Am I missing something?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the UK next month. Can't wait to ask for a grilled fish, a portion of calamari and a side salad...

Surely Pie-Floater with mushy peas?

Pie-fection here in Brissie do marvellous floaters! No need to travel to UK to snap up that mushy pea loveliness

Gotta love that name! Must have taken them literally minutes to think it up!

Recently spent a month over in WA, first time in Oz. I have family out there. Basically I was really looking forward to going as I've always wanted to experience Australia.

Ive noticed that there are so many people emigrating there without even ever having been there before. So if your one of them it's probably healthy to get some mixed opinions on the place. Anyway here's my thoughts.

First of all, good things. Weather is marvellous. I can see how bringing kids up here would appeal to people, much more outdoorsy life, the beach after school/work is a winner. They have parrots, we have pigeons. Also, where we where there was a brilliant social circle, people really went out of there way to bother with one another, this is probably due to a lack of family, therefore substituting family with friends.

However, if took me about 5 days before I starting thinking 'surely this isn't it'.

I must admit, after spending a month there, I just don't get it. Australia is by far the overated place

I have ever been.

There is a distinct lack of culture, the food is terrible (fish and chips anyone?) extremely expensive, borderline backwards and I genuinely felt like I had stepped into a time machine and came out in 1962.

I really wanted to love Australia, it was a dream to go there. But I have never been so underwhelmed in my life. There is very little to do there. I'm glad I went because I actually find myself appreciating the UK a lot more.

I would love to visit again, but the East Coast where I've heard there is much more culture and things to see/do.

It's interesting browsing the forum because you very rarely see or hear anything negative about the place in everyday life, but there is a good mix of opinion on this forum.

I think I know what you're missing.

I've never heard of a Pie-Floater

They used to be regarded as an Adelaide speciality in Australia. When I lived there in the '70s there was a pie cart at the Adelaide train station which was famous for its pie-floaters, apparently (never tried them myself).

Have never seen them anywhere else in Oz either.