Cafe culture in the UK

Laxor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you've got a great pub culture who needs a cafe culture. A lot of pubs serve coffee anyway and the atmosphere is fine in the pub. Also Aus has a lot of cafe's where you can sit outside in the nice weather and have a chat with friends. I know it's hot at the moment there but generally speaking you are sat inside with screaming kids in puschairs. Before you even get to the quality of the coffee.

I was going to like your post until you had to spoil by saying 'generally speaking you are sat outside with screaming kids in pushchairs'. So are you saying Aussie kids don't scream or Aussie mum's don't take their kids to cafes ?

If you've got a great pub culture who needs a cafe culture. A lot of pubs serve coffee anyway and the atmosphere is fine in the pub.

I don't agree. Coffee in pubs whenever I ordered it was always dreadful. It was just not the product they were set up to sell, and they had no interest in it beyond being able to offer something on the rare occasion a customer would ask. Usually either instant coffee or percolated and left to stew for six days on the hotplate. Pubs were great for an evening on the beer, but since the smoking ban they just stank of vinegar, stale beer and piss. They were frequently dirty, dingy and sticky. They may have served cheap food, but it was often mass produced rubbish or nothing much more imaginative than sandwiches, filled rolls or baked potatoes.

So it just has a different name ?

In Australia the way it should be made (not everyone knows) is the hot water goes in first and then the 1 or 2 shots of espresso on top.

This makes sure you get a good crema.

I don't agree. Coffee in pubs whenever I ordered it was always dreadful. It was just not the product they were set up to sell, and they had no interest in it beyond being able to offer something on the rare occasion a customer would ask. Usually either instant coffee or percolated and left to stew for six days on the hotplate. Pubs were great for an evening on the beer, but since the smoking ban they just stank of vinegar, stale beer and piss. They were frequently dirty, dingy and sticky. They may have served cheap food, but it was often mass produced rubbish or nothing much more imaginative than sandwiches, filled rolls or baked potatoes.

You really went to the wrong pubs lol

Brits don't understand what a long black is. You have to ask for an americano.

No you don't - if you ask for an Americano you get a large watery black coffee. A long black is a diluted espresso with a lovely crema on top.

My oh has discovered how to get a long black: ask for a double espresso in a cappuccino cup, with hot water on the side. If the coffee blend is OK and it's a proper coffee machine (and it often isn't), that will give a good long black.

UK cafes make an Americano in an extra large cup or a mug, meaning it's far too watered down for Australian tastes. And yes, we have tried asking them to just put less water in it, or to put it in a smaller cup, and that seems to confuse the staff a lot less than the solution he's come up with!

Brits don't understand what a long black is. You have to ask for an americano.

Aha! We have UK's first Jamaica Blue cafe in Cambridge and they are doing their darndest to get the locals to ask for a Long Black - I think it may be a losing battle though!

As for Southampton, I do recall the Boulangerie Victor Hugo as being a good place for coffee!

No you don't - if you ask for an Americano you get a large watery black coffee. A long black is a diluted espresso with a lovely crema on top.

My oh has discovered how to get a long black: ask for a double espresso in a cappuccino cup, with hot water on the side. If the coffee blend is OK and it's a proper coffee machine (and it often isn't), that will give a good long black.

UK cafes make an Americano in an extra large cup or a mug, meaning it's far too watered down for Australian tastes. And yes, we have tried asking them to just put less water in it, or to put it in a smaller cup, and that seems to confuse the staff a lot less than the solution he's come up with!

That's exactly what my oh does too, although he has found a couple of coffee shops here where they know what he means now.

• 3 weeks later...

Was in town yesterday,and yes a few of our cafes have outside space,either at the front of the shop,or nice areas out the back,so we're not all "stuck inside"in some greasy spoon establishment!Our cafes have lovely hanging baskets/gardens outside,with nice seating and umbrellas for shade.

I don't get the "coffee culture" thing at all.....if you go to Italy its either a standard black coffee or an expresso little one, super strong and super sweet....all this latte and cappuccino rubbish with cream and all the bells and whistles???.....its all a gimmick to make money.

I was driving home from Glastonbury yesterday having had about 8 hrs sleep in the past 4 days.....I was drifting off too sleep whilst driving so stopped in a motorway service station.....went into starbucks and asked for a cup of coffee.....what followed was the most ridiculous conversation I have had in a while asking if I want a latte....cream....long....short.....a cup of coffee please.....latte on the bottom.....coffee on top then milk?......no!.....a cup of coffee......oh.....an americano......whats that (i said).....its coffee and milk.....@#/#!.......seriously......and I paid £2.75 for it!......what a rip off that was.....just unbelievable that coffee has come to this.....I dont get.

My view is.....forget about this migrant Italian influence.....this is about large American corporate business being welcomed into Australia because Australians want to be like Americans.

I'm with you on that. I have stood starring at the menu just thinking to myself, 'all I want is a bleeding cup of coffee!'.

I don't get the "coffee culture" thing at all.....if you go to Italy its either a standard black coffee or an expresso little one, super strong and super sweet....all this latte and cappuccino rubbish with cream and all the bells and whistles???.....went into starbucks and asked for a cup of coffee.....what followed was the most ridiculous conversation I have had in a while asking if I want a latte....cream....long....short.....a cup of coffee please.....latte on the bottom.....coffee on top then milk?......no!.....a cup of coffee......oh.....an americano......whats that (i said).....its coffee and milk.....@#/#!.......seriously......and I paid £2.75 for it!......what a rip off that was.....just unbelievable that coffee has come to this.....I dont get.

My view is.....forget about this migrant Italian influence.....this is about large American corporate business being welcomed into Australia because Australians want to be like Americans.

Yes, that's exactly what Starbucks is - and it was SO unpopular in Australia, they actually went broke. There are only a few surviving Starbucks cafes in Sydney now.

I hate all that American rubbish too - you won't catch me ordering a grande weak soy latte, extra froth, with hazelnut syrup or any of that nonsense. "Proper" Sydney cafes serve the same range of coffees you get in Italy, and some of them won't even offer you skim milk let alone soy!

Y

Why does Australia do it so much better? Due to the UKs proximity to Europe I'm surprised generally at lack of variety and service. Does it also come down to consumer demand? The coffee in the UK is like what you found in Australia 20 years ago. The pub culture is great but when you have work mates in London raving about the quality of coffee at starbuck's one starts to wonder.

In a word ...weather .

The u.k weather is generally changable ( that's putting it politely ) ....you give us a few decent days ....outside of the pubs and cafes are packed...but the weather just isn't consistent enough .

We have just had a new shopping complex built near to where I live ,with cafes and a pub .

On the one or two nice days we've had this summer ,you will struggle to get a seat

You mean the UK wants to be like America. Australian's don't put up with Starbucks or chains, the Canberra one went bust because nobody used it.

Yes, that's exactly what Starbucks is - and it was SO unpopular in Australia, they actually went broke. There are only a few surviving Starbucks cafes in Sydney now.

I hate all that American rubbish too - you won't catch me ordering a grande weak soy latte, extra froth, with hazelnut syrup or any of that nonsense. "Proper" Sydney cafes serve the same range of coffees you get in Italy, and some of them won't even offer you skim milk let alone soy!

So in that respect, the choice is better in the UK? I quite like Starbucks' Soy mocha! What a heathen I must be!

So in that respect, the choice is better in the UK? I quite like Starbucks' Soy mocha! What a heathen I must be!

Nothing wrong with soy for those who have an objection to dairy, I was just saying that if we're talking about European-style cafe culture, I agree that all the fancy bells and whistles aren't part of it.

What Starbucks produces tastes nothing like real coffee, but then it may appeal to people who don't like the taste of real coffee!

Why does Australia do it so much better? Due to the UKs proximity to Europe I'm surprised generally at lack of variety and service. Does it also come down to consumer demand? The coffee in the UK is like what you found in Australia 20 years ago. The pub culture is great but when you have work mates in London raving about the quality of coffee at starbuck's one starts to wonder.

Who'd go to Starbucks? Not me. I've known some wonderful cafes in London over the decades. Quirky and full of character and interesting people.

One for example being on the Old Brompton Road called The Troubadour. Not impressed by the changes but a place of retreat for decades.

Maybe also there is more room for pavement cafes in Australia as well as the weather. Slightly fewer people than, say, London. Many leave their chairs and tables out permanently- can't see that happening with all the thieving Londoners.

Blah blah blah. Generalise much?

I've never been to Starbucks. I've been to Costa coffee twice but never had a hot drink. I love their brownies though - yum yum! Went to pret a manager or whatever it's called, didn't like it very much. Again though - I didn't have a hot drink. Was tempted to try one of their smoothies

Archived