Guest guest36187

We originally applied for a 103 and then switched to a 173 (Temporary CPV) application. They took the original date of lodgement of our 103 when allocating a CO, so yes, the time spent waiting on the 103 was taken into consideration. If you submitted your 103 early 2010 then I expect it would not be long before you are allocated a case officer.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers mike, would you guys suggest that the inlaws use an agent or is it worth having a go yourself..thanks

G'Day again

I second everything Val says about immigration agents. We did it ourselves (after a rather negative interview with an agent in Sydney), and it was no real problem – just some tedious form-filling that you have to do methodically, checking every step. In fact, some members of this forum have reported serious shortcomings with some agents (such as failures in communication).

However, one agent has had much more positive comments – George Lombard. If you want a bit of initial guidance, you could do a lot worse than have a phone conversation with him or one of his staff. This could be especially useful if there are any potential complications – eg, with health, family situation, etc. You'll find contact details if you scroll back a month or two on this thread.

By the way, do look at (and in due course register with) the "tracker" website run by Steve (Sandch) of this parish – see http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php.

Mike

Does anyone have any knowledge or idea ... what the time waiting for a CO is likely to be. The application will be lodged by the end of the month.

thanks in anticipation.

G"day

To answer this specific question, the waiting period for a CO seems to be something like 14 months. For a more up-to-date view of the (ever-changing) situation, look at (and perhaps register with) the "tracker" website run by Steve (Sandch) of this parish – see http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php.

Good luck, Mike

Guest ovini

Hi All,

I am in the process of applying for CPV for my parents and have a few questions that I need your help with.

I would prefer if I can apply for contributory aged pared temp visa(884) for them from Australia and have them bridged till it gets processed so that I can get medicals done from Australia and avoid having to spend on tickets and accomodation etc to send them back in middle. However in applying for the tourist visa(676) there is no guarantee if they will impose condition 8503 or not. If it is there then I will have no option but to apply for 173 before they depart to Australia and have them return at the end of the stay and come back on tourist visa again or when the CPV comes through.

In which case it might be better to lodge 173 and then apply for tourist visa for 12 months and hope they dont impose 8503 on it so that we can have it extended from here.. both Parents are over 65 so eligible for aged parent visa.

Many thanks in advance,

Vini

If you have come across similar situations can you please advise what is the best way to go about this?

Hi All,

I am in the process of applying for CPV for my parents and have a few questions that I need your help with.

I would prefer if I can apply for contributory aged pared temp visa(884) for them from Australia and have them bridged till it gets processed so that I can get medicals done from Australia and avoid having to spend on tickets and accomodation etc to send them back in middle. However in applying for the tourist visa(676) there is no guarantee if they will impose condition 8503 or not. If it is there then I will have no option but to apply for 173 before they depart to Australia and have them return at the end of the stay and come back on tourist visa again or when the CPV comes through.

In which case it might be better to lodge 173 and then apply for tourist visa for 12 months and hope they dont impose 8503 on it so that we can have it extended from here.. both Parents are over 65 so eligible for aged parent visa.

Many thanks in advance,

Vini

If you have come across similar situations can you please advise what is the best way to go about this?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that your parents have to be onshore to apply for this visa anyway- & you can apply for a 976 tourist visaa- however it may depend on their country of origin?? are you talking about an application from the UK or a HR country??? it might be wise to clarify with a Mara rep.

Hallo out there

I am just filling out Form 80 - I have a while to go yet but as I cant get my medicals done until I get a CO I thought I would fill this form in. I have a query about Question 10 'Do you currently have or ha ve you ever had other passports (If more than one give details at Part J) - I have 3 other passports so I have listed them on J. The next part of the questions is 'If the passport document only shows one name, write that name in the Family box (below) - Two of my passports have my current name. The first passport has my married name. My query is, when they say 'one name' do they mean one name on each passport or what I think it means is the same name of each of the 3 passports?

Thanks for any help

Pete and Marg - how is the packing going?

Moira

Hi Moira

Good to see you are making the move at long last. Had to check my form for the answer but they have changed the form so checked on the immi site. It is to do with tracing your history so just list the documents with all the details and put a small explanation about the difference. In your case "this was my married name but ........ in ????? and took new name in ......." presume you would also include documents to back up the statement. Given names are something that I have always taken to be any other names you are known by ie an alias. We had fun and games with our family whereabouts, just said what we knew and left it at that and it was accepted. I do not think they are too bothered if it is honest and logical.

Packing is going well, last day at work yeterday, I was planning to work till mid april but they said i had to use my holidays before my requested final working day so that worked out as yesterday. I think really they threw the dummy out of the pram but he ho gives me more timeto sort at a more gentle pace.

Fly on the 24th april and it will be for good this time, just hope I can get a reasonable job.:twitcy:

Hi Moira

Good to see you are making the move at long last. Had to check my form for the answer but they have changed the form so checked on the immi site. It is to do with tracing your history so just list the documents with all the details and put a small explanation about the difference. In your case "this was my married name but ........ in ????? and took new name in ......." presume you would also include documents to back up the statement. Given names are something that I have always taken to be any other names you are known by ie an alias. We had fun and games with our family whereabouts, just said what we knew and left it at that and it was accepted. I do not think they are too bothered if it is honest and logical.

Packing is going well, last day at work yeterday, I was planning to work till mid april but they said i had to use my holidays before my requested final working day so that worked out as yesterday. I think really they threw the dummy out of the pram but he ho gives me more timeto sort at a more gentle pace.

Fly on the 24th april and it will be for good this time, just hope I can get a reasonable job.:twitcy:

Thanks for that. How does it feel booking one way? I am thinking of booking for end November beginning December. My application was accepted July last year so if 14 months is the wait for a CO, that should make it September when I get one. But it actually feels a little scary booking ONE WAY.

Best wishes Moira

Thanks for that. How does it feel booking one way? I am thinking of booking for end November beginning December. My application was accepted July last year so if 14 months is the wait for a CO, that should make it September when I get one. But it actually feels a little scary booking ONE WAY.

Best wishes Moira

Hi Moira

Now there's a story. Booked tickets for a return flight on the Sunday expecting to have to return to sell the house. Then phone call the following Tuesday saying someone wanted to view the house. Transpired that it was a couple that used to work where I work(ed) (ooh that feels good) and the numbers added up (just) so took a hit on the house and everything is looking very good for it to be a permanent move.Will not cancel the return coupon till they have signed on the dotted line on the day before we fly

Hi Pete and Marg so glad for you that you have sold the house and hope that the dotted line is signed for you in time.

We are still waiting for a buyer for ours, having already dropped the price by 100,000 euros and only had 1 viewing so far this year.

Feeling desperate now as our daughter is expecting our third grandchild in August, we so want to be there then. Got to validate our 173 visas by December this year too, and don't really want the hassle of travelling back to wait for a buyer, never mind the extra expense.

Ann and Roy

Still believing in the dream after 3 long years. :=)

Haven't been on this site for a while but PIA is a bit 'up and down' recently. Good to see forward movement on some familar names. We thought our time would never come round but unbelievably we've now been in Adelaide for nearly 6 months and in our own home for 4 1/2 - hang in guys, it will come round sooner than you think. Good luck with all those house sales, hopefully things will pick up now winter is over and Spring is casting a more favourable light for new buyers.

Thanks Phoebe

Still can't believe our luck and we're loving every minute. Don't see the family all that much but we're making a good life for ourselves and have lots of lovely new friends. Clive is doing well at the bowls club (been asked to join the club and play in matches) and I've started quilting! I also hope to start running card making classes after Easter and using that lovely new craft room of mine. Several friends and neighbours have already expressed interest so I could be busy (and make a few dollars to cover my expenses and treat myself to the odd bottle of wine)

DSC02534.jpg

Had a great afternoon lounging in a comfy deckchair at McLaren Vale (with a glass or 2 of wine) watching a free Jazz Concert surrounded by beautiful vineyards

DSC02688.jpg

DSC02688.jpg

DSC02534.jpg

Edited by jtct

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Hi everyone

Just thought I would share my update. Application for 173 has been sent to my daughter in Mackay so that she can complete sponsor form and add the necessary bits and pieces from her end - and also pay 1st payment !!!! Also had some good news on the house selling front - had an Agent in last week who gave me a good valuation and said he thought I could sell this in a very short time, i.e. put on market now and it would sell by summer. With that news I just wanted to go to Australia there and then..... Hopefully that will be the case when I do come to put it on the market but too soon just now. Really excited now that the process has finally started.

Cath

quick question... We have our visa and have just been over to Melbourne for 3 months to meet our new grandson. We are now home to sell up etc. I have had various advice as to how to transfer our pensions. ( i.e. should we bank the pensions in England and transfer a lump sum say every 6 months/when the bank rate is good) We receive 2 small company pensions and will eventually have our state pensions. Any advice.

Hi Maxinec

I beleive that if your company pensions are already in payment then they cannot be moved (to an Australian Fund) so will follow the same payment method as your state pension. If not already being paid speak to a financial adviser for more details on QORPS funds.

Your state pension only has two options as far as I am aware. 1) paid to a UK bank account and you arrange the transfer at a time to suite your needs. 2) request the pension to be paid direct to your Australian bank account. Trouble with this is that you will get the rate on the day which may be good / may be bad.

Generally the larger the amount the better the rate but have heard that some will give a better rate on smaller regular amounts. Try also talking to an Aus bank that has a presence in UK, so you would pay into a sterling account in UK and draw in Aus $ in Australia. Being within the same bank may give a better rate.

Edited by pemasaja
clarity

quick question... We have our visa and have just been over to Melbourne for 3 months to meet our new grandson. We are now home to sell up etc. I have had various advice as to how to transfer our pensions. ( i.e. should we bank the pensions in England and transfer a lump sum say every 6 months/when the bank rate is good) We receive 2 small company pensions and will eventually have our state pensions. Any advice.

I believe the state pension is tranferred in bulk to people living abroad if you choose this option. They used to use the RBS but now use Citibank I believe. I have heard that the rate is not necessarily all that good. It depends how much control you want over your money and how often you need to transfer it. Some private pension companies also use this method. I currently have my pensions paid into my UK bank account and tranfer it over as and when needed. You can also set up an arrangement for regular payment transfers with one of the currency transfer companies such as HiFx.

It's worth investigating transferring your pensions to an Australian "self-managed" pension. I haven't looked into this in any detail yet, but I have been assured that there are significant tax advantages for such schemes.

Good luck!

John & Eirian

I believe the state pension is tranferred in bulk to people living abroad if you choose this option. They used to use the RBS but now use Citibank I believe. I have heard that the rate is not necessarily all that good. It depends how much control you want over your money and how often you need to transfer it. Some private pension companies also use this method. I currently have my pensions paid into my UK bank account and tranfer it over as and when needed. You can also set up an arrangement for regular payment transfers with one of the currency transfer companies such as HiFx.

G'day Linday

We're approaching decisions for ourselves on this one. One query: Do they withhold UK tax on your UK pensions? If so, how much?

Thanks in anticipation, Mike

It's worth investigating transferring your pensions to an Australian "self-managed" pension. I haven't looked into this in any detail yet, but I have been assured that there are significant tax advantages for such schemes.

Good luck!

John & Eirian

Hi

I beleive you can only do this if it still a fund and not in payment. However bear in mind that the wonderful english government ( or properly the civil servants) have decreed that any pension fund transfered after 6th april 2012 will have to comply with UK pension rules for 10 years now from the date it is transferred from UK as opposed to the current 5 years. Just shows how hard up Britain is.

I have to try and not take mine till I am 71 to get the best options.

I won't have to worry about this just yet because the government has kindly put me back out on the streets working for an extra 3 years before I can claim mine :mad:

Phoebe

And I am sure they will all be queueing round the block for you.:laugh:

:happy_face_outlaw_s you just shot me dead!!!!!!!

Haha yes it was just an expression but hey if it helps with the VAC Fund :laugh:

When we start talking about our great British government things started to get a bit too serious around here :biglaugh:

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW