What to do -I know someone is breaking the rules

Guest Caveman

Guest The Pom Queen
All I can say, is that we had allegations made against us by my ex husband, ( all completely untrue! ) and they (diac) took if VERY seriously we had to provide all sorts of stat decs, extra police checks and a court order, in doing this we missed one of the vital visa changes and our immigration was held up by 8 months, 8 months of stress and misery, and my ex even then put the boot in and reported us to customs, who then interegated us for 2 hours at the airport after all that travelling and to a country we had never been too. They sussed out the allegations were fake, apologised and welcomed us to Australia, we were late getting our car rental and we were really late getting to our rental home, it was all completely ruined by a selfish, nasty, peice of dirt. Be very very careful that what you are about to do is something your concience will not haunt you for!:frown:

Thank goodness you are out of there Cath, you have the rest of your lives in front of you now and he cannot spoil your happiness :hug:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jamie Smith
I notice, by the by, that you haven't acknowledged the errors in your last post.

I apologise for the typos. :tongue:

Guest Jamie Smith
The basic presumption in Australian Law is that if something is not clearly prohibited then it is permissible.

Not in real life or it's opposite, immigration decision making. DIAC case officers have the ability to decide that not clearly prohibited means not permitted (unless it is specifically permitted). Look at the structure of the visa system with a visa for every situation (almost). Does that not signal to you that they expect the right visa to be used for each purpose? Of course a few people appeal if they have the right to do so (not everyone does) and a few of those are overturned, but by and large DIAC think being charged with protecting the borders mean saying no unless they HAVE to say yes.

Guest Jamie Smith
Except for "deliberately lied on their visa application", unless you were a tourist why else would you apply for a tourist visa? Especially as has been repeatedly pointed out, there is a visitor visa 456 that does allow for job seeking where the others don't...

Everyone has heard of tourist visas. Few have heard of the 456. The 456 can be refused before one gets on a plane. The tourist visa you can often get on arrival.

So many overstayers are UK people who think a) they don't need a long term visa to stay in Australia as they assume the tourist visa granted on arrival allows them longer, or b) Australia would never deport a Brit, or c) tourist visas automatically convert to PR if you can find a job.

I blame DIAC for hiding the rules.

Guest Jamie Smith
You have me on A. But B, Jamie Smith respected MARA agent :chatterbox:has already pointed out that what "seems to you" is not correct.

I'm a kiwi living in Australia so I am used to being insulted about that, but please! I am not an agent :realmad:

What is it my kids at school say?? " Snitches get stiches!"

You have to do what ever you can live with.

I think yo ucan advise your friend, that he should make his feelings plain to his " friend". He doesn't endorse his behaviour and does not want to support him with working illegallly in Australia. He can then state his reasons.

Guest Sianburton

I think its a little unfair to go to the DIAC on this one. Obviously if they start working on the visa thats a different issue. But you may cause them to be deported and banned form Australia for 3 years simply for looking for a job.

I think its a little unfair to go to the DIAC on this one. Obviously if they start working on the visa thats a different issue. But you may cause them to be deported and banned form Australia for 3 years simply for looking for a job.

But surely if they get banned for three years that would confirm that they are doing something wrong? I don't understand why people are so happy for Brits to break immigration laws.... If he is doing nothing wrong there is no harm whatsoever in reporting it to DIAC...

I cant see the harm in looking for work , and returning on a work visa ,

but rules is rules , your call buddy .

I wonder what visa the wanted down under families go to oz on ?? short term business ???

lee

Very good call, what visa do they go on (assuming they dont already have their visa)?

One question for everyone on here, if you are applying for your visa and applying for a sponsored positions and the company asked you out for a second interview would you:

A. Say no as a tourist visa would not allow this or

B. Go for the interview?

One question for everyone on here, if you are applying for your visa and applying for a sponsored positions and the company asked you out for a second interview would you:

B. Go for the interview?

or C. apply for a 456 visa?

B. Go for the interview?

b. Go for the interview..... Then get stopped at immigtation as you are not a genuine tourist - get put on next flight home with at 3 year ban from Australia.

Hi Everyone,

Another person I live with is a member of this site - but I wanted to register as a new user to ask this question.

What would you do if you knew someone who was in Australia on a 12 month tourist visa, but who was actively looking for work?? Surely it is a clear breach of this persons visa conditions. They are actively phoning around and looking for sponsorship, and have actually applied for at least one job that I am certain of.

Is there anything that can be done? Can it be done anonymously?

Should I bother?

come on then ya snitch, what did you do?

FYI I would only grass people up who are benefits cheats, double standards, probably :tongue:

Lots of people would love to do what this guy has done, ie. be able to come to Oz and look for work and possibly a sponsor to allow them to emigrate. Why begrudge someone the opportunity to do this?? Sounds like sour grapes to me. Don't be so mean spirited and let it go. He's only looking, it's not like he's started working illegally, now thats a different kettle of fish.

Lots of people would love to do what this guy has done, ie. be able to come to Oz and look for work and possibly a sponsor to allow them to emigrate. Why begrudge someone the opportunity to do this?? Sounds like sour grapes to me. Don't be so mean spirited and let it go. He's only looking, it's not like he's started working illegally, now thats a different kettle of fish.

so you're all up for people like the OP state by jumping the queue?

I think a lot of people try looking for work sponsor visa, be as it may the person is currently in australia looking for work and have the advantage of actually coming to the office for interviews and what not

but the main issue is the intent of the person is straight away looking for jobs, so he did in fact lie when he applied for the tourist visa, it would be different if the first intention is an actual holiday and trying his/her luck for a job interview.

How quick can you get a 456?

456s require pretty specific business proposals and would probably require you to have a position in a business back home that you are hoping to develop with contacts in Australia. For a purely speculative recce with some sightseeing thrown in, a tourist visa is the correct one, surely.

456s require pretty specific business proposals and would probably require you to have a position in a business back home that you are hoping to develop with contacts in Australia. For a purely speculative recce with some sightseeing thrown in, a tourist visa is the correct one, surely.

A visitor visa is the correct visa (of which the ETA is one). I think there are only a few visas that are termed tourist. Entering Australia for a visit, with intention to return to leave after a short period is what the visitor visa is for.

Mate,

From a 3rd party point perspective this is what I would do. First put yourself in this person's shoes. (If you can) Then do the following. Would you like it if someone did it to you? I do not know the story, you, nor the person, or the personality/background. From what I've read so far, as much as you try and make it sound like that this person is doing something illegal, not to be offending, but you on the other hand sound like you are being spiteful for whatever reason. Nevertheless, that is your experience, so apologies if i sound blunt.

Personally I would let it go as long as this does not affect me, BUT once this person overstays her/his 12 month tourist visa and become illegal, then by all means. Do what is right because i don't want illegals to stay with me either.

Personally I would let it go as long as this does not affect me, BUT once this person overstays her/his 12 month tourist visa and become illegal, then by all means. Do what is right because i don't want illegals to stay with me either.

fair and practical...i like that....

Archived