Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

I heard from the ACT last week who said they hope to have their State Migration Plan agreed by 1st July. They intend to include both the Baseline and Quota list in the SMP but expect DIAC to argue every occupation so we won't know the final outcome until July!

Thanks for this info clickettuk. Let's hope DIAC don't argue too much!

Cheers

Claire

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cilldara

Hi, we are a young Irish couple heading to Canberra on a state sponsership visa in the middle of July, we would love to know what suburbs would be a nice place to live, would prefer a house to an apartment if possible, all information would be really appreciated...Cheers ;)

Hi, we are a young Irish couple heading to Canberra on a state sponsership visa in the middle of July, we would love to know what suburbs would be a nice place to live, would prefer a house to an apartment if possible, all information would be really appreciated...Cheers ;)

That's one of those "how long is a piece of string" type questions I'm afraid and it would be useful to have more information - what sort of budget, where will you be working, do you have kids, what will you be using for transport (1 or 2 cars/bikes/buses etc), do you want an old house/new house/small house/big house, do you want a garden/no garden/courtyard, do you want to be close to the bush or cafes .....

The place to go for all Canberra real estate rentals and purchases is QLD real estate properties & homes for sale, rent and share | allhomes

Guest cilldara

Hiya,

He dont have kids, budget of about $400 per week, will have one car between us but would like to avail of public transport easily enough, Ill be working in city center area, hubbie could be located anywhere, would like newish type house, 3 bed with garden...Weve been looking on that allhomes website and seen a few places we liked in Gungahlin area, what would this be like? Its a tough question I know as all places prob have their good points and bad so its different for everyone but we are heading over with no expectations or idea or where to start looking..

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers ;)

• 4 months later...
Guest Lizhead

So did you all get here and get your visa's sorted? I've lived in Canberra for 14 years and have no contact with other ex pats from the uk. I'm trying to get back to the uk now..

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone

hopefully will be in canberra by feb/march, got meds next week police checks done, accepted job offer,our son is 20 so bit worried about his visa, will try to sell the house if and when visa's granted.

is anybody shipping there house contents out, we are unsure what to do, leave it and buy over there or take the bulk of stuff with us

is anybody shipping there house contents out, we are unsure what to do, leave it and buy over there or take the bulk of stuff with us

This is a recent thread on the subject

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/dilemmas/93392-ship-not-ship.html

It's a topic which occurs frequently, so if you do a search for "shipping" or "household goods" or something similar you will probably find lots of other discussions about it.

Hi fingers crossed that you will be out here soon enough.

In terms of shipping I would suggest that you ship as much over as you can, stuff is expensive over here and you won't get much if you try and sell it at home. So unless you have loads of money then bring it over & try to get it shipped over as soon as you can.

We have been here about 9 weeks now & we are waiting for our stuff & have had to rent some furniture after being in furnished accomodation for about 4 weeks and then our house that we are renting and although our stuff arrives at port tomorrow we have been told it could be at least another 10 days before we see it at the house.

Hope that we can help you more.

PS. PSS were very good and very competative against some of the others we got quote from.:jiggy:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest journeydownunder

Hi All,

We are just at the very beginning so feel a long way away from getting over to Canberra. I am just preparing my VETASSES skills assessment which I hope to submit this week. Then we will be applying for State sponsorship. We hadn't really considered Canberra initially and like a lot of people were thinking Perth, Sydney etc. When the SMPs were released and my occupation was on the list for ACT I started to research the area a little more and really liked what I read so have decided to go for it as it seems like a really great place to live!

Would be great to hear more stories of living in Canberra though so please keep posting those of you who have made it over!!

Quick question regarding proof of funds... At this exact point in time, we don't have the $30k (main applicant plus OH) that the ACT say they want in liquid funds. We have $40k in equity in my OH house which at the moment we don't plan to sell until we are settled in Oz (but will if we need to). Because the process of getting the visas is so blinkin' long we have a 2 year savings plan that should mean we will have the $30k in cash by the time we leave the UK but don't have it now. I also have a car which in 2 years should sell for around $10k - $12k which should boost it even more. I have read that some states ask for one bank statement showing the funds which a lot of people borrow temporarily from relatives however ACT want 3 months of statements and to be honest I don't feel comfortable borrowing that kind of money for that length of time!!

Does anyone else have any experience with this at all? How strict are they? I was planning on sending them a detailed income and expenditure report to demonstrate how we will save the necessary funds over the next 2 years. Is that likely to work do you think?

Thanks everyone in advance.

xx

Hi there Squemma Emma and everyone!!!! We're on SS 176 and hoping to be "outta here" by end September (I'm dreaming probably) 2009! There's me 36, Hubby 38, our sons Mark 12 and Alex 4 (he's a demon!). Can't wait to hit Canberra and can't wait to hopefully meet with some of you guys when we all get there. Have to sell the bloody house now - it's a nightmare. Just when we thought the visa application process was stressful, we have to have an extra overdose of stress that we coulda done without! Anyway, on the upside, hubby has a permanent job offer with Union Offset Printers in Fyshwick, Canberra and is really looking forward to starting it, seen as he's been outta work here at home for a while now. I'll be a lady of leisure and won't be working when I get there (ha, ha and yipppeeee!) - I might decide to go back in a few years if it suits me - we'll see! Anyway, great thread Emma - I have voted!!!!

Hi there im a printer heading to ACT just wondered what the wages are like out there for printers thanks Andy.

Hi there im a printer heading to ACT just wondered what the wages are like out there for printers thanks Andy.

From a couple of printers who have considered ACT they have been pitiful (about $47k from memory) and promises of working on different machines and overtime didnt really materialize (for one). One went home pretty quickly and the other didnt come. It looks as if ACT printers are getting desperate in offering sponsorships to migrants because they cant get locals who will work for a pittance. Dont mean to put a downer on here but Canberra is a very expensive place to live and if you are only bringing home about $750 per week you arent really going to want to fork out $450 for a mediocre rental. So unless you have a very big safety net or a partner with a set of skills in high demand, you might want to be very careful or dont take a job under $65k (average wage).

From a couple of printers who have considered ACT they have been pitiful (about $47k from memory) and promises of working on different machines and overtime didnt really materialize (for one). One went home pretty quickly and the other didnt come. It looks as if ACT printers are getting desperate in offering sponsorships to migrants because they cant get locals who will work for a pittance. Dont mean to put a downer on here but Canberra is a very expensive place to live and if you are only bringing home about $750 per week you arent really going to want to fork out $450 for a mediocre rental. So unless you have a very big safety net or a partner with a set of skills in high demand, you might want to be very careful or dont take a job under $65k (average wage).

Oh that does not sound good allthough $47k is more than i get in the UK are you a printer?

I am a flexo label printer and earn £25k you say the average wage is $65 thats £40k sounds like London good wages but you cant afford to live there. The rental market is expensive and thats a bit of a worry my wife is pannicing already how is the print world out there its not doin well over here if you have any knowledge and advice to give it would be most appriciated thanks.

Hi there Squemma Emma and everyone!!!! We're on SS 176 and hoping to be "outta here" by end September (I'm dreaming probably) 2009! There's me 36, Hubby 38, our sons Mark 12 and Alex 4 (he's a demon!). Can't wait to hit Canberra and can't wait to hopefully meet with some of you guys when we all get there. Have to sell the bloody house now - it's a nightmare. Just when we thought the visa application process was stressful, we have to have an extra overdose of stress that we coulda done without! Anyway, on the upside, hubby has a permanent job offer with Union Offset Printers in Fyshwick, Canberra and is really looking forward to starting it, seen as he's been outta work here at home for a while now. I'll be a lady of leisure and won't be working when I get there (ha, ha and yipppeeee!) - I might decide to go back in a few years if it suits me - we'll see! Anyway, great thread Emma - I have voted!!!!

Hi there im a printer haeading to ACT soon was wondering what the wages like out there as a printer also how much do you need to survive each month any info you could give would be much appriciated we are panicing a bit that we cant afford to live in canberra.

Oh that does not sound good allthough $47k is more than i get in the UK are you a printer?

I am a flexo label printer and earn £25k you say the average wage is $65 thats £40k sounds like London good wages but you cant afford to live there. The rental market is expensive and thats a bit of a worry my wife is pannicing already how is the print world out there its not doin well over here if you have any knowledge and advice to give it would be most appriciated thanks.

Dont think UK wages, think Aus wages - conversions are irrelevant really. Printing may well not be a very lucrative occupation but Canberra is a very expensive place to live and the average Canberran wage would be around the $80k mark! Nationally it is $65k. Check out the rental properties on Real estate properties & homes for sale, rent and share for starters to see what you will have to be shelling out for accommodation and then factor in things like travel, utilities, insurances, and, of course, eating!

Samfire returned to Ireland btw.

HI

Did you make it to Canberra ?? We have been here 8 weeks now & living in Gungahalin, looking to create a bit of a social circle, opprotunities for barbies & Beer. We are in our late 30's with a 20 month old.

Hi,we have just got our C/O and have been SS by Canberra. I am a motor mechanic and we have been moved to Cat 2 now the SMP for Canberra has been released. We only lodged our application with the DIAC August 20th 2010,so we got a C/O really quick and have been asked to get our Meds and Police Checks.

Do you know if there are many jobs for motor mechanics in Canberra?

Thanks,

Steve+Wendy. :biggrin:

I know of a place looking for a mech as we speak. The company is called DASFLEET, they service all the government cars in Canberra and also do some private work. The boss there is called Matt, he's a very down to earth bloke. Do you want me to see what I can do for you?

Hi,Thanks. We have got our case officer now and he wants us to get our medicals and police checks done!

I am not sure if and when we will get our visa, but it would be good to know if I could get a job when we do eventualy arrive,poss late 2011?

Thaks again

Steve+Wendy:yes:

Hi,Thanks. We have got our case officer now and he wants us to get our medicals and police checks done!

I am not sure if and when we will get our visa, but it would be good to know if I could get a job when we do eventualy arrive,poss late 2011?

Thaks again

Steve+Wendy:yes:

I think he'll be after someone before then but I'll let him know you are coming over to Canberra, he may have a few questions etc which I will forward on to you.

I think he'll be after someone before then but I'll let him know you are coming over to Canberra, he may have a few questions etc which I will forward on to you.

Hi,thanks. I have read on a thread on here that even though I have My Australian Qualification 111 (passed with Vettasses May 2010) that this does not count for anything over in OZ and that I will have to get something else (another Certificate) and a recent (not more than 3 months old) police Check!

Is there any chance you could enquire about this for me, as I don't know who to ask?

Just to let you know I am 45 y/o and a Motor Mechanic/MOT Tester over here in the UK!

Thanks

Steve+Wendy :confused:

Hi,thanks. I have read on a thread on here that even though I have My Australian Qualification 111 (passed with Vettasses May 2010) that this does not count for anything over in OZ and that I will have to get something else (another Certificate) and a recent (not more than 3 months old) police Check!

Is there any chance you could enquire about this for me, as I don't know who to ask?

Just to let you know I am 45 y/o and a Motor Mechanic/MOT Tester over here in the UK!

Thanks

Steve+Wendy :confused:

I'll ask him on Monday and see what he says

Hi,we have just got our C/O and have been SS by Canberra. I am a motor mechanic and we have been moved to Cat 2 now the SMP for Canberra has been released. We only lodged our application with the DIAC August 20th 2010,so we got a C/O really quick and have been asked to get our Meds and Police Checks.

Do you know if there are many jobs for motor mechanics in Canberra?

Thanks,

Steve+Wendy. :biggrin:

Hi, if you've got manufacturer qualifications you'll have no problem as most of the dealers are looking for qualified mechanics. I definatly know our company is looking for Landrover Tech's and are also always keeping an eye out for Nissan, Volkswagen, Skoda & Jaguar Tech's.

Thanks for your help.

Steve+Wendy.:jiggy:

Just spoken to my mate who is the boss at DASFLEET, who said that there is scope for employing you there and the qualifacation aspect isn't too much to worry about, really i think he would be looking at the experance you have. He also said that there are a number of dealership in Canberra that would be looking as well, however he said to give him a shout when you come over

Archived