Six months here and this is my thoughts!

Kellie23

No, I simply didnt realise how little of an "outdoor lifestyle" we had or what other people have. It is too damned hot for a good chunk of the year. Then, want to go walking or hiking, even in winter, you cant take to dog to most national parks and the ones you can, you are on edge because they leave baited meat to kill foxes. Of course there is always the beach. But, sorry, it gets pretty thin after a while to go "owww sand, owww water"

We are probably more outdoor than most - drive through suburbia any weekend and it doesnt take much foresight to see that the furthest most people get to outdoors is the BBQ on an evening. If a persons view of an outdoor life, is sitting out to eat their evening meal (after dark once the flies have gone and hoping the mozzies are not bad, or if the ones that get you are not the one carrying disease), then i wish them well with their "outdoor lifestyle"

But, most of all, i am saying is that people who want to move to the other side of the world for a more outdoor life are dreaming a dream that they dont need to move and if they do are unlikely to find it - other than the bbq, you wont be outdoors more if you are not an outdoors person and even if you are, maybe still less. If they want outdoors, they can do it where they are.

I work outdoors and have done for over 2 years.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kellie,

It was really interesting to read your honest post.

My wife and I (and our 23 month old son) are about to go through all the same things you describe. <==== in fact everything you mentioned from bugs, to TV to renting/buying is on our minds. We are just being positive that we WILL make it work.

We have a fairly good life here; we live in Newmarket which we really like, near grandparents. We have good jobs and love our house and we're giving it all up on the idea of a better life in Australia!

We leave in exactly a month. Our house is on the market to be sold we we are hoping to complete asap.

We are doing it all because we think the quality of life will be better. Things like the outdoor lifestyle - our son loves being outside and we look forward to taking him to parks etc.

Can i ask what you and your husband do for work now / did in UK?

I think we're lucky as my wife's sister lives in Melbourne (which is where we're going).

We have full visa's but another reason we're doing it is because when my wife turns 32 we lose more points and then it becomes increasingly difficult. We would rather go and come back then to stay in England and always regret never going or trying.

Apologies there's not many questions above, and i know you wanted more from people already in Oz who have undergone same thing.

You are going to have a great life in Australia! How do I know? Simple statistics. Most migrants - wherever they come from - have a great life. I am English, but it's largely irrelevant to my life in Australia. Most of the people I interact with don't care where I am from. Just like when I lived in England to be honest. The people there did not care whether I was a 'local' or from 'somewhere else'. (Some actually thought I was an Aussie!)

Forget about differences between the two countries. They don't matter!

No, I simply didnt realise how little of an "outdoor lifestyle" we had or what other people have. It is too damned hot for a good chunk of the year. Then, want to go walking or hiking, even in winter, you cant take to dog to most national parks and the ones you can, you are on edge because they leave baited meat to kill foxes. Of course there is always the beach. But, sorry, it gets pretty thin after a while to go "owww sand, owww water"

We are probably more outdoor than most - drive through suburbia any weekend and it doesnt take much foresight to see that the furthest most people get to outdoors is the BBQ on an evening. If a persons view of an outdoor life, is sitting out to eat their evening meal (after dark once the flies have gone and hoping the mozzies are not bad, or if the ones that get you are not the one carrying disease), then i wish them well with their "outdoor lifestyle"

But, most of all, i am saying is that people who want to move to the other side of the world for a more outdoor life are dreaming a dream that they dont need to move and if they do are unlikely to find it - other than the bbq, you wont be outdoors more if you are not an outdoors person and even if you are, maybe still less. If they want outdoors, they can do it where they are.

Why always equate outdoor lifestyle with strenuous activity though. Perhaps it's that I'm older but I like relaxing in the outdoors and happiest in the shade. There are very few days in Northern Europe where you can put a chair out in the shade and read a book and be comfortable with few clothes on and no shoes and socks.

Relaxing outdoors is still an outdoors lifestyle and I cannot do that from October to May and rarely from June to September.

Why always equate outdoor lifestyle with strenuous activity though. Perhaps it's that I'm older but I like relaxing in the outdoors and happiest in the shade. There are very few days in Northern Europe where you can put a chair out in the shade and read a book and be comfortable with few clothes on and no shoes and socks.

Relaxing outdoors is still an outdoors lifestyle and I cannot do that from October to May and rarely from June to September.

I can only comment on WA - but, given Perth has a higher rainfall than Surrey - by almost double, you can right off may to september. Then deduct the days when the flies come in waving hands, arms, books and anything you can get your hands on, before quickly heading in doors - you will sit. Then the mosquitoes. Then the days, when even in the shade, it is far to uncomfortable to sit outdoors due to the heat - well, you can, if you dont mind burnt skin, skin cancer risks and sitting in a pool of sweat

It was much easier 30 odd years ago! Out of sight and out of mind was the order of the day - important events and the odd postcard if you went on holiday, thank you letters from the kids and that was about that. All this Skype and FB just exacerbates the agony of separation IMHO. As a grandparent I find grandparenting over Skype sucks. I defy anyone to get a cuddle over Skype and the kids go through phases of wondering why Mops and Pops live in the box on the desk.

Dinosaur! ;-)

I am not in the camp that says you need sun to have an outdoors lifestyle. You seem to be indicating here though that what was wrong for you in Oz was that you had the wrong attitude there as you let the sun stop you from going out.

The way I read it, Verystormy was responding to the reason so many prospective migrants give for coming to Australia - "the outdoor lifestyle". The funny thing is that unless you mean the beach and backyard BBQ's, the outdoor lifestyle is harder to find in Oz. Rambling is positively unpleasant throughout the summer because it's not pleasant to walk at any pace - not to mention the mozzies, march flies, ticks, spiders and snakes (plus the fact that you never see any wildlife or birds because they're all nocturnal or hiding from the heat).

Do you "let the rain stop you from going out"? I'm sure you do, yet walking the rain is far more pleasant than walking in 30 degree heat!

I don't think most people are thinking about relaxing on a shady verandah when they talk about an outdoor lifestyle.

Edited by Marisawright

Went down and had a great swim and food at Currumbin surf club, it is a great day trip/weekender from Brisbane.

Some of the suburbs off the beach do look a bit soulless to me for living but that may just be me.

The way I read it, Verystormy was responding to the reason so many prospective migrants give for coming to Australia - "the outdoor lifestyle". The funny thing is that unless you mean the beach and backyard BBQ's, the outdoor lifestyle is harder to find in Oz. Rambling is positively unpleasant throughout the summer because it's not pleasant to walk at any pace - not to mention the mozzies, march flies, ticks, spiders and snakes (plus the fact that you never see any wildlife or birds because they're all nocturnal or hiding from the heat).

Do you "let the rain stop you from going out"? I'm sure you do, yet walking the rain is far more pleasant than walking in 30 degree heat!

I don't think most people are thinking about relaxing on a shady verandah when they talk about an outdoor lifestyle.

That's the good things about Australia. Now, how about the bad news!?

Went down and had a great swim and food at Currumbin surf club, it is a great day trip/weekender from Brisbane.

Some of the suburbs off the beach do look a bit soulless to me for living but that may just be me.

Yep, the Vikings is a great spot for a meal and a quiet beer.....also try the Elephant Rock Cafe across the road....they serve great coffee.

Lot of interesting different perspectives about life in Oz, luckily we are all different, and some of us adjust to life here and some don't, but that's personal, doesn't make it right or wrong.

We live on the Sunshine Coast Qld, there is never a day that you don't see people out and about, be it some of us oldies walking by a glorious beach, let alone playing tennis golf etc. and my (suragate) mother of 89 still going to outdoor water aerobics, and her husband swims in the sea almost every day with others, or us just enjoying having breakfast outside almost every day after a swim in our pool. Obviously we are retired, but boy life is good.

youngsters seem to partake in sport all year round, and we have younger friends who mountain bike regularly, as well as other sports.

so for every poster moaning about life here, there is probably an equal number loving life here.

As a granny with both my grandchildren in UK age 5 and 7, I am so grateful for Skype, how else would I feel so close to their lives, they chat away, telling us what they have been up to, there is no pressure on them to stay in the room if they don't want to, but strangely they do, show us their latest Lego, drawing etc. of course nothing beats living near them, but in modern life how many of us do? so if the alternative is Skype or no skype, then I choose Skype, and it keeps all of us feeling closer, including our son, who loves that we all feel part of each others life irrespective of distance. At least we aren't strangers when we see them.

So so each to their own, life is for living where ever you are, make the most of it and live it to the full, you realise this the older you get!!!! Not worth wasting time moaning, or regretting.

Yep, the Vikings is a great spot for a meal and a quiet beer.....also try the Elephant Rock Cafe across the road....they serve great coffee.

Certainly is has a great view up to surfers. Trying every surf club on gold and sunny coasts. Vikings certainly near the top of list with Sunshine beach so far.

Will try the coffee spot next time will definitely be back.

So so each to their own, life is for living where ever you are, make the most of it and live it to the full, you realise this the older you get!!!! Not worth wasting time moaning, or regretting.

Very true, but I think the point here is that if you have a choice to move, why should you ignore that choice and pretend you're happy with the status quo?

Know what you mean about no support and the guilt of taking kids away from grandparents. I feel bad for my little girl that shes missing out on so much with family back in the uk.plus before coming out here we thought we'd have more of an outdoor lifestyle,but we were so wrong,the heat here is unbearable, most the afternoons where indoors unfortunately.

Haha, maybe they are not.

When autumn starts to arrive in mid September in England it is initially great to rug up and walk, seeing the autumn colours. But by November the 'novelty' of cold, dark, grey skies and damp, windy wet weather has well and truly worn off. Yet you then have another 4 months or so of it and the countryside gets pretty bleak and muddy too.

I used to venture out all year but in recent years have found those November to March months in particular less and less conducive to being outdoors really so I really only go out then when I have to or if I force myself that time of year. By contrast I am outside every chance I get in the summer months.

For me it is warmth and heat which gets me out and cold, wet and windy which keeps me indoors but others are of the opposite persuasion which is fine.

IMHO you can't really know how you will feel until you make the move and experience it for a year or two. Gbye grey sky may love Australia or he may hate it. No-one really knows until they have first hand experience. Thats why some of my favourite threads are the 'update - 3 months in' etc threads. They are the most honest posts from people who have been there done that.

IMHO you can't really know how you will feel until you make the move and experience it for a year or two. Gbye grey sky may love Australia or he may hate it. No-one really knows until they have first hand experience. Thats why some of my favourite threads are the 'update - 3 months in' etc threads. They are the most honest posts from people who have been there done that.

I agree. Watch this space. I will be honest in my comments.

Completely agree

So many comments from those who say what they think they'll be like (but never done it) or when I lived there I did this (things have changed here in the 5 years we've been here)

The only way for sure how you'll be is when your here living here and doing it yourself

Haha, maybe they are not.

When autumn starts to arrive in mid September in England it is initially great to rug up and walk, seeing the autumn colours. But by November the 'novelty' of cold, dark, grey skies and damp, windy wet weather has well and truly worn off. Yet you then have another 4 months or so of it and the countryside gets pretty bleak and muddy too.

I used to venture out all year but in recent years have found those November to March months in particular less and less conducive to being outdoors really so I really only go out then when I have to or if I force myself that time of year. By contrast I am outside every chance I get in the summer months.

For me it is warmth and heat which gets me out and cold, wet and windy which keeps me indoors but others are of the opposite persuasion which is fine.

But, this is exactly my point. It is, i believe, about attitude. Some, say that it is too dark and grey in the UK from November. Well, here the sun will set in November and we wont see it again until the end of January. But, people will still have a very outdoor lifestyle. In fact, the Swedes love this period. The temp here will get as low as -40, we will have no sun and a torch is needed at mid day. But, they just flood light the ski areas and snow mobiles have lights on. It all comes down to attitude.

I personally, loved walking in the Lake District and Highlands of Scotland in mid winter

But, this is exactly my point. It is, i believe, about attitude. Some, say that it is too dark and grey in the UK from November. Well, here the sun will set in November and we wont see it again until the end of January. But, people will still have a very outdoor lifestyle. In fact, the Swedes love this period. The temp here will get as low as -40, we will have no sun and a torch is needed at mid day. But, they just flood light the ski areas and snow mobiles have lights on. It all comes down to attitude.

I personally, loved walking in the Lake District and Highlands of Scotland in mid winter

And I agree fully. You clearly have the right attitude in colder climes but not in hotter ones. I am the opposite but was not always that way but cold weather has worn me down. Horses for courses really.

How many of these Swedes enjoying the sub zero temeratures are pensioners I wonder.

Doesn't matter where we are in the world the obsession with the weather continues.

My 2 cents - If you can't find something to do outdoors in either country you probably are just not an outdoorsy person. For the non outdoor activity sort of people Australia will probably win anyway weather wise as it is good for eating outside all year round (Brisbane anyway)

What do you do for a living Gbye grey sky ?

Do you have or need a job when you get to Aus ?

I am an Account Manager (corporate software) now but have a varied background.

Now the exchange rate has moved in our favour we may not need to find work (just as well as we are in our 50s) but if an opportunity comes along we will take it so we are not burning our savings too fast and to ensure that we can travel more. Would probably prefer temp or zero hours type work if available and that might represent my best chance anyway I suspect.

We are winging it really but with a safety net.