Am I missing something?

It must make it very difficult for you, not being able to use the 'backward' Australian services. I guess you have to fly home every time you need to see a dentist, doctor, or other professional?

No reason for you to get all sarcastic.. I were just expressing my own opinion. I never said anything about the docs,dentists here.you love Australia, good for you,but dont make others feel bad for expressing their feeling.i personally have had a tough time here.i dont hate aus,i just prefer the uk.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself reasonably intelligent, but what is culture? How do you discover if a country or place is missing it? I've been here four years and don't feel any different than being in Europe.

People who criticise the food often cite missing the 10 quid deals at M&S or the readimeals at Tesco - go figure.. I personally believe you have to get off the plane looking forward. Australia is now the life you have chosen and you need to put everything into building that new life, so it's the best it can possibly be. If you spend your time comparing, or looking over your shoulder at what you miss about your old life, it will be twice as hard to adapt.

Yes true but on the other hand little point in bigging everything up and calling it better either. As such there is more chance of accepting the shortfalls and moving on to the positives. A blank denial will hardly win the day. At the end of the day whichever tally's up the most points will be the deciding factor to stay or go or to even bother in the first place.

I know what you mean too...and im very glad i came out here,made me realise how advanced the uk is,i will appreciate the uk alot more,including the weather.its not just fish and chips,i find all the other food is awful too,not even pizza hut is the same here,i got half burnt pizza from them once!i dont expect that from pizza hut.

Yeah Pizza Hut and their well known culinary quality! disgraceful!

Pizza for $5 I don't expect that, I want to pay 15 pounds!

Yes, you are missing something. You haven't experienced Australia....you've experienced WA.

By the sound of it he's not experienced WA. If he was bored I can't for the life of me work out why. There's just not enough hours in the day for me, especially weekends.

Ah well, not for everyone.

Since you mention dentist, I think the service you get here is far superior, yes you have to pay a lot for it but if the NHS had given the same standard of treatment that I receive now I wouldnt be using the dentist here so much!

I have an excellent dentist apart from cost. First to do laser in WA. Took a lot of finding though and the service can be very average here as well. I have experienced such. I had a few decent Aussie dentists over the years in London and one horrible dentist from another country who created a degree of damage. I just wished I commenced legal proceedings against that incompetent at the time.

Cost a major factor though in good care in Australia. Hence many go to Asia and return for the most part with great results at a third the price.

At least things look potentially to be on the rise. A new Indian has opened a short walk from me called Brick Lane, British Curry House. Intend to give it a try very soon. Great comments but being Perth hardly cheap.

Cod is somewhat difficult to find on the fish menu.

About on a par with flake.:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Hell yes, the dentists here are far superior to the NHS (maybe not to private) treatments.

Had resin repairs to my front teeth after getting hit in the face playing hockey and they need replacing every now and then, the quality of replacement here (Canberra and Melbourne) is outstanding.

Also, it's nice that the Aussie dentist actually tried matching the colour and shape of my front teeth instead of just filling the gap!

I used to hate going to the dentist before I left the UK. OK, so it was free, as in 'free torture!' The dentists I saw in OZ largely cured me of those fears. To be fair, the Pommie dentists I saw when went back after eighteen years, were much better, albeit it all now private practices.

At least things look potentially to be on the rise. A new Indian has opened a short walk from me called Brick Lane, British Curry House. Intend to give it a try very soon. Great comments but being Perth hardly cheap.

Cod is somewhat difficult to find on the fish menu.

Off to Glasgow in a month so hopefully load up on some good British Indian while there (told it does great curry)

Plenty of Cod round here, can even get imported British Cod from a British chippy but to be honest I prefer Snapper now.

They said they liked the beach and the outdoor lifestyle. It was the lack of culture, and living in a time warp that got them down?

Indeed but I meant more as a general comment. If one is a cultural buff of any magnitude Perth would not be the city to focus on. A time wrap is a statement with regards to Perth I have been hearing for forty years. I wouldn't dream of speaking for the poster, but perhaps what some mean is insular and conservative. There I would agree. Perth has transformed over recent years. Hardly a time wrap, at least in my terms of the meaning. No time wrap in the futuristic price charges either. Very 2025.

Off to Glasgow in a month so hopefully load up on some good British Indian while there (told it does great curry)

Plenty of Cod round here, can even get imported British Cod from a British chippy but to be honest I prefer Snapper now.

Best curry I've every had was in an Indian place near Stirling castle.

I have an excellent dentist apart from cost. First to do laser in WA. Took a lot of finding though and the service can be very average here as well. I have experienced such. I had a few decent Aussie dentists over the years in London and one horrible dentist from another country who created a degree of damage. I just wished I commenced legal proceedings against that incompetent at the time.

Cost a major factor though in good care in Australia. Hence many go to Asia and return for the most part with great results at a third the price.

Some friends of ours flew out to Bangkok yesterday for the second and final stage of dental work, so that has meant two return flights for two, 5 weeks of holiday (well sort of) hotels etc and still comes out saving money.

Whilst I went to my local dentist for a check-up, she said I do a good job of cleaning my teeth (I do now but paying the price for not doing so when younger) but she still went and did a clean/descale $122 just for that, it took about 3 minutes so lets say 4 that equates to over $1800 per hour:wacko:, so if anybody out there are looking for a new direction in work!!!!

Indeed but I meant more as a general comment. If one is a cultural buff of any magnitude Perth would not be the city to focus on. A time wrap is a statement with regards to Perth I have been hearing for forty years. I wouldn't dream of speaking for the poster, but perhaps what some mean is insular and conservative. There I would agree. Perth has transformed over recent years. Hardly a time wrap, at least in my terms of the meaning. No time wrap in the futuristic price charges either. Very 2025.

But there must be at least one theatre, one concert hall, one museum, one art gallery, one social group in a city the size of Perth where you can engage in a little 'culture?' I'll Google and see if there is anything vaguely 'arty' available. Doesn't Tim Winton come from WA?

[h=1]Upcoming Theatre Events in Perth[/h] Displaying all upcoming Theatre Perth events

This may also interest you 6613.png The Eagles Austra*lian Tour 2015 The Eagles Austra*lian Tour. The Eagles will be perfor*ming in Perth, Melbourne, Woodend ... rmN5jAStvLR55li_237x106_7198.jpg Want to move house with less stress? Try these expert tips to get you into your new place with less pain. 999999_en.png 6600.jpg Missy Higgins - OZ Austra*lian Tour Beloved Aussie singer/song*writer Missy Higgins has just announced a one-off Austra*lian Tour... 6616.jpg AC/DC The Rock Or Bust World Tour AC/DC Austra*lian Tour. AC/DC will be perfor*ming in Sydney, Bris*bane, Adelaide, Perth and... 81AzcuWa8FQ1vFo_237x106_7245.jpg Where to invest offs*hore. Get the trends right Think it's too late to invest offs*hore? That boat hasn’t sailed yet 999999_en.png 6599.png The Amity Afflic*tion Tour The Amity Afflic*tion have announced 'The Weigh Down*under' Tour will ...

logo_plista_lightgray_ffffff_alpha.png powered by plista

[h=2]News[/h]

[h=3]Sign up to our Newsletter[/h] Receive our weekly newsletter & updates with new events from your favourite artists & venues.

Your Email Address

Some friends of ours flew out to Bangkok yesterday for the second and final stage of dental work, so that has meant two return flights for two, 5 weeks of holiday (well sort of) hotels etc and still comes out saving money.

Whilst I went to my local dentist for a check-up, she said I do a good job of cleaning my teeth (I do now but paying the price for not doing so when younger) but she still went and did a clean/descale $122 just for that, it took about 3 minutes so lets say 4 that equates to over $1800 per hour:wacko:, so if anybody out there are looking for a new direction in work!!!!

There's nothing wrong with the dental care in Thailand, as long as nothing does go wrong. What do you do then?