Don't know what to do...

M1cha3la

So, we possible have the chance to move to Oz within 6 months, but I am not sure if we should (never thought I would say that!)..

Long story short, DH's work have said there is possibly a job in Adelaide (yay), we will know for sure in a month, as it is based on if they win a contract. It will be live and running within 4-5 months so we need to be in Oz by then. Great news apart from the company are playing hard ball and have said no relocation package (on the basis of we want to move anyway).

Now this is fine, we always thought we would have to pay to go, thats why we said realistically 18 months to move so we had time to save ect ect. In 18 months we would be able to pull together around £40-50k (ballpark figure). 6 months, we can probably get to £10-15k (again ballpark figure). These figures are after everything has been paid ie shipping, flights ect. I'm not sure its enough...

DH is interested as he is really not keen on being out of work, so it means he hits the ground running with a job (all his service ect will transfer over), and has said we are mainly saving to cover if he is out of work for a while, which is true I guess. But tbh I was kind of hoping we would have the savings (for a house deposit) and get a job, HA! He is thinking we should just go and then start rebuilding the savings there.

Im torn. Its not everyday a job offer comes up, but the lack of savings makes me nervous. Then we had always said Adelaide or Perth, but if i'm honest we were 55% Perth 45% Adelaide. Its not the end of the world, buts it's there. Then we have our reccie booked for September, so we may as well cancel that if we are moving in December.

As the driving force in this move I never thought it would happen but I think I am looking for excuses :dull: I absolutely want to move, but is it enough money?

Ok rambling over.. Its going to be a sleepless night for us :wacko:

Tbh people have moved with a lot less and made it work. It's really up to you though, it's what you both feel comfortable with. I'm sure there will be lots of others who will be able to give you proper advice, I can't really! I'm sure it'll work out though :hug:

Tbh people have moved with a lot less and made it work. It's really up to you though, it's what you both feel comfortable with. I'm sure there will be lots of others who will be able to give you proper advice, I can't really! I'm sure it'll work out though :hug:

Agree with the quote. Have a bash! :)

I'd say go for it! 10-15k is quite a lot if you're willing to be careful for a while.

It's just you and hubby, no kids?

Worse case scenario could hubby go over first to get his job sorted and you join after him?

If I were in your shoes is be grabbing that opportunity with both hands. :-)

Thanks for the advice everyone :wubclub:

Yea its just the two of us, and we can live very cheaply (I married an accountant :laugh:) the job offer had rumblings of a apartment for the first month while we get sorted, so DH just needs to sit down and hash out the final deal.

We would be crazy to turn down a job offer, just never dreamed it would come so quickly. Its just got very real very fast :laugh:

Now this is fine, we always thought we would have to pay to go, thats why we said realistically 18 months to move so we had time to save ect ect. In 18 months we would be able to pull together around £40-50k (ballpark figure). 6 months, we can probably get to £10-15k (again ballpark figure). These figures are after everything has been paid ie shipping, flights ect. I'm not sure its enough...

DH is interested as he is really not keen on being out of work, so it means he hits the ground running with a job (all his service ect will transfer over), and has said we are mainly saving to cover if he is out of work for a while, which is true I guess. But tbh I was kind of hoping we would have the savings (for a house deposit) and get a job, HA! He is thinking we should just go and then start rebuilding the savings there.

Im torn. Its not everyday a job offer comes up, but the lack of savings makes me nervous.

I think you are dodging it a bit tbh. £10-15k would certainly cover a period out of work + return flights if necessary. Not sure you would be really putting down a deposit on a house soon after arriving......do you have a UK house?

Think the moment of truth has arrived a bit early and you are getting wobbly, understandably.

If you are changing your initial plans though make sure that the job is the right one or at least genuine as it does sound a little airy fairy and as they are not funding the move you are taking a risk. I think that you should have an agreement that they pay for the move but deduct it in instalments from the first 12 months salary.

I think you are dodging it a bit tbh. £10-15k would certainly cover a period out of work + return flights if necessary. Not sure you would be really putting down a deposit on a house soon after arriving......do you have a UK house?

Think the moment of truth has arrived a bit early and you are getting wobbly, understandably.

If you are changing your initial plans though make sure that the job is the right one or at least genuine as it does sound a little airy fairy and as they are not funding the move you are taking a risk. I think that you should have an agreement that they pay for the move but deduct it in instalments from the first 12 months salary.

Its the company DH has worked for for the last 2 years. It is definitely a real offer, my DH has access to all of the bids/budgets/forecasts to see what is going on.. Its a massive contract if they win it, if they don't win it, we don't go and DH carries on in his current position. But say we did go and it didn't work out, he is on 3 months notice period so worst case they have to pay him that minimum. That would easily cover flights/shipping back, or 3 months to find a new job.

The reason they have said no relocation package is they know we have a visa and will move over eventually anyway. Whilst they have approached DH with the offer, he has not been head hunted per se. He told them last month we have a visa as he wanted to be considered for any future opportunities (the company is established in Oz, but we knew it is about to double/triple in size). So they are offering him the position but for us to move on our own steam, which will save them money too. I am miffed, its a FTSE100 company, they are not short of a bob or two, but we are dealing with finance people here :laugh:

House wise, we own one in the UK. We are not planning on buying in Oz straight away (don't imagine we can anyway), but it would of been nice to have the money there waiting ready. But I am sure everyone feels that way.

So, we possible have the chance to move to Oz within 6 months, but I am not sure if we should (never thought I would say that!)..

Long story short, DH's work have said there is possibly a job in Adelaide (yay), we will know for sure in a month, as it is based on if they win a contract. It will be live and running within 4-5 months so we need to be in Oz by then. Great news apart from the company are playing hard ball and have said no relocation package (on the basis of we want to move anyway).

Im torn. Its not everyday a job offer comes up, but the lack of savings makes me nervous. Then we had always said Adelaide or Perth, but if i'm honest we were 55% Perth 45% Adelaide. Its not the end of the world, buts it's there. Then we have our reccie booked for September, so we may as well cancel that if we are moving in December.

As the driving force in this move I never thought it would happen but I think I am looking for excuses :dull: I absolutely want to move, but is it enough money?

Ok rambling over.. Its going to be a sleepless night for us :wacko:

OK for what its worth, we had our hearts set on Brisbane but ended up in WA so I don't think a different state is necessarily a game changer. We came with £10,000 OH had a job to go to and we didn't ship hardly anything, no furniture.The biggest thing in the move I reckon is the job, if that's all lined up ,well I'd be doing it, that's me and obviously its your decision and I wish you all the best ,good luck :wubclub:

Bargain with them. They obviously want you.... You have done them the favour of funding your own visa too.

Say you want Perth where you as the OH had a potential job offer or family, and would like some support from them since this is Adelaide and it may go **** up. Not a full relo package, but something written into a contract to help you out. Car? Flight home first Christmas? Extra month rent? If you don't ask, you don't get.

All i'd say is a lot of things can change in 18 months can't they Michaela,jobs,lives,relationships,things you planned on doing don't work out all the time,from my experiences in the past,i would say go,10 to 15K plus you'll have a wage from the off,i reckon go,fwiw

Having a job to come too makes the whole process so much easier. I would def take the opportunity.

as for savings, that's plenty. We came with nothing, no money, no furniture, family of five. We managed on one wage for a couple of months.

less than two years later, we have our own house, I've just got a brand new car. OH has his toys, ie motoXbike, quad, jet ski.

Grab that offer and run with it girl:smile:

One good thing about not having a relocation package - if you oh does find another job elsewhere within first 2 years there will be nothing to pay back to the company. Plus he may be able to negotiate better salery. You will already be saving £1000s by not doing a reccie.

I would go for it - maybe try and get the first months accommodation out of them.

We were in similar position, 2 wks after we got our visas my OH was offered a job but they wanted him to start in a month, then plan was never to leave straight away. We were offered relocation package, be we decided not to go as was month until Christmas, and our daughter was just 14 months at the time. For us it was the right thing to do, but if we hadn't a kid we would have gone.

Balance eut how much a relocation package is actually worth to having a job and earring straight away, with the flexibility of not being tied to the employer.

Guest Guest 47403

As someone currently going through the whole process 10-15k and a job to go to is a gimme, as long as the location is what you want you would be mad not to take the opportunity.

I'd say absolutely go for it! I can understand you feeling nervous as it's happening a lot quicker than you'd planned but it sounds like it's for the better. Sounds a fantastic opportunity and will take the pressure of your husband worrying about finding a job.

We can celebrate with you at the Bristol meet up if you decide to go for it :)

I say go for it!! We're going in August and already the waiting is killing me, I'd jump if anyone said we could get there sooner!!

If the contract is won, he'll have a job to go to and you have plenty saved if you're guarenteed an income when you arrive.

What's the worst that can happen?? :)

Hi Michaela, I can only give you our experience of us coming over with one job already in place...took 6 months for husband to secure work and in that time we were very frugal/had no savings but managed....no frills though. Depends what you are prepared to accept/endure for the sake of the 'adventure' tbh...nothing is guaranteed...thats part of the appeal for some but a big turn off for others. There's no such thing as 'enough' money..you'll spend according to your budget but of course it is 'possible' to live a reasonable life on one income....

Adelaide is a lovely city- very friendly so I wouldn't be worried on that score. Personally I'd prefer that over Perth any day. I'd go for it ,too. So what if it doesn't work out- at least you will have had the experience and knowledge of Australia

Thanks everyone :wubclub:

For the first time in the whole process I think I just had a "what are we doing" moment. I am feeling much more happy about it now and am actually really excited again. We are totally committed to making this work and would live on beans on toast in a tent every day while we get set up if we have to.

So, lets keep fingers crossed that they win the contract :cute:

Archived