Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoooooppppeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! We got our visa's on Tuesday, so flipping chuffed I cannot express it properly. We waited 2 and a half years for this moment - just shows you do get them sometime. Good luck everyone out there still waiting, the current timeline is 3 month for SS. :-)))))

Hey,that's Fantastic News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see you both in Canberra?

Steve,Wendy+Georgia:jiggy:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dawn&Sam&Toby

Hi all

We have been here in Canberra 8 months now. Looking for some English people to chat to! Wife from Blackpool, I am from Gloucester, daughter (13)brought up in Hampshire.

Dawn, Toby, Sam.................

Hi all

We have been here in Canberra 8 months now. Looking for some English people to chat to! Wife from Blackpool, I am from Gloucester, daughter (13)brought up in Hampshire.

Hi Guys

There is another get together organised for next weekend on Sunday, see thread at http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/northern-territory-tasmania-act/106181-another-canberra-bbq.html and stick your name down to come along.

Hopefully see you there.

Guest Kathy03

Hi, my OH and i are in the process of appling for the ACT SS and we are just needing to put together few paragraphs on how we are going to support ourselves and our 3 children ages 4, 11 and 12 for the first six months before we find employment. We are going on my skills (disability services officer) but need to write a bit on the cost of living out there which i will hopefully get together in the next few days.

I dont know how long it takes to get the ACT SS but i need this before May otherwise i will be too old!!! Just cant wait to get out to Canberra but dont want to get my hopes up until we have the visa as i have had so many set backs over the last 4 years..

Fingers crossed and heres hoping X

Hi all

Hi Guys, We are from Blackpool.

How do you like living in Canberra? We have got our 176 SS Canberra Visa and are planing to move over in Sept 2011. Can you give us a quick run down on some costs please?

We have looked online and on PIO,so we have done some research, but it's always better coming from someone who has already made the move!

1) Rental,etc?

2)Cars,Petrol.etc?

3) Food,etc?

and anything else you think might be useful?

Hope you don't mind me asking?

We are a Family of 3, Myself (Steve /Motor Mechanic),Wendy(My Wife) +Georgia(My Step-Daughter 18 y/o).

Thanks

Steve,Wendy+Georgia :jiggy:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest buttercupv

Hi there, I have been granted sponsorship and a position in Canberra as a social worker for ACT. I am 29, 30 at the end of this month.

I am at present looking at the vast visa forms. I have had my medical and that has been sent off. If everything goes through okay I'll be going alone, which is scary and really exciting :twitcy:

Hi there, I have been granted sponsorship and a position in Canberra as a social worker for ACT. I am 29, 30 at the end of this month.

I am at present looking at the vast visa forms. I have had my medical and that has been sent off. If everything goes through okay I'll be going alone, which is scary and really exciting :twitcy:

There are quite a few people coming as social workers - there are several threads on the topic - so you wont be on your own.

As for all adventures, if you do it with a safety net (take a career break, dont sell your house etc) and you should be fine.

Guest SandP
Hi Guys

There is another get together organised for next weekend on Sunday, see thread at http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/northern-territory-tasmania-act/106181-another-canberra-bbq.html and stick your name down to come along.

Hopefully see you there.

Hi

Are there any other get togethers planned? We arrived in April and would love to meet some new friends - we have two daughters 8 and 4.

Sara

Guest toops

Hi there - has anyone got any advice re pension trasnfers, when to do it, shall we do it etc? I have worked out that if you continue to pay NI stamp here for the full 30 yrs requirement then you get your UK State Pension so worth doing at my age... the rest is a nightmare and I have resisted the temptation to swear greatly :-)) Thank you for any advice.

Guest destinationoz

The advice I had was not to move your pension until you are absolutely sure you will stay in Oz long term as it's very difficult to move it back.

When you say about keeping paying NI for 30 years to get state pension - how do you go that if you're in Oz?? Thanks!!

Hi

Are there any other get togethers planned? We arrived in April and would love to meet some new friends - we have two daughters 8 and 4.

Sara

Hey Sara, can't help you right now as we don't arrive till 19Sep but will def be arranging something after that :)

Guest toops
The advice I had was not to move your pension until you are absolutely sure you will stay in Oz long term as it's very difficult to move it back.

When you say about keeping paying NI for 30 years to get state pension - how do you go that if you're in Oz?? Thanks!!

As we haven't left yet,we have signed some docs with the Inland Revenue to continue paying stamp by DD from a UK bank account that will remain open. You may be able to contact them via email from the website and ask them?

Try http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm

• 9 months later...
Guest Mrs Mac

Hi Everyone,

We moved to Canberra in Jan this year on a 457. Would reccommend it's a lovely place, BUT .... houses and cost of living very expensive!!!!!!

Good Luck if youre thinking about coming over, it's really worth it :)

Mrs Mac x

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

New to this, but been trying to get a visa for ages, for me (Alfie and the wife Claire) FINALLY got a 457 Sponsor and job offer in Cnaberra, which i've accepted, HELP< where do i start????

Hope you dont have kids, but if you do, then your first job is to suss whether you will need to pay school fees or not (is your occupation in demand??) and whether you can afford it on what they are offering you.

Then you check out http://www.allhomes.com.au to get a clue about what accommodation you may be looking for - look at Google maps for routes to your workplace and also streetview to see what the neighbourhoods look like.

If you can, get your employer to agree to put you up somewhere for a couple of weeks (well, if you dont ask you wont know!) so you can check out a rental. Are the company flying you out or are you having to do that yourself?

Good luck, hope you like it

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheWoolhams

Hi everyone,

This is our first post, we have our visa and are planning to arrive in Canberra in September!

Our application went quite smoothly - even thought the amount of paperwork, checks and stages to get through seemed pretty daunting at the start. Luckily we had a fantastic migration consultant (Haylock Migration) who steered us through the process seamlessly.

We started our application last August and got the positive VETASSESS result in November, followed by getting State Sponsorship in January. Our Skilled Sponsored Migrant Visa (176) was approved just a few weeks afterwards!

We've just sold our house so are in the process of organising shipping, banks, pet import etc. There's a lot do to but we can't wait!

Hoping to be around for a Poms in Oz Canberra get together in the spring!

Nicola and Craig Woolham

Hi everyone,

This is our first post, we have our visa and are planning to arrive in Canberra in September!

Our application went quite smoothly - even thought the amount of paperwork, checks and stages to get through seemed pretty daunting at the start. Luckily we had a fantastic migration consultant (Haylock Migration) who steered us through the process seamlessly.

We started our application last August and got the positive VETASSESS result in November, followed by getting State Sponsorship in January. Our Skilled Sponsored Migrant Visa (176) was approved just a few weeks afterwards!

We've just sold our house so are in the process of organising shipping, banks, pet import etc. There's a lot do to but we can't wait!

Hoping to be around for a Poms in Oz Canberra get together in the spring!

Nicola and Craig Woolham

Hi - Canberra is a great place to live. It is an easy drive to the beach in summer or to the snow in Winter. Lots of free things to do on the weekends as well as local wineries etc in the ACT area.

Hope everything goes well with your move.

Guest TheWoolhams

Hi there!

Thanks for your message.

Everything that you mentioned appeals to us massively - we love the outdoors in sun and snow. We've not been able to get to Europe to ski / board for a few years so are looking forward to the opportunity in Australia. As for the beaches and wineries, I'll definitely be there (Nicola!).

We'll keep you updated with our move.

Nic and Craig

Hi Quoll,

No we don't have kids, i'm a vehicle mechanic by trade and working for one of the franchises, my employers going to put us up in a hotel for ten days and a hire car for 7, hopefully that'll be long enough to get a place to rent (how easy it is these days to get a half decent rental,do you know?)and get a car, we've got to sort our own flights out which isn't a problem as we were thinking of staying in Melbourne for a couple of weeks to stay with relatives before we travel to Canberra.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Not been on here for a while but my wife (Claire) and i are now 98% on our way to Canberra! 457 visa granted, Flights booked, some stuff on the way over, just looking for accomodation to rent now which is in hand with an agent, so nearly there. Can't wait!

Alfie and Claire

Hi All ,

WE,RE ON OUR WAY! 457 granted ,Flights booked for end of August,someone to rent the house, some of our stuff on the way out, party booked in the pub, just looking for accomodtion now, going through an agent so hopefully get somewhere before we get there , can't wait now.

Alfie and Claire

Guest 101126

It's with a very sad heart that as the father of Squem who started this thread which we hope has been of much help to emigrating Poms to Canberra that I write to inform you of the passing of our beautiful daughter Emma. Emma was sadly diagnosed with an incurable cancer in June of last year, but despite this prognosis Emma never gave up or lost her passion for life, she fought Cancer with great dignity, courage and humour with great support from friends, family and medical staff at the Canberra Hospital.

The medical staff at the Canberra hospital never tired in their efforts to help Emma through her suffering with cancer, providing both radiation and about 20 rounds of chemotherapy which kept emma with us longer than they had earlier diagnosed, I am sure this is as much down to their efforts and Emma's sheer determination.

For those that got to know Emma through this thread and through her many journeys in to the chat room here, you will know that Emma had a wonderful if not sarcastic sense of humour which she tried to maintain through her suffering, she had the ability to smile and make you feel at ease, she was naturally liked by so many people and that has shone through on a parallel post started by Bobj elsewhere on this site where many have posted such nice comments regarding our sad loss.

A number of people have asked how they can help and the only response I can give is that the family have chosen to donate to the Canberra hospital foundation in recognition of the unending care and love that they provided to Emma, if there are others that would like to do so then they can do so at: http://canberrahospitalfoundation.org.au/ and selecting the donate now button and we would ask that donations be directed to the Capital regional cancer services department and mention 'Emma Jeffery' within the comments section. All funds are directed to the care and well being of cancer suffers at the hospital.

I am sure that many here will, like us miss our beautiful Emma and we thank you for the wonderful condolences that have already been given.

Good luck to everyone, here in Canberra or still planning on coming.

Peter

Archived