Your next holiday

HappyHeart

Where is your next holiday? Do you take a lot of holidays? If so are you a 'one long break' sort or a 'lots of mini breaks' type?

We try to get away every 3 months or so..always have done, I think it stems from childhood where 3 hols a year was the norm, a fortnight in the sun, then 2 week long UK holiday camp type breaks.

When we lived in the UK, OH and I used to go away usually for a week in June to Wales (North or South) and then do a few 3 night breaks anywhere and a few overnighters minus rugrats if possible.

Here we tend to do more 3 to 5 night trips...mainly to avoid taking a lot of leave in one go, use the long weekends etc.

We have been back to the UK for 3 weeks 2 years ago and are going again this Christmas for 4 weeks but before that we're off to Margaret River in South West WA for 4 nights in the Spring hols....then we are heading to Bali next April for a week.

I really look forward to my holidays...probably why we never have huge amounts in the bank...

Do you enjoy hols or would you rather save or invest in your home?

pretty much the same as yourself HH, just back from Bali recently then Bali again in April, that may be it till then, maybe a couple of nights in Bunbury or something, do enjoy our holidays, but I think getting the house renovations done is more pressing now:-((, we do hope to get to Sydney later on next year though x

We are saving to try and visit the Uk then a road trip around France and Spain in the next few years, so we are probably going to have a week in Vanuatu again around December for this year.

We do try and get a decent week long holiday every year and take a few camping trips around and about in between, as and when we can / want.

Cal x

We have taken to cruising over the past couple of years. Not long back from a double cruise, USA West Coast to the East Coast via the Panama Canal, then from there to Europe. Flew back here for a month, then flew back to the UK for a college reunion. Off again in October to Spain, to cruise from there to the USA. Mrs CDU has got deposits on 5 cruises for next year so far. This retirement stuff can be quite stressful. :jiggy:

We tend to do a lot of short breaks and one longer holiday a year. Last Christmas we went to California for 3 weeks, and since then we have had a few 4 day camping trips, long weekends in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, a week long cruise to the Pacific islands and then we are off on another cruise to New Zealand this coming Christmas. As we have no children we aren't restricted to school holidays so have managed to get some really good deals.

Guest Guest66881
We have taken to cruising over the past couple of years. Not long back from a double cruise, USA West Coast to the East Coast via the Panama Canal, then from there to Europe. Flew back here for a month, then flew back to the UK for a college reunion. Off again in October to Spain, to cruise from there to the USA. Mrs CDU has got deposits on 5 cruises for next year so far. This retirement stuff can be quite stressful. :jiggy:

Lovin ya brother:notworthy:

Going to New York in November. Will be a short, tiring but exciting break i hope. Had a great trip to Switzerland in June.

Last year had a hold in the top end and saw Kakadu, also did a bit of FNQ. And mini break to Hobart. And a few days in Lakes Entrance. And a drive up to Northern NSW and back at Xmas. And a few days in Bay of Islands NZ on prior to my visa validation trip. Have managed to travel around a bit in the past 18 months! :arghh:

Like Celt Down Under, also retired so life is one long holiday, interspersed with trips away.

we regularly just head off for 3 weeks, exploring a different area.

Put the car on the train, Brisbane to Cairns, last year, then drove slowly back.

Go to UK most years for a couple of months, and are definitely skiing this year!!

that is spending the kids inheritance, just back from 3 weeks in the Kimberley's, including a cruise from Broome to Darwin.

Going to Vietnam and Cambodia in Oct.

Retirement is great.

We are off to tour around Tasmania in three weeks! Can't wait, as it is the first long holiday we have had in a year. We will do lots of walking and some kayaking, which is something that we all enjoy! We did go away for a couple of days in April, but nothing more than that.

We usually go away four times a year - two holidays and two weekend breaks, but because we spent so long in England last year and also had a big vets bill, the finances have been somewhat strained so we haven't had that this year. We did have a 'holiday at home' in January though, which was lovely as we did lots of local geocaching, and we have a pool, so it is hardly a hardship!

Lake Garda for 9 days on Friday :-). Alton Towers Hotel in Halloween half term and then Centre Parcs 1st week of January to beat Xmas blues.

Trying to do some lasts before we move out to Australia.

Looking forward to exploring the other side of the world, I have my sights set of Fiji but think Ill plan it once the children are old enough to stay alone at home! We also promised our children Disney Florida at some point in the future so no doubt, will have to find the funds for that over the next 4 years or so!

Quite depressing knowing all our travel plans are all laid out for us and I cant explore and go wild!

Well actually just booked a week's skiing hol the other day. Well my Dad did.. he's kindly paying for me to go with him, my brother and a couple of his mates for my 30th next March. My lovely husband has said he'll be a 'Stay-at-home-dad' for the week as he knows I won't leave the children with anyone but him for more than a few hours. He's never been skiing and is happy for us to go all together when the children are old enough. I've just been 4 times before but the last time was 10 years ago. I'm really looking forward to it though anxious about leaving the children as I'll miss them and they'll miss me but of course will be well looked after. When I last went 10 years ago it was just me and Dad and we had a great time, a good bonding holiday, so I'm looking forward to spending some time with him and my brother too and it may well be the last time we go skiing together, you know, as he's getting on a bit. Anyone think I'm being selfish leaving my children? I have never been away from them for more that 2 nights in total, each 1 night at a time. Once staying at a friend's house after a night out and the other time just leaving my oldest while I was in hospital after having my youngest. DS will be 4 and DD will be nearly 2 when I go. If I decide I can't do it I'll send hubby instead!

We'll have been away with the children to Center Parcs this year and we are off to Devon tomorrow for a few days. We'll go away with the children again next summer not sure where yet. Also want to go to Disneyland Paris with them but will wait for the following year when youngest is 3.

Holidays....as many as possibile, any length! Being able to afford them is the tricky part :wacko: Being back now I am looking forward to day trips and weekends in the UK, there are many places I still have to explore locally, and longer holidays abroad when I can. If everything goes to plan should be back in Thailand next April (fingers crossed) doind some more diving. My travel wish list is a mile long....I don't even know if I'll see all the places I want to in my lifetime.

We are on holiday at the moment, visiting Devon and Cornwall. Just got back from Lands End today, Sidmouth yesterdy, tomorrow we are going to the Eden Project, Port Isaac on Thursday, ilfracombe on Friday and back home on Saturday. Very funny weather though, one minute bright sunshine and the next it's chucking it down.

Having fun though, love, love love being on holiday :cool:

Cairns in Sept, UK in Dec, Sydney for NYE!

@ramot i like the idea of putting car on train, will have to look into that!

Quite pricey, but it was a very gentle way to travel for a change. Came back via the Atherton Table lands, loved it there and saw platypus.

We are off to tour around Tasmania in three weeks! Can't wait, as it is the first long holiday we have had in a year. We will do lots of walking and some kayaking, which is something that we all enjoy! We did go away for a couple of days in April, but nothing more than that.

We usually go away four times a year - two holidays and two weekend breaks, but because we spent so long in England last year and also had a big vets bill, the finances have been somewhat strained so we haven't had that this year. We did have a 'holiday at home' in January though, which was lovely as we did lots of local geocaching, and we have a pool, so it is hardly a hardship!

Loved our our trip a couple of years ago, one place we can't praise highly enough, is the Wall in the Wilderness in Derwent Water. It's between Strahan and Hobart. It's an amazing work in progress by a master in wood carpenter (carpenter doesn't do him justice) you can google it. You won't believe what he has done.

have a great holiday

master craftsman is a better description

We are off to tour around Tasmania in three weeks!

We are having an unbelievable stretch of calm, sunny, dry, warm (for winter) days at the moment. I'm sure we'll get a nasty sting in the tail at some time. Hope it holds off for your holiday, though! :wubclub:

Im back from Oz late next week after spending 6 mths here (career break).Just before I came over,OH and I had a week in Turkey,then I came to Oz,have a weeks AL when I get back next week,so OH and I are travelling down to Cornwall to see daughter and grandkids,then Oct 3rd jetting off to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks.We never stay in the touristy bits where ever we go.Just don't like spending my holidays with p***** people abroad!We're hiring a private house in Sri Lanka,done it before and it was fab,just staying further south this time.Feb next year,back to India.We usually do two 1 week holidays abroad and one long haul.Not always though,sometimes we fit in either another long haul or another 1 week abroad.The rest of the holidays we stay home or travel within the UK.

ali, remember to register with 'ESTA' before you travel to the States

AND Ali, make sure the site that you obtain the ESTA from is the government one. There are a few private ones out there that look official, but who charge you a hefty fee for arranging it. Cost was $14 US when we arranged ours in June this year.

Archived