Six months here and this is my thoughts!

Kellie23

The exchange rate is really working out well for you and others moving here.

Good news for you.

Unfortunate for those moving back they didn't move a few years back.

Just dumb luck I suppose either way, but good for you.

Yes, totally down to luck as the timings were not in our control really. Makes me think it was meant to be really. :cool:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of these Swedes enjoying the sub zero temeratures are pensioners I wonder.

Hard to say, as i dont know many that age group. But, the couple who live opposite me i chat to as he was a geologist at the mine in town and are retired - i would guess aged early 60's and are spending the weekend camping on the frozen lake to the north of town. He will be ice fishing and she will drive to the ski resort just north of there and spend the days skiing. The government are very big on promoting retired people to stay active and so things like skiing is either free or very cheap for people over 60.

Interestingly, i have not met anyone here who could be classed as obese or even fat. Which, i think comes from both diet - reindeer is the most popular meat and has almost no fat and fruit and veg is subsidized by the state so one of the cheapest things you can buy. Then, the mass obsession with the wilderness and getting out into it. Particularly in winter - in summer, the snow is gone for a couple of months and the bears are awake, so people avoid the woods. But, summer here is very brief. The sun will rise on 27 May and stay above the horizon until August, so by end of June the snow has gone. But, by early September, it will be snowing hard again and temperatures back into the negatives. Oddly, the people hate summer because it deprives them of the winter sports for about 8 weeks, though hiking is very popular through this period and it is easy to see why.

I agree. Watch this space. I will be honest in my comments.

I'll be interested to see! As a matter of interest, what led you to choose Brisbane? In your shoes - assuming you don't have a driving need to get a top-flight job and also aren't a died-in-the-wool city slicker like me - I'd have imagined you being much happier in Northern NSW (somewhere like Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie or even Newcastle) where you can get the mild sunny winter you crave without the suffocating humidity, extreme weather and mozzie-borne diseases of Queensland in summer.

I'll be interested to see! As a matter of interest, what led you to choose Brisbane? In your shoes - assuming you don't have a driving need to get a top-flight job and also aren't a died-in-the-wool city slicker like me - I'd have imagined you being much happier in Northern NSW (somewhere like Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie or even Newcastle) where you can get the mild sunny winter you crave without the suffocating humidity, extreme weather and mozzie-borne diseases of Queensland in summer.

Marisa some of us cope fine in Qld, and love living here. I realise the heat affects you badly, but I am older than you, and there are only a handful of days that are that bad, and keep me inside with the air con on. Just as there are dreadfully cold snowy or miserable wet days in UK that would keep me inside with the central heating on.

How are your plans going for moving to UK? Have you decided where you will settle? we moved like you in retirement and have never regretted it, wish you all the best, and let us know how you get on please.

"Queensland in summer"...is a massive place, Brisbane totally different to Cairns and different to Toowoomba...Brisbane is not affected by Cairns humidity or get hit by cyclones...Toowoomba is far colder...regional places are far more temperate and dryer....

How are your plans going for moving to UK? Have you decided where you will settle? we moved like you in retirement and have never regretted it, wish you all the best, and let us know how you get on please.

Moving at the end of April and starting out in Bournemouth. We're almost sure it will be just a temporary move: we'll have to leave when we start having to draw on our superannuation. The tax penalties - and the inability to claim the Aussie pension - are going to cost us too much, unless the cost of living in the UK is dramatically cheaper than Oz (which I don't believe it is, but of course a lot depends on where we settle).

While we're in the UK we'll look into options in Europe for our old age, where at least we'll be able to claim the Australian pension.

I don't think most people are thinking about relaxing on a shady verandah when they talk about an outdoor lifestyle.

I think this is a big part of it...eating outside, sitting outside, using the pool...all big things. Also bush walking is popular, but more in the cross months and winter. Though more of the outdoor life is just general day to day things in the city like outdoor sport, cycling to work, walking in parks, kids playing on swings etc. Can be very unpleasant in the heat of the day in summer but many days of the year it can be great.

Also winter is rarely mentioned when comparing...winter can be absolutely fantastic for outdoor stuff in parts of Australia....mild, dry and sunny...

Of course it does depend on the year...this has been the worst summer for a long time so can understand the OP's experience...I've wanted to move to the UK this summer as well and I'm Australian ;)

I sometimes wonder if I live in the Same city as VS??

im only 20 mins from him, yet see where I live in a totally different light.

ive never felt the need to hide Indoors during summer, I've seen quotes that we have more rainfall than xx in the UK, maybe we do, I don't know, I've never had the urge to look it up.

but we don't get that rainfall all year, ie we don't get anything in summer, the rest of the time, it tends to be dumped in a day, not grey rainy skies day in day out.

Is it a more outdoorsy lifestyle ..well that depends on the person.

For us it is, that's because we get out there and enjoy it.

our little house in the UK had four TVs, one in the living room and one in each used bedroom, the spare room Didnt have.

here we have one, its tucked out of the way in the theatre room, I watched two films on it last winter, I've never in 3 years switched it own to watch TV. Why would I, if we are home, we sit out, watching the sunset, talking, having friends round.

I would prop do the same in a snowy country, its still bright blue skies, I've always come home with a suntan when skiing abroad.

great après ski.

you only want to hide indoors, when its cold, grey n miserable

I can only comment on WA - but, given Perth has a higher rainfall than Surrey - by almost double, you can right off may to september. Then deduct the days when the flies come in waving hands, arms, books and anything you can get your hands on, before quickly heading in doors - you will sit. Then the mosquitoes. Then the days, when even in the shade, it is far to uncomfortable to sit outdoors due to the heat - well, you can, if you dont mind burnt skin, skin cancer risks and sitting in a pool of sweat

Wow, that's areal Debbie Downer glass half empty view? A million miles from my experience of Perth. Just shows, depends on mindset

I thought Perth was a lovely place to live but the flies are pretty bad there. All depends on the person though. When my sister visited us, she and I took a trip to Alice Springs and Uluru. She loved the heat and everything about the place - the flies were absolutely awful. Persistent pests - in your eyes, nose ears. Whilst she was strolling around taking photos, I was saying to myself "what am I doing here. It's horrible". Needless to say, I've never been back :wink: Other people think it's great.

I thought Perth was a lovely place to live but the flies are pretty bad there. All depends on the person though. When my sister visited us, she and I took a trip to Alice Springs and Uluru. She loved the heat and everything about the place - the flies were absolutely awful. Persistent pests - in your eyes, nose ears. Whilst she was strolling around taking photos, I was saying to myself "what am I doing here. It's horrible". Needless to say, I've never been back :wink: Other people think it's great.

Doesn't Perth only have flies for 6 weeks or something like that ?

I would say they are bad for about six weeks out of a whole year.

yes they are annoying....but nowhere near as annoying as the bees n wasps that can blight a UK summers day.

give me the walk of fly Tourette's anyday over the stinging of a bleeding wasp just cos I opened a can of pop at a picnic table:mad:

"I sometimes wonder if I live in the Same city as VS??

im only 20 mins from him, yet see where I live in a totally different light........"

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head @fifi69. There are, in general, so many posts and so many posters who describe an experience as if it is a fact rather than a personal point of view. I enjoy a meal, but some one else might hate it because our tastes are different – apply that to a book, a job, an area to live, a country ……we see and value things based on our own experience in life, our expectations, hopes and personal tastes or preferences. If anyone has to be right, we probably all are. T x

I found perth freezing at night in winter and in a morning ...it was warmer outside in the day than in ya house ...the flies peed u off but u get used to them , but it use to spoil sitting outside to eat . I can cope with the heat better in perth than brissie for some reason ...my hair falls better in perth than brissie . Miss the Coast line ....but if u want more do brissie :)

I can only comment on WA - but, given Perth has a higher rainfall than Surrey - by almost double, you can right off may to september. Then deduct the days when the flies come in waving hands, arms, books and anything you can get your hands on, before quickly heading in doors - you will sit. Then the mosquitoes. Then the days, when even in the shade, it is far to uncomfortable to sit outdoors due to the heat - well, you can, if you dont mind burnt skin, skin cancer risks and sitting in a pool of sweat

Write off May to September?? Rubbish. We might get a higher rainfall than Surrey but we get it in a few days downpour, spread out over those months. In between you get glorious blue sky days like your perfect English summer day. The first year we were here I had just got my first job at Charlie Gairdners worked a week, it was June, a lovely weekend and we decided to go to City Beach on the Sunday. Went into work on Monday with a sunburn and couldn't put my back on the chair. My workmates thought it was hilarious that anyone would go to the beach in Winter. We still do BTW.

This summer has been pretty fly free. Not noticed many at all, even when barbecuing, there aren't anywhere near as many in beachside suburbs though. Noticed a few when we go inland.

As for skin cancer risks if you are in the shade you've not really got much to worry about. Heard on the radio this morning that the skin cancer rates amongst over 60's in the UK has gone up a hundredfold since the 70's. All those days of going to Spain and Greece etc. and sitting in the sun with oil on now giving results and numbers comparable with here. I've no doubt that since the advent of sun protection creams and nearly everyone being aware of them here, that skin cancer rates will steady off. Me and the wife probably did our skins more damage going off on holiday and spending 8 hours in the sun every day for 2 or 3 weeks than we have done living here for 23 years.

I thought this post was for slagging off QLD/Gold Coast? Typical of you Perth lot to make it all about Perth :wink:. There are places to moan about outside WA you know?!:laugh:

Doesn't Perth only have flies for 6 weeks or something like that ?

Flies are only an issue for me outside of Perth in summer. Attempting a picnic at a certain time of year in one of the national parks for example can be very tiring. Flies are certainly an issue in country areas and can be very irritating. Mozzies of course bad by water. I have found them bad down south in the Bunbury locality at times. But hardly confined to that area.

But, this is exactly my point. It is, i believe, about attitude. Some, say that it is too dark and grey in the UK from November. Well, here the sun will set in November and we wont see it again until the end of January. But, people will still have a very outdoor lifestyle. In fact, the Swedes love this period. The temp here will get as low as -40, we will have no sun and a torch is needed at mid day. But, they just flood light the ski areas and snow mobiles have lights on. It all comes down to attitude.

I personally, loved walking in the Lake District and Highlands of Scotland in mid winter

I can understand why you don't like the outdoors in Perth then VS. Personally I hated the Lake District. Every time we went up there it was packed, gloomy, usually that light rain come drizzle that soaks you through and we spent heaps just being in pubs, playing pitch and putt just to keep us occupied. Maybe we were just unlucky with the weather? I'm sure it would look a lot more pleasant in the sun.

All depends on what suburb you are in too Jock. You wouldn't think it would make much of a difference but if we travel in-land 10 minutes by car and go to a park there it can be like a different world compared to going to the choice of parks in our suburb. Maybe it's the sea breeze that blows them in-land?:cool:

All depends on what suburb you are in too Jock. You wouldn't think it would make much of a difference but if we travel in-land 10 minutes by car and go to a park there it can be like a different world compared to going to the choice of parks in our suburb. Maybe it's the sea breeze that blows them in-land?:cool:

LOL, I think they all get blown in land to Canberra! The flies are not as noxious when you're not in drought because the dung beetles are able to do their work.

Archived