How can I get my mum to Australia?

gemma96x

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 50-year old person in Aus is now expected to be working for another 20 years.

I'm also turning 50 in December and I don't think it's "long in the tooth" at all. We have no idea what the OP's mothers' pension pot in the UK is like.

The skill requirement is the issue here surely.

A 50 year old person wanting to emigrate, even with skills, would stand next to no chance of getting in, due to the points system. I came when I was late 30's and if I'd been over 40 I would have struggled to get in. That's the rules and we just have to live by them. If restrictions were less on family members Aus would be overrun by people with very few skills and qualifications and the burden on the social safety net would be terrible.

Hi I didn't even think about at most I was coming for a year as I was on a working holiday visa so it never crossed my mind that a was leaving for good :)

Well, when you got married to an Australian you must have noticed that your future appeared to be far away from your family, with whom you say you are close.

Either way, it is immaterial. As long as you live in Australia, you will not be able to live with your mother and sisters, and you'll have to pay your own child care costs.

At 49 you could still get an independent skilled visa, at 51 you can't. I mentioned 457 and I don't think there is an age restriction but if I was the OP's mum I wouldn't take the risk to my young children when there is no route to PR that I can see.

The cut off for skilled migration is 50, but there are no points given for age range 45-49, making it very difficult almost impoosibe to meet the 60 points pass mark for PR, with only a provisional visa 489 an option, for some occupations.

457 sponsorship still requires an occupation on CSOL, meeting the age exemptions for 186 PR employer sponsorship once turn 50 is not easy - require to work for 4 years for 457 sponsor making High income Threshold for each of the 4 years which is currently around $130,000.

Edited by lebourvellec
  • Like 1

Am I astonishingly dumb or does the following look like the answer the OP is looking for?

"The Parent visa (subclass 103) lets parents live permanently in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. The sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years immediately before the application is lodged."

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/103.aspx

Am I astonishingly dumb or does the following look like the answer the OP is looking for?

"The Parent visa (subclass 103) lets parents live permanently in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. The sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years immediately before the application is lodged."

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/103.aspx

She fails on the Balance of Family test as she has three children and only one is a resident of Australia.

She fails on the Balance of Family test as she has three children and only one is a resident of Australia.

oic

By the way, I'm trying to find how much it would cost to bring a parent via the 143 visa (http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx). I had heard it is very expensive, as it envolves paying a compensation for the costs an old person would weigh on society. However, the costs I found on this page ammount to about 3k AUD. Is that all an 143 visa would cost or is there an additional ammount?

Good morning from this 49-year old who just got granted his 457 visa today. :)

Technically you're not classed as emigrating as the visa is a temporary one and doesn't necessarily lead to PR .. but CONGRATULATIONS - It's great news that you got your visa.

oic

By the way, I'm trying to find how much it would cost to bring a parent via the 143 visa (http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx). I had heard it is very expensive, as it envolves paying a compensation for the costs an old person would weigh on society. However, the costs I found on this page ammount to about 3k AUD. Is that all an 143 visa would cost or is there an additional ammount?

no, the total cost works out about $60,000.

oic

The cost is fine however, the current waiting period is over 50 years (that is not a typo)...in other words they are only processing a handful of applications per months and likely have over 10,000 in the waiting list....The expectation is that this visa will be closed off again as it was previously.

The 60K visa is the parental contribution visa which is different to the cheap one

Edited by scattley

oic

You missed the bit about the second instalment down in the notes. The second instalment for most people is $43600 per parent (probably note 19j (8) payable just before the visa is granted..

Well done mate and good luck to you but a 457 is not PR. It's a short term visa meant to fill in shortages of Labour. I know a lot of people manage to get PR from that and if that's your plan I wish you the best of luck, However there are an awful lot of people that don't manage to do it.

hi

if we pay 60K, how soon are they going to grant the PR ?

what is the total time taken from application till grant , if we are willing to pay 60K ?

You pay the first instalment of $3520 when you apply for the visa. Processing of the application will take 18-24 months and the second instalment of $43600 is due just before the visa is granted. There will also be an Assurance of Support bond of $10000 also payable just before the visa is granted. A 143 is a permanent visa.

So it this an option then to get parents over inside two years? You just need the $60,000? So if you had a house with a granny flat you were willing to let them stay in they could sell their UK house pay the visa and be in your back yard in two years?

Provided they pass the balance of family test and have no major health issues, the answer is yes - although for 2 parents, you are looking at at about $100,000.

So it this an option then to get parents over inside two years? You just need the $60,000? So if you had a house with a granny flat you were willing to let them stay in they could sell their UK house pay the visa and be in your back yard in two years?

Provided they pass the Balance of Family test and the medical, 2 years should do it.

I think the OP means her mum emigrate properly like forever not for the 4 years it permits. She could get the 457 but I think it was suggested to get her in the country long enough for her eldest sister to become eligible to migrate then her mum can pass the family tie test and stay for good and leave the 457:)

I think the OP means her mum emigrate properly like forever not for the 4 years it permits. She could get the 457 but I think it was suggested to get her in the country long enough for her eldest sister to become eligible to migrate then her mum can pass the family tie test and stay for good and leave the 457:)

That would also assume the sister can qualify for a PR visa as well. There are a lot of "ifs" in these scenarios.