Wanted Down Under series!

Guest ino4ek

Shame on the BBC for giving a false impression to potential migrants. I'm sure they must be getting high viewing figures for the programme to justify funding more series, but how many people are put off at the first hurdle due to watching it. Sure there are some that come on POI and other forums and find out the truth, warts and all, but it does make me wonder how many just shelve the idea of migration indefinitely, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

But they have to make it good tv or people wouldn't watch. Plus the people on there get a free weeks holiday in Oz. Can't blame the BBC really. I wouldn't go over to oz just on what i see on the programme, which i why i have spent the last year trying to research housing/schools etc etc for myself.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do feel that this series is more realistic than the others have been, even if the people involved have not been savvy before they arrived. WDU tried to portray as the solution to everyones problems, but from Series 1 to now, you can see the optimism has waned somewhat and the reasons for emmigrating have been moulded into the same reason however tainted by what I think is a definate wrong reason for looking at Australia. If trades cant make ends meet in England, I dont think they are guaranteed to make ends meet over here, you cant treat the downturn in the economy in the UK as a reason to move to a downturned economy elsewhere. There is no reason why it would be easier over here than it would be in the UK.

Hi Jen

we stayed out for an extra three weeks and in this time we spent loads of time looking at houses, you have to remember they need to make good tv so taking you to houses they know your not going to like for the price you want to pay then show you houses that you cant afford but know you will love it!!

Anyway my point is there are plenty of houses in the area we like, the size we would want, with a pool and WALK IN WARDROBES!!:biglaugh: at a price we can afford!!

Look on www.realestate.com/au there are plenty of houses on there i would move in tomorrow!!!

Regards,

Lisa x

Agree with you on that one! We saw loads of lovely houses whilst we were out there. Much nicer than any of the ones that have been shown on WDU! If we hadn't been out there before and had to base the decision to move on that programme I'm sure we wouldn't be going! So all-in-all to those of you who have never been before - don't pay any attention to the houses on WDU they really aren't a true representation of what is out there! We saw some beautiful, ,modern, contemporary houses during our visit and they were very affordable.

Carla

Cannot afford house prices, cannot afford rent, wages third less, showed 2 bed house for 4 people joke, not happy leaving friends and they still say they would go LOL lol LOL lol LOL. As I have said in previous replys if you aint got the money in place it will not work for nearly all & with the current climate $148 to £ but different for those who went at $2.50 to £.

Guest mattanlisa

On a lighter note....just watched todays episode of WDU............... Lovely young family,average expectations etc,not looking for a glamorous lifestyle by any means, just want to be given a break,bless em! Watched their family cry,they cried also........especially for her mum n dad as she spent alot of time with them. A few knock backs with wages and house prices etc but they weren't going to be defeated and were going to give it a go. They return home and.................Surprise!!!!!!!!!!!! Mum and Dad are coming too!!!!!!!!!! No hubby being filmed giving his reaction to the in-laws joining them!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do wonder maybe if Mr Kyle would be available to do a one off show 6 months down the line?????????

Just seen Friday's show in New Zealand. My god what a surprising end that was! So happy the family worked it out and I hope all goes well for them. Can't believe they were off again so quick and parents got visa too! Good show.

I agree totally, what a surprise ending. Good look to them...

for those of you who have been on, or are upcoming in this season, was it worth going on?

We just recieved an application form from the BBC. it was my wifes idea to give it a try. we have a visa and have been to activate it but didnt look at housing or jobs etc. so thought it would maybe be of use. but after what some people have said it seams a little pointless and im not sure i really want to spend the time answering some of the questions they are asking. they also seem a bit rigid about filming times etc. i cant just say to my work im taking time off on these dates , when we might come up to do some filming, and i need more time off on these dates when im off to Aus for a week. its not that simple for me.

and of course theres only the two of us, we both want to go and have the support of our family, that we dont live on the doorstep of? how will they edit that to make conflict!

for those of you who have been on, or are upcoming in this season, was it worth going on?

We just recieved an application form from the BBC. it was my wifes idea to give it a try. we have a visa and have been to activate it but didnt look at housing or jobs etc. so thought it would maybe be of use. but after what some people have said it seams a little pointless and im not sure i really want to spend the time answering some of the questions they are asking. they also seem a bit rigid about filming times etc. i cant just say to my work im taking time off on these dates , when we might come up to do some filming, and i need more time off on these dates when im off to Aus for a week. its not that simple for me.

and of course theres only the two of us, we both want to go and have the support of our family, that we dont live on the doorstep of? how will they edit that to make conflict!

It was worth it for us but our circumstances were different. Only you can decide if you want to give it a go as only you truly know your situation. Is it worth spending twenty minutes filling in the form and going from there? They are a bit flexible when it comes to filming in the UK and will give you a few weeks notice. I think we had around six weeks notice regarding going to Perth. There were around fourteen thousand applications when we applied so there are no guarantees but where's the harm in completing the application? Worry about the rest of it if it becomes something to worry about.

I agree...i did the same but we are all willing and up for the change! We even have family approval! Doesnt make good television when there is no conflict or wobbles about giving everything up in the UK.

I think we are the same. We received the big application form after emailing and sent that back in November. Within a week they rang and interviewed us both separately over the phone. We haven't heard anything further. I think we were possibly too positive and happy to go! Thing is, since then, DH has the wobbles over going and MIL is giving us the silent treatment!! Soooo tempted to email them saying "wait,... we can do conflict now!......" lol

It was worth it for us but our circumstances were different. Only you can decide if you want to give it a go as only you truly know your situation. Is it worth spending twenty minutes filling in the form and going from there? They are a bit flexible when it comes to filming in the UK and will give you a few weeks notice. I think we had around six weeks notice regarding going to Perth. There were around fourteen thousand applications when we applied so there are no guarantees but where's the harm in completing the application? Worry about the rest of it if it becomes something to worry about.

Thanks for that. i realise only we can decide in the end.

the trouble with the taking time off is not that i need the notice, and im off a lot during the week, but if they decide on a specific date, i am unable to just take the time off. there has to be certain amount of licence cover for the aircraft so if theres not enough, ill be refused. so they would need to be flexible also.

i also dont have any idea how much my house is actually worth! i know what id like for it, but thats not going to happen!

as you say, unless they pick us to go forward, its a moot point!! maybe i'll fill it out.

Thanks for that. i realise only we can decide in the end.

the trouble with the taking time off is not that i need the notice, and im off a lot during the week, but if they decide on a specific date, i am unable to just take the time off. there has to be certain amount of licence cover for the aircraft so if theres not enough, ill be refused. so they would need to be flexible also.

i also dont have any idea how much my house is actually worth! i know what id like for it, but thats not going to happen!

as you say, unless they pick us to go forward, its a moot point!! maybe i'll fill it out.

At least filling it in saves twenty minutes of watching soaps. They try to work around you if at all possible but have to work within their production constraints

Hi, my hubby applied for the current series, he sent off the initial email we never heard anything for months, then out of the blue we got an email asking for an update (to which our circumstances had changed considerably). We had a skype interview with one of the researchers it went well and we were asked to do the show.

We were asked the usual questions like our visa situation and what part of Australia we were interested in. We were updated with filming schedules constantly if the dates were not suitable these were changed to accommodate both us and the bbc. We were given plenty of notice with dates/filming schedules etc. Filming was very enjoyable, we had a lovely producer (Luke) who made us all feel at ease.

Filming before Australia was for 2 days, these weren't full days. Filming in Australia was 5 days out of the 7. They filmed us arriving at the airport and then took us to our accommodation, we had the rest of the day and the next day off to recover, after this it was very much full on for 5 days but this was worthwhile and enjoyable. They dont mind if you want to stay an extra week after filming has finished we were told most families do this.

All in all if you get the chance to do this show I would highly recommend it, whilst filming we made so many helpful contacts that will be very useful for when we do finally go.

Archived