100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

Guest SupportPants
So many poms arrive and get upset because it's not the same as blighty. Why did they leave?

I wonder if it's the same as the Brits going to Canada, NZ or the US or whether alot of people just don't like things in Oz specifically ?

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if it's the same as the Brits going to Canada, NZ or the US or whether alot of people just don't like things in Oz specifically ?

I would have thought it would be the same regardless of what country the person has moved to, i am sure there are sites just like this one regarding say Canada or America for example where people are having a bit of a whinge because it is not how they maybe expected it to be.

However i would not just put it down to whinging poms, we have had plenty of people move to Britain who do not like our way of life and want to change it into something they are more used to, its human nature to moan about things and is certainly not just a British thing in my opinion.

So many poms arrive and get upset because it's not the same as blighty. Why did they leave?

It's not actually such a large number although it can appear that way on PIO when you see a few posts about it each day. You just have to look at the actual number of posts from people who WANT to come here or are already here and happy and compare that figure to the posts from people who are going home or want to do so.

Maybe because it is not A BIT like the glossy programmes on TV and because the weather is not what they expected, either to hot or even poor wet weather for a few months when they thought it was sun most of the year.

And the main thing is a lot of people realize that the grass is not always greener and you have to work as hard if not harder in Oz to have a decent standard of life.

Hi, i am new to this site and am confused by all the negativity towards Australia. My husband has been offered a job in Melbourne and we are keen to relocate. We have 3 children, 7,11 and 14. Have been loking at the Mount Eliza area, does anyone have any good advice on this as an area to live or anyother good areas for a family newly relocating?

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi, i am new to this site and am confused by all the negativity towards Australia. My husband has been offered a job in Melbourne and we are keen to relocate. We have 3 children, 7,11 and 14. Have been loking at the Mount Eliza area, does anyone have any good advice on this as an area to live or anyother good areas for a family newly relocating?

Lizz I answered your other thread re schools but please don't let the negativity put you off, there are always people out there who aren't going to be happy.

The best thing is not to compare it with the UK, realise that you still have to work, sometimes a lot harder, realise that it does rain and winters in Melbourne can be cold although not as cold as the UK. Some things will cost you more but others will cost you less.

It's nice to read the negative reviews as it makes you more aware that it isn't utopia. I can say though that there are lots of PIO members who are loving their new life in Melbourne the only problem is they are too busy to come on and tell you all about it.

We lived in Melbourne for 8 years before moving to Cairns and there are some beautiful places.

Guest guest59177
Maybe because it is not A BIT like the glossy programmes on TV and because the weather is not what they expected, either to hot or even poor wet weather for a few months when they thought it was sun most of the year.

And the main thing is a lot of people realize that the grass is not always greener and you have to work as hard if not harder in Oz to have a decent standard of life.

Actually, Sydney with grey clouds, a light drizzle, and a cool refreshing wind caressing your hair is something to die for :wubclub: :wubclub: :wubclub:

I don't remember any glossy TV programmes in the 70's. All we had was 'Skippy', 'The Magic Boomerang', & 'The Adventures of Bazza Mackenzie.'

I thought all Aussies were like Dennis Lillee, Rod Marsh, Jeff Thompson & Ian Chappell.

I worked with a few uncouth blokes who had visited Sydney in the 1950's and they did scare me with their tales of 'the six o clock swill' and gangs of 'Pommie bashers' but it was all BS. Within a couple of hours of disembarking from the ship in Fremantle I knew that.

Of course the grass isn't greener over here. Too much sun and not enough rain ensures that!

I went to Sydney this arvo, funny really because I live about a kilometre away from the CBD but I hardly ever go there. Anyway, it was like being in any big city, possibly more like a US one than England because the streets are mostly in a grid pattern with skyscrapers towering overhead.

To me it was just pleasant, sunny day, bit of a cool wind, masses of people of course, but very hard for me to think anyone could hate it!

Archived