Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest Hacking family
Hi, we have just received our PR visa's (finally!!!!!) and are due to fly out to perth in May to activate, we are not planning on moving to Oz until 2014.

I am a nurse and had all the skill assessment but have not registered with APHRA, should i do this now or can i do it closer to the time, i have sat the IELTs but i know it expires after 2 years which will be in about 9 months!! does anybody know if it matters that it is over this time as i really cant bring myself to go through that test again!! I have worked in A&E for 10 years is it easy enough to find work and what the pay structure is like??? would i go to the bottom or does experience count?

sorry one more question, we are looking at the different suburbs around rockingham but its a minefield, any advice on nice/affordable suburbs near good schools and hospitals for work. We have two small children 3 and 6.

Thanks

Hayley x

Hi Hayley, i am a theatre nurse at Peel Health Campus in Mandurah. I live in Settlers Hills in Baldivis. We have been here 6 months now. It takes me 30 minutes to drive to work. There is Rockingham General Hospital nearby(20 minutes) it looks nice but i haven't worked there, a few of the anaesthetists i work with say it is nice. Both hospitals have busy emergency departments. I have 6 years experience as a staff nurse and am paid as a 1;6 which is level 1 with 6 years experience. works out at roughly $1900 every fortnight (76 hours per fortnight). If you are looking at the bigger hospitals in Perth I can safely say the commute from here is a nightmare, the freeway gets really busy. I initially started at Hollywood hospital but the commute got the better of me adding anything from 40 minutes to 90 minutes to either end of my day. Baldivis is an up and coming area we love it here my kids go to Settlers Primary and they enjoy it. It took about 12 weeks to get my letter of eligibility from AHPRA and then you have to go to their office in Perth to complete your registration which takes a further two weeks to process. I took the IELTs too but did read somewhere that all you have to do is prove that you have studied in English and it is not necessary ( may also depend on the type of visa - mine was an ENS121) if i can be of any more help let me know.

Sarah

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I am a registered adult nurse from Kent, I qualified in May 2012 and I have worked for 5 months in adult ITU and now I am working in neonatal (special care, HDU and ITU). I am looking to move over to Australia with my family within the coming year. I am getting all my paperwork ready for AHPRA (nightmare). Just wondered if anyone knew of any hospitals that would employ a UK nurse.

Thanks

Hiya all, I am a psychiatric nurse currently working on an acute assessment ward. My oh has had a telephone interview and are awaiting outcome OMG. It feels sereal at the mininute, initially it was me who was giong to be the main applicant however, oh decided to apply for this job. The company are giong to sponser our family on 457. I wanted to ask I will also be looking for a job too. I know about the registration side with aphra however a little confused on salary and levels? I have been qualified for six years coming up, if calculations are $1,900 a fortnight, works out $2,353 a four week month which is £1,540 which is less than what I already earn. Help x

Guest guest79615
Hiya all, I am a psychiatric nurse currently working on an acute assessment ward. My oh has had a telephone interview and are awaiting outcome OMG. It feels sereal at the mininute, initially it was me who was giong to be the main applicant however, oh decided to apply for this job. The company are giong to sponser our family on 457. I wanted to ask I will also be looking for a job too. I know about the registration side with aphra however a little confused on salary and levels? I have been qualified for six years coming up, if calculations are $1,900 a fortnight, works out $2,353 a four week month which is £1,540 which is less than what I already earn. Help x

Hi, all sounds exciting for you :) but where have you got these salary figures from?

Thanks

Hi alall looking for information on the best way to go about getting a job in perth. I am currently a scrub nurse and also have neuro iTU experience as well.

Is it better to go through a agency eg geneva health or through the hospitals themselves. Also what salary am I looking at?

Looking forward to someone replying!!!

:wub:

Sydney are sponsoring nurses for 457 visa, look at international recruitment agencies who will find you a full time job with a hospital, employed by the hospital for no fee. I went for 457 as its quicker, lasts 4 years and im not sure i want to stay any longer than that and if i do i will apply for PR when im over there, some people prefer PR straight up though. Good luck xx

hey thank u for your help!

Have u heard of professional connections? And are they any good? Also, do u know anything about including my boyfriend on the 457 visa, do u know how long it takes?

Sorry about all the questions!! Just eager to get things sorted. :D

Hi,

I wondered if any of the lovely nurses on here would help me.

I am wanting to retrain as a nurse, i am 33, and currently working in admin. I have no qualifications to speak of, such as GCSE's.

I have looked at Pathway into nursing courses, and have come across this http://www.ncsi.co.uk/other-courses.php

Does this look like something i should do? I have read through it and i think it is, but would like the opinions of those in the know please.

Thank you

Guest guest79615

Yeah professional connections are meant to be good too, i nearly went with them but just preferred the woman i spoke to at health staff recruitment. do you and your boyfriend live together?? 457 visa doesn't take long at all but you need ahpra registration.

hey thank u for your help!

Have u heard of professional connections? And are they any good? Also, do u know anything about including my boyfriend on the 457 visa, do u know how long it takes?

Sorry about all the questions!! Just eager to get things sorted. :D

Guest guest79615

you should do an access course at college, access nursing, or access science, or access healthcare

Hi,

I wondered if any of the lovely nurses on here would help me.

I am wanting to retrain as a nurse, i am 33, and currently working in admin. I have no qualifications to speak of, such as GCSE's.

I have looked at Pathway into nursing courses, and have come across this http://www.ncsi.co.uk/other-courses.php

Does this look like something i should do? I have read through it and i think it is, but would like the opinions of those in the know please.

Thank you

Hiya, I applied for the access to health course at my local college which was full time and 1 year there were also 2 year and evening classes which do take longer. I was also working 30 hours in a nursing home. This would be an excellent start to kicking off a new career as it would give you insight into the caring field and gives you experience to add to cv.

I like you was a mature student and applied to univercity at the grand age of 34 ha. Qualified in 2007 and currently working as a psychiatric nurse in my local area. I love my job and it has opened many doors to which in the process of undertaking the move to OZ. Hope this helps. Is Oz your future plan?

Is not $1900 every 2 weeks $3800 every 4 weeks?

Where are you headed? I am psychiatric nurse coming up 5 years qualified and am looking at starting salary in Melbourne on level 1 of 56,276 which when put through Aussie pay calculator gives figure of $3800 monthly have been told shift allowances will also lift base by around 15%

Is not $1900 every 2 weeks $3800 every 4 weeks?

Where are you headed? I am psychiatric nurse coming up 5 years qualified and am looking at starting salary in Melbourne on level 1 of 56,276 which when put through Aussie pay calculator gives figure of $3800 monthly have been told shift allowances will also lift base by around 15%

Basic maths dear , 52 weeks a year , 26 fortnights a year 12 months a year. A calendar month does not have exactly 4 weeks

Basic maths dear , 52 weeks a year , 26 fortnights a year 12 months a year. A calendar month does not have exactly 4 weeks

He states 2353 per 4 week month not calendar month and in any case 1900 per 2 weeks divided by 2 gives 950 pw x 52 = 49,400 divide by 12 and you get 4116.

Hi all.

just a wee question to those in the know, I'm lookin to move to Oz with hopefully my wife in the very near future, I'm looking into my work here hopefully sponsoring me n gettin me a transfer to the same company in Oz, so fingers are crossed on that one.

my main question/query is that my wife is a nurse with the NHS, has been for over 15 years now (she's actually the sister in her Dept now) but the concern is that she's slightly older than me, she's 49, do you guys think in all honesty she would still get a job in Oz if/when we move across there....I know there's a cut off age for skilled migrants but I still reckon (maybe I'm bein naive/too hopeful) that she would get a job over in Oz?

mant advice/opinions/feedback once again would be most welcome

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Willie G

Hi Willie I think the age limit only applies for the main applicant so if you are sponsored by your company then your wife would come over as your dependant she will need to register with AHPRA and then would be in a position to approach hospitals in the area where you are going to settle

Hello everyone! I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your forum.

I just finished up studying in Australia and am now doing my Honours research back in the UK. I'm looking into migration patterns of nurses/midwives, particularly from the UK to Australia, factors influencing emigration, intentions at the time of moving, intentions after moving and perceptions of work in Australia compared to the UK. It's for nurses/midwives working in Australia, who worked for the UK NHS before moving to Australia... so I hope I am in the right place!

Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PH89VZF

It's only a very short survey and won't take more than 5 minutes. It would be amazing if you could take part and forward it to anyone else you know from the UK. Thanks so much in advance :)

Kind regards

Anastasia

Hiya, Perth we are hoping to settle, oh undertakin skype interview wed already had telephone interview. Hopfully it wont be too long to fine out if he is successfull all fingers and toes crossed. Have you applied to Aphra yet and have you got family? Its a massive decision thats all we are thinking about ha. Will find a few more grey hairs after this process I tell you.

Hiya, I applied for the access to health course at my local college which was full time and 1 year there were also 2 year and evening classes which do take longer. I was also working 30 hours in a nursing home. This would be an excellent start to kicking off a new career as it would give you insight into the caring field and gives you experience to add to cv.

I like you was a mature student and applied to univercity at the grand age of 34 ha. Qualified in 2007 and currently working as a psychiatric nurse in my local area. I love my job and it has opened many doors to which in the process of undertaking the move to OZ. Hope this helps. Is Oz your future plan?

Thank you for replying, The access to nurse course on the above link means i can do it from home. Unfortunately i cant give up my job for at least 2 years due to commitments, so thought i could do this course in the meantime, then i can quit my admin job and apply to uni to do the nursing course full time.

Yes Australia is where i want to be. It is going to be a few years, but its all about the planning. x

Hi Sarah,

Thankyou so much for getting back, sorry i have taken so long to reply, that really helps, my current cummute is around 35 mins on a good day so i dont mind driving into work as long as the hospital is right for me, the ED is all i have known for the last 10 years so wouldnt really want to start anything new, i work as a sister on a band 6 but what level would i expect to go in at, where do you think i would start? also how old are your children did they settle in ok when you arrived? we have looked at Baldivis lately as quite a few people we have spoken to have said its a really lovely place to live so we are going to check it out in may. Ooh i am getting really excited now the last 2 years have been the longest ever!! cant believe we actually activating!! just need the family on board now!

Thanks again

Take care

Hayley x

To Willie G.

Hello, I hope your plans are going well. The majority of Nurses here are the same age as your wife. Oz would be lucky to have such a highly qualified Nurse .

Shift times are 7am -3pm , 2pm -10pm . 7 -7PM .I really wish they were 8am starts much more civilised like back home. Best of luck with all Mgt

Hi all.

just a wee question to those in the know, I'm lookin to move to Oz with hopefully my wife in the very near future, I'm looking into my work here hopefully sponsoring me n gettin me a transfer to the same company in Oz, so fingers are crossed on that one.

my main question/query is that my wife is a nurse with the NHS, has been for over 15 years now (she's actually the sister in her Dept now) but the concern is that she's slightly older than me, she's 49, do you guys think in all honesty she would still get a job in Oz if/when we move across there....I know there's a cut off age for skilled migrants but I still reckon (maybe I'm bein naive/too hopeful) that she would get a job over in Oz?

mant advice/opinions/feedback once again would be most welcome

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Willie G

Hello Willie G, we're in a similar position to yourselves but both of us are nurses, we're hoping to go out now on a employer sponsored visa (don't ask) but dh will still be the main applicant as i'm also a little older. I too am planning to work and have applied to AHPRA, like Margaret says they should be happy to have us :biggrin:

Archived