Why is Perth so Boring, Expensive?

StevieF8

Fish and chips can be $35 easily in a pub..but you can get certain deals. I couldn't believe fish and chips in Perth at a very ordinary cafe were $19 50 ..very ordinary Hake at that. That was 2010 after a prolonged stay living in Central London where Cod and Chips went for GBP 4.50.

You can pay £10-£15 in pubs in the uk which is roughly $20-$25 in oz. when i finally get there i will be doubling my current salary and i'm over an hour to the closest beach which is Weston super mare. I know i'm not moving to Perth but will be going and spending a fair bit of time there, and maybe one day look to retire there.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest17301

Stranded! Lol, id be disappointed and surprised if she stayed put! Hey she'll be following us! Lifes too short to spend it all in one place!

Fish and chips can be $35 easily in a pub..but you can get certain deals. I couldn't believe fish and chips in Perth at a very ordinary cafe were $19 50 ..very ordinary Hake at that. That was 2010 after a prolonged stay living in Central London where Cod and Chips went for GBP 4.50.

You can get ripped off everywhere.....

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/guy-ritchies-pub-sells-fish-and-chips-for-75-6490935.html

You can pay £10-£15 in pubs in the uk which is roughly $20-$25 in oz. when i finally get there i will be doubling my current salary and i'm over an hour to the closest beach which is Weston super mare. I know i'm not moving to Perth but will be going and spending a fair bit of time there, and maybe one day look to retire there.

Well I do hope it's well excess of $200,000 a year....but saying beach followed by Weston super Mare.. nuff said....lol.you may as well through caution to the wind and give it a whirl.....lol.....

That was tongue in cheek as I'm sure you understood. Another poster had difficulty living in Perth on $220,000 a year but a family was involved. On your own will be much easier except if your out every night.....that is expensive.......

£220,000 a year i would be blinking ecstatic with that amount and there will be 5 of us....

On Friday Night hubby and I plus 3 friends went out into the City which was buzzing I have to say. We called into Carnigies to eat - really reasonably priced menu although drinks were on the expensive side and 2 drinks each almost doubled our bill. After dinner - off to His Majesties Theatre to watch the Mouse Trap - what a beautiful theatre that is and if you get chance do go. On our way to get the train home still lots of people out and about, the bars looked full and the City looked far from boring, we were laughing about being Oldies as we were going home and the 'youngsters' were just getting off the train to start their night.

My friends just had a night out at Mandurah and said they had been on a bar crawl of Mandurah, someone jumped in and said I didnt realise there were that many bars in Mandurah. people just dont look around. Honestly I they have been here months and gone to Mandurah and never gone over to Mandurah Quay, or looked further than about a 1k around where they had parked the car. Get out walk or cycle, thats my tip, you'll see much more.

I think it also comes down to where people choose to live in a city. If you want urban buzz and you choose a smaller, more outdoor, good weather, type city then it might be better to compromise on house size and live as inner city as you can so that you might get enough urban buzz to keep you at the least partially satisfied.

If you thrive off urban buzz and you choose an city with an outdoor emphasis and then choose a far flung quiet estate just because you love the house you might have made a mistake.

I mean Perth may have been on the dull side but at least we had a definate price advantage over Sydney and Melbourne, which had big city lifestyles but at a price. Suddenly Perth is up there with the big boys in price but the preception of dullness remains.

Huh?? Price advantage over Melbourne - when was that???

Edited by dxboz

WE shall..I wish you the best on that ....but have seen all to many move away and leave the parents stranded in old age here......guess I'm one of them myself in a way......

That happens the world over though don't you think. I left home at 18 to move to London leaving Lancashire a dim and distant memory. Many others were the same. The only difference is distance.

Guest JK2510

One thing to remember that our salaries are better than in the uk....last night OH posted on FB about the cost of a pint in Hampshire,uk.....£3.50 ish...do uk hourly salary he could buy 3 pints and have small change...in Perth $9 ish...he can buy 4 pints and have a little change..but here he gets the lovely sunny days,lovely views all thrown in for nothing. I really don't think Perth is expensive...yes costs have risen but that's anywhere in the world.

Edited by JK2510

On Friday Night hubby and I plus 3 friends went out into the City which was buzzing I have to say. We called into Carnigies to eat - really reasonably priced menu although drinks were on the expensive side and 2 drinks each almost doubled our bill. After dinner - off to His Majesties Theatre to watch the Mouse Trap - what a beautiful theatre that is and if you get chance do go. On our way to get the train home still lots of people out and about, the bars looked full and the City looked far from boring, we were laughing about being Oldies as we were going home and the 'youngsters' were just getting off the train to start their night.

Went to His Majesty's Theatre on Wednesday to see the Mousetrap also, lovely evening, lovely theatre.

We paid $11.50 for a pint on Friday night

I find that very strange, does that include some sort of idiot tax? My local in Sydney charges $4.20 for a schooner of coopers which is 3/4 pint. In theory a pint should cost me about $5.60, I can't think of any sane reason why they could get away with charging you double the price unless people are stupid enough to pay it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345339823.370899.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345339823.370899.jpg

Small world as I was there Friday as well but for lunch. The lunch specials there are good value $16 with a small beer included. Friday is the night in town of course. As you suggest the youngsters are by far the dominent....

Edited by flag of convenience

I mean Perth may have been on the dull side but at least we had a definate price advantage over Sydney and Melbourne, which had big city lifestyles but at a price. Suddenly Perth is up there with the big boys in price but the preception of dullness remains.

Huh?? Price advantage over Melbourne - when was that???

Perth was cheaper than Melbourne until the early 00s......I was looking to purchase houses in 00 and $150-$175,000 was pretty much the norn in close inner suburbs. A two bedroom flat newly decorated in small complex,pool was going for $72,000 in 99...just a stroll to the city. Salvation Army beat me to buying it. The year before a smaller ground floor flat went for $35,000...owner wanted quick sale as was returning to Switzerland. Perth was cheap as chips in real estate parlance...

That happens the world over though don't you think. I left home at 18 to move to London leaving Lancashire a dim and distant memory. Many others were the same. The only difference is distance.

Of course they leave home but moving from Lancs to London hardly equates a move to the other side of the world,although to some close knit families it probably feels that way. I know the concern show parents have when their kids move to the bright lights of London......

No another difference being I feel is for reasons I can never fully fathom is parents move down under for their kids future. When/if the kids do move on and let's face it a whole lot of areas of endeavour there are far better prospects overseas or at least over east...and the parents in age are left alone. I've seen it not a few times. But then I remember we discussed this before.