Wanted Down Under series!

Guest ino4ek

Guest guest36187

To be honest, never liked watching WDU and never did before we left. For me, the best way to learn is to do! We had family out here that gave us a hell of a more realistic view than that program ever could!!!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

A bit cloudy in Lanzarote this morning so thought I would give an update now the episode has been aired. We won´t be able to see it until Sunday.

As you can see from my sig we are flying out on the 14th March but it is currently only the three of us. Kirsty has decided to wait until she finishes her degree to follow us but will be visiting in between. We have also floated the idea of her doing her final year in Perth as it may be a good opportunity for her to make friends rather than coming over cold.

As for Nanna Dot, she is going to Florida for the first time in May to do the whole Disney thing so I wouldn´t rule out her visiting with my parents sometime in the future. Trust me, nobody who has ever met her could ever forget her and she is an inspiration on how to live your life instead of moping about how tough her life is with age related illness. Her next intention is a tandem sky dive for charity.

Thanks for all the positive responses.

Si

Hi all

A bit cloudy in Lanzarote this morning so thought I would give an update now the episode has been aired. We won´t be able to see it until Sunday.

As you can see from my sig we are flying out on the 14th March but it is currently only the three of us. Kirsty has decided to wait until she finishes her degree to follow us but will be visiting in between. We have also floated the idea of her doing her final year in Perth as it may be a good opportunity for her to make friends rather than coming over cold.

As for Nanna Dot, she is going to Florida for the first time in May to do the whole Disney thing so I wouldn´t rule out her visiting with my parents sometime in the future. Trust me, nobody who has ever met her could ever forget her and she is an inspiration on how to live your life instead of moping about how tough her life is with age related illness. Her next intention is a tandem sky dive for charity.

Si

Great news... And a little info for you here. I am an ex pro skydiver who was based in Florida for 12 yrs. Tell your Nanna to do her tandem skydive when she is there. the centre i worked at was the best in the world and only 45 minutes from Orlando. Beats trying to do it in the UK and its alot nicer doing it in warm air.. Hence why i lived is Florida for 12 yrs.. Message me if you want more info on this i will be happy to send it to you.

Kirsty sounds very sensible to me, we leave in April and our son has 2 more years to do here at Uni, so will be doing the visitng thing too, he may do a Masters at an Oz uni to cultivate friends, so that maybe an idea for Kirsty, but I dont think they will have any problem making mates, Ben managed it on a 2 week visit last summer

Hope you are enjoying Lanzarote.

Really enjoyed your programme yesterday - you look a lovely family. I think Kirstie is being very sensible and I really think she will join you in the future as you could see her becoming more pro-Oz as the week wore on after being anti at the start. Also your son looks a real sweetie and I'm sure he will fit in just fine.

Which leaves Nanna Dot. How lovely is she - the sort of lady you just want to hug. I'm sure she'll have a fab time in Florida; it's a great place.

Good luck to you all. X

Hi all

Si

Are you thinking they get some kind of financial help from these city's to film there?????

Not sure. But I'm sure it must help with advertising certain areas to would-be migrants. You would just think it makes sence to have 4 episodes on each of the top 5 cities (maybe a few of New Zeland if really necessary!!!).

Wouldn't financial support be a form of advertising and be against the license fee legislation that applies? In the scheme of things the amount of money they spend on the Australia part of the filming is minimal when compared to the BBC's annual budget so I guess taking both aspects is may be unlikely for this to happen.

Wouldn't financial support be a form of advertising and be against the license fee legislation that applies? In the scheme of things the amount of money they spend on the Australia part of the filming is minimal when compared to the BBC's annual budget so I guess taking both aspects is may be unlikely for this to happen.

Actually the rules were changed very recently such that the BBC is now allowed to have sponsorship and product placement - but there are strict rules as to how this is done including a requirement to tell the viewer when this is happening. That said I have yet to see any programmes where the BBC has said it is doing this and it certainly hasn't been mentioned on "wanted down under".

Just watched the no 16 episode the wood family,

without being disrespectful why goto Australia and ask your brothers boss how much you could earn , surely a phone call could of sorted this. along with cost of living , his family live there ask them!!!

Sorry but this one is definitely get a free flight to visit the family

Sorry!!

Just watched the selfish Mum & Dad (playing the trump card) I hope there son does not go after such a low blow it may be your dream but why use blackmail. I might be wrong on this but how can you take some ones child (adult) to emigrate with you ?? if I am right then the programme should put this very misleading statement wright.

The son did vote to go and he only seemed to change his mind once he got a girlfriend, then I suppose it was a case if she wanted to go or not. Once they said she could come he seemed more then willing. Same as the daughter really, she didn't want to go as she had a boyfriend back home, as soon as that ended she wanted to get straight out there. I guess the parents knew this and didn't want teenage relationships to hold their children back in the UK when they wanted to go, and they seemed quite happy the girlfriend was coming along. I think sometimes mummy and daddy know best! My mum's always right! :rolleyes:

Archived