Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Bogan no hoper in a stolen car refused to stop at a police RBT checkpoint in Qeanbeyan and so the police chased him along the highway and called off the chase when he ran a red light but the stupid moron kept on going and slammed into a car with a couple and their baby whilst running another red light all killed except the young female passenger in his car. As it happens the families knew each other (moved in the same circles:nah:) and are united in their grief against the police (huh? go figure!) who, they claim, should not have chased him. The bloke who was responsible for it all was a serial car thief who had a history as long as your arm for driving other peoples' cars and was on bail for a similar incident a few months ago. The victims had a similar history as it happened but on this occasion they were simply innocent victims in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe it was a bit of karma, who knows.

Four killed in Canberra police chase | The RiotACT

It's the wee innocent baby I feel it for though.....all the truth is tumbling out in dribs and drabs about the adults, but the one true innocent is the real victim

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest destinationoz
One hesitates to be judgmental and say that none of them will be any great loss to the community but the courts will have a little less work to do in the future that's for sure!

sadly this whole story reminds me of parts of the UK ... but I realise there is good and bad everywhere ... just sorry for the little un ... Thanks for letting me know anyway ...

Guest destinationoz
well 9 weeks now till our reccie, looking very forward to it

for all those able to meet up for coffee/lunch and a chinwag - thanks again, will be in touch

Looking forward to meeting everyone here soon!!!

and just a few weeks later we'll hopefully meet plenty of others in Canberra!! Yippee!!

Guest Squem

Hey Everyone,

Sorry been a bit quiet this end.... been manic getting last minute farewells in and organising last bits!

So I fly tomorrow arghhh! 22.05pm from London Heathrow.

Managed to get Singapore to give me 5kg extra so now I have 25kg and 7kg hand luggage!!! Could have done with the extra 40kg but unfortuntely used that in December oops!

Will speak to you all from Australia ... keep an eye out for meet up invites etc.

Emma x

Guest destinationoz

Amazing - your time has arrived!!!

Good luck ... enjoy .... be happy ...

See you in Canberra in May!!

Guest Squem

Hey Everyone,

I've finally arrived... was a long long (did i mention long) journey.

It's weird when I came here on holiday it didnt feel like a long journey but moving here puts a different perspective on it and I was sitting there thinking christ my friends and family have a long journey ahead of them if they want to visit - its weird!

The flight itself wasnt too bad i think if i go back to the UK i will do that flight time again as leaving at 10pm (UK) was perfect. Slept more than usual which was good.

Anyone flying with Singapore might like to know that if you enter australia for the first time with your new visa you get 40kg of baggage allowance you just have to phone them before to let them know. And also if you have already used your visa (like myself) then ring them up and explain your situation and they should be able to give you an extra 5kg so you have 25kg. But to be fair the guy that checked me in said I could have got away with 30kg! Wish I had known that before i chucked some of my beloved stuff away haha! I ended up having to hide my friends round the corner with 2 other hand luggage bags whilst i checked in with my one hand bag and suitcase! ended up carrying 17kgs of stuff as hand luggage ooops!

Mum, dad, sister and dog were waiting for me at the airport which was lovely... drove back from Sydney to Canberra and stopped at Hungry Jacks (had been craving one for ages haha) took about 2 1/2 hours to get back home. Had a quick shower and went straight back out to get me a wardrobe then came back and was in bed by 5.30pm... woke up at 9pm thinking it was the next morning damn it! Went straight back to bed after a snack and woke up at 5am so not too bad! Fingers crossed I last for the rest of the day!

Anyways I hope everyone else is ok. Will arrange some future meet ups this week so they are in everyone's diaries. :) x

Guest Magnetic6

Try that long,long (did i say long) journey with 4 little kids in tow....sleep and clothes my arse!!! :wink:

Seriously Squem, i'm so pleased that you had a safe journey and are now reunited with your lovely family. Can't wait to hear all your (regular please) updates!:hug:xx

Guest siamsusie

Thrilled to see you are on our time zones now, great to know you are safe and with your family again.

Keep in touch and now you can settle back and have fun logts of love Susie xxx

Good to hear that your finally here. I am free on friday afternoon, if people are looking to meet, however this weekend I am travelling to Bourke for a week. Let us all know when you are available. Also it would be good to see your family again. Maybe this time though somewhere in civic, or even Kingston. I hear the Durham pub is a good english pub.

At last!!! Good to see that you have made it at last Emma. Hope all goes well for you!

Also for any new/newish Canberrans, just a heads up about one of Canberra's big events next weekend (16 - 18 April) the Lifeline Bookfair. If you want to build up your library then this will be the place to go - great books at fantastic prices and all in aid of Lifeline.

Guest 101126

Well the eldest daughter has arrived and at last the social secretary can start getting the social stuff organised. Anyone heading off to watch the Brumbies on Saturday, courtesy of the liveincanberra team, both Squem and all her kin folk will be there.

Guest wossall

Hi Squem

Glad to see you arrived safely, good luck settling in, keep us updated of any meet ups. We arrive for a reccie in August would love to meet up with a few people when we arrive, will let you know the dates when we will be arriving. It will be nice to meet a few people who have recently moved out there as we are thinking about it but the OH is unsure needs a bit of encouragement. Will speak with you soon.

Glad you arrived safely have some fun.

Lynne

Guest Squem

Thanks everyone... finally getting settled..!!

Mobile phone sorted.... CV finished.... now i've just got to get moving to either find a job or get accepted at Uni! All go!

I've just started another thread for a meet up on the 15th May! Hopefully see many of you there :)

Guest Sydneybound

Hi everyone

I'm about to apply for SS to Canberra. It's the other half applying (Architectural Associate) and we have finally got his Skills Assessment and IELTS results back (both positive) so can make the next step. It's been a long haul for us as we had to get permission from my daughters father to include her on the application form (ironically in the time this has dragged on, she's turned 16 and can now make up her own mind!) We are also trying to get an application in before any potential detrimental changes in the new SOL, and before the other half turns 35 and we lose points!

I'm also keeping my eye out for employer sponsorship for either my other half (Rob) or me (I'm a Marketing Manager in the Government). If anyone knows of any employers willing to sponsor us - let me know! (Don't ask, don't get!!!)

We have been to Oz before, travelling up the East Coast and Rob has lived in Sydney before, although we've not been to Canberra before so any advice, particularly on the nightlife (especially for my daughter who is 16 going on 18) would be appreciated. I'm hoping to start horse riding again, it's so expensive here, I'm hoping it will be a little cheaper than £30 an hour over there!

We are hoping to get back in January and spend some time in Canberra before the big move - but that all depends on what money we have left after we have put our visa application in!

Hi everyone

I'm about to apply for SS to Canberra. It's the other half applying (Architectural Associate) and we have finally got his Skills Assessment and IELTS results back (both positive) so can make the next step. It's been a long haul for us as we had to get permission from my daughters father to include her on the application form (ironically in the time this has dragged on, she's turned 16 and can now make up her own mind!) We are also trying to get an application in before any potential detrimental changes in the new SOL, and before the other half turns 35 and we lose points!

I'm also keeping my eye out for employer sponsorship for either my other half (Rob) or me (I'm a Marketing Manager in the Government). If anyone knows of any employers willing to sponsor us - let me know! (Don't ask, don't get!!!)

We have been to Oz before, travelling up the East Coast and Rob has lived in Sydney before, although we've not been to Canberra before so any advice, particularly on the nightlife (especially for my daughter who is 16 going on 18) would be appreciated. I'm hoping to start horse riding again, it's so expensive here, I'm hoping it will be a little cheaper than £30 an hour over there!

We are hoping to get back in January and spend some time in Canberra before the big move - but that all depends on what money we have left after we have put our visa application in!

Hi Sydneybound.

Can't offer you any advice on Canberra as we havn't been there yet. Just want to say good luck with your SS for ACT.

We are hopefully only 3 or so more week away from finding out if we are successful with our SS and then we will be putting in our Visa App in May before the mid-year changes.

Let us know how you get on with your SS.

Claire

Claire

• 3 weeks later...

I heard from the ACT last week who said they hope to have their State Migration Plan agreed by 1st July. They intend to include both the Baseline and Quota list in the SMP but expect DIAC to argue every occupation so we won't know the final outcome until July!

Archived