What to do -I know someone is breaking the rules

Guest Caveman

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Caveman

Wow - wasn't expecting so many responses to this thread. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

I'll try address a few of the comments, and hopefully draw a line under it for everyone.

Sorry - I am not good with pasting the quotations, so I am answering various comments all in this one, I hope that is acceptable, and apologies if not (lack of technical capability)

Someone asked if I am sure the person I am writing about is not me - Umm - yeah - I don't break rules. I'm afraid I don't even go into grey areas without clear boundaries. That's just me.

Another comment was that the work this person would be doing would be work no locals want to do - not so. But even if it WAS the case, I don't believe it makes his actions right.

I do not have anything personal against this person - for the record, I am against all kinds of law breakers - not just people in breach of their visa conditions. I also don't believe I am a spiteful person. Yes, I'm afraid my views are pretty black or white - it's either right or it's not. I make no apologies for that - like someone pointed out earlier in the thread, surely if I did report the person to DIAC, and he got banned, it would be proof he WAS doing something wrong. Should I feel bad if that happens??

If he is doing something wrong, why shouldn't he face the consequences of his actions??

If DIAC investigates, and the person is not breaking any rules, he would be fine.

Unfortunately there is more to this story - isn't there always. However, if I posted that, it would give out to much personal info about my friend and the person in question.

In fact, I have already been accused of "going on" about things earlier in the thread, so I will leave it here.

In closing, I would like to address the accusations of being a snitch, and confirm that as yet, I have done nothing. I will re-read the advice on this thread and see how I feel after that.

I have brought this thread to the attention of my friend - what he does from there on is his call.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to post

Wishing those who are applying for visas all the very best - I hope your dreams come true!

Guest Jamie Smith

Getting them to read this is a good idea, well done.

If they still continue on regardless then they know what might happen if they carry on. Can't say they weren't warned.

I appreciate your standing up for your principles. Too many people "don't like to get involved" or let someone else do it all.

Getting them to read this is a good idea, well done.

If they still continue on regardless then they know what might happen if they carry on. Can't say they weren't warned.

I appreciate your standing up for your principles. Too many people "don't like to get involved" or let someone else do it all.

I think he means he will show this to his mate who is "aiding and abetting" the fugitive, if he showed this to the guy in question he is mad and would get slapped....:ssign10:......

Guest scottiedog

caveman u and jamie smith need to get a life gie me a break!ok so the guys bending the rules a bit sooooo what has it to do with you!leave him alone live ur nice little safe life where nothing touches u leave the guy to live his!soo bankers buisness brokers stock exchange goverments break rules but hey thats ok give them there bonus!What has the guy done tried to better his life by staying in a awesome country naughty boy. A lot of people on this site would cut there right hand off if it better there chances to be in oz good luck to the guy!Get him to read this iam in his fan club as another poster said iam away to cut my grass

caveman u and jamie smith need to get a life gie me a break!ok so the guys bending the rules a bit sooooo what has it to do with you!leave him alone live ur nice little safe life where nothing touches u leave the guy to live his!soo bankers buisness brokers stock exchange goverments break rules but hey thats ok give them there bonus!What has the guy done tried to better his life by staying in a awesome country naughty boy. A lot of people on this site would cut there right hand off if it better there chances to be in oz good luck to the guy!Get him to read this iam in his fan club as another poster said iam away to cut my grass

i wonder how many people in this thread would change their views if this particular person got the job you're trying to apply for...

anywho...

correct me if im wrong, but the OP NEVER mentioned the country this particular person comes from, so from where your assumptions he/she came from a far worse country than australia?

Guest scottiedog

you ask a far worse country than Australia?who is making judgements now?I as iam sure many on the site agree Australia is the the number one country to be in or we would not be on this site so are you asking are they from a worse country yes if you would like to know i stay in the uk maybe the same as the offender and class it as a worse country than australia.If they got the job i apply for then yes best of luck to them if they are following there dreams and want to stay in Australia go for it surely they are adding to the country by willing to work and make a life for there selfs and spend there hard earned dollars in that said country?

Guest GeorgeD
If they got the job i apply for then yes best of luck to them if they are following there dreams and want to stay in Australia go for it surely they are adding to the country by willing to work and make a life for there selfs and spend there hard earned dollars in that said country?

So then someone who is in the country legally, like the majority of people on this site who have played by the rules, jumped through all the hoops, done all the medicals, passed all the Police Character Tests, etc, doesn't get the job. What a great guy, pillar of the community and all that, doing his best to become an Australian tax payer...well guess what, if he has no work residency, he's unlikely to be paying taxes either. He's not doing his bit for Australia, he's not helping anyone other than himself, and it's to the detriment of others. From the thoughts on this thread, looking for a job is OK, but working on a tourist visa isn't. So if he starts a job, he's not bending the rules...he's breaking them.

Guest scottiedog
So then someone who is in the country legally, like the majority of people on this site who have played by the rules, jumped through all the hoops, done all the medicals, passed all the Police Character Tests, etc, doesn't get the job. What a great guy, pillar of the community and all that, doing his best to become an Australian tax payer...well guess what, if he has no work residency, he's unlikely to be paying taxes either. He's not doing his bit for Australia, he's not helping anyone other than himself, and it's to the detriment of others. From the thoughts on this thread, looking for a job is OK, but working on a tourist visa isn't. So if he starts a job, he's not bending the rules...he's breaking them.

Yes sorry looking for a job ok getting one on a tourist visa then becoming legal ok!working on a tourist visa no!sorry my main piont was if the guy is looking for a job then getting job then becoming legal ok working on tourist visa no dont think so.We could all have saved fortunes and stress and gone down that route.

Guest The Pom Queen
There's no suggestion on this thread that the OP's friend's friend is looking to work without a proper visa - the suggestion was that he was looking for sponsorship for a work visa.

Thank you, the guy is looking for a job, it's like saying someone can't look for work whilst they are in the UK waiting for their visa. If he was working then it would be different.

Guest Jamie Smith

In DIAC's mind there is a connection between looking for work and actually starting work without the right visa.

They cancel visitor visas if they think the person is looking for work in Australia, DIAC say there is no guarantee the person would apply for or be granted a work related visa. Having signalled their intention to stay in Australia by looking for work, they are no longer a genuine tourist.

Technically DIAC are right. If a person keen to stay was offered employment (or cash only employment) but failed the visa, what would they do? Not everyone sighs with disappointment and goes back home. Who on this forum would say with 100% confidence that the person we're disucssing would be a good boy if it turns to custard for him?

There are many overstayers here including UK people who assume they have the right to stay legally just by getting a visa at the aiport on arrival, or are prepared to go to some lengths to stay knowing they do not have the right visa.

There are around 50,000 overstayers in Aus at any moment, and DIAC say they locate and "resolve" 10,000 each year. I don't mind if some are deterred from committing visa abuse a bit earlier in the process.

Jamie is 100% correct, my Brother-in-law is a customs officer at Sydney Airport and he told me the same thing months ago that DIAC view looking for work/Sponsor and working as one and the same.

Many people get caught at this because some diligent employers run a VEVO check and phone the hotline when someone without a work rights visa turn's up on their premises looking for work, at that point DIAC say that if that particular employer had not tipped them off this person might have accepted a job illegally somewhere else. Looking for work and working is six of one & half Dozen of the other.

Also I have yet to see one of the more respectable MARA agents on here publicly and directly advise people on here to come on a tourist visa to search for Work/Sponsor.

Goodness, people are still chewing this one over?! :goofy: And no one has a definitive answer on it from what I can see :unsure::wacko:

I think it boils down personal choice and beliefs. If you would rather report this sort of thing, then do so, if not, then leave it be. The official bods will deal with it accordingly if its reported, so I don't get the fuss. If the guy is ok, they'll give him the all clear, if not, he'll get booted out or something.

I'll be back to boggle in wonder if it hits 40 pages :laugh::tongue:

Guest Frankie79

On the one hand as a person trying and trying and trying to get a visa I want to say grass them up how dare they but then again as a person trying and trying and trying to get a visa I think good luck to them, wish I had the balls

My husband will be waiting on his visa to come through and will be joining agencies online. Possibly doing voided to convert his NVQ s with no intention of actually working before visa arrives. I wonder though how it would all look to DIAC if they investigated...

• 10 months later...
Guest The Visa Advisor
Originally Posted By Guest32487

Except for "deliberately lied on their visa application", unless you were a tourist why else would you apply for a tourist visa? Especially as has been repeatedly pointed out, here is a visitor visa 456 that does allow for job seeking where the others don't...

The 456 visa is as per DIAC policy

"The purpose of the applicant's visit must be consistent with their personal attributes and business background and generally relate to their existing business activities..... There must also be a demonstrated need for the applicant to be in Australia for business purposes. The aim of this visa is to allow genuine business visitors the opportunity to visit Australia to undertake business related activities as well as to have a short holiday. "

You must have a business related reason that requires you to be in Australia to be issued with this visa.

Guest The Pom Queen
The 456 visa is as per DIAC policy

"The purpose of the applicant's visit must be consistent with their personal attributes and business background and generally relate to their existing business activities..... There must also be a demonstrated need for the applicant to be in Australia for business purposes. The aim of this visa is to allow genuine business visitors the opportunity to visit Australia to undertake business related activities as well as to have a short holiday. "

You must have a business related reason that requires you to be in Australia to be issued with this visa.

Please can I ask you have a quick read through the forum rules, thanks. Any questions don't hesitate to ask

Guest guest76088

This is really a question of whether you want to interfere in the business of someone else. The question I was once taught is to ask: "Is it the principle of what they are doing upsets me, or is it that what they are doing actually impacts me?"

In some countries such fingerpointing is common and expected for even minor infringements (feet on seats on trains for example). Try that in South London and see how far it gets you.

Put another way: are you a law-abiding citizen (or even expat) who sees such behaviour as detrimental to the public good, or is it that you are envious and know he is better qualified than you and will find it easier to get work, when you cannot find a job?

BigD

Archived