Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi All

Just a quick update - I've been asked to book my medical!!!! So just wanted to say a big thank you for all the help so far getting through the AHPRA process.

Just out of interest, how long on average did you all wait from your medical to your visa being granted, I'm going on a 457

:wubclub:

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Gordon from what ive read on here and other sites is that Ozzies are so laid back theyre almost horizontal and sometimes need to be 'pestered' to get things moving. have you contacted them since interview? Good luck

Nicola

got an e-mail back nicola. basically offering me a job, still to work out exactly what the position is and wage but should be atleast $65000 pa. things are looking up, just need to make sure i get the family and i over before christmas now. awww the stressers of life. still very happy to have things moving forward,

what situation are you in now,

Gordon

Hi everyone

I am new to PIO I too am a nurse with only 9 months experience to date. I am currently doing lots of research into how much everything will cost e.g. application to AHPRA, medicals etc, emailing LOADS of migration agents and started saving lol!!! Any help would be much appreciated! xxx

Hi Gordon

Firstly thank you for adding my request :cute:

I would like a visa with PR so my partner can apply to Australian police forces (he cannot do this without PR). Not sure yet on which part we plan on moving to, depends more on where my partner can get work as a PC

im not sure if he would need PR or not, is the police on the skill shortlist ? if it is yous can go on a 457 sponsored for 4 years during that time you can apply for PR. if your a nurse you will get a 457 and dont worry about only having 9 month experience because AHPRA takes months so you will have a good 1 1/2 years experience before your in a position to actually leave. i started my application in jan this year and thus far im still about 8 weeks away from going

Police is not on the skill shortlist. i wouldnt really want to go on a 457 visa as if you lose your job you have to find another within 28 days otherwise you cannot stay in Oz right? Ive just come off the phone from a migration expert she reckons its about 5.5k for it all thats not including flights etc. I only have 1k in savings so need to start saving lots before i can proceed with anything further :confused: i knew it was going to be expensive but this agent reckons that you need to have £30k between you both in either savings or assets, so we need to get saving

Watch carefully the posts highliting the nightmare scenarios relating to 457's. In many cases, the security of having a job to come to, and the promises of sponsorship once you take up a 457 aren't all they're cracked up to be. I'd sooner gamble on my skillbase and a PR anyday..........................even in this climate. Ask yourself why most sponsorships (in fact nearly all) are in the private sector?......................possibly because they can't attract those who live here into their employ? That's not to say that the job (457) won't suit a particular person who is suited to those conditions, but,....................if you're an ex NHS employee (who was there by choice), I doubt it,....................Don't sacrifice principles for a visa...............if you're principled, you'll regret it.................and...................I'm not inferring that those employed in the private sector aren't principled or that their personal caring is dubious...................they're just "governed" by profit...............whether they appreciate it or not, and despite that, it is not to say that private health care is the worse for it..............I, as an individual, just believe it is.

Hi Gordon, where are you going to in oz? We're from Blantyre and hoping to be in Darwin by Christmas.

We're also RMN's with nearly 30 years experience. Will only believe we're going when we get to the 'booking

flights' stage. We did everything the wrong way round...got offered jobs in March then started the process

of applying to AHPRA which we only just recently got. Hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

Claire

got an e-mail back nicola. basically offering me a job, still to work out exactly what the position is and wage but should be atleast $65000 pa. things are looking up, just need to make sure i get the family and i over before christmas now. awww the stressers of life. still very happy to have things moving forward,

what situation are you in now,

Gordon

Just about to submit skills assessment, just waiting for professional reference. Not intending on going till Aug 2013 so hopefully plenty time to get sorted :biggrin:

Hi Gordon, where are you going to in oz? We're from Blantyre and hoping to be in Darwin by Christmas.

We're also RMN's with nearly 30 years experience. Will only believe we're going when we get to the 'booking

flights' stage. We did everything the wrong way round...got offered jobs in March then started the process

of applying to AHPRA which we only just recently got. Hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

Claire

were looking at brisbane at the moment and it both sounds and looks good so far. i did look at darwin but it just looked so expencive in comparison to everywhere else. AHPRA was a nightmare. im sure your experience is the same. tho i wish i had found a job sooner than i did, typical recruitment company advice, looking after their own interests and not mine, still i want to be there by christmas aswell. good luck

Hi all, just thought Id type up my story so far its been a long wait...

July 2011 we decided to move to Oz ( me , husband and 2 kids), met up with a ruthless migration agent who cutting a long story short ripped us off £1000 and to date ignores our calls!!

Then we changed agency where I was told to sit an academic IELTS exam (horrible) then I had my skills assessed with ANMAC this took about 3 months to get, then I was told I needed to score 8 in all areas of the IELTS and on the reading exam I scored 7.5 gutted! So decided to do the sponsored 457 route. It has been a real long drawn out process and I haven't enjoyed it one bit!! In march 2012 I attended a seminar at Australia house in London where I met prospective nursing agencies who all promised the world and I handed my Cv out to them all but they all said that I would need my AHPRA registration first so end of April I sent off my application to the Brisbane office ( this was where I intended to live) this was a big mistake and took over 5 months to receive! they were very unhelpful on the phone and didnt bother to tell me they needed further documents until 3 months had passed! In the meantime I had many agencies in contact with me but they all said the same thing really in that sponsorship was very hard to find in Brisbane (I'm a Midwife) so after many weeks we changed our minds and decided to try NSW, I also changed agencies and went with ELMVIA Healthcare recruitment I have to say that they have been fantastic and found me interviews in places that we actually wanted to live as other agencies could only get me sponsorship in the middle of nowhere! in August I had an interview for a private hospital in NSW and the job appears to be fab, completely different to what I'm used to here with the NHS and I cant wait! we applied for the 457 visa on the 15th September and had already had the medicals done on the 1st September as my husband has a medical issue and we assumed they would be referred which they were, on the 24th Sept the medicals now say finalised and that's it we are now waiting for the visa to be granted, I have to say to everyone that moving to Australia is not a quick thing and also a very expensive thing to do so be sure you want to go, as for me I cant wait to go we have sold our house and I resigned today with a clause that if my visa wasn't granted I would withdraw my resignation! It has cost thousands but I know it will be worth it in the end. We have been led up the garden path and back but thank god for Elmvia recruitment as they have put me back on the straight and narrow and actually delivered what they promised! Fingers crossed that all will be well and the visa will be granted any day now!!

My partner and i had an email today stating that WAPOL had received his application for PC at 9.20am Oz time. I am trying not to get too excited but i cannot help it! If he is successful then he will be going to WA between june-october 2013 and i im hoping i will be able to join him as his de facto partner as we live together. Too excited!!!! Will be massively disappointed if he doesnt get in! If he didnt get in then he can always come over with me though on my visa (when i decide to apply) this would just be better as he wants to stay in the force and you have to have PR to apply to Oz forces without a UK recruitment drive

Guest flinty31

Hi everyone' I'm Jo and I am a community psychiatric nurse currently living in Cumbria and hoping to relocate to Perth with my hubby Dave and 3 sons aged 16, 7 & 2. Everything is so overwhelming at starting the process to be able to emigrate!!!! I have getting advice from someone I trained with and she already lives in Adelaide. I finally received a response from AHPRA today with guidelines, application form etc. Wouldn't mind but I've just paid £95 to the emigration group to assist me with visa etc only to be gold I would HAVE to sit the English language test whereas my friend said she didn't have to. She simply got proof of her education and nursing qualification. The agent I have been dealing with says I have to do the English test to be able to get enough points........oh I'm so confused :( I wold welcome any advice help that anyone can give us :) xx

Hi All

OMG today is the day of my medical!! Will be driving up to Birmingham at lunch time - have tried to be good, not had wine for over a week (don't smoke) and watched my diet, still not sure what they will make of my BMI & small lungs!! This is the final hurdle [apart from trying to sell the house :mad: ] Hopefully it wont take too long to upload my medicals and then I can try an offload the old homestead and fly off into new pastures, so keeeping everything crossed.

Guest flinty31

Hi Rachall, are there strict implications with the Medicals? I unfortunately smoke and and desperately trying to stop to help the medical situ. Hubby and middle son have eczema and asthma. Are they very strict with certain things? Thanks, Jo x

Hi Rachall, are there strict implications with the Medicals? I unfortunately smoke and and desperately trying to stop to help the medical situ. Hubby and middle son have eczema and asthma. Are they very strict with certain things? Thanks, Jo x

Hi Jo

I can't speak for the implications regarding your husband and son. I am going on a 457 and as the nurse, I'm the only one required to have a medical (fortunately rest of family fit & well), I do know that they do a chest x-ray for TB, blood tests for HIV, Hep B&C and a BMI, plus a general medical examination. Judging by some of the posts on here in regard to the medicals, I think they are looking out for infectious disease and any long term conditons that are likely to be costly to the healthcare system. Hope that helps, will let you know how it goes.

Rachel x

Archived