Am I missing something?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some friends of ours flew out to Bangkok yesterday for the second and final stage of dental work, so that has meant two return flights for two, 5 weeks of holiday (well sort of) hotels etc and still comes out saving money.

Whilst I went to my local dentist for a check-up, she said I do a good job of cleaning my teeth (I do now but paying the price for not doing so when younger) but she still went and did a clean/descale $122 just for that, it took about 3 minutes so lets say 4 that equates to over $1800 per hour:wacko:, so if anybody out there are looking for a new direction in work!!!!

Shop around a bit K&L. Our dentist is brilliant but I reckon you are being ripped off. As far as taking the risk of having any sort of work done in Bangkok, or anywhere else, just 'cos it might be a bit cheaper, I still wouldn't risk it. What if you get back and a cap falls off? You would end up going to a local to get it fixed up. No gurantees and just the worry of infection would be enough to put me off.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying 'the fish and chips is rubbish' I meant 'all you can get is fish and chips' although obviously in central Perth I'm such there is more variety.

I wasnt just slaughtering the place either. I enjoyed my month there. My point was that as a holiday it was fine, but I was expecting much more. The way it is portrayed in the UK is like some sort of Utopia and I just never found that (not Australia's fault).

The best way I can describe it is I was there for a whole month and still couldn't tell you what Australia's personality is , you go most places in Europe and within a day you know what it's personality is. With Australia everything was just so generic.

Clearly some people disagree, otherwise they wouldn't choose to live there. As I say I have a fair bit of family out there and also most of the people I grew up with now live out there, I know the majority of them love it.

[EDIT sorry just realised I quoted the wrong person-I meant

to quote somebody picking me up on 'fish and chips' - I wouldn't go to a foreign country and moan about there fish and chips!]

We would have to know where you stayed mate if you said you could only get fish and chips. Must have been out in the sticks to say the least. There are restaurants galore from the Northern suburbs as far as Yanchep, all the way down Marmion to Hillary's and once you get to Hillary's even more between there and Freo. Places like Mullaloo, Hillary's boat Harbour, Scarborough, Cottelsoe and Freo itself. You could have gone to any one of lots of restaurants, some with great sea views that wouldn't have been expensive. That's without thinking of the heaps of restaurants that are in Joondalup and surrounds.

Maybe your hosts didn't show you round enough? Sounds like you missed out on a lot of things.:cool:

I'm sure you don't need reminding that you live a very un Australian lifestyle. As do I but being in Perth to a far lesser extent. You live in the third most densest part of Sydney from memory and as thus can almost relate as living in London in at least accessibility.

Yes there are all sorts of deals available in London to avoid paying full price. Time of performance, season and so on. I used to purchase tickets at the cut price office some thirty years back. No idea how it works now as haven't been to a West End show on last couple of returns.

Far easier to find cultural buffs in Europe than here. Especially in art. Went a philistine as you call it in art to France and through relationships left years later able to hold (more or less) my own in discussion together with views of that subject. Same only more so with film. Never would have had that exposure in Perth.

What do you call an un-Australian lifestyle flag? To me the lifestyle that Maryrose leads just demonstrates that Aus provides just about any lifestyle you want. I know mine is probably classed as a very Australian lifestyle, living near the beach, suburb 30Km out of Perth, love sport and spend lots of time doing it, love the sun, heat and sand between my toes. I know this isn't for everyone and Maryrose has a different lifestyle to me. Doesn't mean that it's un-Australian though.

I'm sure you have a different lifestyle to me and it will be as Australian a lifestyle as mine, simply because you are here.:cool:

I'd say the infrastructure is somewhat backward in not moving forwards in Sydney. I didn't find much to fault with the comments of the poster. No need for me to agree with all comments but like London, Sydney up there with the best when it comes to price must expect a few slaps and unexpected under cuts at times.

I might use the word 'backward' in relation to Sydney's infrastructure policies, but 'backward' in this case was used to denigrate Sydney and Australia as being 'behind' the UK.

We had a free hand when deciding where to go to live in Australia. I am very keen to visit and see Perth and the Western Australia coastline but we were put off by the isolation of the place really (and house prices too but that was a minor consideration).

I always think comments like stepped back in time to 1962 quite ridiculous. I would be surprised if you remember 1962 first hand. I am one of the older contributors and I was 2 years old then. Perth looks to be a modern city and certainly nothing like the place in UK where I lived in the 1960s where hardly anyone owned a car, TV, home telephone, freezer, washing machine etc so really nothing like the 1960s.

Like anywhere there are pluses and minuses and you have indicated these from your perspective. I think the main issue though was your expectation. Basically it did not live up to the hype in your view. In general life in Australia is considered to be better I feel but that view is mainly propogated by people who have been there either travelling or have lived for some time.

Perth and WA in particular does seem to have a distinct difference from other areas in Australia reading these forums as it is like Marmite and seems to receive the most negativity. That said there are plenty of people who clearly love everything it has to offer. I feel that indirectly to label such folk as backward is gratuitously insulting but it happens far too often imo.

I've been to a lot of places in Aus and had the opportunity to stay a month or so in some of them. Sydney probably the most. What I have found is every one is different and I don't feel any more isolated in Perth than I did anywhere else. Perth IMO has the best weather, very few extremes, we don't get nearly as many storms and rain as even Queensland for example. The City is one of the most modern and clean and in a few years it could be a lot like Sydney if it keeps on growing.

It's not different in a dramatic way from any of the other Cities. The only Capital City I can think of that would feel a lot different is Canberra and that's because it's not on the coast.

I don't disagree with what you say, nor do I think of it is El Dorado, or perfect. I'll be honest that what I find irritating it's generally accepted that it's ok to knock the people that live here and like doing so judgements about those people being that they've been dragged up in a bad area of the UK so anything is better than that, you have to like the beach lifestyle etc. etc., and if you don't like it then you've seen the light. People are up in arms when negatives are said about the UK, so much so admin accommodated those returning to the UK with a private part of the forum, yet for those of us who live and like living in Perth are subject to very similar 'bashing'.

Not a bad idea to set up a closed forum just for the handful of OZ-haters to agree with each other about how much they hate OZ, whilst the rest of us would be happy to be excluded!

We would have to know where you stayed mate if you said you could only get fish and chips. Must have been out in the sticks to say the least. There are restaurants galore from the Northern suburbs as far as Yanchep, all the way down Marmion to Hillary's and once you get to Hillary's even more between there and Freo. Places like Mullaloo, Hillary's boat Harbour, Scarborough, Cottelsoe and Freo itself. You could have gone to any one of lots of restaurants, some with great sea views that wouldn't have been expensive. That's without thinking of the heaps of restaurants that are in Joondalup and surrounds.

Maybe your hosts didn't show you round enough? Sounds like you missed out on a lot of things.:cool:

I can already picture the suburb, without ever having been there, a little line of shops with one combined Chinese and 'Aussie' takeaway, a newspaper shop, 7-11, bottle shop, maybe a pub. Actually, I'm describing the village I came from in the UK!

Yes I also prefer aussie fish and chips.To greasy for me over here and the chips are always soggy!

There is a great new one that has opened near me called 'Surry Gills' (sic.) I had chowder there with my brother a couple of weeks back. Sydney has a huge and very popular fish market. Come to think of it, despite living in a coastal area in the UK, near Southampton, I don't remember a 'proper' fish market anywhere close to me.

Are there really many on here that HATE the UK? I reckon the vast majority don't hate their place of birth, I know I certainly don't .

I certainly don't hate my country of birth. I spent my first eighteen years in OZ, continously going back to see my parents, with them making the trip the other way almost as frequently, then I went back for twelve years. I could go back tomorrow, but, since my parents died, I've no reason to go there now.

On my travels around the world, both holidays and living, I have always been gobsmacked by the number of British (English) folk paying all that money to go overseas on holidays and then look for the English pub/cafes/shops, anything with a Union Flag on display:wacko:, Even in Florida at the Epcot centre with all the themed villages from around the world, the British themed pub was packed to the gunnels with Brits wanting a piece of England........... beer and Bangers & Mash!:confused:

I believe that a few that move to Australia (and no doubt other countries) bring with them that same attitude and find it impossible to change, but of course it's not their fault, it's the place that has got it all wrong!

'The Rover's Return?' Or 'The Queen Vic!'

I'm wondering......people who emigrated to Oz?Did you holiday in say Benidorm or somewhere similar?I personally dislike that type of holiday myself.Full of p***** up brits abroad.When I first came to the UK from Australia,my OH (A brit)suggested we take the kids to Costa Brava.Never been to Spain and we were genuinely excited about going.However once we got there?My god! Never again! We unpacked and headed for the pool.Loads of p***** up adults letting their kids run amok! Its that's their idea of a "family"holiday they can keep it. I often wonder if some posters did these type of holidays,and then figured they could do the same in Oz but live?

OP I accept your views of Perth actually.I've never been myself.I did watch a show (did a post of this beginning of this week)on WA and thought it was stunning!However.....you've been there and experienced it yourself,so you are seeing it from your viewpoint. Everyone is different and you're entitled to your opinion.

When I was in my teens and early 20's I went to Benidorm, Majorca, Ibiza with a bunch of mates. Loved them all, hardly slept and had a ball. When I got a bit older and went with my wife we went to mainland Spain and Majorca, but different places. Not all Majorca is like the super touristy, pommy places you see, it's quite a big Island really.:yes:

One thing we used to do, even when I was with mates was avoid the pool culture and round the hotel like the plague. Like you say full of half p***** English with kids running around. No we used to make a bee-line for the beach and the topless foreign girls.:cool:

Actually learned to water ski in Benidorm, when they had the cable ski in the bay. Must have been about 1969.:laugh: Thought we had landed in heaven, litre of beer about the same as half a pint, everywhere open all night, drinking champagne out of pint pots and the girls were there for exactly the same thing as the guys, a quick holiday fling, brilliant.

What do you call an un-Australian lifestyle flag? To me the lifestyle that Maryrose leads just demonstrates that Aus provides just about any lifestyle you want. I know mine is probably classed as a very Australian lifestyle, living near the beach, suburb 30Km out of Perth, love sport and spend lots of time doing it, love the sun, heat and sand between my toes. I know this isn't for everyone and Maryrose has a different lifestyle to me. Doesn't mean that it's un-Australian though.

I'm sure you have a different lifestyle to me and it will be as Australian a lifestyle as mine, simply because you are here.:cool:

Thanks for 'defending' my lifestyle in Sydney, Paul! 'Un-Australian?' I wonder what aspect of it is Flag alluding to? I do go to the pub too much, but that probably makes me 'MORE' Australian!? I didn't get down there untll 1130pm last night to find all my Aussie mates waiting for me!

I had never lived in a city until I came to Australia. My English life was always village-based, with a journey to the 'Big Smoke', i.e. Southampton, involving an hour on bus or bus/ferry. Here in Surry Hills, I could walk to Sydney Town Hall in about twenty minutes.

I would think that no particular lifestyle is either 'Un-Australian' or 'Australian?' Mine has changed this year, taking on an Open University course to make up for lack of work, but I still like to go to the beach almost every day. Some Aussies hate the beach, or they live so far away that they develop an alternative, based on whatever they want.

Yes I also prefer aussie fish and chips.To greasy for me over here and the chips are always soggy!

I don't mind chips like that - and I feel that fish, like fine wine, is best after being laid down for a while rather than prepared to order...

I could understand if they were talking about Delhi or Karachi .................... anyway they're back where they want to be ............... thank goodness :wink:

Don't know Jock there are a few still ranting about Perth that have been here years and still don't like it. You would think that they would have gone long ago.:wink:

Best Asian food I have ever had was in Singapore, absolutely mindblowing.

Not a massive fan of Asian food I have to say. All seems like pretty crap and cheap cuts of meat, cooked for a long time and thrown together with a bunch of veggies. Soy sauce seems to improve everything though.

Some of the best I've had is from Kulcha in Joondalup, cheap too, don't know how they do it or the price. My son used to go out with a Malaysian who's family live on Christmas Island and even she said it was pretty authentic. You can get a starter, main meal and a beer for about $20. Try it if you've never been.

Good to see Mister Maker coming to Perf.

Gee, the place has really become highbrow!

But there must be at least one theatre, one concert hall, one museum, one art gallery, one social group in a city the size of Perth where you can engage in a little 'culture?' I'll Google and see if there is anything vaguely 'arty' available. Doesn't Tim Winton come from WA?

Upcoming Theatre Events in Perth

Displaying all upcoming Theatre Perth events

This may also interest you 6613.png The Eagles Austra*lian Tour 2015 The Eagles Austra*lian Tour. The Eagles will be perfor*ming in Perth, Melbourne, Woodend ... rmN5jAStvLR55li_237x106_7198.jpg Want to move house with less stress? Try these expert tips to get you into your new place with less pain. 999999_en.png 6600.jpg Missy Higgins - OZ Austra*lian Tour Beloved Aussie singer/song*writer Missy Higgins has just announced a one-off Austra*lian Tour... 6616.jpg AC/DC The Rock Or Bust World Tour AC/DC Austra*lian Tour. AC/DC will be perfor*ming in Sydney, Bris*bane, Adelaide, Perth and... 81AzcuWa8FQ1vFo_237x106_7245.jpg Where to invest offs*hore. Get the trends right Think it's too late to invest offs*hore? That boat hasn’t sailed yet 999999_en.png 6599.png The Amity Afflic*tion Tour The Amity Afflic*tion have announced 'The Weigh Down*under' Tour will ...

logo_plista_lightgray_ffffff_alpha.png powered by plista

News

Receive our weekly newsletter & updates with new events from your favourite artists & venues.

Your Email Address

The beach culture is well ingrained though as to identify Perth along with the weather. This is regardless of the fact that no one I know ventures to the beach these days, apart from the odd summer picnic in the evenings.

This is perhaps the biggest cultural change over the decades. That and pub culture.

Perth and its metro area, suits some while naturally not others. Little secret there I'd have thought. Still beats me why so many are defensive against those not seeing it as some sort of El Dolardo. Seen far too many come and go over the decades, some for no real reason other than growing out of it and discovering more to life elsewhere. Others prefer the style on offer.

No the OP hasn't seen anything like all of WA. But Perth didn't float their boat, and travel around the state is very expensive and perhaps the funds were not available. Perhaps the OP thought other places better suited to personal requirements to see at a better price. We don't know.

Staying in outer Perth I can well imagine as challenging to many. If the OP had stayed where I live perhaps another experience could have been attained. The freedom to walk to bars and cafes and the city on the doorstep with the ability to stay out late and take a bus back almost to the door or a train would I imagine have coloured experiences differently.

It's not changed flag, beaches and bars are still packed mate, just that you don't go the beach any more and very rarely bars by the sound of it.

I don't disagree with what you say, nor do I think of it is El Dorado, or perfect. I'll be honest that what I find irritating it's generally accepted that it's ok to knock the people that live here and like doing so judgements about those people being that they've been dragged up in a bad area of the UK so anything is better than that, you have to like the beach lifestyle etc. etc., and if you don't like it then you've seen the light. People are up in arms when negatives are said about the UK, so much so admin accommodated those returning to the UK with a private part of the forum, yet for those of us who live and like living in Perth are subject to very similar 'bashing'.

I wouldn't want to be so precious as to have a special part of the forum set aside. I can't understand why people call others bullies??? It's a forum where people just post how they feel, if you can't handle that on-line I would suggest never going on social media again. This forum is pretty tame compared to most.

I can already picture the suburb, without ever having been there, a little line of shops with one combined Chinese and 'Aussie' takeaway, a newspaper shop, 7-11, bottle shop, maybe a pub. Actually, I'm describing the village I came from in the UK!

:laugh:

Brilliant Maryrose, not too far from the truth. We have a chippy, a chinese, an aussie restaurant (good too) and an IGA with bottleshop across the road and a pub by the beach. Must be a bit upmarket as the restaurants are all separate.:laugh: Has a nice villagey feel to it though, can hardly go over the shops without seeing someone we know and having a chat. A trip that should take 5 minutes can take 10.

And here will all are living halfway round the world on a pommie website talking to other poms.slightly contradictive

Not really, the topics discussed on this forum are not just about poms and pommie subjects, there are quite a few threads totally Australiana related. Also not all members are poms either. It is also very informative in helping others (and not only poms ) on how to get to Australia, help them when here and become Australian.

I think that may apply in a few cases but more the case of voices of dissent are targeted. Often quite aggressively so. It does/did feel at times like ganging up in order to shut them down. This has been the case since I joined Poms in OZ but it ebbs and flows. I think perhaps there is more questioning of late?

With regards to people being dragged up as you put it in a bad area of UK, well not the words I would have used but it certainly is a point. Australia wasn't knowing as the working man's paradise for nought. Although that will be unwinding as new economic rational comes more of a reality.