100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murky

Some of the comments to the OP I found offensive.I believe the OP has mentioned they are from India/Pakistan ???.

IMHO some posters come across as sarcastic and supercilious.Lots are in NO position to comment on life in Oz when they admit they are still in the UK.

Post your comments when you actually live here,not just for a holiday but actually live here.

The only sensible post on this thread.

Guest guest59177
Oh God, I made the mistake of looking at that thread on Britishexpats and as soon as I realized it's one where they all whinge about the high prices in OZ versus the low prices in UK, I came straight out of it.

Please can someone tell me honestly where I've gone wrong because I just do not give a stuff what prices are in the UK compared to OZ.

I cared about them when I lived in the UK but as soon as I set foot back in OZ I forgot about them.

It's not as if I'm rich - I'm getting by on about $300 per week albeit without having to pay rent or mortgage. I was financially better off in the UK because I was working full time.

Why can't people look forward and not backwards?

I suppose you guys have worked this out of your systems by now, but just for the record: you got the wrong forum :biglaugh:

Guest guest59177
Where is it then :wacko:

The OP's original post got modded out. I got a chance to take a look right before the original thread disappeared. Then the OP posted essentially the same thing minus the link. So I'm rather reluctant about posting the info... I suppose I can tell you that the link wasn't to any 'thread' but rather this site hosts articles on its homepage and the forums are deeper into the site. The OP had posted a link to the article on Australia - rather the discussion that took place beneath that. The funny thing is that the article was on and on about how cost of living is LOW in Australia :biglaugh: And the discussion was anywhere from 92 weeks - 42 weeks old :biglaugh:

let me tell you...That forum had 100's of 1000's of people who said things negatively about moving there..I dont understand why everyone there was talking about tax food rent cars medicare ...not even a single post that was positive...I am amazed ....

The forum is probably run by people who are already here and want to keep it for themselves. We always tell people to say Perth is crap and not to come.

Always take things written on the internet with a pinch of salt. It's pretty easy to knock up a website (like this one even) make it look good and put things on there which are your opinion and your opinion only. It's also fairly easy to get a load of people in the same mindset to post the same kind of thoughts, while the people that are quite happy here would just not bother posting.

Browse through a few threads on here and you will find all sorts of opinions. From one extreme to the other.

Just for an example look at this one:

Affordable city in Australia: 0

Housing cost in Australia: Complete joke

Grocery in Australia: Pay more and get less in quality and quantity

Life Style, Beach Culture: please pay $8.80 per hour for parking first to visit any beach

Education: Complete crap

Racism? Yes, everywhere

There's one glaring mistake there already. Parking is free at any beach (in Perth anyway).

Thanks for the very lame suggestion...

I just want to clear out the ambiguity that is goin on in my head for a while...

Can somebody debate on the tax rate that AUS charge on one saary...Is it really 30 ro 40%%%%% ??? Ehhhh

Please discuss...

Post a link to the website you saw and then we can all check it out and put some positive posts on there. (if we can be bothered).

Guest guest59177
There's one glaring mistake there already. Parking is free at any beach (in Perth anyway).

And the bit about quality of foodstuff is total rubbish. There's lots of fresh fruit and veggies here and totally delicious. My friend who lives in the USA tells me this:

I went to the grocer's asking for organic apples. He pointed me to a basket where dented, shrivelled apples were placed. He complained about the low quality. And the grocer said THIS IS what organic apples are like - that's what you get when you don't put in all them chemicals. Now my friend, having lived in Pakistan where there is still organic farming simply because we aren't a very advanced country, at once cottoned on that the grocer was misleading. But I suppose lots of clueless Americans who haven't seen the original stuff just grow up thinking tasteless is what organic is all about :biglaugh: That said, I suppose finding fresh milk and yogurt would be a pain in Australia...

Hi well, its my sister whos going to immigrate and not me..But ofcourse if u love ut sister then u must be as worried abt stuff concerned to her as if it was happening with you..Thats wht i do..dunno about other poms here.

My sister is married and she doent hav that much tme as to sit on the internet so i do all the immigration reated things for her.I hope that doesnt pinch anyone in the back???Does it ?....

I think someone assumed the original OP is not from the UK due to the obvious lack of written English skills.

We could turn this around and say 100 reasons not to move back to the UK. Overall Australia still has its problems here like any country but I would rate it more highly than the UK. Look at the recent riots in the uk, the ongoing debate about tuition fees ect, ect. These type of problems do not happen here (they have), but not as often. Yes there are problems with immigration here but the Australian government are much more tuned in than the UK. The UK joined the EU - which in my opinion was responsible for the recession. Also the Labour government, particularly when Tony Blair was in power and Gordon Brown ruined many public services and were largly responsible for there poor error in international tradings for increase in in pertol prices ect. The list goes on! Now that the UK have a conservative government things seems to be improving but at a slow rate.

I would say overall I would rather be in Australia . The government arent perfect but things are much more stable here. Employment is good and I would say crime is less. We also have a much better control on immigration. I could go on and write an essay on the topic - but these are just a few of my opinions!

what's the difference, if you get taxed much higher. I have friends both in the lower-end of income class, here is the comparison.

They are both working in airports as baggage handlers. In Australia, he gets paid $12 a hour, gets taxed, gets maybe $8 an hour.

My other friend works in US, gets $10 per hour, get taxed at 9%, also goes home at $8 an hour

But living cost in US is 50% to 100% cheaper depending on where you live..so those in US actually make much better return at the end of the day. ...

Yeah right! You need to check your facts! $12 would below the minimum wage for someone 20 or over, which I assume they would be if they are working at the airport. My 15 year old earns more than that on her part time job!

Funnily enough there is a dispute by Qantas baggage handlers at the moment about pay. They said they currently get $20 per hour.

And the bit about quality of foodstuff is total rubbish. There's lots of fresh fruit and veggies here and totally delicious. My friend who lives in the USA tells me this:

I went to the grocer's asking for organic apples. He pointed me to a basket where dented, shrivelled apples were placed. He complained about the low quality. And the grocer said THIS IS what organic apples are like - that's what you get when you don't put in all them chemicals. Now my friend, having lived in Pakistan where there is still organic farming simply because we aren't a very advanced country, at once cottoned on that the grocer was misleading. But I suppose lots of clueless Americans who haven't seen the original stuff just grow up thinking tasteless is what organic is all about :biglaugh: That said, I suppose finding fresh milk and yogurt would be pain in Australia...

I call Bull***t . Have been staying in good ole US of A for the past 15 years, and have never heard crap like this. Your "friend" obviously has no clue what he/ she is talking about..

For the fencesitters, every country has pros and cons.

Some people move to another country to make a life out of it, integrate work through the good and the bad, while the others look to make money and get back where they think they would fit in better.

For all we know the OP / OP's sister / Brother etc etc could fit into the latter category.I have seen too many of those here, good for the economy, no value add for the society, but i guess it takes all kinds to make a great country

I suppose you guys have worked this out of your systems by now, but just for the record: you got the wrong forum :biglaugh:

Have I? I thought I was countering wildly inaccurate propaganda about Australia with carefully thought out and balanced arguments stating the facts.

I don't care if people make balanced criticism of Australia - let's start, say, with Sydney's appalling transport and roads or the incompetence of the ALP Government - pink batts, schools, carbon tax (sorry to sound like Alan Jones.)

I hate the thought of people planning to migrate here being put off by a few 'pyromaniacs!'

PositivePixie, sorry if im being rude but for every big move you need to hav a lot of research and moving from one country to another is a hell big of a step...eaving everything behind and very blind about what wi happen nex, you should be having all the +ives and -ives of the other country...

Austraia may hav gud points, but whtever I heard If im sharing with poms here is not a big offense i guess...or is it???

I want to clarify the doubts that that forum has built in me...

It would be far better to take a look yourself and form your own opinion. After all whether Australia is good or bad all anyone can state is how they find it. If a person is making super bucks working in the mines or in the oil & gas industry their wages will more than compensate for what is in fact a expensive place.

Remember though that Australia has one of the highest minimun wages in the world so most can get by.

A lot of wages though have not kept up with costs of living such a number do feel the pinch also.

If you have a good standard over there though and are happy I wouldn't burn my bridges. Come if possible for a year and see if it's for you.

Go there and check whether its suitable for your or not .

I dont care how many negative posts were there about australia. i will surely move and will see how will i survive there.

you will find tons of articles regarding "100 Reasons why not to move to USA/CANADA/UK/FRANCE/AFGHANISTAN"

Alternatively you will find 1000 reasons why Australia is best country ....

If australia is that bad then why its 4 cities are listed in MORE LIVE ABLE CITIES of the world. including Melbourne standing 1st ....

Its better not to waste your time on these articles.

Perhaps worth considering is what is being measured in that survey may not be of a lot of use to potential migrants. For instance taking this years second city,Vancouver in Canada,which by the way is often rated in this measurement as worlds number 1 city, has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. Perhaps not an easy city for a non cashed up immigrant to wash up in.

Wages are surprisingly low there for many as well taking into account the costs and not forgetting a high incidence of homelessness and drug abuse.

Immigration is no easy business. Too much information overload perhaps for the enquirer perhaps?

I think its not tht funny..I posted this thread here so pople coud give me some knowledgeable amount of experiences and research ..But I guess there are very few poepl who are reay serious about their life after going to OZ or may be they are way more richer who can afford to give a good amount of money as tax to the Aussie Govt with very high rates of ...No offence..yeahh!! :biggrin:

I can only give you my example but I lost and gained. A bit of a balance in retrospect knowing but I do now I more than likely as being the same have remained in Europe.(not UK, especially)

Reason being with the years of working here combined with the years over there I would have been able to retire early with a pretty decent income.

Where as in Australia entering the Super system here later and even after adding substantially to it will never secure anywhere near enough to retire well. In fact have had a few rather big loses there.

Another dislike is I will never get the aged pension because of assets. In Europe and UK this would not have been an issue as it is not taken into account what a person has.

But have gained (sort of) with real estate with a 300% mark up on the house in ten years. Thing is everywhere else has gone up as well.

Seem to be able to save money far easier than Europe/London but reason being social life as well as going out would have declined by more than half.

If you are wavering it could be Australia is not for you?

I completely agree with you..

We just want a decent not tooo weathy but unstressful life...Do u think Austraia has that kind of life as compared to the UK?

Not necessary. I've had some stress in both places on balance would cancel each other out. Found it a little easier to de stress though I would say in UK but that was more due to the people around me. (seemed to be able to down load easier)

Depends on the sort of person you are as well naturally.

Christ :eek: this thread is like a load of children fighting in the playground.

When will people realize that people like different things and what suits one will not suit another.

Australia and the UK have roughly the same problems as each other be it crime, cost of living, bored youth, working hard to have a decent life etc etc, you can go to parts of the coast in the UK an think you were in Australia and you can go to some parts of downtrodden places in Australia and thing you were in parts of the UK, try it and if you don't like it go back to the UK, iy ain't rocket science is it.

Include the super annuation also....

What on earth are you talking about?

Tax on $50,000 is $8600 including the Medicare Levy. Without the Medicare Levy, it is $7850.

If you earn $50,000, your EMPLOYER must pay an additional $4500 superannuation into a fund of your choice. YOU don't pay the superannuation.

Wow, just caught up with this all !

Hia, I think it may be best if you (and or your sister) step back and perhaps consider researching Oz for yourself on factual websites/books etc or maybe even consider a holiday out there because as well meaning as many of the people on here are, you will inevitably get conflicting opinions which may or may not align with your own.

The other forum you have been on I also found to be quite negative and maybe this is why you have not accepted mine and others answers to your questions posted here on migration process issues until it gets repeated several times.

The immi.gov.au website and the individual aussie state websites give tons of "real" information to help you and your sister make your own opinions and decisions.

Good luck. :wink: