Why is Perth so Boring, Expensive?

StevieF8

TYPE "Why is Perth so ..." into Google, and the search engine guesses the remainder of the question.

The algorithm is based on most popular search requests.

In Perth's case, the most common question is: "Why is Perth so boring?" The next most popular is: "Why is Perth so expensive?"

"Why is Perth so cold?" and "Why is Perth called the City of Lights?" are also common.

For the state of WA, the most popular questions are about our heat and the size of the state.

But Tourism WA chief executive Stephanie Buckland said Google users were simply typing in the wrong words.

"We recommend people just do a search on Perth instead and they will find the City of Perth, Tourism WA and Experience Perth websites, to name just a few, that list hundreds and hundreds of fantastic things to do and places to see," she said.

"The real question today should be: 'What is wrong with people who still think Perth is boring?' Because it may have been, but it most definitely isn't anymore."

The results for other Australian capital cities were generally more positive than Perth.

Among the most popular questions for Sydney is: "Why is Sydney so popular?" But "Why is Sydney traffic so bad?" is also common.

For Melbourne, the most popular question asked by Google users is: "Why is Melbourne better than Sydney?"

Adelaide's top question, similar to Perth, is: "Why is it so boring?"

Brisbane's is: "Why is it called Brisvegas?"

Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi said she tired of hearing complaints that the state's capital city was boring.

"Some Aussies, sadly, seem a little too happy to always criticise," she said.

"If they feel this, well then why don't they make or be the change they want to be and get up off their lazy behinds instead of just being carping individuals who look for confirmation and justification of their poorly considered views via cyberspace.

"I accept that right now living costs are high and this can make it hard for many to enjoy and engage as much as they may like to, but even back in the Depression ... people would make their own fun and get on with things in a more pro-active way than just giving in to current circumstances."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/why-is-perth-so-boring-expensive/story-e6frg12c-1226453319285

Edited by StevieF8
sic

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People should honestly try looking at other places in Aus!!! We have just had to turn down a job offer in QLD due to the high cost of living. We compared the same rent in Perth and there was no comparison. We could have a 5 bed exec home with a sea view for the same money we were seeing for properties in QLD:mad:.

Perth is a city and a booming one at that and there are tonnes of things to do. If you don't want to stay in the city, jump in the car and head South, Mandurah, Bunbury, beautiful Margaret River. OK for us POMs a trip to Bunbury would seem like an epic adventure, but you gotta get used to the distances in Oz:biggrin:.

Guest guest17301

Have you been on my facebook page? I had grilled fish and chips for $14 I think, the fish was cooked to perfection, beautiful and the homemade coleslaw that came with it delish...we shared it because we're both weightwatching so only $7 each!

Guest guest17301

Perfect day out...too perfect for some...spent just under $100 but we did do the canal cruise..fab...and went out to eat..had we taken a picnic would have had equally amazing day for nothing..

There is no city in OZ like Perth to stir such emotions for and against. Perth has forever been considered somewhat dull perhaps more than boring by a number of folk since I can recall. I think with the masive increases in the cost of living which started to come in around 2003 made the dullness and very conservative values stand out more as the advantages of living in a cheap city where home ownership,warm climate, beaches, in other words the positive aspects to life in Perth somewhat dissipated.

I mean Perth may have been on the dull side but at least we had a definate price advantage over Sydney and Melbourne, which had big city lifestyles but at a price. Suddenly Perth is up there with the big boys in price but the preception of dullness remains.

In Perth now one of the world's more expensive cities but without excitment or wow factor. It caters well for a certain market that a lot of those folk one suspects would be equally happy in any like minded city.

For those wanting something else that a nice house with pool in the burbs that comes with a price these days, Perth may indeed present as numbingly dull......some may say boring. There is probably not a lot that sort of person can change to alter that preception unless they are lucky enough to surround themselves with stimulation.....or if of a certain persuasion go straight to Melbourne or Sydney. Moving between states can be expensive as well.

Perth does it for some but doesn't cut the mustard for quite a large number as well. Can be an expensive mistake to get wrong these days.Best try and get it right first time by looking at needs and desires. Also the life folk are leaving behind. For a lot Perth is more than adequate.

I am surprised that Bogans can afford some of the waterfront properties there.

Not a personal fan of Mandarah ..but not too many bogans on the waterfront...those plenty in Mandarah...and social probs. A number of waterfront properties often have than unlived in look....due to in part how many are owned by absentee landlords living in Singapore or KL ....to rich to even bother renting them out in many cases.

Guest guest17301

Whats dull about hundreds of places to explore? So many that after nearly four years here some have never seen (in a radius of 50k from home) If visiting multiple areas of outstanding natural beauty with wonderful facilities in a not too crowded atmosphere is dull then Perth might not be for you...I honestly dont know what some people want....as a home base Id say its pretty damn perfect...

Guest guest17301

I know where Id rather get ripped off for fish and chips and sit in the sun watching the boats in winter with my overpriced coffee...even my 6 yr old gets it..'this is the life Mummy' he quips whilst on the cruise....I kid you not...

Guest Shell15

out of the mouths of babes eh.. no black and white with kids! Gotta love em.. I hope mine will be saying the same Fiona :angel_happy_face_ha

Could be a lot worse, you could be getting overcharged for things in the uk. I bet it's not that far off for fish and chip's in the uk, places like London. When you take into account exchange rate's a higher wage.

Fish and chips can be $35 easily in a pub..but you can get certain deals. I couldn't believe fish and chips in Perth at a very ordinary cafe were $19 50 ..very ordinary Hake at that. That was 2010 after a prolonged stay living in Central London where Cod and Chips went for GBP 4.50.

Guest Shell15
Hopefully will soon be enjoying being ripped off. See you on the beach with empty pocket's. lol.......... pretty much the same in the uk skint and being robbed by the government.

as long as the sun is shining then it wont seem so bad.. ;)

Edited by Shell15
spelling

I know where Id rather get ripped off for fish and chips and sit in the sun watching the boats in winter with my overpriced coffee...even my 6 yr old gets it..'this is the life Mummy' he quips whilst on the cruise....I kid you not...

Your brain washing does seem to be paying dividends, Fiona. Let's see another ten or twelve years what the kids are saying though......lol

Whats dull about hundreds of places to explore? So many that after nearly four years here some have never seen (in a radius of 50k from home) If visiting multiple areas of outstanding natural beauty with wonderful facilities in a not too crowded atmosphere is dull then Perth might not be for you...I honestly dont know what some people want....as a home base Id say its pretty damn perfect...

You got me there. I certainly couldn't name hundreds of places to explore..and feel what there is have done a hundred times...much of a muchness many places it could be said. .but the not too crowded bit I fully endorse that is something you don't tend to find much in Europe. I guess it gets down to life experience....plus the fact I grew in WA so old hat for me.

Guest guest17301

I have a 15 yr old, she quite likes it too....maybe she'll see it for the restrictive hellhole it is in a year or two, hey ho! Poor kid....should've gone to south Korea