Why is Perth so Boring, Expensive?

StevieF8

Do you know what, Perth is bloomin boring, I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings as there really is nothing at all to do. I think everything is absolutely extortianate and over priced. Dont come here, please because the vast majority of us are trying desperatley hard to get out of here, just counting the days so we can get out of this hell hole! The weather is rank, the jobs are non existant the bars clubs and restaurants are all taking the mickey out of us unsuspecting Poms and everybody hates us. Stay away if you value your sanity.

:rolleyes: Lets just keep this bit of paradise to ourselves :biggrin:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest17301
I've just taken my parents out for a drink, we had a small bottle of beer, a small glass of wine and a tiny Baileys and I paid $27... sorry, but that's outrageous. Just as well we hardly ever go out drinking.

Don't be sorry! Nobody could doubt those prices are ridiculous!

Do you know what, Perth is bloomin boring, I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings as there really is nothing at all to do. I think everything is absolutely extortianate and over priced. Dont come here, please because the vast majority of us are trying desperatley hard to get out of here, just counting the days so we can get out of this hell hole! The weather is rank, the jobs are non existant the bars clubs and restaurants are all taking the mickey out of us unsuspecting Poms and everybody hates us. Stay away if you value your sanity.

where do i sign up!? Im not saying that some things in WA or even oz in general arent a rip off but prices are increasing everywhere, at least most people have higher wages over there that helps a bit. A lot of people are struggling over here - prices are increasing and no wage rises. I've not long started a job - only temporary for the xmas rush (already!) because thats all I could get at the moment and thats them started to say that they're in trouble and not making as much money. The fulltime employees were due a wage rise which doesnt look like its happening now.

So if i get the chance i think i'll sign up to be bored and ripped off in perth for a few years! got space for two more moaning poms? :biggrin:

Guinness and Kilkenny $7 in my local , go to the tourist places Hillary's and you get goosed , the breakwater before they moved it and made it poncy was about 8 or 9 a pint with snap reasonable they moved it across the harbor made it all posh and poncy , result cheapest drink 11 a pint . It's the in place for the in crowd , who don't give a rats arse what price they pay

No getting away from it, some people love it....but the facts are...some don't, views from both sides are best...agree?

Guest guest17301

We do seem to see bar prices quoted here a lot...I seem to remember feeling massively ripped off at clubs in the UK paying some ridiculous amount for a watered down coke in some places...other drinks like wine..very expensive...its not specific to Perth imo

Guest guest17301
No getting away from it, some people love it....but the facts are...some don't, views from both sides are best...agree?

Agreed wholeheartedly but when prices quoted are from corner shops/expensive bars etc it doesnt exactly represent average prices paid by average people and that can scare off potential migrants or worry them needlessly.

We do seem to see bar prices quoted here a lot...I seem to remember feeling massively ripped off at clubs in the UK paying some ridiculous amount for a watered down coke in some places...other drinks like wine..very expensive...its not specific to Perth imo

It's the general average price of beer that gets people down Fiona, you can find a right dive for cheaper beer but when you want to sit in a nice bar the prices are silly.

Guest guest17301
It's the general average price of beer that gets people down Fiona, you can find a right dive for cheaper beer but when you want to sit in a nice bar the prices are silly.

Same in the UK hun, for sure

exactly, some of the bars in glasgow are a complete rip off. i saw one of daves mates on facebook saying he wasnt going to one of them because it was something like £4.50 for a vodka. I remember paying around that for a vodka in a bar in sauchiehall street, i just didnt know at the time it was known for being expensive because it was my first night out in glasgow :cry:

Tracey the national minimum wage here is $15.96 per hour thats the very minimum that they can pay you, not a bad wage even for a very basic job. Suddenly that $7 glass of wine when you go out doesnt sound so bad. My OH drinks Aussie beers, and we usually get imports when they are on offer, which happens a lot, just shopping around perhaps a lot more than I did in the UK.

Guest guest17301

That's right Stacey. I suppose as a couple with kids we don't go out to bars very often so don't feel that pinch but one good way around it is when you go out to nice restaurants and can BYO, saves a packet! I prefer meals out with drinks pre during and after now as a night out rather than propping up the bar and pretending to be having a good time in a pub/club....but then I am getting a little older now...booorrriiingggg....just like Perth!:wink:

Guest guest17301
It's not though Fiona, you can sit in lovely old pubs where a pint is not to bad in price.

But we dont have that here so you cant compare like for like...

Tracey the national minimum wage here is $15.96 per hour thats the very minimum that they can pay you, not a bad wage even for a very basic job. Suddenly that $7 glass of wine when you go out doesnt sound so bad. My OH drinks Aussie beers, and we usually get imports when they are on offer, which happens a lot, just shopping around perhaps a lot more than I did in the UK.

not too bad, i've just been trying to calculate how many hours id need to work to pay things rather than converting it back to pounds, its still quite hard to stop yourself sometimes though. Think people probably just need to look out for bargains and realise theyre not going to be able to walk into tesco or asda and get everything they want in the one place really cheap.

Bring on the aussie wine!

Guest guest17301

It also depends how much you drink too...every time I go out in Perth or Leederville/Joondalup I've never spent more than $50 I used to take 30 pounds for a night out in the UK.

We have some gorgeous bars in Mandurah sit and watch the dolphins playing in the water, hmmmm do you know what, Id pay more for my glass of fiz with that view, also many places do happy hour, on Fridays, just search for the bargains they are there. The Lucky Shag in Perth ah what a gorgeous view, all relative to the prices you pay. We have some Taverns near us which are proper "Aussie" cheap as chips, Tab ( betting shop) included, not for everyone but the longer Im here the more they grow on me.:jimlad:

That's right Stacey. I suppose as a couple with kids we don't go out to bars very often so don't feel that pinch but one good way around it is when you go out to nice restaurants and can BYO, saves a packet! I prefer meals out with drinks pre during and after now as a night out rather than propping up the bar and pretending to be having a good time in a pub/club....but then I am getting a little older now...booorrriiingggg....just like Perth!:wink:

Theres one place where i live thats started BYO beer and wine, its a good idea! i had never really heard of it untill i came on here and also saw my dads cousins in melbourne talking about it on FB. I dont go out drinking loads either so im not too bothered about the prices, im sure you locals will show me the good places if i come over :tongue:

Guest guest17301

We sure will Stace....another great night out is having a summer outdoor bbq at any of the parks/reserves/beaches, make your hubby drive and you get leathered! Bonus!

Guest guest17301

I suppose the point is dont come to Perth is going out drinking in bars features heavily in your life..it IS expensive...the alternatives for fun nights out are many and varied and often cost no more than whatever you bring along....

if you like a vibrant clubbing city this ain't the place.

That is always your argument against Perth, "that it's not a vibrant clubbing city", but there are more pubs & clubs in Perth than in Stratford

Did you used to live in London, New York, Las Vegas, Ibiza, Ayia Napa or something....you always go on about drinking real ale in country pubs in and around Stratford,

I'm yet to once see a post from you about just getting back from an all nighter at Cream or Space, so why do you always use that in your argument against Perth

Edited by StevieF8
sic

We sure will Stace....another great night out is having a summer outdoor bbq at any of the parks/reserves/beaches, make your hubby drive and you get leathered! Bonus!

not hubby yet lol but thats my next mission :laugh: he'll be away a lot of the time if we move so i'll need to find a taxi driver, are the taxis another rip off? :biggrin:

Que sera sera - a drink watching dolphins sounds amazing, i'd def pay a bit extra for that!