Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

sorry, this was a reply to the post stars down under posted. was wondering about the information on frofessional references and employement statements as i feel my manager is going to be useless and will probably have to write out some of it myself. i didnt think i could do it myself, but might have toi and just get my manager to sign or copy and sign as she takes absolutely forever to get back to the staff with a basic email!

Don't take this the wrong way, but with your punctuation and capitalisation, I would seek help elsewhere.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:eek: surely people aren't just allowed to write up their own "profesional references & employment statements" ?? what's the point of them then?

Yes they do. I've known many do it. Does a NUM have the time or inclination, (and in my experience it's often left to NUMs not HR), to phone the UK and check references? If the applicant had a glowing interview would there be a need to? I even know of headed paper being handed out in the NHS for folk to type their own reference. One of the reasons that public sector hospitals have drifted away from sponsorship and won't even offer a job to PR's until they set foot in Oz and can be interviewed in person.

Hi All

Just had to share, letter of eligibility came through this morning!! Visa here I come :biggrin:

Well done! In my experience, the visa application was the easiest part of it all. Lodged on the 23rd Aug. Medical on 28th. Medical results finalised on 4th Sept. Visa Granted 6th!

Hi, all. I am trying to complete the ANMAC skills assessment application and hope someone can help. It asks for my initial registration number and my current registration number. I think it means my NMC pin number but I am not sure and don't want to mess it up. Could anyone advise me? Thanks very much.

Guest Arundels

Hi guys,

Have all of you used an agency to do your visas I just don't know where to start or which company to go to.

(not feeling too optimistic at the mo) :(

Louise x

Hi guys,

Have all of you used an agency to do your visas I just don't know where to start or which company to go to.

(not feeling too optimistic at the mo) :(

Louise x

I didn't use an agency and found the application though stressful at times and time consuming fairly straight forward.

I started off the process by sitting the IELTS (academic) then I had my skills assessed by the ANMAC then I applied for my PR visa.

All together it took 14 months. I am glad I didn't use an agency as I saved myself quite a few £s.

All the help, information and advice I needed through the whole process I found on this forum.

Good luck x

HI there folks,

Looking for some information please. I go to Australia in February, does anyone have any experience of nursing agencies? Any reccommendations would be apprectated. Heading to Syndey to begin with.

Thanks.x

I have used Healthcare Australia. I have found them fantastic. Within a few weeks they have helped me find a full-time permanent position working in my speciality, in the area of oz i wished for. I start in January :0) x

Guest Frugalsar

Hi everyone,

My husband and I (we also have kids, 11 and 10 years) have decided to get the ball rolling on emigrating to perth where I have an Aunt and my best friend moved there a year ago. I qualified as an Adult Nurse last year and have been working on a Renal Medicine ward. I am totally bamboozled by all the information on the web and am so confused as to the whole process! My Aunt is a Professor of Nursing in Perth and has given me several contacts with regard to job vacancies so I have chosen the hospital that seems the best, in the most suitable place and with the best reputation and have emailed and received a reply to say send my CV and that they do sponsor UK Nurses :-) Can anyone give me an idea of the process that I will go through if they like my CV and agree to sponsor me? Is there anything I can be doing in advance to speed things up and also show that I am keen and willing? Will I need the IELT or the skills assessment everyone is mentioning? will my sponsored visa cover my family too? (my husband will be looking for a job in retail over there). I have a UK Adult Nursing Diploma, how will this translate? What will the pay band be, is it like the NHS where there are bands with increments? Arrgh I have about a million questions!!!

I'm just starting on this too Frugalsar.

Have you been to http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ ?

You need to choose the visa that is most suitable for you, and go from there. Check the point system and make sure you have enough points or find out what you need to work on. Being newly qualified will be to your disadvantage, but it also considers age and qualifications.

I'm still trying to figure this out myself - but within the point system is the language proficiency. Look at http://www.anmc.org.au/assessment_process

I need to know if as the second applicant on a visa (my husband will be the main) if I need to do the IELTS as well, or if as i'm from the UK i automatically get 'competent' awarded. Can anyone help me??

A warning to any nurses over 50 who are in Oz on a 457 visa.

I applied for PR with the full support of my sponsor. To my horror my application was refused. Among the reason being that Australia wants a "young skilled workforce".

I have extensive experience including management which was ignored by the immigration officer. My whole family have relocated here and my husband is working, we have moved everything here.

I have read recently that the likely shortage of nurses and midwives over the next 13 years is between 80,000 and 147,000.

How does refusing visas to nurses willing and very capable make any sense.

Australia does not deserve to benefit from my skills therefore I am thinking of heading home, my treatment by Australian immigration has been outrageous.

Has any other nurse experienced anything similar.

MKF

So sorry to hear this. I hope things improve for you and your family. Were in Aus are you?

Hi friends,

Can you please guide me ? My girlfriend studied Bachelor of Nursing from Australia and she will receive her Registration from AHRPA in 2 weeks (hopefully). After she is registered, will she be able to apply for graduate visa 485 after this process ? Or she will have to get her assessment from ANMC ? She is a fresh graduate. Please kindly let us know. He visa is going to expire on 30th September. :wideeyed:

Guest Kanmani Barthasarathy

Hi ,This is Kans,

I am new to this forum. and i came australia as 309 spouse visa two months back. I am qualified Nurse. and i completed Msc Nursing in india. I have 10years experience in Operation theater. I am searching in internet last two months for my work start in australia,but all are givern idea only IELTs or OET. i did my IELTs 6.5 all ..I want to know what is the other way to get job in Australia with my current eligibility. Any one please give me idea and i am ready to do any related courses also...

Thanks in advance.

Kans

Hi ,This is Kans,

I am new to this forum. and i came australia as 309 spouse visa two months back. I am qualified Nurse. and i completed Msc Nursing in india. I have 10years experience in Operation theater. I am searching in internet last two months for my work start in australia,but all are givern idea only IELTs or OET. i did my IELTs 6.5 all ..I want to know what is the other way to get job in Australia with my current eligibility. Any one please give me idea and i am ready to do any related courses also...

Thanks in advance.

Kans

Hi as you are Indian trained nurse, you have to clear IELTS or OET if you want to register with AHPRA as a registered nurse. Please check with the universities. Plz look at the posts of 'akmirror'. His girlfriend is from Nepal and she completed BSc Nursing in Australia but still she had to clear OET to gain the AHPRA registration. Check his posts you will get more information. But being trained in India unless you completed study in Australia for 4 or 5 years (I am not sure) or English test it's not possible to register with AHPRA.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

mansawant

Hi, we have just received our PR visa's (finally!!!!!) and are due to fly out to perth in May to activate, we are not planning on moving to Oz until 2014.

I am a nurse and had all the skill assessment but have not registered with APHRA, should i do this now or can i do it closer to the time, i have sat the IELTs but i know it expires after 2 years which will be in about 9 months!! does anybody know if it matters that it is over this time as i really cant bring myself to go through that test again!! I have worked in A&E for 10 years is it easy enough to find work and what the pay structure is like??? would i go to the bottom or does experience count?

sorry one more question, we are looking at the different suburbs around rockingham but its a minefield, any advice on nice/affordable suburbs near good schools and hospitals for work. We have two small children 3 and 6.

Thanks

Hayley x

Guest forgetmenot

Hi, im 48 and thinking about going to brisbane, could anyone help me with, (1) am i to old, (2) whould i have enough time to build up a decent pension, (3) would i find work, (4) which visa should i apply for,

(5) am i insane even considering this move and (6) i'd be leaving a 21yr old daughter and taking a very keen 16yr old daughter has enyone left children behind and how did they cope, any and all help or

advise would be great. ( i'v been nursing for 30yrs.)

Thanks.

hiya all.

needing some reasurance here

im a trained nurse, RMN with 6 years experience.got my AHPRA but cant find sponsorship. awaiting the outcome of what appeared to be a good interview for what would be a fantastic job. sold our house in march and since then my family and i have been living appart unsure of time lines and not wanting to commit to a 6 month rental, its been awful, such a strain on our relationships and that of our 5 yo daughter. were almost at the point of throwing in the towel on our OZ dream just so we can be under the same roof. yet our future is not in the uk. what do i do, do i hold out for a week to see if this job interview comes to a job, which might turn into 2,3 ,4 weeks. i want to give this every chance and i want this job. please folks. advice.

Hey everybody, my name is Jen I am currently attempting to complete the ANMC form for registration....it's so confusing!!! If anybody could help I would be so grateful!!

1) what is my health practitioner registration? Is this the dates I have been registered with the Nmc from?? And because I am still registered and working at the moment what date do I put in the to box?

2) Do I need to fill out any of question 26 about my English language skills as I have lived in England all my life??

3) on question 29, about agent authorisation, is that my details I fill out?? And who is the significant other??

I am planning on moving over to Brisbane in February and so wanted to get forms sorted while still in the UK. I have also heard that its best ti send my application ti a smaller state as waiting time for forms to be accepted is less, anybody know if this is true?? If anybody could give me any advise I would be eternally grateful :)

Thanks so much!!

Jen

Archived