Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi I am a paediatric nurse in Lancashire qualified in 2008. Just in the process of gaining my Australian registration. Have already received a job opportunity at Sydney Children's hospital, and they are sponsoring me and my boyfriend. If anyone has any information on sponsorship I'd be truly grateful. The hospital states they cannot nominate us until I have received my registration, just wondering what this entails and if like the visas I will require medicals?

Many Thanks

Katie

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi I am a paediatric nurse in Lancashire qualified in 2008. Just in the process of gaining my Australian registration. Have already received a job opportunity at Sydney Children's hospital, and they are sponsoring me and my boyfriend. If anyone has any information on sponsorship I'd be truly grateful. The hospital states they cannot nominate us until I have received my registration, just wondering what this entails and if like the visas I will require medicals?

Many Thanks

Katie

Hi Katie,

As far as I know they are right. Until u get Ahpra eligibility letter Immigration won't approve the nomination. But its good that you have been already offered a job so just need to wait for AHPRA eligibility letter. Have you applied for nursing registration. Looking at the others experience with Ahpra please be advised to submit all the supporting documents with your registration application and make sure that photocopies are signed by either notary or JP (not by solicitor).

Hope this helps.

.....Mansawant

Guest Frugalsar
Hiii,

I am a BAND 5 nurse in the UK and have been a nurse for 15 months, I have started applying for jobs in Brisbane as I now have my registration to practice nursing in Australia (finally!!!) and just wanted to check what grade I am in Oz if I am Band 5 in the UK. I'm worried i'm looking at the wrong jobs so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirst :) xx

Hi, I am a Band 5 with 13 months experience here, I've just been offered a job in perth and they've told me I'll be a Level 1.2 as I am in my second year of nursing and have had 1 increment and that my salary will be $57841 this seems to be right with the times 2.5 of your UK salary rule that people on here have said to aim for.

Guest sunilisa

Hi,

I moved to Brisbane 1 year ago (second person on my husbands 457 visa). We have decided to stay permanently and my Husbands job will sponsor him.

I qualified as a nurse in the UK in 1995 RN (adult) with Diploma, but havent practiced since 2003 as had a break to raise my children. My Registration lapsed in 2005.

I would like to recommence my nursing career but not sure if they would allow me to do a Return to Nursing course in Aus if qualified in UK.

Any idea where to start?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lisa.x

Oh wow, that's great Rachall!!!!!!!! Congrats. How long has it all took you since sending first stuff off? Jo x

Thanks Jo, I submitted my AHPRA registration end of June, received letter of Eligibility 7 september, 457 was applied for 26 september, medical 10 October and visa granted 17 october. So just under 4 months. Mind you I did get my job offer back in March and what with one thing and another it took 3 months to get all the evidence for AHPRA, police checks etc. Just want to off load house now and go.

Rachel x

well i gave her my passport ( it had visa in it) and a copy of visa ( she didnt want it) and a bank statement with my australian address on and my ahpra eligibility letter and the fee.. i said do you want my offer of employment she said its up to you.. i asked if you had to have it to get registration she said no but I gave her mine anyway... i know what others have said on here but I can only give you my experience. marion

Thank you for the info.

Guest flinty31

Hi again Rachall, can I just ask, where can I find the full list of documents I need for AHPRA and who did you get to certify all your copies etc? Thanks Jo xx

Hi, could you tell me how long your AHPRA took? Also who did you get to certify your documents? Thanks for your help!

Hi I sent off my application to Adelaide on 20/08/2012. Rang AHPRA on 10/10/2012 as I hadn't heard anything and recieved eligibility on 12/10/2012. I used a public notary called Colin Rowe who is based in Manchester to certify my documents. Cost £125 for 15 documents. How far along are you with your application.

Guest Andrea Molinaro

hi i'm andrea from italy. i'm in australia with a student visa at the moment. i would like to study here in a tafe in Nursing enrolled division 2...anyone know if is easy later to find a sponsor? thanks

hi i'm andrea from italy. i'm in australia with a student visa at the moment. i would like to study here in a tafe in Nursing enrolled division 2...anyone know if is easy later to find a sponsor? thanks

Andrea I've not heard of anyone getting sponsored to undertake a nursing course. Have you spoken to the TAFE that runs the course? Most people who are sponsored have a skill/profession already.

Good luck, I hope you get a definitive answer soon. :biggrin:

Hi again Rachall, can I just ask, where can I find the full list of documents I need for AHPRA and who did you get to certify all your copies etc? Thanks Jo xx

Hi Jo

I sent off certified copies of:

Continued professional development

C.V

Statement of employment (references )

Professional references

All my training certificates to support CPD

Passport

Full birth certificate

Nhs medical card

Both photo and paper driving license

Gcse, a level & diploma certificates

Bank statement and bank card

Current statement of entry from the nmc

I also sent my letter of offer as I'm being sponsored. These documents MUST be certified by a Notary Public and not a solicitor. I would advise shopping around as they do vary significantly in cost.

Hope that helps, just pm me if you need an extra help.

X

Guest flinty31

Thanks so much for the list Rachall. I checked on the AHPRA site and started to make a list of he stuff in need to start getting together. Getting my secondary education may be a stumbling block as it was 20 yrs ago!!!! Lol I am going to get Christmas out of the way then full steam ahead. Just can't decide if I want to sit the IELTS to be able to get a residence visa!! Jo xx

Thanks so much for the list Rachall. I checked on the AHPRA site and started to make a list of he stuff in need to start getting together. Getting my secondary education may be a stumbling block as it was 20 yrs ago!!!! Lol I am going to get Christmas out of the way then full steam ahead. Just can't decide if I want to sit the IELTS to be able to get a residence visa!! Jo xx[/quote

Hi Jo

I left school over 20yrs ago (although I can't quite believe it) luckily I kept hold of my o level certificates, but I think that if you can get a letter from the school to confirm that you were taught and assessed in English then it will be accepted as the most important certificate is your nursing one.

I didn't have a plan for the type of visa I wanted, I just uploaded my c.v to a website and within a week I been contacted for a job, next thing I know is a Skype interview had been arranged and then I had a job offer with sponsorship. They will however sponsor me for pr after a couple of years if both parties are happy.

Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing xx

Hi, we have recently been assigned a case officer after a 4 year wait and in that time some things have changed, the application is in my name with my occupation in IT however since it looked like it was and has been a long wait my wife decided to start a nursing course here in the UK. She is currently in her 3rd year and will qualify as a RGN in September next year, this brings about a few questions which I'm hoping some qualified nurses maybe able to help with.

1) Once she gets her NHS pin and qualifies, what does she need to do in order to work in Oz as a nurse? I've read APHRA mentioned here but haven't looked into that yet but we will do shortly.

2) Are Oz employers looking for nurses with some experience, she had been a care assistant for several years prior to starting the course and has worked part time as a care assistant throughout her course. So I guess the question is, are we better staying in the UK for a year after she qualifies so she has a better chance of employment in Oz or does it really matter?

3) How does it compare being a nurse in Oz to the UK? She is particularily interested in community nursing, pallative care or perhaps A&E.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Hi Rob

Wifey will need at least 2 yrs post registered experience before oz will be interested unless she applies for a 1 yr graduate program but then you would need to work as well other wise you will struggle. Community work is very difficult to get into and there is not much advertised in the way of palliative work. Can't say how it compares as I haven't got there yet. Good luck.

Thanks Rachall, we are going over on my occupation, which is in IT and I'll have a good chance of transferring with my current employer so I'll definitely be working but are you you saying she will have very little chance of gaining employment in Oz as a newly qualified nurse? That's a bit of a shock really, I though she may need some experience but I thought Oz held the British nursing qualification quite highly hence it wouldnt be much different starting off a newly qualified nurse either here or there?

Hi Rob

Newly qualified nurses in oz do a 1yr post graduate course, hence the option for your wife. For her to be sought after as a UK qualified nurse she will need the experience as their nursing degree is arranged differently to ours. From what I know they have far less practice experience during the initial degree.

Rachel

Thanks Rachall, we are going over on my occupation, which is in IT and I'll have a good chance of transferring with my current employer so I'll definitely be working but are you you saying she will have very little chance of gaining employment in Oz as a newly qualified nurse? That's a bit of a shock really, I though she may need some experience but I thought Oz held the British nursing qualification quite highly hence it wouldnt be much different starting off a newly qualified nurse either here or there?

The SE corner of Qld can't find places for some of it's own new grads atm. Don't know about the rest of Oz though.

Hi there folks

My husband is a RMN currently in a band 6 job and in his 5th year post grad. Does anyone know what grade and level of job he should be looking to apply for in NSW?

Also if anyone has any advice whether it is better to seek work in private hospitals vs gov health hospitals that would be great. He got his AHPRA eligibility letter last week - whoop whoop!! So now on to the big job hunt...

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, there,

I got qualifications in nursing, and they are equivalent to australian of enrolled nurse.I have read that ahpra requires 6 months ful paid work in last 5 years before application.So in my case is more than 5 years is 6 years.What happens now?Can ahpra refuse the positive otcome of registration?

Archived