Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive contacted A.H.P.R.A. and they said they wouldn't 'as they are different organisations' :-( Which is a shame.

I am looking into the process for the 189 visa, I did initially look at 457 but struggled to find many that would sponsor and weren't in a remote area, don't think that working in a remote area would be great for my kids x

I have emailed ANMAC to check if have to certify all my documents again for them - I hope not! Can't believe ANMAC can email to AHPRA, but AHPRA wont reciprocate the same :-/

Hi guys,

just question about medicals. We are about to book our medicals and found out there is not test for hep B or C required for nurse even thought medical staff usually need to have one. Is it just because we apply for 189 visa or did they make mistake in our skillselect?

Thanks

George

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I am nurse hubby physio at our medicals the only blood test was HIV no hep tests rest of medical consisted of weight height BP chest x ray Urinalsis eye test and strip to underwear for quick physical prod and poke also had to bend over touch toes. We are on independant skilled application

mem

I have emailed ANMAC to check if have to certify all my documents again for them - I hope not! Can't believe ANMAC can email to AHPRA, but AHPRA wont reciprocate the same :-/

How bizarre! Pleased Ive done Anmac first then as its such a faff!

I am nurse hubby physio at our medicals the only blood test was HIV no hep tests rest of medical consisted of weight height BP chest x ray Urinalsis eye test and strip to underwear for quick physical prod and poke also had to bend over touch toes. We are on independant skilled application

mem

Thanks, anyone else having similar experience? My agent still did not come back to me and at clinic they told me not everyone needs hep B&C tests even when medical professionals.

Thanks

George

Hey all,

just wondered if there's any more mental health nurses who can point me towards some books / websites to help me learn some of the aussie laws etc. I'm going to be coming on my partner's visa ( we hope- haven't applied yet still saving! ) and want to prepare myself the best way possible!

Thanks

Hannah xo

Hi Hannah. Each state and territory has it's own mental health legislation. So it depends where you wish to work. I suggest you start at the health department website of the state or territory in which you plan to settle, and go from there.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lulum1986

Just wondering if anyone could help please. I am a UK registered nurse, trying to fill out my AHPRA form and the payment section seems unclear. It says assessment fee 220 & application fee 160 & registration fee which is blank is this 160? Then the total I need to pay 540?

Also the bottom of the page there is a slim to fill in if paying with a debit card, I don't tear this off? And put it in separately? Just leave it attached to page?

Hi Lulum

My AHPRA took just under 8 weeks from posting it to receiving my eligibility. I did do a lot of research before I sent it off to make sure I had everything they requested though. Also if you were taught and examined in English for 5 years or over you don't need to do the language tests, you do need to send certified copies of your GCSE and A-Level certs, You need a letter from you high school confirming the dates you attended and that you were taught and examined in English and your university transcript must state that you were taught and examined in English (you get the idea).

Off the top of my head I sent the following with my application

Certified copies of birth certificate, passport and utility bill for ID

Full CV detailing all roles, responsibilities since qualifying etc ( I can send you a template for this if you need) This also has to be signed by you and your manager.

CPD which has to cover last 5 years I think but I have only been qualified for 2. I also had to include training record from work as evidence. This was on letter headed paper and signed by me and my manager.

Certified copies of main GCSE and A-Level certificates

Letter from my high school to say I have been taught and examined in English

Certified copy of my Statement of entry for the NMC and of the MNC pin card

In addition to this I got a full university transcript stating the course, modules, hours of study and in practice and (yep you got it) language taught in. This was sent directly from the uni to AHPRA or you have to get the whole thing certified. Also you need to request the NMC send a verification of good practice you can request a form on the web site. For these last 2 I requested they were sent off a few days after I sent my application off as I have heard documents can get lost if they arrive before you application.

One other tip is that the bigger offices eg Sydney and Brisbane tend to have a backlog of applications so can take a lot longer to come through. I sent mine to Adelaide.

Hope this helps someone at least. Lol

Emma

Ive sent my application to AHPRA today.. But I'm a bit concerned now... I've not sent all CPD certs.. I've only sent ones from the last 3yrs.. I've been qualified for 5 years.. Also, the letter from my secondary school only stated that I attended full time, stating the exact date and year.. But it didn't actually say I was taught and assessed in English.. But the headed paper shows that the school is in in UK... Oh dear.. I'm in panic now.. Because my Uni transcript does not state that I was taught in English either.. I had my original copy and just got this photocopied and certified.

I hope it's enough...

Hi to all,

I am just trying to get some information regarding the job situation for registered nurses especially in Perth. My girlfriend is a registered nurse doing her graduate nursing program in a Sydney Hospital. She is wanting to relocate to Perth where I am currently working. I am a permanent resident myself and we are looking to get married in near future. I just want to know, what should we expect regarding the nursing situation in Perth ? Ideally she would like to do a Level 1 Position as a Registered Nurse. Since she only is a graduate registered nurse, how high or less are the chances of her getting a job in a Hospital here in Perth ?

I just thought to post this query here to you all. Please do provide me some feedbacks in what to expect !!!!

Thank you

Cheers,

Guest lulum1986
Yep, leave it attached.. I sent mine off today... $540.00.... I best make sure the funds are available lol..

Good luck with it..

Yeah it is frightening. do you have to get a letter from the secondary school aswell?mi was just going to include my GCSE results?

Hi I am I nurse just qualified in September 2012 and currently working in Haematology, I plan to go out to Brisbane next year on the working holiday visa with my fiancee to get a taste of the working life out there. Will I be best to try and get a job before going out or will it be quite easy once over there. Any information will be great-full

Thank you

Jill

Hi I am a student nurse currently in my second year , i have 3 little girls and a husband. We are looking to move to oz after i qualify n save some funds to complete the move. My husband is a welder in a automotive factory. I am just curious on how long people waited to begin applying after they were qualified. We want to go as soon as possible and know we need to save some money. How much did the full process cost? (if people dont mind saying lol) and also would you recommend gaining employment before going out and if we did would the company I am employed with pay for my visa ( just mine). i know there is quite a few questions but we are just trying to make the right decision. we believe that once we r over there we will not want to come back to the uk. based one having 3 kids n both adults working what would people suggest our monthly bills will be? on average. we are looking to move to qld. i know all these figures have to be average but just for us to get a rough estimate. oh n would it be best to apply for visa then aphra then look for a job?

Hi I am a student nurse currently in my second year , i have 3 little girls and a husband. We are looking to move to oz after i qualify n save some funds to complete the move. My husband is a welder in a automotive factory. I am just curious on how long people waited to begin applying after they were qualified. We want to go as soon as possible and know we need to save some money. How much did the full process cost? (if people dont mind saying lol) and also would you recommend gaining employment before going out and if we did would the company I am employed with pay for my visa ( just mine). i know there is quite a few questions but we are just trying to make the right decision. we believe that once we r over there we will not want to come back to the uk. based one having 3 kids n both adults working what would people suggest our monthly bills will be? on average. we are looking to move to qld. i know all these figures have to be average but just for us to get a rough estimate. oh n would it be best to apply for visa then aphra then look for a job?

A lot of questions and tbh, you won't get a really helpful answer as it is highly probable that those answers will be based on past and present findings/prices/job opportunities. Things are changing fast in Qld. Currently none of the public sector in the SE corner is sponsoring and rumour has it that sponsoring for the whole of Qld is about to cease. That leaves you with the private sector and as a new grad, you will struggle to find a job as those taking redundancy in the public sector are re-employing in the private. Sorry to bring bad news but as I've said before, it can all change tomorrow based on a public backlash or later still based on a change of gov't.

Carry on as is, with your "dream", try and get some experience under your belt, and ask the questions after you qualify and you will get more accurate answers.

Good luck

To register with the AHPRA you need a minimum 3 months experience. We are applying for a sponsorship visa, which is the fastest route and you require 3 years experience. If you look in the RCN, Nursing times etc at the back there are plenty of recruitment agencies. That's how we got our jobs. Our sponsor/employer(NSW) didn't offer to cover any costs, however WA had offered, but we chose to go NSW.

I'm unsure as to how much we have spent so far, but the sponsorship is by far the cheapest the route, especially as a nurse.

You will need to apply to the AHPRA before you can apply for a visa.

For information on Nurse salary in NSW have a look at this site:-

http://www0.health.nsw.gov.au/nursing/employment/nurse_award_wage_rates_11.asp

As for the cost of living, there are plenty of websites out there that can give you averages...

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Im a student nurse planning on moving out to Oz on my partners visa after I qualify this year. Does anyone know the process I will have to undertake to register to work as a nurse in Oz? Is the fact I will have no employment experience as a nurse going to be a major problem for us? Ive looked at the various websites but just end up really confused by all the info :/

thanks x

Note to all be VERY wary about coming to Australia relying purely on agency work. I am with two agencies, both of whom before leaving the UK assured me I would get plenty of work. I have been working four weeks now, allocated 14 shifts and have had 10 of these cancelled.......Just to make you aware. A permanent job may be not so tempting, but it pays the bills.....

Also I applied to AHPRA beginning of last year paid the assessment fee, was granted my registration in June to be activated on entry to Australia, I paid the further registration fee in March, and low and behold, before even doing a shift......I have to renew my registration by the end of May......More money required argh.......Be aware of this also. Its not cheap, and the NMC back home still expect us to oay our full registration price.

Must add, on a positive note, Sydney is amazing, roll on hopefully getting some more permanent work :-)

HI,

Im a student nurse planning on moving out to Oz on my partners visa after I qualify this year. Does anyone know the process I will have to undertake to register to work as a nurse in Oz? Is the fact I will have no employment experience as a nurse going to be a major problem for us? Ive looked at the various websites but just end up really confused by all the info :/

thanks x

I think you'd struggle to find a position in the public sector as they can't even find places for Australian new grads atm.

Note to all be VERY wary about coming to Australia relying purely on agency work. I am with two agencies, both of whom before leaving the UK assured me I would get plenty of work. I have been working four weeks now, allocated 14 shifts and have had 10 of these cancelled.......Just to make you aware. A permanent job may be not so tempting, but it pays the bills.....

Also I applied to AHPRA beginning of last year paid the assessment fee, was granted my registration in June to be activated on entry to Australia, I paid the further registration fee in March, and low and behold, before even doing a shift......I have to renew my registration by the end of May......More money required argh.......Be aware of this also. Its not cheap, and the NMC back home still expect us to oay our full registration price.

Must add, on a positive note, Sydney is amazing, roll on hopefully getting some more permanent work :-)

Why is it we need to still cont paying our NMC fee if we are in Oz?

Hi Peeps, i'm a registered mental health nurse with over 4 yrs clinical experience on the acute ward for WAA. I have AHPRA eligibility letter and so far havent (via recruitment agency) found any 457 sponsorship job vacancies :(

Has any of you guys had any luck? advice would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Laura

Archived