Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Guest Squem

I was thinking the other day when I logged in and saw a few ACT SS posts that there seem to be alot more people applying for ACT sponsorship then what there was when we applied....

So i thought i'd start a thread for all us Canberra PIO'ers to discuss where we are with the applications or actual move! And then hopefully organise meet ups in Canberra through this thread...

Well where should I start.... We have our visa and are currently trying to sell the house.... headache central!! There are 5 of us moving, me (Emma, 22), my dad (11026 on this forum), my mum (not on PIO still trying to train her up on a bluming computer) and my 2 sisters (1 is 17 and the other is 20). We have to validate the visa by February but we are hoping to move for good in January

Anyways I'm hopefully going to go to Canberra Uni and my dad is going to get back into some IT related job haha!!

Be good to hear everyone else's story....

YAY ACT :jiggy:

BOBJ > No sarccy comments about canberra please haha!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest destinationoz

Hiya Emma!

great idea!

we've just been approved for ACT SS and will hopefully submit our 176 app in next couple of weeks - we're not using an agent so find the help on here very useful!

There's 3 of us, me and hubby and our little man who's 6 ...

Can't think about selling our house yet until we defo get visa - got to go thru the worrying parts yet of getting meds and character ref - we could fall at the meds hurdle!!

anyway - i'll keep you posted ....*

Guest Squem

Ahhh YAY congratulations on the SS!! That's a step in the right direction eh!

This site is definately useful for information... we used an agent for our application as it was a little bit more difficult for us due to me and my sister technically not being dependents on the parents!

Fingers crossed on you passing your medicals... good luck! :)

Emma x

I didn't go for SS as my wife is an aussie. I am on a 309 visa (i think) and hadn't even thought about moving to Australia before I met my wife. I'll get my PR in April and hopefully get my citizenship soon afterwards though the defence force. For the time being I am working down in Fyshwick in a job thats quite good but needs to pay more. Good luck with the move emma and maybe see you soon in Canberra

Guest Ange DB

Hi Emma

I am trying to build up some contacts too.. There is me (ange) and hubby (rob) plus our little 2 year old (oliver).. We are right at the start of the state sponorship process and still need to get robs employer refs in so doubt they have even looked at it yet.. we have a way to go.

Really excited though and prob drive everyone mad at work talking about it... and really nervous too.

We are going to wait until we have the visa until we put our house on the market (hopefully prices will rise a bit by then too).. but dont want to think about that yet.

:spinny:

Guest Squem

Welcome to PIO Ange!

Ahhh good luck with your application and make sure you keep us all up to date!!!

Emma x

Hi Emma

We're hoping to go to Canberra. Hubby has job offer & 457 visa submitted 2 weeks ago. New Employer sorting Visa through Agent they use so not likely to hear anything until they need something else. Been quoted 3 mths by employer. Our fingers are crossed.

Jacqui

Guest Samfire

Hi there Squemma Emma and everyone!!!! We're on SS 176 and hoping to be "outta here" by end September (I'm dreaming probably) 2009! There's me 36, Hubby 38, our sons Mark 12 and Alex 4 (he's a demon!). Can't wait to hit Canberra and can't wait to hopefully meet with some of you guys when we all get there. Have to sell the bloody house now - it's a nightmare. Just when we thought the visa application process was stressful, we have to have an extra overdose of stress that we coulda done without! Anyway, on the upside, hubby has a permanent job offer with Union Offset Printers in Fyshwick, Canberra and is really looking forward to starting it, seen as he's been outta work here at home for a while now. I'll be a lady of leisure and won't be working when I get there (ha, ha and yipppeeee!) - I might decide to go back in a few years if it suits me - we'll see! Anyway, great thread Emma - I have voted!!!!

Guest Squem
I didn't go for SS as my wife is an aussie. I am on a 309 visa (i think) and hadn't even thought about moving to Australia before I met my wife. I'll get my PR in April and hopefully get my citizenship soon afterwards though the defence force. For the time being I am working down in Fyshwick in a job thats quite good but needs to pay more. Good luck with the move emma and maybe see you soon in Canberra

Hi Nik,

Missed your message there... didnt reply sorry!!

Good luck with your move... sounds like you have it all sorted!!!

What are you looking to do in the defence force?

Emma

Guest Squem
Hi Emma

We're hoping to go to Canberra. Hubby has job offer & 457 visa submitted 2 weeks ago. New Employer sorting Visa through Agent they use so not likely to hear anything until they need something else. Been quoted 3 mths by employer. Our fingers are crossed.

Jacqui

Hey Jacqui,

Welcome to PIO!

What job is your husband going to be doing!? Congrats on the job offer :)

Emma

Guest Squem
Hi there Squemma Emma and everyone!!!! We're on SS 176 and hoping to be "outta here" by end September (I'm dreaming probably) 2009! There's me 36, Hubby 38, our sons Mark 12 and Alex 4 (he's a demon!). Can't wait to hit Canberra and can't wait to hopefully meet with some of you guys when we all get there. Have to sell the bloody house now - it's a nightmare. Just when we thought the visa application process was stressful, we have to have an extra overdose of stress that we coulda done without! Anyway, on the upside, hubby has a permanent job offer with Union Offset Printers in Fyshwick, Canberra and is really looking forward to starting it, seen as he's been outta work here at home for a while now. I'll be a lady of leisure and won't be working when I get there (ha, ha and yipppeeee!) - I might decide to go back in a few years if it suits me - we'll see! Anyway, great thread Emma - I have voted!!!!

Hey Samfire!

I'm glad we are not the only ones going through a headache when it comes to selling the house! Nightmare eh! Just want to sell it so we can go!

Congrats on the job offer! Did he get that from applying here in the UK or has he been over to Oz and met potential employers?

Lady of leisure... love it!! Get to spend your time exploring! You can be our eyes and ears and report back to us all with the places we should visit :)

Can't wait to meet up with everyone in Canberra... will make the process a lot easier if there are people going through the same big move as us!

Thanks for the votes! Lets try and keep this thread going so ACT gets the forum space .. because lets be honest everyone just talks about QLD and SA ha ha! :)

Emma

Hey Jacqui,

Welcome to PIO!

What job is your husband going to be doing!? Congrats on the job offer :)

Emma

Thank you for the welcome.

Hubby is a vehicle technician, mechanic in normal language, job was from advert in England. We're really looking forward to it now so keeping fingers well crossed.

It's great to see others are heading for Canberra,

Guest boothy

Hiya Emma

We (me 28, hubby 31, 2 girls 6 and 2) are heading for Canberra later this year/early next. Just had a case officer allocated and going for meds next week so should have our visa soon.

Nice to read about others going to Canberra

Sam x

Guest brizziebound

Hi everyone,

we gained state sponsorship last week and are now waiting for our visa to be issued hopefully quite soon, really looking forward to moving out to Canberra and experiencing all it has to offer.

We are myself Martin , wifey and 2 daughters 22 & 19.

Reading all the posts regarding Canberra with great interest and seems like a great bunch of people heading there, are there any more construction workers heading out everyone seems to be in IT

looking forward to getting out there and meeting some PIO members

Martin

Guest Squem

Hi Martin,

Congrats on SS :)

Are both of your daughters coming with you? Be interesting to chat to them as me and my sister are going with our family... I'm 22 and my sister is 20 and we would love to meet people our own age!

What are they looking to do once in Canberra?

Good luck with the rest of it.

Emma

Guest brizziebound

Hi emma,

both daughters want to come but since starting visa application are tied up with boyfreinds/ studying/ music scene etc, so I am going easy with the subject of australia on them until we definately get a visa.Then they can make there minds up.

I am sure they will come on PIO one day.

Martin.

Guest Samfire
Hey Samfire!

I'm glad we are not the only ones going through a headache when it comes to selling the house! Nightmare eh! Just want to sell it so we can go!

Congrats on the job offer! Did he get that from applying here in the UK or has he been over to Oz and met potential employers?

Lady of leisure... love it!! Get to spend your time exploring! You can be our eyes and ears and report back to us all with the places we should visit :)

Can't wait to meet up with everyone in Canberra... will make the process a lot easier if there are people going through the same big move as us!

Thanks for the votes! Lets try and keep this thread going so ACT gets the forum space .. because lets be honest everyone just talks about QLD and SA ha ha! :)

Emma

Hi Emma

Yeah, the selling the house end of things is getting worse, not better, but we're heading out anyway! Hubby emailed a few companies last year for research purposes, trying to get a feel for whether or not he'd have a good chance of landing a job once he arrived. He's a printer by the way. He asked a few basic questions like, size of the company, how long in business, is business good/bad at the moment, avg. wage, are there many printing companies in the area etc. A few replied, and one in particular asked him some questions about his experience in the field and even requested his C.V. He sent on his information and they came back with a job offer - just like that!!!! Anyway, he had never even spoken to them on the phone, but he has since. They are a lovely bunch and had sponsored another lad from the UK a couple of years ago and they were very pleased how well that worked out. He was just lucky, but it pays to do some research and try and make a few contacts before you go - you never know!!!:yes:

Talk again soon and will update ye on how the house sale moves along.

xx

Guest Samfire

Excellent Quoll! Great link, thanks for that! Show some respect for Australian ancestry, that's what I say! Aboriginal people have been there long before anybody else and should be entitled to have their sacred heritage and religious landmarks respected!!! I can understand why tourists are fascinated and want to visit, share and be a part of such historic and cultural wonders, but if it is contrary to the sacred and religious beliefs of the indiginous people, this should be respected! We are lucky to be embraced and accepted into such a wonderous and beautiful country. I personally feel that in return, I should to be respectful of the indiginous peoples wishes! Just my view I guess!

Guest Squem
Hi Emma

Yeah, the selling the house end of things is getting worse, not better, but we're heading out anyway! Hubby emailed a few companies last year for research purposes, trying to get a feel for whether or not he'd have a good chance of landing a job once he arrived. He's a printer by the way. He asked a few basic questions like, size of the company, how long in business, is business good/bad at the moment, avg. wage, are there many printing companies in the area etc. A few replied, and one in particular asked him some questions about his experience in the field and even requested his C.V. He sent on his information and they came back with a job offer - just like that!!!! Anyway, he had never even spoken to them on the phone, but he has since. They are a lovely bunch and had sponsored another lad from the UK a couple of years ago and they were very pleased how well that worked out. He was just lucky, but it pays to do some research and try and make a few contacts before you go - you never know!!!:yes:

Talk again soon and will update ye on how the house sale moves along.

xx

Ahh wow that is fantastic! I wish it was always that easy getting a job you want to do ha ha! Well good luck to you both!

Definately keep in contact! :)

Emma xx

Guest Squem
You guys might like to read RiotACT RiotACT which is Canberra's own blog. Just to give you a feel for what is going on.

Thanks for that Quoll... definately an interesting read!

x

Guest Samfire

Hi fellow Canberran wanabees! Just an update on our plans - we booked our flights!!!!! Such a big step - weird feeling, but we're definitely off on Sunday, 27th September. Flying out from Dublin at 10pm with Etihad Airlines. Stopping in Abu Dhabi for 3 hours and then it's onto Sydney direct. Will arrive at 6.20am Tuesday morning local time. Flights were very reasonable - €2,289 for 4 of us one way! Starting to sell off most of our stuff that we're not shipping. It's all go - I'm mentally exhausted! Will keep you all posted.

Archived