Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I just check, the transcripts from uni, why do you have to get them signed if u end them yourself? Has anybody sent them and not got them signed? I have just got mine sent to me from uni and I was going to send them with all my other documents??

Please help!!

Thank you!!

Hi Robertsclan, is it a 457 visa? If so then its just the visa holder, unless the dependants are going to be working in healthcare/schools! Mine cost £375, in total! Where are you headed? We are heading to Sydney on 30 Dec. Excited! Can't wait to get back there! Good luck x

HI CarlosK yes we are heading to Sydney in Mar/April if all goes according to plan... My husband is being sponsored by a hosp on a 457 and we are going as his dependants so thats to be good news for us if we don't need to get meds done too! My goodness your departure date is soon!! A hot New Year for you and yours! Are you are family or couple? Good luck with it all and enjoy the rest of your time here in a winterwonderland. Thanks for getting back with info x

Guest chris1971

OK - interesting reading and well done those who have got their dream.

Ours is possibly just starting out but we are confused. Family of 4 - husband is a Solicitor (but have been told it is very difficult to get over to AUS via this - better trying to complete conversion exams when over there so as to be able to register with relevant legal practice board).

We cannot go yet, wife is 2 years into her 3 year nurse training course - she will be 42 when she qualifies (hopefully) - Will (hopefully) finish towards end of 2013 - she is currently sponsored by NHS so that may create an issue as she is supposed to work for them for 2 years after the course but we will look at that and balance the options.

The query is this, how do we get to Aus (Visa?) - we had a bit of feedback and have been told she might be able to get a graduate scheme in Perth with 3 months experience - but if that is the case, when should she start applying (presumably straight to the hospitals??) and which visa should she apply for (457)? We spoke to an agent at Go matilda and it was suggested we could, perhaps towards thye middle to back end of 2013 start to register with nursing agencies so my wife might get sponsorship and let the agency deal with everything(does this help with flights/finding a property etc) - if so do the agents sort the visa and again which would it be? would the fmaily be able to go and husband look to find a job before we go based upon the wife's visa?

Does everyone need to have a nurse graduate course? if so how can wife work with an agency? will they be putting her through the course whilst she works for them?

So confusing..............HELP PLEASE

Hi chris1971, I think the agent is referring to the nursing graduate scheme. Its not a course. Its a transitional period for student nurse to nurse, you work withina hospital in different areas on a rotational basis. There are usually limited places, and can be preferred for Australian students. That's my experience of them. Not sure what visa that would be required for that! Mine is 457, employer sponsored. They sponsor your dependents too. Hope this helps. Good luck xx

Guest chris1971

Thanks CarlosK

Can I ask how you went about it and how long it all took - where do you find/get the sponsored posts (is this just applying for jobs that are being offered by agents?)

Can you recommend any agencies

Hi everyone

I am a qualified adult nurse with 11 months experience to date working on an emergency assessment unit. I am wanting to start the process of emigrating now and want to know where exactly to begin. I am 30 years old and my fiance is also 30 we have no children. We are thinking of going to Queensland. I am wanting to apply for a PR visa as we need this so my other half can apply to the Queensland police service in Oz. Can anyone help please? x

Am i correct in thinking that i would take the Ielts first then apply to ANMAC? Just been reading on the ANMAC website and it states you have to take the ielts. Couldnt i just send in proof on headed paper from my old school stating i was taught in English for 5 years and what my english gsce result was and a statement from the uni stating i was taught in english for 3 years with them? I have read posts on here where people have got out of doing the ielts, would be good if i dont HAVE to do it! x

VICANDSTEVE,

HI, the process is very confussing! We have just handed in the last piece of paper work for our visa and hoping our case officer will be a quick one!

We have applied for a PR VISA as we have 2 young boy and found this to be the best for us. As i understand, whoever is applying for the visa has to sit the IELTS in order to pass their skills assessment. In our case it is under my husbands name as it has been much quicker than a nurses visa. therfore, i will just apply to AHPRA and not ANMAC, so i will not need the IELTS, just prove my British education. My Husband had to sit the IELTS to pass his ANMAC skills assesment. You only need a 7 in each catagory to pass the IELTS. At the start of our process both my husband and I were going to both apply for ANMAC to double our chances of getting a visa, also you get an extra 5 points for having a partner on the skills list, so I did did the IELTS, but have not needed to use it. My husband got all his paper work together really quick and got his skills assessed and passed withing 4 weeks while i was still waiting for references and paper work from uni, so we decided to save the money on my application and just go with my husbands. He had 75 points without the extra 5 from me so there was no rush to get mine sorted in the end. Im not sure if this is different for different types of visa's but this is how it was for our 189/190 PR visa. My husband is still contracted to work untill June 2013, so as soon as our visa's are granted we will be booking flights to brisbaine for 7th july 2013! I have emailed Brisbaine childrens hospital direct and they sent me an application form but said not to send back until after xmas if not arriving until june/july, so I am going to start my APHRA process at the start of the new year. Hope you get the process started and hope you arrive safely in OZ. X

Hi, I know this has probably been covered numerous times but I really need some advice on behalf of my sister. She is a qualified (6+yrs) paediatric nurse looking at coming to join me in sunny Brisbane on a 457 visa. How does she start this process?

She has told me that she has been applying to agencies here but everywhere in Queensland says they don't sponsor. Apparently she has been told to apply straight to the hospital but it will cost her £600 to transfer her training, is this right???

Anyone got any clues on what to tell her and how the process works as I don't have a clue but would really love my little sis to come out here!! Thanks Liz

Hi, I know this has probably been covered numerous times but I really need some advice on behalf of my sister. She is a qualified (6+yrs) paediatric nurse looking at coming to join me in sunny Brisbane on a 457 visa. How does she start this process?

She has told me that she has been applying to agencies here but everywhere in Queensland says they don't sponsor. Apparently she has been told to apply straight to the hospital but it will cost her £600 to transfer her training, is this right???

Anyone got any clues on what to tell her and how the process works as I don't have a clue but would really love my little sis to come out here!! Thanks Liz

What do you mean by "transfer her training"?

Can't help you I'm afraid as sponsorship has indeed been 'frozen" in the public sector................at least in brisbane although some regional areas still offer sponsorship as they can't fill the positions otherwise........in fact, employment from "outside" (non - sponsored) is practically frozen as well for the time being. Vacancies are being filled mainly from within the sector and many new Aussie grads can't find employment. Her best bet would be to seek sponsorship from the private sector as the feeling amongst many public sector nurses is that the intention of the current state Gov't is to drive patient care there.

I was also wondering what you mean by 'transfer her training' If she qualified as a nurse in the UK then this qualification is recognised in Australia but she will have to apply to the Australian registration board (AHPRA) the same as in the UK a nurse has to be registered with the NMC.

As for starting the process of getting a 457 visa... there is only 1 way to get a 457 visa and that is to find an employer that is willing to sponsor you. Speaking as someone who is also a nurse (although mental health) and who wanted to move to Brisbane/Queensland on a 457 visa this is very difficult to do at the moment. There are few jobs in Brisbane at the moment and even fewer that will recruit people from overseas on a 457 as they are able to fill the positions they do have with local candidates. The only public sector jobs that are currently offering 457 sponsorship in Queensland are for remote area's and I have been told this by representatives from Queensland Health when I went to a recruitment drive. I was also told the same thing by representatives from NSW Health when I went for my interview. They told me that there was a recruitment freeze in Queensland at present and that there was a lot of competition for jobs for Australian residents. After doing a lot a research and looking at what I wanted from my move to Australia I decided that I would move to a different state and have secured a job in NSW but if your sister wants to move to Brisbane specifically then I think she may have to look at some different visa options. Such as PR or if she is under 30 a working holiday visa (as it can be easier to secure sponsorship if you are already in the country working on a WHV.)

Sorry I don't have more positive news. She may have some luck with private hospitals but again the competition is very high at the moment.

Hi I'm a paediatric nurse in Brisbane. I work at the Mater children's hospital, they sponsored me on a 457 last year. They seem to be the only place at the moment to be offering sponsorship but as the others have said there are lots of people looking for jobs so your sister would have to prove she is better than everyone else. She could try applying for jobs through there website there is a whole bit for overseas nurses.

I came over on a working holiday visa and worked for agencies until I got my job here and got sponsored. That might be the easiest way to do it. She would have to register with AHPRA which was about 300 pounds and get a medical done 200 pounds and pay the 100 pounds for the visa. so that might be the 600 pounds you mean? The 457 visa costs about $400. Hope that's helpful

Kirsty x

Hi guys I am a nurse who is going to take the Ielts beginning of 2013 I need 20 points for a 189 visa so therefore need a score of 8 or above in each area of the ielts. However my question is, do i take the academic ielts (the one everyone has been telling me to take) or the general ielts (the one it says to take on immi website). As its £145 to take i dont want to take the wrong one!

Please help guys :)

You need to sit the academic and get 7s for the ANMAC. If you get 8s then all well and good. I didn't so had to sit the general in order to get the 8s for the extra points.

Hi guys I'm a community nurse married with two young children me and hubby have decided to take the plunge and come to oz in search of a better life.

Just a few questions I hope any one can answer

1- what is the average pay for nurses in south Australia these days

2- does community nurses exist in Australia?

thanx for all the help

Guest guest79615

im a nurse bla bla bla, when my 457 visa runs out can i get it renewed for another 4 years ? Or do i need to apply for a different visa after that? (if i dont want pr)

thanks

Archived