Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mygals09
I applied in adelaide and then ended up in sydney. i went to ahpra last tuesday in sydney with my paperwork and paid outstanding fee required.. they sent my paperwork to adelaide and i recieved email today ( 8 working days later) to say I am officially registered as a nurse in australia. hope this helps! :D

Delaneym

What paperwork did you have to provide to complete the registration?

As a English nurse trained in England, am I right in thinking I don't have to do he ILETS?? So confused?. Please help!!

jeng you DONT need to do the ilets as long as you can prove you have been educated from high school onwards in english and that english is your first language. all you need is a letter from your high school saying you attended that school and were taught in english. i have just got my AHPRA reg and i didnt do the ilets. any issues PM me

You dont need anything with GCSE english on it, as i cannot find my results paper :( So if i call my secondary school and ask for a letter stating i attended that school and all education was in English that would be ok? How many points would that be then? As depending on how you do in the Ielts depends on points for visa doesn't it?

You dont need anything with GCSE english on it, as i cannot find my results paper :( So if i call my secondary school and ask for a letter stating i attended that school and all education was in English that would be ok? How many points would that be then? As depending on how you do in the Ielts depends on points for visa doesn't it?

i dont know if you will need your high school education grades or not, i sent mine with my college and uni educational certs, i also had to get the transcripts sent directly from the university which cost about £30. along with this you MUST send a letter from your school on their headed paper and signed by the head teacher simply saying that you attended that school and that your education was in english. the rules changed with regards to the ilets test late last year to allow people who have been educated in english to gain a visa quicker.

For points tested visas you have to take the IELTS test, it's also needed for ANMAC skills assessment. If you go the 457 route, you don't have to take IELTS if you can prove you had 5 years continuous secondary English education. This is the same for AHPRA registration as well.

I applied in adelaide and then ended up in sydney. i went to ahpra last tuesday in sydney with my paperwork and paid outstanding fee required.. they sent my paperwork to adelaide and i recieved email today ( 8 working days later) to say I am officially registered as a nurse in australia. hope this helps! :D

Hi Delaneym, congrats! just want to ask if you need employment offer letter for you to claim your AHPRA registration? Thank you.

Hi Delaneym, congrats! just want to ask if you need employment offer letter for you to claim your AHPRA registration? Thank you.
well i gave her my passport ( it had visa in it) and a copy of visa ( she didnt want it) and a bank statement with my australian address on and my ahpra eligibility letter and the fee.. i said do you want my offer of employment she said its up to you.. i asked if you had to have it to get registration she said no but I gave her mine anyway... i know what others have said on here but I can only give you my experience. marion

Guest MUMOF4

Good morning

I am travelling to Perth at the end of October with my family, prior to applying for permenent residency on our return (hubby is main applicant). I work as a health visitor in the UK and would like to meet with a Child & Family Lead Nurse when i visit to discuss opportunities etc. Despite numerous attempts to find a contact i am coming to a dead end.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Good morning

I am travelling to Perth at the end of October with my family, prior to applying for permenent residency on our return (hubby is main applicant). I work as a health visitor in the UK and would like to meet with a Child & Family Lead Nurse when i visit to discuss opportunities etc. Despite numerous attempts to find a contact i am coming to a dead end.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

You could ask these guys in the uk

http://www.wago.co.uk/index.php/opportunities-for-health-professionals.html

They should be able to point you in the right direction

WR

Hi everyone!

Looking to start the process in the next 18 months or so, however just wondering.....I am a qualified nurse with 9 months experience to date, I am pondering whether to do my midwifery shortened course (18 months) starting Sept 2013. Is it better to go over with a degree? Is it better to be dual qualified with regards to job prostpects? Could i do a shortened midwifery course in Oz would a hospital second me to do this like they do in the UK?

Hiii,

I am a BAND 5 nurse in the UK and have been a nurse for 15 months, I have started applying for jobs in Brisbane as I now have my registration to practice nursing in Australia (finally!!!) and just wanted to check what grade I am in Oz if I am Band 5 in the UK. I'm worried i'm looking at the wrong jobs so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirst :) xx

Hi everyone' I'm Jo and I am a community psychiatric nurse currently living in Cumbria and hoping to relocate to Perth with my hubby Dave and 3 sons aged 16, 7 & 2. Everything is so overwhelming at starting the process to be able to emigrate!!!! I have getting advice from someone I trained with and she already lives in Adelaide. I finally received a response from AHPRA today with guidelines, application form etc. Wouldn't mind but I've just paid £95 to the emigration group to assist me with visa etc only to be gold I would HAVE to sit the English language test whereas my friend said she didn't have to. She simply got proof of her education and nursing qualification. The agent I have been dealing with says I have to do the English test to be able to get enough points........oh I'm so confused :( I wold welcome any advice help that anyone can give us :) xx

Hiii Jo.

I'm Kirst, I'm from Cumbria also and I have just been granted my registration in Brisbane. How is yours going? It's absolutely awful getting though the process, mine took 11 months to complete because it seems nothing was right for them. Do you need any help/advise? All i'll say right now is do not give up, it's all here to test you!!! It will be worth it. I'm looking for jobs now and I can't wait to leave this wet cold county!! haha :)

Guest flinty31

Hi Kirst!!!!!! Whereabouts are you from in Cumbria? It's fab to know there are others from our area planning to venture to Oz. what made you choose Brisbane? Yes I could do with some help!!!!!! Was the first thing you did was to apply to AHPRA for your registration? Who did you get to certify your documents and did you sit the IELTS as I really don't want to do it and someone I know in Adelaide said she didn't have to do it as she was sponsored and just had to provide proof of her education and training etc. As I'm aware though, if your sponsored you have to arrange private medical insurance and I don't think I will be entitled to any help relating to my children, as in child tax etc like I get over here and to get residence, I was told I would have to do the English test to obtain that particular visa! Feels like a nightmare!! lol x

Hi everyone!

Well my other half didnt get into WA police :( so i am going to go ahead and do my midwifery starting Sept 2013 for 18 months so i will have my degree and be qualified in something else then we are looking at moving. I am going to try getting a PR visa so my other half can apply to an Oz police force but if i cant then he is thinking of doing an apprenticeship in something, as there are alot of these advertised on Seek.

Does anyone know if there are more opportunities for a dual qualified nurse/midwife? Where should we be looking at moving to as havent got a clue? lol

Hello Flinty31 i dont know if this is much help to you but I have just started the process of applying for my registration etc etc to work in Sydney. I have a friend over there who from start to finish took her 9months, she advised me to go through a website called Health Staff Recruitement Australia. I sent them my CV and the next day they rang me and answered all my questions and sent me all the paperwork I'm going to need throught the whole process. Once my registration has been approved (which I sent 3weeks ago now) they will get back in contact with me and help start applying for jobs. Don't know if this helps you or not but I find it useful having someone over there who I can answer my questions etc etc they are also going to help in finding me a place to live, bank accounts etc etc .

Carly x

Hi Kirst!!!!!! Whereabouts are you from in Cumbria? It's fab to know there are others from our area planning to venture to Oz. what made you choose Brisbane? Yes I could do with some help!!!!!! Was the first thing you did was to apply to AHPRA for your registration? Who did you get to certify your documents and did you sit the IELTS as I really don't want to do it and someone I know in Adelaide said she didn't have to do it as she was sponsored and just had to provide proof of her education and training etc. As I'm aware though, if your sponsored you have to arrange private medical insurance and I don't think I will be entitled to any help relating to my children, as in child tax etc like I get over here and to get residence, I was told I would have to do the English test to obtain that particular visa! Feels like a nightmare!! lol x

Hello Flinty31 i dont know if this is much help to you but I have just started the process of applying for my registration etc etc to work in Sydney. I have a friend over there who from start to finish took her 9months, she advised me to go through a website called Health Staff Recruitement Australia. I sent them my CV and the next day they rang me and answered all my questions and sent me all the paperwork I'm going to need throught the whole process. Once my registration has been approved (which I sent 3weeks ago now) they will get back in contact with me and help start applying for jobs. Don't know if this helps you or not but I find it useful having someone over there who I can answer my questions etc etc they are also going to help in finding me a place to live, bank accounts etc etc .

Carly x

Guest flinty31

Hi Carly,

Thanks for all the info. I am in touch with a nurse I know in Adelaide and she said just to get things with AHPRA moving first. I'm just not sure what to about documents and who has to certify them etc. I will give the place you recommended a look though as job hunting I can imagine will be a nightmare!!!! Are you looking to get sponsored Carly? X

They told me too to get my APHRA sorted first (which i have now done) then I contatct them back and they will go through the next stage with me, i.e applying for a job as well as gettin on the bank system over there.

My friend went to Sydney in April on a working holiday visa after a few weeks in a job they have offered her a 4yr sponsorship. I'm thinking Im just going to get myself a working holiday visa to begin with then take it from there, least then if i want to move I can. I may change my mind when it comes to it!

I really reccomend contacting them as so far its been pretty straight forward. They sent me all the paperwork I'll need plus a list of what type of people can certify your documents, what info i need to send over with my application plus any silly little question i've had they answer too! They have sent me information on exactly they like your CV to look (as they are very particular) plus loads of information about howmuch each step is gonna cost in appliying/ pay scales/ cost of living!!! Like I said took my friend 9months from contacting them to having a start date which is quite exciting!!

Hope they help as much they have helped me so far. I received an email this week to let me know my application has been received and is bein processed so if i can help in anyway with the APHRA application let me know! And goodluck

Carly x

Guest Frugalsar
AHPRA eligibility recieved today :D Thank you to everybody that has helped and advised me. Now to find a job :)

Hi, could you tell me how long your AHPRA took? Also who did you get to certify your documents? Thanks for your help!

Archived