Guest guest36187

3 minutes ago, Ollie1234 said:

My heart is breaking for this family. This is utterly inexcusable. Why on earth issue the visa in the first place? I can't begin to imagine what the family is going through. 😞

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8833015/Letters-grandad-DESPERATE-Australia-live-final-years-family.html

There's something that doesn't make sense here. How could he get issued with a "bridging visa" if he's in the UK? 

I wonder if he applied for a Parents Visa while in Australia, got his bridging visa, then thought he could just toddle back to the UK to sell his house and settle up - not realising that would render the bridging visa invalid.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

There's something that doesn't make sense here. How could he get issued with a "bridging visa" if he's in the UK? 

I wonder if he applied for a Parents Visa while in Australia, got his bridging visa, then thought he could just toddle back to the UK to sell his house and settle up - not realising that would render the bridging visa invalid.  

Definitely odd.  Probably got a tourist visa then all tourist travel was stopped I should imagine though he's not doing himself any favours by promoting the medical reasons for him moving, they could equally play against him in the visa medical.  His family could go back and look after him though, no such bans in reverse

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alan Collett said:

Yes, no BV will be granted if outside Australia.

Either he has a BVB, or is trying to get back to Australia on a visitor visa - which won't be an option at this time.

Best regards.

Theyre letting him in apparently.  Emotional blackmail obviously works!

• Like 1

Yet another reason why i think they will look at discontinuing  804 -   there’s been a few stories where people have come in on 804 and when they finally reach processing they fail the Medicals and are told to leave . This then leads to media Outcry but people arrive on this visa  knowing that it carries no guarantees and In fact costs Australia a lot of money in the costs involved with looking after aged and ill people. I’m surprised if he was given a BVB after his first arrival in May  this year as the borders were already closed?  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Yet another reason why i think they will look at discontinuing  804 -   there’s been a few stories where people have come in on 804 and when they finally reach processing they fail the Medicals and are told to leave . This then leads to media Outcry but people arrive on this visa  knowing that it carries no guarantees and In fact costs Australia a lot of money in the costs involved with looking after aged and ill people. I’m surprised if he was given a BVB after his first arrival in May  this year as the borders were already closed?  

A subclass 602 (Medical Treatment) visa is the go to strategy when onshore subclass 804 visa applicants fail the medical examination.

Best regards.

1 minute ago, Alan Collett said:

A subclass 602 (Medical Treatment) visa is the go to strategy when onshore subclass 804 visa applicants fail the medical examination.

Best regards.

Thank you Alan- but I’m still confused as to how he got a BVB if the borders were closed and only PR and citizens were allowed to return ? 

Just now, LindaH27 said:

Thank you Alan- but I’m still confused as to how he got a BVB if the borders were closed and only PR and citizens were allowed to return ? 

I doubt that he did, to be honest.

I interpret the story as follows:

*   Granted a BVA when application lodged in May 2020.

*   Decided to depart Australia to return to the UK.

*   Now trying to get back to Australia and couldn't get a visitor visa - or couldn't get permission to arrive on his already granted visitor visa - until today.

Does that make sense in the context of the article in the DM?

This is what it says in The Australian newspaper - nothing here about what type of BV he has/had (which perhaps isn't surprising as journos generally aren't across the detail):

Mr Ward, a British citizen, was granted a bridging visa in May while his Aged Parent visa was processed. He subsequently sold his house and car and had been due to board a flight from London to Sydney on Sunday afternoon.

His doctor believes he is now at risk of a stroke if the matter is left unresolved for a prolonged time, as he is experiencing significant anxiety and depression because of the ongoing saga.

Mr Ward had applied for an exemption to travel to Australia, as required under COVID-19 restrictions, but was denied by government bureaucrats four days before his flight was to take off, despite having the bridging visa.

Best regards.

3 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

*   Now trying to get back to Australia and couldn't get a visitor visa - or couldn't get permission to arrive on his already granted visitor visa - until today.

This is what it says in The Australian newspaper - nothing here about what type of BV he has/had (which perhaps isn't surprising as journos generally aren't across the detail):

Mr Ward, a British citizen, was granted a bridging visa in May while his Aged Parent visa was processed. He subsequently sold his house and car and had been due to board a flight from London to Sydney on Sunday afternoon.

His doctor believes he is now at risk of a stroke if the matter is left unresolved for a prolonged time, as he is experiencing significant anxiety and depression because of the ongoing saga.

Mr Ward had applied for an exemption to travel to Australia, as required under COVID-19 restrictions, but was denied by government bureaucrats four days before his flight was to take off, despite having the bridging visa.

Best regards.

In the few days since he learnt he couldn’t fly (bearing in mind up until that date he thought all was good to the point of selling everything) his doctor has managed to diagnose he has anxiety, depression and may even have stroke on the way!

2 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Best regards.

Thanks again Alan - as you say the “power of the media” !! 

Probably every parent who has applied for a visa in the last few years could argue that the long waits are contributing to problems with their physical and mental health as stress  and anxiety definitely cause big problems !! 

Now the gentleman concerned just needs to see if he’s lucky enough to get a flight as well - unless media attention helps there too! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

In the few days since he learnt he couldn’t fly (bearing in mind up until that date he thought all was good to the point of selling everything) his doctor has managed to diagnose he has anxiety, depression and may even have stroke on the way!

And all these ills will fade away in the spring time sunshine of Australia!    😉

We do what we have to do ...

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/parent-visa-processing-timelines-the-gory-details/

Might be of interest to some - following receipt of information from the Department ...

Best regards.

So informative, thank you Alan.

About 'raising similar level of public awareness'

Do online petitions with the govt work? 🤔

Edited by Arti

11 minutes ago, Arti said:

So informative, thank you Alan.

Looks like public outcry is the only way for this to get any attention🤔

Do online petitions with the govt work?

Try asking your local MP to raise in Parliament. Seem to remember someone on here doing that and it did get raised. Was a few years ago though.