Wanted Down Under series!

Guest ino4ek

Guest mattanlisa
You want to see how long you have to twirl them for while fiming. It takes about ten minutes for each vote just to twirl the cards. The only time I really felt like cringing.

When were/are you on? If i've missed your family would love to see it now!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw Weds episode and omg there was so much misleading information in it! It was the episode with the Perth family where Mum had joint issues and Dad was (going to be) ex-navy I believe, with a 22 year old daughter and young son.

The daughter was talking to some students at university and I think it was just crossed wires, but the way it was edited made it seem like you can take a 1 year course from scratch to become a Teaching Assistant out in WA and then earn £38,000 a year! Very very misleading, as that's just not the case at all. Whilst its obvious you have to take the programme with a pinch of salt (its tv after all) that was just completely and utterly wrong - like I say I think its because of crossed wires and bad editing, but it was very very misleading for those watching who haven't done loads of research already. Grrr - come on BBC - you're the BBC for heaven's sake, stop such sloppy work!

Sorry, it just really annoyed me.

The reason she was able to do a 1 year course to become a teacher, ( I don't think it was an assistant but could be wrong.) Was because she had already done a degree and the bulk of the training in the UK

I can't comment on the salary, have no idea about that.

You want to see how long you have to twirl them for while fiming. It takes about ten minutes for each vote just to twirl the cards. The only time I really felt like cringing.

I bet!! :biggrin:

They need to bring it into the 21st century and get the families holding up ipads with a yes or no on!

:biggrin:

The reason she was able to do a 1 year course to become a teacher, ( I don't think it was an assistant but could be wrong.) Was because she had already done a degree and the bulk of the training in the UKI can't comment on the salary, have no idea about that.
I agree, ithink the course they were discussing was equivalent to our PGCE, the teacher training year and not teaching assistant.

i also though it was a little misleading to tell one of the guys he could earn $75k there and say it was equvelant of £50k. while the exchange rate might say that, the standard of living is not the same as a £50k job here.

i can only hope that those serious about moving to australia, do a bit of their own research and know what the important parts are to take from the program and what is a little wooley!

i still like watching it and like others have said the family on friday were great and made the program that bit more watchable!

Can we watch this in Australia???

There are ways to obtain it via torrents and the like. Not exactly legit. Or back door in with a VPN and watch via iPlayer.

I agree, ithink the course they were discussing was equivalent to our PGCE, the teacher training year and not teaching assistant.

Sorry, was going to go back and amend my post - some people who have been through it all and done all the research might know that, but the way they were talking (hence the crossed wires etc comments) made it sound like anyone can rock up, do a one year course and earn £38K as a teaching assistant in WA. Which obviously isn't going to happen.

Thankyou ~ Thats good to know......But I have no idea how you mean?! :GEEK: LOL

Google 'VPN' or Wikipedia it. It explains what a VPN is and how to use one. Many in Aus do. Its not exactly legit to watch things like iPlayer. 4 on Demand and ITV Player etc on it from outside the UK but most people don't seem to care about this aspect.

If I was the Mum of the young man from the Shetlands I would be very worried ... he seemed very close to the edge ...

I agree was very worried and hated is life is shetlands and his misses wasn't giving much either ,,,,shame hope they work it out but think they might split soon ,,hope not but when u are so unhappy it's sometimes best to move on as me and my family are doin in 28 days to oz ,,,

I agree was very worried and hated is life is shetlands and his misses wasn't giving much either ,,,,shame hope they work it out but think they might split soon ,,hope not but when u are so unhappy it's sometimes best to move on as me and my family are doin in 28 days to oz ,,,

I agree with his wife in some ways, why should she give up her dream for his? You would replace one unhappy person with another. I think he would be happier in oz as he would be able to get a job he enjoys, but according to the program he would still have to work just as much so still not get as much family time like the UK. Then if he went home to an unhappy wife.....! It's a very difficult situation. she has only been living her dream of her horse business for 2 years so it's a very short time to ask her to give it up. Maybe they should look back into Oz a few years down the line once she has had chance to give her business a go. It's a hard thing for both of them and I did feel for them.

At the same time if they have always lived in the Shetlands and that's where they started their life together, then it seems unfair for him to expect them to change to oz, unless she agreed to that before they were married. But from what I saw this is something he wanted since they had their honeymoon there. I have always wanted to go to Oz, and told my partner this when we first got together. He was not sure but we took a holiday there a couple of years later back in December 2009. I was lucky he loved it too, but I always said I was going with or without him so he knew what was expected!:wink:

If someone wants something new down the line...well that's a little more difficult. I think it's all about compromise but you got to see it from each others views. For instance he wasn't too happy with the country house's they viewed but that is what she wanted, if he expects her to move to oz she should be able to live in the country side with the horse's...compromise! I just wish them luck and hope they work it out. They seemed like very lovely people. It was almost odd as she was the one who was born in Oz but wanted to stay in the UK, I take it they would get into Oz on her oz passport.

watched the NZ one today (Fridays Ep) really nice family, seed really tight nit. I dare say the tightest nit family I have seen on WDU (Inc NZ) for some time, all family members in agreement. Less the youngest at the end, but the dad was like' ok we need to discuss things and sort stuff out. I dare say they will move out, and have a lovely time.

Looking forward to more Perth ones! hopefully all next week!!!!!

I believe there are two more Perth episodes next week- monday/ Stitt family and wed/ Green family..

Its great having more Perth episodes the last few series only had a few..

Guest thehoe5
Just wanted to say we really enjoyed your show - you have a lovely family. Good luck, we are going through the process too so understand the ups and downs. Keep us all posted......

Thanks and we will do :cute:

Guest thehoe5
Hiya,

Just wanted to say that I can't believe the comments that other people have said on other sites! It is completely absolutely and mindblowingly stupid!

I thought that you were a fantastic family and all had your heads screwed on!!! I was very impressed with how you all dealt with the decisions, and your daughter is a true credit to you and your family. I thought how mature and kind she was, and was not like a lot of teenagers and people my own age!

I am so glad that you liked Australia and I would just like to wish you the absolute best for your new life. Keep in touch, and as far as I'm concerned those awful naysayers might as well go and swivel!

How many of them are doing what you are doing for your family? They don't even have the b**ls to dare to try and find out if moving to Australia is worthwhile!!! Aaaaaarghh! That makes me so mad.

Sorry they were so awful, but I really think you are a great bunch of people and good luck with whatever you do! Xx

Thanks annagilda it means alot to hear nice comments I WAS really upset on the day but after giving myself a slap and a reality check im well and truly over it!!! If these people are sad enough to sit on "twatter" and write mean things about people trying to live life to the full then they need to either GET a life, get a job get therapy or all of the above!!!!

Anyway rant over thanks again we'll keep you all updated putting the house on the market next week as we have found this is the thing that takes the longest so fingers crossed xx......

Unfortunately to me there appears to be an unbalanced relationship with the Shetland couple. The husband works 7 days a week, whilst the wife runs her own dream business.

Maybe if she is not willing to relocate to Oz then he should reduce his hours with his current employer, giving him more quality time to be with his family in a location that his wife obviously wants to live.

Time unfortunately is one thing that money cannot buy...

Guest thehoe5
That's so nice to find out you're making the move. As i said previously i love the revisited's as you get to find out if people actually get to Oz.

As the song 'Sunscreen' goes (heard it on the radio the other day, first time in yonks!) "Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults" And the most important bit for when you get to Oz "Wear sunscreen"!!! :biglaugh::cute:

haaaaaa:biglaugh: I'd forgot about that song!!! I've now got it stuck in my head...thanks for that :wink: x

watched the NZ one today (Fridays Ep) really nice family, seed really tight nit. I dare say the tightest nit family I have seen on WDU (Inc NZ) for some time, all family members in agreement. Less the youngest at the end, but the dad was like' ok we need to discuss things and sort stuff out. I dare say they will move out, and have a lovely time.

Looking forward to more Perth ones! hopefully all next week!!!!!

They were great! Deffo my favourite family. I thought the wee girl was superb, she was keeping it real, she has a very mature head on her little shoulders. Their property expectations were realistic, they weren't asking for that much just good sized rooms and 2 bathrooms and fair enough the first house was a depressing shoebox. I hope eveything works out for them, a 'revisited' episode on this bunch would be great :o)

The show is very family-focussed and seems biased towards the 'spending time with the children' aspect, I've only seen one childless couple on it and their intention was to settle in Aus and start a family. Some non-parent types would be good in the mix, the show appears somewhat formulaic. Then again I've not seen all the episodes!

Archived