Guest guest36187

12 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

There is a requirement to submit a Non Resident CGT return if you dispose of a residential property in the UK when not resident.

The filing deadline for submitting a NRCGT return is 30 days from the date the sale completes.

This is to be distinguished from the submission of an annual tax return under Self Assessment.

You can lodge a tax return online using commercial software - or (dare I suggest) - a tax accountant.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan, we have this well in hand, having been very well advised at an early stage in our planning :D  you may well remember us! The frustration has all been caused by the UK tax office behaving in a fairly inefficient and inconsiderate way.  It is totally irritating to be advised to file online by the very people who have decided to prevent you from doing so!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

Thanks Alan, we have this well in hand, having been very well advised at an early stage in our planning :D  you may well remember us! The frustration has all been caused by the UK tax office behaving in a fairly inefficient and inconsiderate way.  It is totally irritating to be advised to file online by the very people who have decided to prevent you from doing so!

IMHO the UK tax office is generally not as inefficient as is being portrayed - but you have to know how to play the game.

For example, it is well known that non residents cannot file a UK tax return online via the HMRC website:

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return

(scroll down to "When you can't use the service")

Sometimes it is best to pay a professional to ensure you get it right.   IMHO!

Best regards.

20 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

IMHO the UK tax office is generally not as inefficient as is being portrayed - but you have to know how to play the game.

For example, it is well known that non residents cannot file a UK tax return online via the HMRC website:

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return

(scroll down to "When you can't use the service")

Sometimes it is best to pay a professional to ensure you get it right.   IMHO!

Best regards.

As I have said, we were aware of the pitfalls, having paid for the advice of a professional (that would be you) well in advance of our move. Rest assured we treat your report like the Holy Grail, and refer to it often. 

My point was that the UK tax office are infuriating primarily because they offer advice that you know to be incorrect! . I also think that sending confidential information to the incorrect address twice in three months is unforgivable, particularly when they are constantly reminding their clients to be careful with personal data! 

Professional tax accountants are, as we all know, invaluable. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you so much! Will check it out online. Not sure whether to do it now as unsure when my next visit will be as daughter talking about coming home this year sometime for a holiday. Wonder how it works when you already have a  bank account with them ? Will see what I can find out. 

Hi,.    I also opened my Westpac account in London and used it for five years before we made the move over here. We called in to Westpac when we were in London eighteen months ago and asked about transferring money when the time came to sell our house. They opened a sterling account for us so that we could pay money in in sterling which they then transferred to our dollar account at a decent rate without charging a fee. Very helpful staff.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. Im visiting  in London in next couple of weeks so will see about getting in touch then. 

The UK banks charge exorbitant  fees and very bad exchange rates and I have previously been wary of online forex firms although I know many people here use them. 

Thanks again. 

5 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you very much. Im visiting  in London in next couple of weeks so will see about getting in touch then. 

The UK banks charge exorbitant  fees and very bad exchange rates and I have previously been wary of online forex firms although I know many people here use them. 

Thanks again. 

I should tell you thqt i now use transferwise because I thinm the exchange rates are marginally better - but for the bigger transfers, i was much happier using a bank. Westpac is near Threadneedle street, is on a street named for a spice but I can't remember which one - Cayenne street, something like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

I should tell you thqt i now use transferwise because I thinm the exchange rates are marginally better - but for the bigger transfers, i was much happier using a bank. Westpac is near Threadneedle street, is on a street named for a spice but I can't remember which one - Cayenne street, something like that.

Westpac Migrant Banking in London is at Camomile Court, 23 Camomile St, London EC3A 7LL - I recall this is near to the gherkin building, in St Mary Axe.

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

Maybe Scary Spice Street?

We too opened an Westpac account by just walking into their branch in London. Very helpful and you get a human to contact for transfers or any other issues. They also opened a AUD savings account which pays 3% interest (considerably more than any uk bank).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Thanks again. 

You can join /open online if you can’t get to a branch. That’s what I did 

Ga'day future cobbers', ( just getting the hang of the lingo  )

At long last our email from CPV team to submit docs....... but a cautionary tale..... 

We had our medicals on 25th April, my wife sailed through, I on the other hand failed the Blood Pressure test with quite a high reading, well over the 160/100 I was told was the acceptable level and that is still way higher than the recommended 120/80. I'm only saying this because Blood Pressure can be a "hidden problem". We cycle and walk regularly, We don't drink or smoke and we eat loads of fresh fruit and veg and overall maintain a healthy diet.We are retired so no work stress to blame. I admit to being a few ( but only a few ) pounds over weight. I rarely visit the Doctor and feel fit and well. The Blood Pressure failure was a big big shock. Since the medical I've been to my local Doctor and the readings were much lower but still high. If you google "high blood pressure" they advise you to stop smoking...stop drinking...get plenty of exercise and eat healthily......   All advice I adhere to anyway.... So what can be done?.... well, I'm loosing those few extra pounds for a start. I was told it could all be down to "White coat syndrome" and I must admit to feeling apprehensive when visiting the Doctor or Dentist ( but who doesn't ) For the Medical we were up early followed by 120 mile drive to the Sutton Coalfield Spire Hospital... perhaps the M6 is to blame.

I only tell this story so other Visa hopefuls won't get caught out, if you still have a few months wait I'd get a Blood Pressure test done now just to check.... for £20 or so you can buy your own monitor to keep an eye on it yourself.  That's what I've done and checking at home I'm below the acceptable levels, but the ball is rolling now so I've got to revisit Doctor in a few days and he has to email readings to the hospital where I had my medical so they can then send them on to immigration.... so much easier to have passed first time. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

MikenC if you have 2nd Payment requests please let me know. My sister ask centrelink How long she gets AOS acceptance letter ??? And they get angry they have so many applications and can't tell how long so terrible just say in progress 

7 hours ago, Ray and Geri said:

At long last our email from CPV team to submit docs....... but a cautionary tale..... 

We had our medicals on 25th April, my wife sailed through, I on the other hand failed the Blood Pressure test with quite a high reading, well over the 160/100 I was told was the acceptable level and that is still way higher than the recommended 120/80. I'm only saying this because Blood Pressure can be a "hidden problem". We cycle and walk regularly, We don't drink or smoke and we eat loads of fresh fruit and veg and overall maintain a healthy diet.We are retired so no work stress to blame. I admit to being a few ( but only a few ) pounds over weight. I rarely visit the Doctor and feel fit and well. The Blood Pressure failure was a big big shock. Since the medical I've been to my local Doctor and the readings were much lower but still high. If you google "high blood pressure" they advise you to stop smoking...stop drinking...get plenty of exercise and eat healthily......   All advice I adhere to anyway.... So what can be done?.... well, I'm loosing those few extra pounds for a start. I was told it could all be down to "White coat syndrome" and I must admit to feeling apprehensive when visiting the Doctor or Dentist ( but who doesn't ) For the Medical we were up early followed by 120 mile drive to the Sutton Coalfield Spire Hospital... perhaps the M6 is to blame.

I only tell this story so other Visa hopefuls won't get caught out, if you still have a few months wait I'd get a Blood Pressure test done now just to check.... for £20 or so you can buy your own monitor to keep an eye on it yourself.  That's what I've done and checking at home I'm below the acceptable levels, but the ball is rolling now so I've got to revisit Doctor in a few days and he has to email readings to the hospital where I had my medical so they can then send them on to immigration.... so much easier to have passed first time. 

That's why it's called the silent killer, very rare to have side effects with high pressure so most people have no idea they are potentially walking around with a time bomb. So important to get it checked regularly 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tidang said:

MikenC if you have 2nd Payment requests please let me know. My sister ask centrelink How long she gets AOS acceptance letter ??? And they get angry they have so many applications and can't tell how long so terrible just say in progress 

@Tidang the following has been taken from the reply to the test email asking for processing date. You will see that the department is aware of delays in AOS and that people will have to be patient and not phone them up. 

ASSURANCE OF SUPPORT (AoS)
Please refer to the Department of Human Services (DHS) (Centrelink) which is the agency responsible. The Department is aware that there is some delay in the processing of AoS by DHS. Appropriate allowance will be made for this. Do not request DHS to provide evidence to the Department that you have lodged your AoS unless specifically requested by your case officer. Such requests significantly impact the ability of DHS to process the large number of AoS applications on hand. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ray and Geri said:

Thanks for your help. Similar happened to me. Mine was about 150/100 and they said it was high but acceptable and gave me a letter to check it out with my doctor. I think my problem is ‘white coat anxiety. If they told you your reading was acceptable why are you having to submit more readings to them?

3 hours ago, ant111 said:

Thanks for your help. Similar happened to me. Mine was about 150/100 and they said it was high but acceptable and gave me a letter to check it out with my doctor. I think my problem is ‘white coat anxiety. If they told you your reading was acceptable why are you having to submit more readings to them?

My husband was already taking medicine for high blood pressure when we went for our medicals. The doctor took his blood pressure and then five minutes later he took it a second time - he took the lower reading, which passed and ignored the higher one which he said was bound to be caused by stress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ant111 said:

My readings were only below the acceptable when I got back home and  got my own monitor,  we have a Blood Pressure monitor in our health centre that you can just go in and use... the readings are then added to your medical history...it's these readings that are below the acceptable level....but as I said in my post, the ball is rolling now and my Doctor has to send these readings back to The Spire where my Visa Medical was carried out....  It's now a case of getting in to see my Doctor and getting it sorted out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimboslice said:

looks like we are going to have to get a third assurer

Just a reminder to consider all the permutations ... A 3rd asurer might not help, because their children/partners are also considered in the calculation. It might be enough to remove the lowest income person from the AoS, leaving the 2 highest income earners on the AoS.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thomas1965 said:

Just a reminder to consider all the permutations ... A 3rd asurer might not help, because their children/partners are also considered in the calculation. It might be enough to remove the lowest income person from the AoS, leaving the 2 highest income earners on the AoS.

We were thinking of this option..just need to find friends or family!  Or maybe complete strangers.  Our original assurers were our son in law and daughter and their 7 children....really not an option now as daughter doesn’t work..she’s looking after the children! :)