Reverse Culture Shock?

I suppose I'm aiming this question at Brits who've been in Aus, for a good few years, and then who've decided to return to live in the UK, but really it could just as easily apply to folk who've been out here for a much shorter time.

I go go home every year for a holiday and I always feel right at home as soon as I get on the Heathrow Shuttle into London. I just feel complete again I suppose, but I'm very mindful that it's a holiday and not normal life. I just wonder if returning to the UK after years in Australia can be as difficult to adapt to as emigrating in the first place was?

Does it create challenges due to knowing the place, but acknowledging that there have been changes in the time you've been away? How does that make you feel, slightly threatened or energised? If you've been dreaming of coming home for a long time, did the reality measure up to the dream, or did it feel anti-climactic, or worse than that, faintly alien?

I left the UK aged 9,returned temporarily whilst travelling,aged 18 and then returned in my early 40's permanently.I didn't suffer any culture shock tbh,but then again I kept my expectations realistic.I arrived in late Sept,and even the first winter that hit,did'nt faze me because where I lived in Oz was cold in winter anyway.I just kind of went with the flow I guess?I managed to secure work within 2 weeks of arriving which helped,and can honestly say I didn't encounter any problems.

Not from Aus, no. I did have the odd panic attack when we returned to live in Bristol after several years in the Highlands of PNG but, then, that was culturally VERY different. I always felt right at home as soon as the plane touched down at Heathrow whenever returning from Aus.

Since the first phase of culture shock is a honeymoon period, then yes I certainly did - I remember even thinking the people in London were friendly and the countryside around the M25 was amazing :)

The next phase is when you compare everything unfavourably and after 18 months I haven't reached that yet and don't think I will.

Having just had a couple of days business in London, the honeymoon period has certainly ended, the first thing I said when I got there was 'I hate London' - I don't really I just hate landing at 17:30 and not getting to my hotel until 19:45, having had to carry a heavy bag up and down steps on the underground. I travelled all over Europe in the summer and nowhere is as hard to get around as London.

As for Scotland I believe I just see things as they are now - but who knows, maybe the rose tints are still on and long may it last :)

We slotted straight back in as you know and we have never looked back. However conversely for my Aussie husband returning to Australia to live after being away over 25 years he felt like an alien in his own country. The pull of family for him and his memories are still there but he really struggled trying to adjust back in Australia.

For or us we moved to Australia for the family there but returned to the uk for the country and how it makes us feel. I appreciate this is the opposite way around Greg but I think it answers your question. Hope you are doing ok x

We are all so different, luckily. No rights or wrongs to how we feel.

I haven't lived properly in UK now for over 20 years, but have spent lots of time there over that time, but it was really strange last year, as I felt that I didn't belong there any more. I can't explain it, my only 2 grandchildren are there, and we have very long term friends there, but I know that for now Australia is my home.

I did wonder if it's possibly because as an ex pat we lived in rented accommodation, and we absolutely love our house and where we live here, but having said that we kept a house in UK, so that doesn't really explain it??

Like others I have moved constantly all my life, and I gave up counting after 17 house moves after getting married, so I am used to making the most of where I am, but for me at last I feel settled.

retirement is pretty good.

so perhaps the secret is it's where you feel settled be it here or there is the best place for you.

I have certainly experienced reverse culture shock, the first time in the late 1960's when I came back to London from Africa, the feeling of claustrophobia lasted a long time.

the one thing I do get fed up about on PIO is the self righteousness of posters who are adamant that their way is the only way.

I suppose I'm aiming this question at Brits who've been in Aus, for a good few years, and then who've decided to return to live in the UK, but really it could just as easily apply to folk who've been out here for a much shorter time.

I go go home every year for a holiday and I always feel right at home as soon as I get on the Heathrow Shuttle into London. I just feel complete again I suppose, but I'm very mindful that it's a holiday and not normal life. I just wonder if returning to the UK after years in Australia can be as difficult to adapt to as emigrating in the first place was?

Does it create challenges due to knowing the place, but acknowledging that there have been changes in the time you've been away? How does that make you feel, slightly threatened or energised? If you've been dreaming of coming home for a long time, did the reality measure up to the dream, or did it feel anti-climactic, or worse than that, faintly alien?

Yes, definitely a culture shock, we were away six years and came back Feb this year. The first thing that hits you is the much lower standard of living and opportunity, and the high cost of everything. It's also apparent the euro controllers have exerted their evil influence in every aspect of life, even down to the size of vacuum cleaner you are allowed to buy. England is beautiful, has a convenient proximity to all kinds of wonderful places but there are plenty of downside. We had to come back, I was ok with it at the time, on reflection I wish we could have handled things differently, as in retain furnished accommodation here and continued live and work in oz.

We slotted straight back in as you know and we have never looked back. However conversely for my Aussie husband returning to Australia to live after being away over 25 years he felt like an alien in his own country. The pull of family for him and his memories are still there but he really struggled trying to adjust back in Australia.

For or us we moved to Australia for the family there but returned to the uk for the country and how it makes us feel. I appreciate this is the opposite way around Greg but I think it answers your question. Hope you are doing ok x

Great to see you back on the forum Connie and to hear that your return home continues to be a happy one. All good here thanks, although the homesickness always worsens at this time of year obviously :smile:

As you know I've been in the reverse situation and yes I think it's harder returning than emigrating. People have more expectations, an I suppose I did as well. It was certainly easier returning to the UK 3 years ago.

Edited by wakeboard1980

I have done it and did not like it. However having lived all around the place, got used to it just like every other place. I do not think of UK as home anymore but that is because I have children born in Australia and this is their home. MY oh was at sea and he used to say people get the channels when returning to the UK and he used to dread it. He never wanted to stay in the UK nor did his brother. Brother went to NZ and we came back to Aus. We are all different, the thing for me is that I see the land where I was born as spoilt now and not like it was and all that stuff, too many people, too many different people and having lived in a market town/village in Suffolk to see how busy life has become in the UK and crowds I don't like it. Same here though in the cities but when we escape to the country its much more space and less people. If I had to move now I think it would be New Zealand for me, I have lived there as well and the climate would suit me fine.

Yes, definitely a culture shock, we were away six years and came back Feb this year. The first thing that hits you is the much lower standard of living and opportunity, and the high cost of everything. It's also apparent the euro controllers have exerted their evil influence in every aspect of life, even down to the size of vacuum cleaner you are allowed to buy. England is beautiful, has a convenient proximity to all kinds of wonderful places but there are plenty of downside. We had to come back, I was ok with it at the time, on reflection I wish we could have handled things differently, as in retain furnished accommodation here and continued live and work in oz.

Do you think the standard of living is lower ? When I left 3 years ago everyone had all the huge TVs , all the latest gadgets and went to Spain etc. has it changed ? My friends and family are telling me there is more opportunity there now......having my doubts as heard different a few times.

Edited by janlo

Do you think the standard of living is lower ? When I left 3 years ago everyone had all the huge TVs , all the latest gadgets and went to Spain etc. has it changed ? My friends and family are telling me there is more opportunity there now......having my doubts as heard different a few times.

Well my standard of living is lower, I earned very good money in Australia , my salary in relative terms was nearly double, and the big ticket items are much cheaper in oz, try buying a 4 x 2 in the south of England for £250,000 , new cars are nearly half the price, fuel is nearly half the price etc. I guess it depends in your job, I find the UK does not reward effort the way Australia does. There seems to be an underlying effort to keep the middle people down.

I came over in 1996/97 on a working holiday visa and loved living over here, if I could, I would have stayed. I remember returning to my home town in the UK after being over here for 14 months and thinking everyone looked pale and sick. I went shopping into the city centre and freaked out at the amount of people everywhere. I guess I initially felt a little lost when I got back, I had been on this great adventure and then it was back to reality. I always said that going to Australia back then was the best thing I ever did and also the worst thing. If I had never been I wouldn't have known any different, but I did feel that Australia wasn't out of my system and still had a lot to offer and I emigrated 10 years later.

Well my standard of living is lower, I earned very good money in Australia , my salary in relative terms was nearly double, and the big ticket items are much cheaper in oz, try buying a 4 x 2 in the south of England for £250,000 , new cars are nearly half the price, fuel is nearly half the price etc. I guess it depends in your job, I find the UK does not reward effort the way Australia does. There seems to be an underlying effort to keep the middle people down.

I think there's a concerted effort from business to keep the low paid on even lower pay,zero hours contracts etc,the GFC used as a big stick to take advantage of minimum wage earners in my eyes,my wages have gone up again as a tradesman,but there is a lot more people falling below the poverty line now,despite the "recovery"

Ive not moved back yet but I think it will be easier to move home than moving here.

When we came here we didnt know what it would hold, how we would feel etc but when we move home we know what we are going to and what we will have and I think that is the key.

I read all these posts/comments from people who say "dont expect to fit back in or have the same friends etc as all that has now changed"

I honestly think we will just slot back in and have the same friends. I still speak to most of my mates daily via text or facebook messages and we skype our close friends weekly without fail!

I cant see it being any different....and I dont want it to be!

Edited by wattsy1982

I think there's a concerted effort from business to keep the low paid on even lower pay,zero hours contracts etc,the GFC used as a big stick to take advantage of minimum wage earners in my eyes,my wages have gone up again as a tradesman,but there is a lot more people falling below the poverty line now,despite the "recovery"

Well Pablo, i agree with the concerted effort bit, I don't think it's just the low paid who are affected, I think it's all but the top, I can't describe myself as low paid, I certainly have a daughter who is at the lower end of the employment market and you wouldn't get treated the way she does in oz, far from it. What seems to apparently have happened in my six years away is the rich have got richer and everyone else is on struggle street, unless your feet are well under the table with paid off mortgages etc.

Well Pablo, i agree with the concerted effort bit, I don't think it's just the low paid who are affected, I think it's all but the top, I can't describe myself as low paid, I certainly have a daughter who is at the lower end of the employment market and you wouldn't get treated the way she does in oz, far from it. What seems to apparently have happened in my six years away is the rich have got richer and everyone else is on struggle street, unless your feet are well under the table with paid off mortgages etc.

You're probably right to an extent Toussaint,i remember reading an article at the beginning of this yr about middle income earners,and it "did" say that wages for this group had fallen in real terms,but,it described a new phenomenon, an "uber middle class" wages increase(labels i know!),these were occupations in finance and health,in the main.

I agree with you in general though,but,no offence to you, or tradesmen like myself earning half ways decent money,but the minimum wage earners need to be on a higher basic rate of pay,those people get my sympathies more than middle income earners,or tradesmen like myself tbh

Either way,in an ideal world,the wealth at the top needs to start trickling down a bit right through the pay scales,but definitely to the minimum wage earners,i wont hold my breath though.

Edited by pablo

Do you think the standard of living is lower ? When I left 3 years ago everyone had all the huge TVs , all the latest gadgets and went to Spain etc. has it changed ?

This goes to the root of how people define standards of living and quality of life.

Can it be reduced to having an iPad or a big telly? I think a lot of people in the UK do that, it's a consumerist thing rather than a measure of happiness.

We have been back in a stunning part of North East Scotland for 7 months now and can safely say there is an element of culture shock taking place.

I feel the gap between rich and poor has become unbearable. I'm lucky to be on the fortunate side of the divide however many find themselves in a terrible state of affairs due to government cuts and an attack on the low paid. On top of this we have a national debt somewhere in the region of £1.5 trillion but worry not the economy is in recovery mode, quickly rush down to your nearest Sports Direct and grab a zero hours contract job whilst stocks last.

The rush to blame the poor the foreign and the rest of Europe for ill's created by the rich greedy politicians is mind boggling. I'm sure there was an undercurrent of this 6 or 7 years ago but it seems to have been amplified by the right leaning media in our absence.

In short, I'm not impressed with the place or it's so called culture!

I suppose I'm aiming this question at Brits who've been in Aus, for a good few years, and then who've decided to return to live in the UK... I just wonder if returning to the UK after years in Australia can be as difficult to adapt to as emigrating in the first place was?

? If you've been dreaming of coming home for a long time, did the reality measure up to the dream, or did it feel anti-climactic, or worse than that, faintly alien?

I had the experience of coming back to Scotland after living in Africa for three years. Africa was a tough gig and I was looking forward to getting home - but yes, I do think I got "reverse culture shock". For one thing, it felt absolutely freezing! But also, so many things about life in Scotland were not what I expected. It's inevitable that once you leave a country you start remembering it through rose coloured glasses, I suppose - and you conveniently overlook all the negative stuff.

That experience was mainly what fuelled a move to Australia.