Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Well I'm the same age as you and to be honest it's good to know someone else is in same situation as me!

mum, bro and sis live there, although sis is here to see dad at the moment and won't be back til January.

I'm planning on speaking to mum this weekend to get flights sorted..... sadness is disappearing and nerves are kicking in now :eek:

Ah cool same age! :) Can I ask what your name is? LH doesnt sound very good lol!

There are some good deals on STA travel return flights for £489! I got mine from Singapore and it cost £875.

I can't wait to go there .. if only for 2 weeks but its still exciting! I reckon my nerves and sadness will kick in when i go for good!

Em

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah cool same age! :) Can I ask what your name is? LH doesnt sound very good lol!

There are some good deals on STA travel return flights for £489! I got mine from Singapore and it cost £875.

I can't wait to go there .. if only for 2 weeks but its still exciting! I reckon my nerves and sadness will kick in when i go for good!

Em

I usually fly qantas, but unfortunately this is one of the more expensive times to be going.

Have you been over before?

I was fine all the times before I went for holidays, it's just now I'm getting scared. I know I'm doing the right thing 100% but I have to keep telling myself I'm only there for a year and that it will be fine. Not even started my packing yet :eek:

So what will you do there? uni or work??

lauren

I usually fly qantas, but unfortunately this is one of the more expensive times to be going.

Have you been over before?

I was fine all the times before I went for holidays, it's just now I'm getting scared. I know I'm doing the right thing 100% but I have to keep telling myself I'm only there for a year and that it will be fine. Not even started my packing yet :eek:

So what will you do there? uni or work??

lauren

I've flown Virgin over to Australia before and it was awful would never fly with them doesnt matter what the price :yes:

I went over there in 2006 and did some travelling... i loved it!

I'm hoping to go to uni to study events and tourism management but it depends on money etc. If i can get a good job then i may take that option.

How comes you are only going over there for a year?

Emma x

I've flown Virgin over to Australia before and it was awful would never fly with them doesnt matter what the price :yes:

I went over there in 2006 and did some travelling... i loved it!

I'm hoping to go to uni to study events and tourism management but it depends on money etc. If i can get a good job then i may take that option.

How comes you are only going over there for a year?

Emma x

I'm not, I'm going perm but I keep telling myself it's only for a year in case I get homesick!

What uni will you go to?

I considered it but I would have to move to another state and I'd prefer to get settled in first as you can't do my course in ACT.

Where's your stop-over, by the way?

I'm not, I'm going perm but I keep telling myself it's only for a year in case I get homesick!

What uni will you go to?

I considered it but I would have to move to another state and I'd prefer to get settled in first as you can't do my course in ACT.

Where's your stop-over, by the way?

Ooo ok I understand now! I'm dreading the homesickness but at least I will be with the family :)

I have a few options at the moment either stay in canberra for a year to earn some money and then go to brisbane uni or stay in Canberra and go to canberra uni or just work full time I can't decide.

How comes u have decided to move over there now?

My stopover is singapore for 12 hours :(

Ooo ok I understand now! I'm dreading the homesickness but at least I will be with the family :)

I have a few options at the moment either stay in canberra for a year to earn some money and then go to brisbane uni or stay in Canberra and go to canberra uni or just work full time I can't decide.

How comes u have decided to move over there now?

My stopover is singapore for 12 hours :(

I'm just fed up of this country to be honest! I always knew I'd go, it was just a case of when. A psychic even told me I would go when I had already lodged my visa app.

Got some bad news regarding my gran last night, so I haven't been able to book the flight yet. My mum is probably going to be coming back to UK and wants me to fly back with her, but when that will be nobody knows....

I've decided to work for a year to get settled in then look at college or uni, brisbane would be really good. I'm desperate to drive up to QLD, my sis reckons the gold coast is great.

so where you staying at the moment, emma?

I'm just fed up of this country to be honest! I always knew I'd go, it was just a case of when. A psychic even told me I would go when I had already lodged my visa app.

Got some bad news regarding my gran last night, so I haven't been able to book the flight yet. My mum is probably going to be coming back to UK and wants me to fly back with her, but when that will be nobody knows....

I've decided to work for a year to get settled in then look at college or uni, brisbane would be really good. I'm desperate to drive up to QLD, my sis reckons the gold coast is great.

so where you staying at the moment, emma?

Sound very much like me... i'm very fed up on this country too :)

Oh nooo so sorry to hear you have had some bad news about your gran :( I hope she is ok.

Gold Coast is lovely... i loved it there! My friend lives in Noosa which is stunning! I've never been to canberra so its hard to make a decision about where i want to be when i'm there to be honest so i'm just waiting until i visit.

I'm in Buckinghamshire living with my friend at the moment which is good it's just costing me a small fortune :( x

Sound very much like me... i'm very fed up on this country too :)

Oh nooo so sorry to hear you have had some bad news about your gran :( I hope she is ok.

Gold Coast is lovely... i loved it there! My friend lives in Noosa which is stunning! I've never been to canberra so its hard to make a decision about where i want to be when i'm there to be honest so i'm just waiting until i visit.

I'm in Buckinghamshire living with my friend at the moment which is good it's just costing me a small fortune :( x

Are you anywhere near Amersham? I have family there... I'm in edinburgh. The aussies love our accents so we'll be a novelty for a while :laugh:

Canberra is nice. People from other places will ask you why you want to live there but it suits me as I wouldn't like a big city (I'm from a small town) but I couldn't live in the countryside

I'm sure you'll like it. What do your family make of it so far?

Hi this is squem's dad, we love it so far and love the fact that whilst technically a city it does not feel like one despite having all the facilities of one. We can't wait until Emma arrives

Hi this is squem's dad, we love it so far and love the fact that whilst technically a city it does not feel like one despite having all the facilities of one. We can't wait until Emma arrives

Forgot you were related!

glad you like it so much.... Any luck with more permanent accommodation?

Are you anywhere near Amersham? I have family there... I'm in edinburgh. The aussies love our accents so we'll be a novelty for a while :laugh:

Canberra is nice. People from other places will ask you why you want to live there but it suits me as I wouldn't like a big city (I'm from a small town) but I couldn't live in the countryside

I'm sure you'll like it. What do your family make of it so far?

Amersham is about an hour away from me.... :)

ha ha ha yeah you are right they do love our accents... its fun to start with and then it gets annoying when they keep asking you to say something :wacko:

My dad (11026) has answered the question already i see ha ha!! Fingers crossed i will like it when i get there

• 4 weeks later...
So it's nearly Christmas and I was wondering what the good POMs in Canberra as they are away from friends and family? As i married an aussie i will be spending it with her and our son at my mother-in-laws having a turkey etc, what about everyone else?

Down in Ballarat with the outlaws:rolleyes: and it looks as if I am doing the cooking this year as well. First Christmas we will have with the granddaughter though and as she is 2 that should be lots of fun because she knows all about presents!

Down in Ballarat with the outlaws:rolleyes: and it looks as if I am doing the cooking this year as well. First Christmas we will have with the granddaughter though and as she is 2 that should be lots of fun because she knows all about presents!

My son is just shy of a year old so he just thinks the world is a wonderful place and boxes are great to play with, he has no idea about it all. Really looking forward to him being excited though. Hopefully my mum will sort out her computer so she has skype and she can see him opening his presents, and then prob trying to eat the wrapping paper

We are not completely sure what we are doing, we might drive down to the beach for the day with Claire and our dog, or go around new found friends who have invited us over, we might even have a Turkey salad and chill all day and then call home in the evening, either way it will be a new experience

• 2 weeks later...

Hellooooo Everyone!

How are you all? Did you all have a good Christmas?

Mine was definately a weird one... spent the day at my nan's but it just wasn't the same without my parents and youngest sister there!

I hope everyone had a good one :)

Squem x

Yep xmas was very quiet but unique with it just being the three of us, and knowing it would be my last one here!

So I got my visa and my flight is now booked for 10th.... I will be arriving on the 12th in the early hours.

I'm really really nervous and an emotional wreck cos i'm leaving my very close friend who I live with, we both keep looking at each other and getting upset. He's a state at the moment!!

How did you like Canberra, Emma?

We had a week at the Coast, near Nowra.

Great time there, and with the bonus of thunderstorms on Xmas Day and Boxing day!

Back in Canberra now. We tried going to see this;

Masterpieces from Paris - HOME

today, but the queues were miles long so we didn't bother. It's here until April though, I'll go have a butchers when the schools go back.

Will be down at the Lakes for the fireworks on NYE!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sabink

Gives we are doing a reccie visit in June, so would like to meet up with a few of you - as my wife will need some convincing Canberra is for her - so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help me

Question for you: IT jobs and Canberra, getting negatives from the recruitment agencies. Tied to Canberra with SS, what are my options here?

Yep xmas was very quiet but unique with it just being the three of us, and knowing it would be my last one here!

So I got my visa and my flight is now booked for 10th.... I will be arriving on the 12th in the early hours.

I'm really really nervous and an emotional wreck cos i'm leaving my very close friend who I live with, we both keep looking at each other and getting upset. He's a state at the moment!!

How did you like Canberra, Emma?

Hey, So sorry I seem to have missed this message doh!

I really liked Canberra but it is a bit quiet ... and not like the Australia I thought it would be like!! Everything is so spaced out and everyone is really friendly!

I guess you are off in a few days then! GOOD LUCK :) I'm sure you will love it! I'll drop you a message when i'm there if you like! Booked my flight for the 4th April!

x

We had a week at the Coast, near Nowra.

Great time there, and with the bonus of thunderstorms on Xmas Day and Boxing day!

Back in Canberra now. We tried going to see this;

Masterpieces from Paris - HOME

today, but the queues were miles long so we didn't bother. It's here until April though, I'll go have a butchers when the schools go back.

Will be down at the Lakes for the fireworks on NYE!

Did you have a good one Taff?? My parents went to Lake Jindabayne (no idea how its spelt haha) they loved it!

Gives we are doing a reccie visit in June, so would like to meet up with a few of you - as my wife will need some convincing Canberra is for her - so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help me

Question for you: IT jobs and Canberra, getting negatives from the recruitment agencies. Tied to Canberra with SS, what are my options here?

Hey Sabink!

I'm sure my mum and dad and jackieB and her husband will be more than happy to meet up with you! They seem to be going out quite a bit :)

I'll be there from April so can arrange something nearer the time if you would like?

My dad had the same concerns as you but he seems to have landed on his feet. Got a temp job over christmas which i think may go permanent (not sure though). To be honest my dad went over there during a difficult period (christmas and new year) so he didnt expect to get anything until February time.

Emma

Hey, So sorry I seem to have missed this message doh!

I really liked Canberra but it is a bit quiet ... and not like the Australia I thought it would be like!! Everything is so spaced out and everyone is really friendly!

I guess you are off in a few days then! GOOD LUCK :) I'm sure you will love it! I'll drop you a message when i'm there if you like! Booked my flight for the 4th April!

x

thanks, I'm glad you liked it

Yeah I'm off on sunday, I'm having a leaving party on fri and I've just spent today packing up my house. My suitcase is near enough ready too and is looking a sad sight in the corner...

Getting really nervous now, mostly for saying bye to everyone.

You've still got a bit to go but I bet you feel better now you have a final date.

Yeah def do that, by then I should be quite the canberra expert:laugh:

thanks, I'm glad you liked it

Yeah I'm off on sunday, I'm having a leaving party on fri and I've just spent today packing up my house. My suitcase is near enough ready too and is looking a sad sight in the corner...

Getting really nervous now, mostly for saying bye to everyone.

You've still got a bit to go but I bet you feel better now you have a final date.

Yeah def do that, by then I should be quite the canberra expert:laugh:

Ahhh how exciting!! You're bound to be nervous but after the initial first months you will probably love it!

I feel tonnes better now I have a date was getting a bit fed up waking up in the morning saying 'when will I go' haha!

Cool well good luck with the flight and settling in! Drop us a message when you have sorted yourself out! :)

Emma x

Guest Mike1585

Hi Emma and all,

Thanks for setting up this thread, its really good to read about other peoples moves, I'm moving across to Canberra on 16th Jan to try my hand at a new job assuming the snow lets up here.

Going to be living in Kingston for 1st couple of months and working in Phillip, have got about 10 days to explore Canberra before work starts so hopefully will get a feel for a bit of it (as haven't done a recce).

What you planning on studying at CU?

lh071 are you also moving to Canberra alone?

If you or anyone on thread fancies meet ups at some point that'd be great as its only really dawned on me that i literally know noone out in OZ bar some family friends of friends of friends...

Cheers

Mike

Archived