Am I missing something?

Shame you judge the Coasta Brava with that one hotel. We have had some lovely holidays in The Costa Brava in L'Escala and Rosas. More Spanish towns, lots of culture as Dali lived there, beautiful beaches, lovely walks.......

of course just outside of town there were always some more rowdy resorts but we never stayed there.

Same as judging anywhere by one experience or just one area.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many find WA not to their liking. Beach and sporting fixtures don't suit everybody.

Beach doesn't suit me either but I really like it here

ETA - To the OP, sorry to hear that the experience wasn't up to what you thought it would be ... really interested to hear where you visited and which suburb you stayed in. I think in fairness, you haven't seen WA, I've been here 8 years and don't feel I've experienced all WA has to offer.

Edited by ali

No shame on me!We took a train to Barcelona,hired a car and so on,so we're weren't stuck at the hotel.After that holiday,we chose more carefully where we went and where we stayed and have had endless great holidays.I'm speaking from MY experience.Just don't enjoy being surrounded by p***** up people.No shame in that surely?Im sure Costa Brava has some great places/hotels but I tend to stay clear of anywhere with "Full English breakfast" signs!

Just out of curiosity would you say "Shame on you"if someone said they didn't like a part of Australia?

No shame on me!We took a train to Barcelona,hired a car and so on,so we're weren't stuck at the hotel.After that holiday,we chose more carefully where we went and where we stayed and have had endless great holidays.I'm speaking from MY experience.Just don't enjoy being surrounded by p***** up people.No shame in that surely?Im sure Costa Brava has some great places/hotels but I tend to stay clear of anywhere with "Full English breakfast" signs!

Just out of curiosity would you say "Shame on you"if someone said they didn't like a part of Australia?

Horses for courses, holidays to these places do nothing for us either. We like to get off the beaten track and see the real country. We even did that when we went to Ball and got up into the mountains. We spent very little time in the touristy beach areas.

Never ever go to Kuta or Seminak. You'd hate it!

Lol My sister went to Kuta (From Oz)last year and when I googled it,yep I'd hate the place!haha

Bristolman we always steered clear of any well known touristy places after that holiday.Been to so many amazing places away from the madding crowds!Really dislike big holiday resorts where all you hear is british accents!Everyone does the same thing,lay by the pool with a hangover during the day,and head for the bars at night!No thanks.The worlds a big place,easy to get away from tourists if you want to.Had some wonderful holidays in India and Sri Lanka amongst many other places.:cute:

Lol My sister went to Kuta (From Oz)last year and when I googled it,yep I'd hate the place!haha

Bristolman we always steered clear of any well known touristy places after that holiday.Been to so many amazing places away from the madding crowds!Really dislike big holiday resorts where all you hear is british accents!Everyone does the same thing,lay by the pool with a hangover during the day,and head for the bars at night!No thanks.The worlds a big place,easy to get away from tourists if you want to.Had some wonderful holidays in India and Sri Lanka amongst many other places.:cute:

India and Sri Lanka get a big thumbs up from me - especially the areas in the mountains - same with Thailand - I like the Highlands in the north.

I think that is because there is so many Poms pretending that they are "living the dream" in Perth because they are skint and bored but dont want to let on to everyone back home! I lived there for a while and to me if you are under 5 or over 60 Perth could be ok. There was a Marina not far from where I lived, jeez it was like an Episode of Eldorado, but in Oz instead of the Costas!

I'm neither of those ages you mention and love it, so a slight generalisation perhaps? Seriously, I don't mind who hates the place or why, the way of the world is that we're not all going to like the same things, but it really gets a little tiresome when people are constantly knocking people who do like it in WA, making gross generalisations and judgements about others.

I'm neither of those ages you mention and love it, so a slight generalisation perhaps? Seriously, I don't mind who hates the place or why, the way of the world is that we're not all going to like the same things, but it really gets a little tiresome when people are constantly knocking people who do like it in WA, making gross generalisations and judgements about others.

I just laugh at the way one or two of the posters who disliked Perth and went back to the UK go on and on and on and on and on about it :wub: I've been to plenty of places I disliked but I didn't stay there either - I moved on and forgot about it.

I just laugh at the way one or two of the posters who disliked Perth and went back to the UK go on and on and on and on and on about it :wub: I've been to plenty of places I disliked but I didn't stay there either - I moved on and forgot about it.

Yes! 2,000,000 people living in Perth but only 1,999,998 of them are happy there!

No reason for you to get all sarcastic.. I were just expressing my own opinion. I never said anything about the docs,dentists here.you love Australia, good for you,but dont make others feel bad for expressing their feeling.i personally have had a tough time here.i dont hate aus,i just prefer the uk.

You said that Australia is backward, and you said there is not a single that you like about Australia, so that comes pretty close to 'hatred' Just an opinion, OK? So what specifically, do you find 'backward' about Australia?

I'm afraid it has been as ever thus. I don't let it waylay me and carry on regardless. I wonder at times if other darker thoughts are not coming to the surface on reading alternative postings that some would prefer not to acknowledge. It is easier obviously being in the praise Australia club in the wining of 'friends' and likes and that sort of thing.

Your doing a splendid job at pointing out the alternatives concerning your take on things. Just what the forum needs. Keep it up.

I don't mind constructive criticism of Australia, but I hate insults and gross generalisations. I'm the first to knock the things that need knocking in Sydney, especially the traffic, but I will never accept that it is 'backward.'

I don't really get it, who cares if someone doesn't like somewhere you live or somewhere you like ? Get over it and enjoy your life. Even in the short time I have been on here I have seen quite a few people say how they could never live in the UK again, that's fine, it's their choice and their opinion. I love living here and so do my family but that shouldn't affect anyone else's opinion. In Melbourne Perth was always looked at as the wild west, not in a complimentary way and I am sure people in Perth have similar things to say about the East.

So the OP Didnt like Perth.

Could only find fish n Chips to eat.

you Didnt like it, then good move somewhere else.

I live in Perth and can find somewhere that serves food from all over the world.

we really don't need anyone else that needs their hand holding:mad:

I don't really get it, who cares if someone doesn't like somewhere you live or somewhere you like ? Get over it and enjoy your life. Even in the short time I have been on here I have seen quite a few people say how they could never live in the UK again, that's fine, it's their choice and their opinion. I love living here and so do my family but that shouldn't affect anyone else's opinion. In Melbourne Perth was always looked at as the wild west, not in a complimentary way and I am sure people in Perth have similar things to say about the East.

I could live in the UK again or France or Canada - I would never knock those countries but Australia is my home now and I'm too old to be faffing around moving from one country to another :wink:

Well said jock

That's an interesting point JinT and very well put.

I sometimes wonder how people who were born and bred here who have gone to AU or anywhere for that matter, have grown to dislike their homeland so much for there new home, how they'd feel if they ever had to return for whatever reason. All well and good, but I think ones origins should be respected and never forgotten irrespective how wonderful ones life is elsewhere.

Now, it's different for those who chose to return because they did not like it, because we compare things and share our opinions re. a place that was never our home anyway.

Just a thought.

I can't read the full ten pages of this as a lot of it seems like nonsense to be honest.

Complaining about food though? Asian food is better in Australia than it is in Asia! I will give the OP that fish and chips are crap in Oz mind, food in general is not though.

as for a burnt pizza in Pizza Hut hardly a reflection on a nation is it lol.

I can't read the full ten pages of this as a lot of it seems like nonsense to be honest.

Complaining about food though? Asian food is better in Australia than it is in Asia! I will give the OP that fish and chips are crap in Oz mind, food in general is not though.

as for a burnt pizza in Pizza Hut hardly a reflection on a nation is it lol.

Best Asian food I have ever had was in Singapore, absolutely mindblowing.

Best Asian food I have ever had was in Singapore, absolutely mindblowing.

Yep, me too - a pal of mine lives and works there and he took us down a dodgy little back alley with steam rising through grills in the ground, up a little twisty metal staircase bolted onto the side of a old building through a knackered front door (the only thing missing were cats knocking over dustbins!) ..........and stepped into an sumptuous Vietnamese restaurant for a two hour lunch......The food was incredible and interesting and cheap as chips....or is it rice..... Magic experience, right up there in the memory bank.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying 'the fish and chips is rubbish' I meant 'all you can get is fish and chips' although obviously in central Perth I'm such there is more variety.

I wasnt just slaughtering the place either. I enjoyed my month there. My point was that as a holiday it was fine, but I was expecting much more. The way it is portrayed in the UK is like some sort of Utopia and I just never found that (not Australia's fault).

The best way I can describe it is I was there for a whole month and still couldn't tell you what Australia's personality is , you go most places in Europe and within a day you know what it's personality is. With Australia everything was just so generic.

Clearly some people disagree, otherwise they wouldn't choose to live there. As I say I have a fair bit of family out there and also most of the people I grew up with now live out there, I know the majority of them love it.

[EDIT sorry just realised I quoted the wrong person-I meant

to quote somebody picking me up on 'fish and chips' - I wouldn't go to a foreign country and moan about there fish and chips!]

Is Australia really portrayed as anything in particular in the UK? Other than on Wanted a down Under that is? Perhaps your problem was that you were expecting something you saw on Wanted Down Under.

You mentioned "outdoorsy lifestyle" and going to the beach after work every day. Myths. We don't have a personality transplant on the way over, the people that were outdoorsy in UK will be outdoorsy in Australia and if you are not it won't change - those that use weather as an excuse in UK wil surely do so in Australia as well. We lived ten minute walk from the beach and did not once go to it after work in five years. It is usually getting too late and too dark by then and daily household jobs need doing at the end of the day.

I am kind of surprised that you spent a month holiday in Perth too. We lived on the East Coast but spent a few weeks in WA and Perth at the end of last year and barely scratched the surface of things to do and places to see.

To your overall themes though, I probably agree that those expecting Australia to be some kind of Utopia may well be disappointed. However that is hardly Australia's fault.