Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Guest Mike1585

Thanks for rental advice guys, have managed to sort a share house in Garran which will start in a month so get to stay in the nice temp accomm for a bit longer yet.

Started work Monday in Phillip and so far so good, pretty intense learning curve but pretty interesting so plenty to keep busy with and everyone very friendly and inclusive which is great.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wossall

Thanks

Will keep in touch and let you know when we arrive and hopefully we can meet up with a few people, really looking forward to coming over, my little boy is so excited, he's already said he wants to stay.

Speak with you all soon.

Good luck to everyone else who's going or already their.

Lynne

Hi,

I am an Aussie who will be returning to AUS with my English husband and 2.5 year old rugrat (we have lived there together before - without the rugrat though!) and were going to Adelaide but it looks like it may be ACT now.......we will be renting to start with but then looking at buying some land with an old or brand new house.

Just wanted to stop buy and say hello!

Hi,

I am an Aussie who will be returning to AUS with my English husband and 2.5 year old rugrat (we have lived there together before - without the rugrat though!) and were going to Adelaide but it looks like it may be ACT now.......we will be renting to start with but then looking at buying some land with an old or brand new house.

Just wanted to stop buy and say hello!

Hi Seayork!

Welcome to the ACT thread... :)

When are you returning?

I leave in 6.5 weeks and I can't wait :jiggy:

Emma x

Hi,

The house should be on the market soon so as soon as possible once it is sold! I can't wait...I have family in NSW (well all over but my parents are in Sydney)

I bet you are excited, have you been much before?

Hi Seayork!

Welcome to the ACT thread... :)

When are you returning?

I leave in 6.5 weeks and I can't wait :jiggy:

Emma x

Guest destinationoz

Hi folks ...

Life is mad crazy here but our validation trip is booked !!

We arrive on the 10th May until 4th June 2010 and we are really really excited .... staying in Griffiths (?)

We want to check places to live, schools, possible employment etc so expect to be busy but would love to meet some of you ...

Squem, Peter & rest of family, Catherine & Rob, Quoll, Nik Kershaw, etc etc ... please let me know if you are willing to meet up to have a chat !!!

I'd loved to have met Samfire too - does anyone know any more of her whereabouts??

Anyway = let me know if you are around and you can spare a little time!!!!

Thanks lots!!

Cal, Kimani & Amari (aka Desty/DestinationOz)

Hi desty and sabink,

what dates are good for u to have a meet up? May I suggest a Saturday afternoon when you are in Australia? So if u pick the best one I will organise something and invite the troops!

Glad to hear everything is going well though :)

Guest Lilypad

Hi Seayork. I'm also an Aussie returning to Australia after 10 years in UK. I came with a backpack and I'm going back with a Welsh husband and 2 kids ( 3 and 19 months). I am so used to my British life that I keep telling people I'm emigrating from Britain to Australia! Someone did remind me yesterday that you can't immigrate to a country you're from, but that's how it feels (although we're very lucky to avoid lots of the hastle involved). We're leaving next Sunday.

I have already joined the Canberra Welsh society and paid for our place at the St David's day dinner, signed a contract for a 6 month job and confirmed my attendance at the next 'Canberra Spanish meetup' for a chat en espanol!

New life, here we come!

Best of luck - might see you there!

Shilo

Guest destinationoz
Hi desty and sabink,

what dates are good for u to have a meet up? May I suggest a Saturday afternoon when you are in Australia? So if u pick the best one I will organise something and invite the troops!

Glad to hear everything is going well though :)

WOW!! That's brilliant! Thanks a million Squem ...

Saturday 15th May afternoon would be brilliant - then we can get as many tips as early as poss but if it needs to be the following Saturday that's cool too!!

Amari (out little un) is 7 so a kid-friendly place to meet would be great!!

hopefully we're meeting sabink before we come out too ...

Thanks again!!

WOW!! That's brilliant! Thanks a million Squem ...

Saturday 15th May afternoon would be brilliant - then we can get as many tips as early as poss but if it needs to be the following Saturday that's cool too!!

Amari (out little un) is 7 so a kid-friendly place to meet would be great!!

hopefully we're meeting sabink before we come out too ...

Thanks again!!

Hey Desty!

I reckon we should meet at a pub mum and dad showed me when I was there... it's a british pub and is next to a nice shopping district..(individual shops all outdoors)

I shall send out a message nearer the time but I know my parents will be there and I'm sure I can rope in JacquiB and Nik_Kershaw and anyone else that reads this.

But for now we will say Saturday 15th May .. it's in my diary so like i said i'll send something out nearer the time as people will probably forget if i do it now :)

Em

Guest destinationoz

Fantastic!! Thanks loads Squem! I heard about that shopping area so that sounds good! We're really looking forward to meeting you all ...

You're right thou - reminding people nearer the time will be good - I'm getting ahead of myself at the excitement of leaving here (even if its just the validation trip for now!!)

Glad you can come too Rob & Catherine ... maybe you should stay at our apartment one night then I'll write you a reference as your previous landlord in Canberra!!

Are you really staying in a tent??? That's worrying!!!

Hope everyone else in canberra is having fun!!

And Squem, for us, its June 19th will be awesome - the day before we had back up to Sydney for a few days before heading home.

Ill be seeing your dad before, hopefully, to talk IT, but a meet up would be most appreciated

Guest destinationoz
Finally got accepted for a rental, like buses we were offered 3 today!

Accepted a modest 3 bed bungalow in Florey so now it's just schools and jobs to find.

Looking forward to catching up in may, which shopping centre is that pub in?

HURRAY!! You;ve got a home .... Well Done!

Not sure where the shopping centre is but Squem knows - I heard it was like a cheap designer outlet type place ....?????

Hope the move in goes great ...

Guest destinationoz
And Squem, for us, its June 19th will be awesome - the day before we had back up to Sydney for a few days before heading home.

Ill be seeing your dad before, hopefully, to talk IT, but a meet up would be most appreciated

can't make the 19th but don't forget our meet up here!!!

I just saw a post by a fellow PIO'er on another thread with a response they received from ACT about their State Migration Plan.

Our understanding is that all current sponsorship applications will just continue on as usual and we are hoping that DIAC will move those current ones up the processing priority queue to level 2 – however this has not been confirmed by DIAC as yet. The ACT Government will honour all existing sponsorship applications. We cannot have guarantee what DIAC will do and you will need to contact them for clarification on this.

We have not as yet formulated a new State Migration Plan, however we do not foresee major changes to our list as the we have already “jumped ahead of the game” here by devising our own “quota” list. The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes.

I'm confused by what the ACT have said.

I thought their Baseline List contained the occupations in demand in ACT. Then, their Quota List contained a list of other "off-list" (less demanded) occupations which have limited sponsorships available.

Surely then, they would use their Baseline List for their State Migration Plan and NOT their Quota List.

The quote you've included from ACT says "The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes". Do you think they meant to say "BASELINE"??

I'm confused! Has anyone else had any feedback from the ACT yet???

Sounds good that they think they are ahead of the game. Hopefully that means they'll get the Minister's approval sooner than July.

Michael.

19th June it is Sabink... it's in my diary! :) I will send out a meet up thing nearer the time!!

Emma

HURRAY!! You;ve got a home .... Well Done!

Not sure where the shopping centre is but Squem knows - I heard it was like a cheap designer outlet type place ....?????

Hope the move in goes great ...

Hellooo All,

Sorry I don't seem to get notifications when someone posts on this thread so i keep missing them doh! Anyways the pub I am referring to is called 'The George Harcourt Inn' and it's at the Gold Creek shopping village..

http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/en/Things%20to%20do%20and%20see/Entertainment%20and%20nightlife/Bars%20and%20nightclubs/Business%20Details%20Page.aspx?ID=9003084&Title=George+Harcourt+Inn

It's a nice day out round there with the shops so think it will be the best place to meet :)

Emma

I just saw a post by a fellow PIO'er on another thread with a response they received from ACT about their State Migration Plan.

Our understanding is that all current sponsorship applications will just continue on as usual and we are hoping that DIAC will move those current ones up the processing priority queue to level 2 – however this has not been confirmed by DIAC as yet. The ACT Government will honour all existing sponsorship applications. We cannot have guarantee what DIAC will do and you will need to contact them for clarification on this.

We have not as yet formulated a new State Migration Plan, however we do not foresee major changes to our list as the we have already “jumped ahead of the game” here by devising our own “quota” list. The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes.

I'm confused by what the ACT have said.

I thought their Baseline List contained the occupations in demand in ACT. Then, their Quota List contained a list of other "off-list" (less demanded) occupations which have limited sponsorships available.

Surely then, they would use their Baseline List for their State Migration Plan and NOT their Quota List.

The quote you've included from ACT says "The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes". Do you think they meant to say "BASELINE"??

I'm confused! Has anyone else had any feedback from the ACT yet???

Sounds good that they think they are ahead of the game. Hopefully that means they'll get the Minister's approval sooner than July.

Michael.

Hey Michael,

Welcome to PIO and the Canberra thread!

Sorry but I have no idea what you are on about... unfortunately I don't know much about the visa process :-S

Good luck with it all though! :cute:

Emma

• 2 weeks later...

Archived