Why is Perth so Boring, Expensive?

StevieF8

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that very strange, does that include some sort of idiot tax? My local in Sydney charges $4.20 for a schooner of coopers which is 3/4 pint. In theory a pint should cost me about $5.60, I can't think of any sane reason why they could get away with charging you double the price unless people are stupid enough to pay it.

[ATTACH]16211[/ATTACH]

RSL clubs are cheap. Even in WA I used to get a pint for something approaching half the $12 you pay in Cental Perth...bit of a hike in the burbs though and only went there when worked nearby.....

Guest guest17301

You know when you used to go to the working mens club and get a round in for under a tenner then go to the city wine bar and paid at least double??? Ring any bells...at least compare like for like folks, its just common sense....

Guest guest17301
Drinking wine for such a price your taste buds are likely distorted. Probably metho and water.....but enjoy.....lol

I used to drink the cleanskins, they can be very good, just have to find one you like. Dan Murphys are great same bottle at least $3 cheaper than in liquorland or bws. I buy 6 bottles for around $40

Guest JK2510
I used to drink the cleanskins, they can be very good, just have to find one you like. Dan Murphys are great same bottle at least $3 cheaper than in liquorland or bws. I buy 6 bottles for around $40

I see signs for the bottle shop in Kingsley whilst sat at the traffic lights....6 bottles for $30...have you tried there?

Guest guest17301
I see signs for the bottle shop in Kingsley whilst sat at the traffic lights....6 bottles for $30...have you tried there?

Yes, they're nice and friendly in here and always have several bottles open for try before you buy, if you want to taste one that's not currently open they will open for you. The very cheap ones are better than the same priced ones from liquorland imo.

I find that very strange, does that include some sort of idiot tax? My local in Sydney charges $4.20 for a schooner of coopers which is 3/4 pint. In theory a pint should cost me about $5.60, I can't think of any sane reason why they could get away with charging you double the price unless people are stupid enough to pay it.

[ATTACH]16211[/ATTACH]

Well i'm hoping you aren't calling me an idiot and I didn't think I would need to show you proof - so I didn't save the receipt lol. (I don't usually fabricate stories so you can take it as gospel that's what was paid ..... $7 for a glass of sparkling wine and $11 for a pint of Kilnenny if you're interested in the itemised bill). I thought I was reasonable sane, but I do work in Mental health and where better to hide a tree than in a forrest?

Edited by ali

Guest JK2510

OH has paid $11 for Kilkenny in the woodvale tavern....us people in Perth obviously pay a mining tax....:laugh:

Ive never met Ali but TBH has never come across as stupid and daft on this forum.:dull:

You know when you used to go to the working mens club and get a round in for under a tenner then go to the city wine bar and paid at least double??? Ring any bells...at least compare like for like folks, its just common sense....

Yeah, not a fair comparison, is it? Aussie beer in an RSL in the outer 'burbs, versus an imported beer in something that sounds like a restaurant or cafe/bar type thing

In proper pubs in Sydney, schooners of Aussie beer are $5-$6 IME virtually everywhere (cheapest the VB/New/Carlton/Blonde crud, most expensive stuff like Little Creatures. The quoted Coopers is usually $5.20-$5.50). If somewhere sells pints then they are $8-$9. I was drinking pints of Coopers at the top end of that on Friday, couldn't tell you the exact price as it went straight in the corporate credit card and I didn't pay much attention. That was in a swanky pub/bar place in North Sydney (which is a bit like Docklands in London, so expensive)

:wink:

Wouldn't have a clue about the price of imported beer on draught in Sydney. When in Rome and all that

Well i'm hoping you aren't calling me an idiot and I didn't think I would need to show you proof - so I didn't save the receipt lol. (I don't usually fabricate stories so you can take it as gospel that's what was paid ..... $7 for a glass of sparkling wine and $11 for a pint of Kilnenny if you're interested in the itemised bill). I thought I was reasonable sane, but I do work in Mental health and where better to hide a tree than in a forrest?

No am not personally calling you an idiot but the only reason why you pay $11.50 a pint is because the establishments ask and people are silly enough to pay. These places are laughing behind you back while gouging you with an Idiot tax.

Even in Sydney CBD in a normal Irish pub (not an RSL) a pint of Kilkenny should not set you back more than $8 which I consider expensive.

http://www.pjobriens.com.au/sydney/menus/drink/

There's 88 pints per keg so thats a rort of $308 per keg, maybe it down to transport costs but my feeling is that the establishments charge that because people are stupid enough to pay it.

If everyone refused to pay $11.50 and just pay $8 the establishments would have no other option but accept it, it's the same country FFS they are just using the mining boom to take the piss out of people (and an extra $3.50 per pint it seems)

Yeah you are right it's not like for like, Castle Hill RSL makes Caesars Palace look average. You should be charged more in that establishment than in a normal Pub. It's nothing like a sticky floor working club.

It sort of make it even more of a joke.

No am not personally calling you an idiot but the only reason why you pay $11.50 a pint is because the establishments ask and people are silly enough to pay. These places are laughing behind you back while gouging you with an Idiot tax.

Even in Sydney CBD in a normal Irish pub (not an RSL) a pint of Kilkenny should not set you back more than $8 which I consider expensive.

http://www.pjobriens.com.au/sydney/menus/drink/

There's 88 pints per keg so thats a rort of $308 per keg, maybe it down to transport costs but my feeling is that the establishments charge that because people are stupid enough to pay it.

If everyone refused to pay $11.50 and just pay $8 the establishments would have no other option but accept it, it's the same country FFS they are just using the mining boom to take the piss out of people (and an extra $3.50 per pint it seems)

Agree ... but at the end of the day on a night out you're not going to go without a drink all night. Same in the UK - we used to do a pub crawl ... started off at the cheapest pub in town and prices went steadily more up hill from there. The pub we were in is in the City Centre and even at $11.50 a pint the place was heaving

And why not ... I don't much like fitting into the stereotype that people have of those of us who enjoy living in Perth ... Do you?

I think you put them up to it in the hope of reducing the number of people who move there. Quite honestly the only place I hear people criticising Perth is on here. I have relatives and friends who live there and love it.

I was telling my uncle about some of the comments I read on here - particularly the Perth is boring an expensive ones - his response was that they must be written by boring poor people :laugh:

I arrived in Perth on 3rd November, 1978, and I loved it from the moment I arrived. I would have stayed there if I could have got a job but I moved to Sydney via Adelaide. I've visited a couple times since, but not since 1997. Based upon my experiences in Australia, I doubt whether I would have any problems settling there, or anywhere else in Australia.

You really ave to live in a place for a year or two before you can really form a proper opinion about a place, being in holiday mood does not give a true reflection IMO, Perth is expensive I don't think aantsy one can argue that if they are being honest....boring for some but not for others, if you like your own time fishing or swimming t is ideal, if you like a vibrant clubbing city this ain't the place.

One thing to remember that our salaries are better than in the uk....last night OH posted on FB about the cost of a pint in Hampshire,uk.....£3.50 ish...do uk hourly salary he could buy 3 pints and have small change...in Perth $9 ish...he can buy 4 pints and have a little change..but here he gets the lovely sunny days,lovely views all thrown in for nothing. I really don't think Perth is expensive...yes costs have risen but that's anywhere in the world.

£3.50 a pint :eek: I pay £1.80 fir a pint of riddles in Stratford and at the wacky a pint of cask is £2.45

Of course they leave home but moving from Lancs to London hardly equates a move to the other side of the world,although to some close knit families it probably feels that way. I know the concern show parents have when their kids move to the bright lights of London......

No another difference being I feel is for reasons I can never fully fathom is parents move down under for their kids future. When/if the kids do move on and let's face it a whole lot of areas of endeavour there are far better prospects overseas or at least over east...and the parents in age are left alone. I've seen it not a few times. But then I remember we discussed this before.

My eldest wants to be a psychologist and my youngest a vet, professions which could take them anywhere. My youngest is a triple citizen so the world is truly her oyster. As for feeling stranded, I know I won't feel like that as I have brought my children up to be resilient, confident individuals and they will feel comfortable and have no guilt doing what they please (or going where they please) when they are older. Close knit families struggle obviously, I have often read of mothers who say they won't be able to manage bringing up their kids without the support of their families. I am thankfully not one of those women.

With hindsight and we have lived in Canada, US and here with short stints in Norway and Holland, the hardest move I ever made was the move to London in our little Peugeot 205 diesel with 2 suitcases!! Moving overseas was a walk in the park after that!

Guest guest17301
And why not ... I don't much like fitting into the stereotype that people have of those of us who enjoy living in Perth ... Do you?

I was joking!:cool: No I think its beyond ridiculous...not defensive more like incredulous at peoples assumptions

Edited by guest17301

I've just taken my parents out for a drink, we had a small bottle of beer, a small glass of wine and a tiny Baileys and I paid $27... sorry, but that's outrageous. Just as well we hardly ever go out drinking.

That is frigging outrageous...name and shame the bar.