Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Hi Emma and all,

Thanks for setting up this thread, its really good to read about other peoples moves, I'm moving across to Canberra on 16th Jan to try my hand at a new job assuming the snow lets up here.

Going to be living in Kingston for 1st couple of months and working in Phillip, have got about 10 days to explore Canberra before work starts so hopefully will get a feel for a bit of it (as haven't done a recce).

What you planning on studying at CU?

lh071 are you also moving to Canberra alone?

If you or anyone on thread fancies meet ups at some point that'd be great as its only really dawned on me that i literally know noone out in OZ bar some family friends of friends of friends...

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike!!

Welcome to PIO! :)

How are you?

So how comes you are moving to Oz? What made you make the decision? Was it just the new job?

I'm not too sure what i'm doing now when I get there haha... i want to do travel/event management so was going to do that at Uni but i've recently been applying for jobs in the industry to save me £12000 fees for the 3 years so it all depends really!

I will definately be arranging some meet ups when i get to australia on the 4th April so keep an eye on this thread :cute:

Not long now until you are off... are you excited?

Emma

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 101126

Hi Mike,

Good luck with the trip down under and the new job, perhaps when you get over we'll organise another get together as there are a few of us here, and a few around Philip and Woden so should not be a problem.

maybe see you down under soon

Guest Mike1585

Hi Squem, 101126,

Part of it was the job, I went to the expo December 08 looking out of interest for a new challenge as had been interested in Aus for a while and got really lucky, met some nice people on the day and things just snow balled really so going to be trying out my chem degree for first time, so heres hoping.

Am pretty excited given everyone i've met whose been out before says its brilliant but i'm nervous at same time as know it'll be at least 6 months before i see the rents or my sis again.

The course sounds good but fees are always a bugg*r (students loan company is still going to be tracking me in OZ) so i can see why you'd want decent work experience in the industry!

4th of April isnt too far off either, mean ive spent last 2 months getting everything sorted and it seems endless, all the photcopying and now looking into ways of bringing more stuff with me urghh...

Thanks 101126 hopefully flight will be smooth and i wont be too shattered on arrival, what are you doing in OZ (sorry if this is already in an older post)? Meet up would be nice so let me know if and when.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Squem, 101126,

Part of it was the job, I went to the expo December 08 looking out of interest for a new challenge as had been interested in Aus for a while and got really lucky, met some nice people on the day and things just snow balled really so going to be trying out my chem degree for first time, so heres hoping.

Am pretty excited given everyone i've met whose been out before says its brilliant but i'm nervous at same time as know it'll be at least 6 months before i see the rents or my sis again.

The course sounds good but fees are always a bugg*r (students loan company is still going to be tracking me in OZ) so i can see why you'd want decent work experience in the industry!

4th of April isnt too far off either, mean ive spent last 2 months getting everything sorted and it seems endless, all the photcopying and now looking into ways of bringing more stuff with me urghh...

Thanks 101126 hopefully flight will be smooth and i wont be too shattered on arrival, what are you doing in OZ (sorry if this is already in an older post)? Meet up would be nice so let me know if and when.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Wow it really has snowballed for you hasn't it.... good on you for giving it a go!!

11026 is my dad he is in Canberra with my mum and youngest sister... my other sister goes out on the 2nd February! I'm quite lucky that i've got all my family going... its been hard here in the UK as they left in October so I can't wait to get over there! He works in IT. :)

You will soon meet people when you start work... PIO has been great for meeting people too! I wouldn't worry too much :spinny:

Not long till you fly now eh.. I hope you have a safe flight and enjoy your first few weeks there! Good luck with the jet lag haha i struggled when i went over in december... went to bed at 5pm and woke up at 5am for about a week!!

Let us know how you get on!

Emma

Well we've just checked the weather, and June's going to be a tad cold for our reccie! So now planning March/April - so guys will let you know specifics so we can arrange a meal/beers etc

Guest destinationoz
Well we've just checked the weather, and June's going to be a tad cold for our reccie! So now planning March/April - so guys will let you know specifics so we can arrange a meal/beers etc

Us too!!! Problem is flights are very expensive in March April so we're going for our reccie in May taking in half term May/June .... no doubt we'll have more questions soon but hopefully see some of you soon!!!

Us too!!! Problem is flights are very expensive in March April so we're going for our reccie in May taking in half term May/June .... no doubt we'll have more questions soon but hopefully see some of you soon!!!

I arrived here in June and yes it was cold, colder than what I thought it would be, however, the summer is what you live for out here. I got married in march last year and it was still very warm, so I think if you made the trip then you wouldn't be too cold.

oh no i'm arriving in April... It better not be cold!

Although I did just speak to an Australian guy in a shop over here and he said Canberra can get snow?!!?! Please tell me thats not true?! I've just about had enough of it here haha!

If it is true then sorry dad (110126) i'm off to Brisbane hahaha! :D

Yes I am told it can get cold here, some say very cold, but compared to the -18C or so seen in the UK recently I am sure Canberra is unlikely to chuck anything quite as bad as this at us.

Going back to Nik's point you do live for the summer here and considering we landed her in October and have only once felt compelled to wear trousers as opposed to shorts and only seen rain on a couple of occasions I would say we are doing ok.

Agreed Pete (101126), looking forward to meeting you in April

BTW my wife is finally swaying and sounding keen to go - so this reccie is of vital importance!

We do indeed get the occasional flurry of snowflakes but in the past 30 years it has never settled beyond a day or so. We get days down to -7C most winters but the days warm up usually to around 10C - there is a huge daily range. However many people who come here do feel cold because the houses arent built for those sorts of temperatures - some of us live in weatherboard homes and the newer houses arent solid brick either and landlords, especially, arent that concerned about spending a mint in insulation. If you rely on electric reverse cycle heating you will be in for a whacking great power bill at the end of the quarter. We have a slow combustion stove and whilst it is a pain to be sure you always have wood on hand (the DH scavenges quite successfully and he enjoys that - it wouldnt suit me!) it does keep the house constantly warm.

Most winters we will be able to see snow on the hills outside town - it doesnt usually last for long though.

The general rule of thumb (when my kids were little) was that you wear shorts from DS1's birthday (mid September) through to Anzac Day and then long trousers from Anzac to Sept although foolhardy folk like my DH and sons do wear shorts all year round, especially for riding their bikes.

oh no i'm arriving in April... It better not be cold!

Although I did just speak to an Australian guy in a shop over here and he said Canberra can get snow?!!?! Please tell me thats not true?!

Yes, it's true...Canberra does sometimes have snow.

Not surprising really, as it's 2000 ft. above sea level.

But the climate is dry, so generally it's frosty rather than snowy.

Guest Mike1585

Hey guys,

Arrived in Canberra now (Monday just gone) living in Kingston at the mo, have got some sort of feel for how things work nd looked at a couple of places to live. Rent for even share houses seems exceptionally high is this just going to be the case?

Any meet ups planned?

cheers

Mike

Hey guys,

Arrived in Canberra now (Monday just gone) living in Kingston at the mo, have got some sort of feel for how things work nd looked at a couple of places to live. Rent for even share houses seems exceptionally high is this just going to be the case?

Any meet ups planned?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you have arrived ok! How was the flight?

I have heard renting can be quite expensive compared to here in the UK. Quoll will probably be able to give you a bit of advice about renting maybe.

I haven't heard about any meet ups.... im sure there are a few people that would be up for meeting with you though! I've still got 10 weeks until I get there :( so long!

When do you start your job?

Are you enjoying yourself so far?

Speak to you soon

Emma

Ps: How is everyone else on this thread? Its been a bit quiet lately!

Has anyone heard from Samfire!? She seems to have disappeared! Hope she is ok.

Hey guys,

Any meet ups planned?

cheers

Mike

Yup, renting is going to be expensive - if you want to live somewhere reasonable anyway!

I am guessing you have checked out the rentals on allhomes.com.au and also the gumtree for Canberra. This is a tricky time for rentals though and the market is going to be tighter now than in a couple of months time - new public servants and students taking up the bulk of lookers.

Mike - enjoy Canberra. Keep us updated on how you're getting on. I'm sure first few weeks will be very tough, especially with property\rental prices.

Emma - you must be getting excited now.

We're still waiting to get the Visa, have State Sponsorship, so may take up tp a couple of years... who knows!

At least by waiting I'm hoping UK house prices will pick up, and possibly Australia house prices down! Also the pound will hopefully be stronger than it's current value.

We have finally arrived in Canberra as of 7 pm tonight! Checking out our first rental property tomorrow but are there any bargains around that may need a little work & then sold at a small profit later on? Just thinking that it might fill in time while job hunting etc.

Would be good to meet up with others who are starting out here,

did you here from Samfire Squem?

Off to bed now.... Rob

Hi Rob

Congratulations on your move to Canberra, we moved here at the end of October last year and apart from the usual; what the hell have we done jitters have enjoyed our time here since. We are happy to meet up; so let me know when you are over the jet lag or ready to meet up and we will try and arrange something.

Unfortunately Samfire went home to the UK, i do not know the reason but would loved to have met her and her family before she returned but we missed them, I do not know if Squem heard anything more, but I am sure she would have mentioned it on the numerous occasions that we spoke to her (BTW Squem is my eldest daughter, and still not here yet, we are so looking forward to her getting here in April)

Good luck

Peter

We have finally arrived in Canberra as of 7 pm tonight! Checking out our first rental property tomorrow but are there any bargains around that may need a little work & then sold at a small profit later on? Just thinking that it might fill in time while job hunting etc.

Would be good to meet up with others who are starting out here,

did you here from Samfire Squem?

Off to bed now.... Rob

Congratulations on your move down under Rob!

I'm sure you will both love it!

I unfortunately haven't heard from Samfire... I hope she is ok! I will message her privately and see if she is alright.

Keep in touch and good luck with your first few weeks!

Squem x

Well our flights are booked for 3 week trip in June. Going to Hong Kong Disneyworld on the way out for a couple of nights. Then hiring car and driving for 10 nights in June. Looking at serviced apartments at the mo to rent, as we deffo need a second bedroom so our little one can rest easily! We will be in Canberra June 10th to June 20th, with a few days at Sydney before returning home. Still need to meet a few friendly faces whilst there to help convince the wife that she will be ok. We also would like to see some houses/areas/schools - so prob a busy 10 days.

Peter's been very helpful so far, so looking forward to buying him a beer or three :D

Well our flights are booked for 3 week trip in June. Going to Hong Kong Disneyworld on the way out for a couple of nights. Then hiring car and driving for 10 nights in June. Looking at serviced apartments at the mo to rent, as we deffo need a second bedroom so our little one can rest easily! We will be in Canberra June 10th to June 20th, with a few days at Sydney before returning home. Still need to meet a few friendly faces whilst there to help convince the wife that she will be ok. We also would like to see some houses/areas/schools - so prob a busy 10 days.

Peter's been very helpful so far, so looking forward to buying him a beer or three :D

Hey Sabink :)

Glad to hear your flights are booked ... I will be there in June so will organise a meet up for your arrival if you like!

Keep us posted on your plans!

Emma

Guest wossall

Hi Everyone

We will be arriving in August for a 3 week reccie, would love to meet up with some of you, as I have to persuade my Husband about a move to Canberra. Hope everyone has a nice trip and hope to meet some of you there.

Lynne

Hi Everyone

We will be arriving in August for a 3 week reccie, would love to meet up with some of you, as I have to persuade my Husband about a move to Canberra. Hope everyone has a nice trip and hope to meet some of you there.

Lynne

Ah Smeone else from Lancashire, get in!!! Just wish you cou]ld bring some Hollands Puddings with you, I so miss them. Keep us posted whe you get over here and I am sure we'l manae a meet up in Canberra while your here.

Archived