100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

Ah well Steve, here's to a speedy recovery.

We packed up our furniture a month ago and I have come back for one more month on this drillship before I resign and make the move.

My wife is at home with the kids and the bare minimum of stuff in the house, inflatable beds, inflatable couch, old 15" tv.

We are under no impression and never have been that this was going to be easy. After all, we are moving to a different country.

The worst case scenarios that people go on about have never happened and everything is failing into place at the right time.

Bring it on!!

thanks, i've only been here a week and i was worried my boss who sponsored me would freak but he's fine, told me to take time off and not to worry,

well at least i can enjoy this weather we're having, yeah your right its the worse case scenario, doesnt mean its gonna happen.

good luck with the move im sure all will go smoothly

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when read some stuff om here you would think all those aussie would live in tents n be riddled with disease as housing is expensive as is healthcare, maybe uk immigrants ask for too much??

Do immigrants from poorer countries moan as some from the uk?

Guest guest59177
[snip]...Do immigrants from poorer countries moan as some from the uk?

The Sydney train system is a godsend. Period.

Now you understand????

When I was out in Perth I found that food prices were the same however if you bought 2 chicken breast you got 2 huge pieces of actual meat. In the uk you get 2 little pieces of water filled fillets!

Electric is slightly higher but petrols way cheaper. Its swings and roundabouts. Also you dont pay council tax when you rent or water rates (not in Perth anyway) and theres way more stuff to do outside thats free. In my opinion, the main difference is they lifestyle you have, they are so laid back and there are so many more opportunities for jobs, training and kids education.

Guest guest59177
hey lepto have you been to oz before? ive forgot if ive already asked or not

Yup, I visited Sydney last year for 1.5 months. Absolutely LUUUUUUUUUUUVED every second of it!!!! If it were in my power, I would never have left. Now I am wishing my external checks would complete already and visa grant finalized so I can be on my way...

Guest guest59177
i take that as a no then!

A thumping, resounding, big no. And those that do are either fibbers and/or hypocrites, fashionistas, or should be sent packing back to where they belong. Remember though that constructive criticism is different from insufferable whining...

Last time I went to a dentist in the UK I was charged £160 - £40 for a check up, £40 for an Xray, £40 for a clean, and £40 admin as I was a new patient!! Haven't been back in 5 years!

No wonder they all drive Jags and BM's!

Treble it in Oz, I never ever had any problem finding and NHS dentist in the UK, WHY do they charge so much for dental care in Oz :eek: why can't the Government regulate the outrageous charges, I paid 550 dollars for a check up clean and 3 fillings, cost me £45 quid in the UK with 2 fillings.

Guest Been there
Treble it in Oz, I never ever had any problem finding and NHS dentist in the UK, WHY do they charge so much for dental care in Oz :eek: why can't the Government regulate the outrageous charges, I paid 550 dollars for a check up clean and 3 fillings, cost me £45 quid in the UK with 2 fillings.

They definitely saw you coming.

Guest Been there
there must be some dentists that do it cheaper than others?

Yup. I used to provide red wine for mine and he'd provide the cheese for tasting after my 6 mthly checkup (never had to do anything). Gave up alcohol 18 mths back so alas no more tasting sessions at the surgery.

Do you not have medical insurance?

Checkup

X-Ray

2 Fillings

HCF covered it and I only paid the gap of $85

I'll have you know i have lovely teeth!! :shocked: lol only joking, yeah ill def be going before/if i move. the last few times ive been everythings fine, except my wisdom teeth give me a bit of trouble now and again

Honestly get it sorted before you go, dental work in Oz is really really expensive.

Haven't I got to be over 60 to qualify for that? Perhaps I've not been 'pro-active' enough in searching out my entitlements?

I do not qualify for Centrelink (dole) because I have my own income and assets - from rent, pension, dividends.

No, you don't have to be over 60 for a health care card. Have a snoop around the Centrelink website for eligibility requirements. It's based on income. I was eligible even though receiving a superannuation pension (not huge) and not old enough to qualify for supplementary age pension. There is an assets test too, but owning our own house here didn't preclude.

Guest Cinderalla
I detest how inaccurate and alarmist information is spread by viral people posting and reposting links to stupid sites.

1. Food is cheaper in Australia (I have the online shopping summaries to prove it!!!) if you buy fresh and make things yourself. If you want to live off ready-meals and hideous food then it probably is more expensive, but in that case you'll probably die early from malnutrition or heart disease anyway.

2. Happy people rarely post on forums that are geared towards unhappy people.

If you don't like the sound of Oz then don't move there, easy fixed ;)

Nicely put JoandJon! The beauty of Australia is the weather, lifestyle and importantly the HAPPY go lucky people. Please, if you don't like the sound of it, don't come. Last thing Australia needs is more whinging poms.

Nicely put JoandJon! The beauty of Australia is the weather, lifestyle and importantly the HAPPY go lucky people. Please, if you don't like the sound of it, don't come. Last thing Australia needs is more whinging poms.

totally agree, i love everything about this place, its very hard to explain it in words how much this place suits me, ok its not for every one and i try and keep a realistic head on it but, considering i just had to be rushed into hospital have an op and i'm still so optimistic must be enough to convince some of the doubters

I have been here 7 years and am happy enough, Australia has been good to me and I cant complain.

Sure the prices have went up but so has my wages and overall I think I am better off than I was living in the UK 8 years ago, I met my wife over here an Aussie lass born & bred but her father was from Dublin and her mother from Scotland so its not as if I'm a bloody foreigner or anything.

I originally came on my own with a WHV and £3000 in my pocket, met some great friends from Ireland/UK and moved into a modern townhouse with 3 others. Got myself a decent paying job with a company car etc and an opportunity to travel the country, decided I wanted to stay so they sponsored me on a 457. Was making reasonable money at the time $40 ph and if I worked after 6pm and weekends it was $110 ph and I managed to save $42K in 2 years plus I bought a speed boat. Was having a great old time and all my friends were applying for PR so I decided that I might as well give it a bash, lodged in October 2008 and went out to celebrate and that's where I met the wife. A few bumps in the road with the old processing fiasco but was granted PR in April 2009, bought my own house there about a year ago and a moved to a similar but slightly better paying job. I enjoy the outdoor life of boating & fishing and a bit of 4WD, sure I work hard all week and sometimes the weekends but I try to take advantage of the natural attraction of this great country as best I can.

People have their opinions on everything they feel is an issue with this country but there is always a counter opinion, why come from a foreign land and want to change it? Sure its working perfectly well so far.

Guest Been there
I have been here 7 years and am happy enough, Australia has been good to me and I cant complain.

Sure the prices have went up but so has my wages and overall I think I am better off than I was living in the UK 8 years ago, I met my wife over here an Aussie lass born & bred but her father was from Dublin and her mother from Scotland so its not as if I'm a bloody foreigner or anything.

I originally came on my own with a WHV and £3000 in my pocket, met some great friends from Ireland/UK and moved into a modern townhouse with 3 others. Got myself a decent paying job with a company car etc and an opportunity to travel the country, decided I wanted to stay so they sponsored me on a 457. Was making reasonable money at the time $40 ph and if I worked after 6pm and weekends it was $110 ph and I managed to save $42K in 2 years plus I bought a speed boat. Was having a great old time and all my friends were applying for PR so I decided that I might as well give it a bash, lodged in October 2008 and went out to celebrate and that's where I met the wife. A few bumps in the road with the old processing fiasco but was granted PR in April 2009, bought my own house there about a year ago and a moved to a similar but slightly better paying job. I enjoy the outdoor life of boating & fishing and a bit of 4WD, sure I work hard all week and sometimes the weekends but I try to take advantage of the natural attraction of this great country as best I can.

People have their opinions on everything they feel is an issue with this country but there is always a counter opinion, why come from a foreign land and want to change it? Sure its working perfectly well so far.

So many poms arrive and get upset because it's not the same as blighty. Why did they leave?

Archived