Wanted Down Under series!

Guest ino4ek

Hi!

There are new series Wanted Down Under (4 Feb 2011)

Wanted Down Under Revisited - the series that catches up with some of the original British families who tried out life in Australia and New Zealand and finds out where they are now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dougans, glad to see you,ve come back to Aus! Hope everythings going O.K and your settled now. Yes you can watch 'Wanted Down Under' in Aus, we download it from either UKnova or Piratebay onto the computer,transfer it to a portable harddrive then watch it on the T.V through a Western Digital 'media player box' which to be hoest has been a life-saver when it comes to watchin the box as you know Aus T.V is'nt the best in the world!! Hope this helps and let us know how you go on if you go down this route, cheers,Dave,Debs and the boys...icon10.png

Hi Dougans, glad to see you,ve come back to Aus! Hope everythings going O.K and your settled now. Yes you can watch 'Wanted Down Under' in Aus, we download it from either UKnova or Piratebay onto the computer,transfer it to a portable harddrive then watch it on the T.V through a Western Digital 'media player box' which to be hoest has been a life-saver when it comes to watchin the box as you know Aus T.V is'nt the best in the world!! Hope this helps and let us know how you go on if you go down this route, cheers,Dave,Debs and the boys...icon10.png

thanks for this i will try when does it start ? yea we good still miss family though but have better quality life here . how long you been here ? where abouts are u ? thanks :biggrin:

The new series (series 6) is scheduled to begin on BBC1 at 9:00am on Monday 2nd January 2012. 20 episodes to be shown over 4 weeks on weekday mornings. Can't tell you how long it will take before they are available on UKnova or Piratebay but (once you've adjusted for the time difference) should think it will be fairly instantaneous.

The first episode is the Andrews family in Perth and the second episode (Tuesday 3rd January) the Hoe family in Brisbane.

Other upcoming episodes are the Gill Family (Weds 4th Jan); the Bishop family (Thurs 5th Jan) and the Edwards family in New Zealand (Fri 6th Jan)

So that first Perth episode has been broadcast (available on iPlayer for anyone in the UK who missed it but I don't know if it's on UKNova or piratebay yet). Any comments? It was nice they were quoting house prices at a realistic FX rate for once (A$1.5 to the £) and we actually got the A$ prices given to us as well for all the houses so we weren't left wondering what the real prices were. That said the prices were a lot lower than I was led to believe Perth house prices are. Anyone know why?

Guest thehoe5

Im not sure if they just put the house price on without the land price??? we're on tomorrow and the prices are VERY different!!!

With us they did it as a package but today seemed to good to be true??

We've not been to Perth but cant see the prices being $250,000 difference??? if they are its Perth here we come!!! :biggrin:

Im not sure if they just put the house price on without the land price??? we're on tomorrow and the prices are VERY different!!!

With us they did it as a package but today seemed to good to be true??

We've not been to Perth but cant see the prices being $250,000 difference??? if they are its Perth here we come!!! :biggrin:

We've been looking at the developments mentioned and those prices seem to match even now with the land/build package deals available.

For example http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-banksia+grove-109020466?listingType=buy a 3+2 @ $293,400

I think we may build ourselves though and save another 25-40% on the developer prices or get a larger lot and pool. Self built in the UK in 2007 so not too daunting !

Guest Guest31881
We've been looking at the developments mentioned and those prices seem to match even now with the land/build package deals available.

For example http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-banksia+grove-109020466?listingType=buy a 3+2 @ $293,400

I think we may build ourselves though and save another 25-40% on the developer prices or get a larger lot and pool. Self built in the UK in 2007 so not too daunting !

It depends what state you are going to about building your own property, Some insist that you register as a builder with them, All Gas, plumbing and electrical work has to be done by qualified registered tradesmen...

The prices for a house built on new land is for basics, you have to look into what else you have to pay for.

Now that I am in OZ I watch WDU without the rose tinted glasses. They show the most amazing houses at totally unrealistic prices. The first family reckoned they would be £2000 a month better off -YES because they both worked full time and she didnt work in UK. There was no mention of child care for little ones which is very expensive. Im now convinced the whole series is a propaganda machine to recruit clueless Brits to Oz. And yes I fell for it!

Possibly the prices were lower than we all seem to have expected due to where they were? A little way out of Perth, maybe that location location location makes all the difference - don't really know Perth area that well (as we are off to SA) but maybe it being not on Perth's doorstep (were they not?) and in perhaps less popular places at the moment makes that much of a difference. Plus, they seemed to be new build estates that weren't finished yet from what was said, so I'm guessing that has a big influence on prices as well, and when the estates are finished off the prices will go up quite a jump, that's what we've seen in our (admittedly limited) research on such things.

I can't see they would lie about the prices, there doesn't seem to be any need to surely? If the houses are too expensive, that just adds to the 'made for tv' drama of the situation, and the lovely Nicky gets to say such things as 'that must be a devastating blow for them' 'how will Bob convince Bobina now that they can have their Australian dream with property prices so much higher than expected?' and so on.....

We were very pleasantly surprised, even if the houses weren't really to our tastes as it were, that's what decorating and paint is for :biglaugh:

Now that I am in OZ I watch WDU without the rose tinted glasses. They show the most amazing houses at totally unrealistic prices. The first family reckoned they would be £2000 a month better off -YES because they both worked full time and she didnt work in UK. There was no mention of child care for little ones which is very expensive. Im now convinced the whole series is a propaganda machine to recruit clueless Brits to Oz. And yes I fell for it!

You take from it what you want to take from it imho.

Guest guest57545

Programme has a lot to be desired tbh, does Nicki ever actually appear in the same shot as the family? from memory she films about 10 intros in oz and the rest is voiceovers? maybe a PIO member could present instead I'll do the northern beaches sydney i could show a family how they can swap their 2 up 2 down in preston for a 5 bed house with a jetty on Pittwater which 'might be a bit of a struggle for the smiths' unless they tighten their belts! :laugh:

Programme has a lot to be desired tbh, does Nicki ever actually appear in the same shot as the family? from memory she films about 10 intros in oz and the rest is voiceovers? maybe a PIO member could present instead I'll do the northern beaches sydney i could show a family how they can swap their 2 up 2 down in preston for a 5 bed house with a jetty on Pittwater which 'might be a bit of a struggle for the smiths' unless they tighten their belts! :laugh:

Programme gave me exactly what I wanted. A free trip to Perth to validate my visa and the chance of a look around. When I saw yesterday that the family were going to be so much better off I was quite surprised based upon our episode where we pretty much break even. But that's if we had bought the house we liked which was quite a big mortgage and my wife not working as she does not in the UK.

The filming is all done independently of the host's comments and no, she is never around for filming while in Oz. Try and remember that they have a license to edit the show whichever way they want to and that not all conversations can be fitted into a 45 minute show. Those conversations may be the ones that include items such a childcare. Our episode is on the 25th, make of it what you will.

Guest The Pom Queen

Can I just place a reminder that a lot of the people who take part in this show are poms in oz members so when you review the programme please take this in to account and don't make it personal.

It depends what state you are going to about building your own property, Some insist that you register as a builder with them, All Gas, plumbing and electrical work has to be done by qualified registered tradesmen...

The prices for a house built on new land is for basics, you have to look into what else you have to pay for.

Yup, should have said we are heading for Perth so I know I would have to register with WA as an owner builder (not as a pro builder). The gas and electric requirements are nothing new but plumbing is (not sure why, it's not like it could kill anyone !).

Back to the developer land and build packages it's surprising what you can get included. I've found a brand new 4+2 for $378,000 which only needs the back yard doing !

Anyway back to the program, like the subtle change to the format but if they spent a few less seconds twirling the flags they could include more info. Always skip past the message from home bit as we know it will be hard to leave family and friends and that is just part and parcel of it all, we get it !

Looking forward to the next one ...................:wink:

Can I just place a reminder that a lot of the people who take part in this show are poms in oz members so when you review the programme please take this in to account and don't make it personal.

Kate, I've noticed this thread is in the "Moving Back to the UK" Forum. Doesn't really look like the right place for it. Do you want to move it?

Guest The Pom Queen
Kate, I've noticed this thread is in the "Moving Back to the UK" Forum. Doesn't really look like the right place for it. Do you want to move it?

No worries x

In the show they sometimes show people houses and say they are not within their budget.

Perhaps I'm ignorant but what does that mean?

Does it mean once they sell their house in the UK they don't have enough equity left to buy and be mortgage free OR they can't get a mortgage to buy the property as they have to smaller deposit?

Thought it was easy to get a mortgage?

For instance with a $50k deposit how much could you borrow? Ballpark figure obviously..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest The Pom Queen

It depends on a lot of factors, some banks won't lend to you until you have been here a while, some will consider if you borrow no more than 80%

Guest mattanlisa

Hi,watching WDU the last two mornings,have to say, much better format than other series as it seems more accurate with the house prices. They tend to actually show houses that are within your budget. Having said that i think Perth is always good value especially as always, inland, so if there's no family ties or job on offer i personally would look at perth just from what i've seen on www.realestate.com.au.Hope everything goes to plan and you're there for the end of the year. I myself am a plumber and will be curious to see how work goes for you,give me a shout if you if theres plenty of work! Family and i dont want to be here another christmas TBH!