100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

People I have gone through another forum in which people have been really against migrating to AUstralia because its one of the most expensive countries in the world.

Aftr reading that forum I have been very disturbed and depressed because of the cost of living in Aus.they say that the COL is way higher than in US or UK...Is it true?

They also say that on ur salary the tac is 30 to 40% ??? Oh my God!!!

Thats pissing me off...Please help me !!!

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest59177

The NUMBER 1 reason to NOT migrate to Australia is that you don't know NUFFINK about the country amd get misled by misinformation you found on the internet. When we were checking out a new apartment we were going to buy here in Karachi, one of the other tenants told us HORROR stories how they didn't have any water. Turned out that 24 hours water supply is the hallmark of those apartments. Sometimes people will crib just for the heck of it.

The NUMBER 1 reason to NOT migrate to Australia is that you don't know NUFFINK about the country amd get misled by misinformation you found on the internet. When we were checking out a new apartment we were going to buy here in Karachi, one of the other tenants told us HORROR stories how they didn't have any water. Turned out that 24 hours water supply is the hallmark of those apartments. Sometimes people will crib just for the heck of it.

let me tell you...That forum had 100's of 1000's of people who said things negatively about moving there..I dont understand why everyone there was talking about tax food rent cars medicare ...not even a single post that was positive...I am amazed ....

Just for an example look at this one:

Affordable city in Australia: 0

Housing cost in Australia: Complete joke

Grocery in Australia: Pay more and get less in quality and quantity

Life Style, Beach Culture: please pay $8.80 per hour for parking first to visit any beach

Education: Complete crap

Racism? Yes, everywhere

I'm fed up of reading stories of people needing to earn 200K+ to survive etc. Two years ago me and my fiancee were pulling in about 100K between us and still affording to go out for dinner 5 nights a week, having holidays and a comfortable life.

Quote from city of sydney website:- The median average income of the City workforce is $1085 per week, or an annual income of $56,570. Nearly one-fifth (18%) of the workforce has an income of more than $2,000 per week and a further fifth receives between $1,300 and $2,000 per week.

If all these people survive off this than why can't we.

I detest how inaccurate and alarmist information is spread by viral people posting and reposting links to stupid sites.

1. Food is cheaper in Australia (I have the online shopping summaries to prove it!!!) if you buy fresh and make things yourself. If you want to live off ready-meals and hideous food then it probably is more expensive, but in that case you'll probably die early from malnutrition or heart disease anyway.

2. Happy people rarely post on forums that are geared towards unhappy people.

If you don't like the sound of Oz then don't move there, easy fixed ;)

I'm fed up of reading stories of people needing to earn 200K+ to survive etc. Two years ago me and my fiancee were pulling in about 100K between us and still affording to go out for dinner 5 nights a week, having holidays and a comfortable life.

Quote from city of sydney website:- The median average income of the City workforce is $1085 per week, or an annual income of $56,570. Nearly one-fifth (18%) of the workforce has an income of more than $2,000 per week and a further fifth receives between $1,300 and $2,000 per week.

If all these people survive off this than why can't we.

So true !!!!

We're going over on one salary (My hubby is looking forward to being a kept man for a while), and I think we'll live very well on my salary alone (which is nowhere near $150k!!!) until he finds a job he WANTS to do!

My mum and dad live very comfortably on ~$65k a year (and they have two properties and a small mortgage on one). OK they don't eat out very often, and don't 'do' lots of overseas trips...... but still!

To move or not to move that is another question ..My sister has already applied for skill assesment ...

The point here is why every single person there is saying BAD about australia..

Another post :

Australia is anywhere between 1.8 to 3 times more expensive than Canada

Australia is anywhere 2 to 4 times more expensive than US ..

I am leaving, I am leaving in 2 weeks..lahlahlahlah...going to be in North America - the changes are already happening:

1. I can send my kids to private school instead of crappy public schools here

2. Paying 2% mortgage instead of 8% in Australia

3. Buying a house for $500K (4 bedrooms, 2 garages, 3 levels, beautiful neighbourhood)

Here, I am paying $4000 in rent (50 years old house, 3 bedroom, freezing and hot, no garage)

4. No more stupid tax in Australia

5. No more crappy service

6. No more dealing with Aussies here that have been brain-washed by the Government that we are the best country in the world

7. Much more business opportunities, hotels are 1/2 price than Australia,

8. No more "Most expensive grocery" in the world

I am so happy to leave Oz, and all of you should follow..this country (which is my home country) is just a crap place.

JUST look at this post...

Unbelievably discouraging

Stop Hia.

Just don't move to Australia.

Sorted.

Thanks for the very lame suggestion...

I just want to clear out the ambiguity that is goin on in my head for a while...

Can somebody debate on the tax rate that AUS charge on one saary...Is it really 30 ro 40%%%%% ??? Ehhhh

Please discuss...

Simples hia - don't move there then. No big loss to us lot :biggrin:

Have you not been told the most basic of rules for internet research? You need at least three websites to all be saying the same thing before you can really trust information. I'm guessing not. If the other forum is so negative, so what? Why insist that they are right on this forum, where not everyone is negative? Otherwise, just go a join the other forum and leave us non-negatives alone, as tbh we don't really want to hear the negativity and mis-information.

I just want to clear out the ambiguity that is goin on in my head for a while...

Can somebody debate on the tax rate that AUS charge on one saary...Is it really 30 ro 40%%%%% ??? Ehhhh

Please discuss...

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

(and it wasn't a lame suggestion, anymore than your panic-mongering 'Australia is awful, you're all wrong, the other website is the Messiah' was)

Guest guest59177

Please discuss...

Unfortunately you will need a PhD in economics and accounting to understand any of it. No really. Go on Google and type in 'Australia Tax Rate 2011'. Then see for yourself first what kind of tax brackets there are. Take a look at seek.com.au and see what kind of salaries can be earned in you sister's profession. Also search for government benefits australia. Just to give an example, if you are a PR migrant with a child, the government gives you a generous weekly PAYMENT RIGHT AFTER LANDING in Australia. Search for things like quality of life in Australia. Don't take our word on it really, see for yourself. Good luck.

Oh everyone - guess what?

England has been taken over by flying pigs. Really! The tax rate it has just been announced, is going to rise to over 65% (65.4%) for those earning over £20K a year. And they are abolishing rubbish collections, whilst not lowering council tax.

Must be true, eh hia? - its on the interwebnet.....:clown-rolleyes:

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

(and it wasn't a lame suggestion, anymore than your panic-mongering 'Australia is awful, you're all wrong, the other website is the Messiah' was)

PositivePixie, sorry if im being rude but for every big move you need to hav a lot of research and moving from one country to another is a hell big of a step...eaving everything behind and very blind about what wi happen nex, you should be having all the +ives and -ives of the other country...

Austraia may hav gud points, but whtever I heard If im sharing with poms here is not a big offense i guess...or is it???

I want to clarify the doubts that that forum has built in me...

Dont think tax is too bad myself. I'm paying about 33% in the UK once you take N.I. into consideration as well. Don't forget its compulsory for your employer to pay 9% superannuation on top of your salary as well.

Tax rates 2011-12

The following rates for 2011-12 apply from 1 July 2011.

Taxable income

Tax on this income

0 - $6,000

Nil

$6,001 - $37,000

15c for each $1 over $6,000

$37,001 - $80,000

$4,650 plus 30c for each $1 over $37,000

$80,001 - $180,000

$17,550 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 and over

$54,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Guest guest59177
Oh everyone - guess what?

England has been taken over by flying pigs. Really! The tax rate it has just been announced, is going to rise to over 65% (65.4%) for those earning over £20K a year. And they are abolishing rubbish collections, whilst not lowering council tax.

Must be true, eh hia? - its on the interwebnet.....:clown-rolleyes:

HEH!!! For a moment there PositivePixie, for one tiny moment... :swoon:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Go there and check whether its suitable for your or not .

I dont care how many negative posts were there about australia. i will surely move and will see how will i survive there.

you will find tons of articles regarding "100 Reasons why not to move to USA/CANADA/UK/FRANCE/AFGHANISTAN"

Alternatively you will find 1000 reasons why Australia is best country ....

If australia is that bad then why its 4 cities are listed in MORE LIVE ABLE CITIES of the world. including Melbourne standing 1st ....

Its better not to waste your time on these articles.

For example as a non-resident, I think you are not entitled to many benefits, better check that out first.

We met a family from Berkerly last week, and she could not get anything in terms of benefits in Australia.

I have found out that you may find you will need a car eventually as public service is NOT available everywhere....Austraia is a big country, transportation shud have been better if this is the case... You may find insurance cost much higher for you as a non-resident.Also on banking, Australia has the worst banking system in terms of customer service and rip off their customers.....

Maybe the best thing you and your sister should do is visit Australia to see if its suitiable for you or not, its a big decision to move to another country if you are so undecided that its for you.

We are not undecided...yet absurd possts and threads may make you think for a moment.

For example as a non-resident, I think you are not entitled to many benefits, better check that out first.

We met a family from Berkerly last week, and she could not get anything in terms of benefits in Australia.

I have found out that you may find you will need a car eventually as public service is NOT available everywhere....Austraia is a big country, transportation shud have been better if this is the case... You may find insurance cost much higher for you as a non-resident.Also on banking, Australia has the worst banking system in terms of customer service and rip off their customers.....

Benefits depends upon VISA subclass, may be they were on TR or provisional visa ...

let me tell you...That forum had 100's of 1000's of people who said things negatively about moving there..I dont understand why everyone there was talking about tax food rent cars medicare ...not even a single post that was positive...I am amazed ....

Which website is it?

Btw, tax is roughly 26% of take home pay.