Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Hi Jacqui,

Good luck to yourself and Steve, I hope you settle in well and Steve enjoys work on the 16th.

Peter

Thanks Peter

We're really looking forward to it now as only just over a week to go the people at Steve's new Company have been great & are even picking us up from the airport so I reacon we'll enjoy it.

Prehaps we'll see you over there when you arrive.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG you chaps, dont train, bus or drive down from Sydney - train is worse than useless. Bus would be a good option if you dont mind prolonging your journey for 3 - 4 hours but at least you can kip on the bus. Driving down - and, yes, I have done it several times - is a bad move. You will be knackered and the road is as boring as b*tsh*t if you can actually find your way out of the airport and onto the freeway (dont forget enough change to pay the toll about 20km from the airport) and unless you are totally awake (there are stops at Pheasants Nest, Sutton Forest, Marulan and Goulburn to top up the caffeine intake) it is absolutely not worth the savings. Get the plane down to Canberra - it's easy enough to transfer to the domestic terminal, only costs around $100 per person on cheap rates and only takes you half an hour.

If you must drive then get the bus - they wont worry about the luggage allowance afaik. And you will end up right in the centre of town. The Hume is a very easy road to fall asleep on!

Guest Samfire
Hi ACT friends

Just a quick note to let you know our visa was granted today. Can't wait to see you all in ACT

The Booths

That's super news - congratulations!!! Now the real fun begins!!!! Best of luck with the move and hope to see you in ACT!

Guest Samfire
OMG you chaps, dont train, bus or drive down from Sydney - train is worse than useless. Bus would be a good option if you dont mind prolonging your journey for 3 - 4 hours but at least you can kip on the bus. Driving down - and, yes, I have done it several times - is a bad move. You will be knackered and the road is as boring as b*tsh*t if you can actually find your way out of the airport and onto the freeway (dont forget enough change to pay the toll about 20km from the airport) and unless you are totally awake (there are stops at Pheasants Nest, Sutton Forest, Marulan and Goulburn to top up the caffeine intake) it is absolutely not worth the savings. Get the plane down to Canberra - it's easy enough to transfer to the domestic terminal, only costs around $100 per person on cheap rates and only takes you half an hour.

If you must drive then get the bus - they wont worry about the luggage allowance afaik. And you will end up right in the centre of town. The Hume is a very easy road to fall asleep on!

I quite agree Quoll!! Having researched all options ourselves, we've decided on a connecting flight!!! I don't think I could hack a bus or train with kids after such a long journey! Half an hour sounds good to me!!!

Hi Samfie

Regarding Singapore Airlines and my extra long stopover in Singapore, i have confirmed with Singapore Airlines that we are free to leave the terminal and make use of facilities in other terminals and are free to visit more widely. Thankfully none of us will be like Tom Hanks in 'the terminal', I have confirmed with the airline that we can check our luggage all the way through to Sydney when checking in at Heathrow, when we arrive at Singapore we can go to the immigration desk and get a social visit pass (we surrender our passport) and then we are free to move freely between terminals and even attend a free tour of singapore, spend £6 or so on swimming, jacuzzi sauna etc. The facilities look to be excellent and there are napping rooms as well that you can book into (for a small fee). Anyone wanting to look at facilities in the airport can do so at Experience Changi One last thing I would like to do is to visit a colleague in Singapore so I might try to do that to. So all in all I am not to concerned about the layover, but it might be a different story once I have done it.

Well after reading the above I think i've been had!!! Dude.. i'm so flying out via Singapore when I go haha!

Hi ACT friends

Just a quick note to let you know our visa was granted today. Can't wait to see you all in ACT

The Booths

YAY congratulations!!! :)

Guest wossall

Hi Boothy

Congratulations on your visa, when are you hoping to go, we are hoping to go on holiday july 2010 to check it out and look at areas and schools.

Good luck with everything.

Lynne

Hi Boothy

Congratulations on your visa, when are you hoping to go, we are hoping to go on holiday july 2010 to check it out and look at areas and schools.

Good luck with everything.

Lynne

Thanks Lynne

Estate agent came today so hopefully if we can get a sale in the next month or 2 we can go Feb 2010.

Hope 2 c u all there

Sam

Guest destinationoz

Hi all fellow ACT people!!

Not been on here for a few weeks - just been to Rhodes, Greece for 2 fantastic, relaxing weeks following a frantic week getting our visa application submitted...

We arrived home yesterday to an email from DIAC requesting our Health and Police Checks - so I'm guessing that's from our assigned case officer although they didn't set any deadline which concerns me ... however its exciting that it seems to moving ahead already ... but not nearly so exciting as all your news ....

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS to you all who have just got your visa's granted - that is so brilliant and fantastic - I'm loving reading all your emails about travel etc - it makes it all real ...

How are house sales going etc?

Anyway - I'll be on here again soon to catch up ...

Desty

hey guys, thought id let ya all know, my parents moved to the ACT 7 months ago and love it! plenty of work , lovely houses not too busy city etc. i spent 3 months there it was great, we cant wait to go back. Nicholls is a nice area!! if you go to Nicholls, pop into the George Harcourt Inn pub, its a "pommy" pub, i worked there a while, lots of brits visit an they do a mean chips and gravy and pints, yes pints!!! (not schooners or middys!) which was cool, lovely landlord. everyone i spoke to says "why go to canberra, its boring" but its not, its lovely. also a nice coffee bar/rest in civic called cream. lovely! good luck all, see you there soon we hope x

hey guys, thought id let ya all know, my parents moved to the ACT 7 months ago and love it! plenty of work , lovely houses not too busy city etc. i spent 3 months there it was great, we cant wait to go back. Nicholls is a nice area!! if you go to Nicholls, pop into the George Harcourt Inn pub, its a "pommy" pub, i worked there a while, lots of brits visit an they do a mean chips and gravy and pints, yes pints!!! (not schooners or middys!) which was cool, lovely landlord. everyone i spoke to says "why go to canberra, its boring" but its not, its lovely. also a nice coffee bar/rest in civic called cream. lovely! good luck all, see you there soon we hope x

The landlord at the GH is a real comedian - he has a very nice line in patter - he does that Cinderalla (Rindecella) monologue beautifully. Their bangers and mash is good! And if you get homesick there is a model English village - Cockington Green - right next door.

Not been on here for a few weeks - just been to Rhodes, Greece for 2 fantastic, relaxing weeks following a frantic week getting our visa application submitted...

We arrived home yesterday to an email from DIAC requesting our Health and Police Checks - so I'm guessing that's from our assigned case officer although they didn't set any deadline which concerns me ... however its exciting that it seems to moving ahead already ... but not nearly so exciting as all your news ....

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS to you all who have just got your visa's granted - that is so brilliant and fantastic - I'm loving reading all your emails about travel etc - it makes it all real ...

Desty

Hi Desty

Good news on getting your case officer, hopefully it will not be lng before you get your pcc and medicals completed and get the final confirmation on your visa.

Desty

Ooooo Congrats on your latest development desty!!

Just had another viewing on our house... they loved it but havent sold their house yet so dont want to make an offer until they do ..Grr!

Emma

The landlord at the GH is a real comedian - he has a very nice line in patter - he does that Cinderalla (Rindecella) monologue beautifully. Their bangers and mash is good! And if you get homesick there is a model English village - Cockington Green - right next door.

ah thats Mike the bar manager, hes been there forever hes a funny one, lovely guy. the landlord Gil is a good guy too - love the Ridecella joke!!!!! Mike is famous! lol:biglaugh:

Just asked the misses about the pub and she said it was quite a nice pub so for Farthers day I might ask to go down there tomorrow

excellent, have fun! u may wana bok, sundays are manic, i used to work there! sunday nights, $10 shnitzels also v good!

Hi sam

I am currently in the process of researching everything ACT and came across your post.

after a years wait i am now able to aply for ACT SS because my trade Graphic Pre Press is on the new ACT list

i was very encouraged to see that your husband has managed to get a job in the printing trade. did u find there are plenty of printing jobs in canberra ? as finding work is my biggest concern . because of your post i think i will send out my CV to a few printing companys.

thank u and good luck with your move

hopefully i will be out there soon !!

marc

Ooooo Congrats on your latest development desty!!

Just had another viewing on our house... they loved it but havent sold their house yet so dont want to make an offer until they do ..Grr!

Emma

Hiya Emma

Positive news, you never know, they may get a buyer in the next few days. Fingers x for you

Sam

Hi All,

Flights booked as well as first 5 weeks accommodation. we opted for a 2 Bed Spa appartment in Griffith with www.canbhol.com.au as our temporary home until we can rent something in the longer term, so expect to spend the first week or so looking at areas that have interested us from afar.

We arrive on the 30th October and of couse like everyone else who has emigrated are now busy finalising plans, seeing friends etc.

Peter

Guest Samfire
Hi sam

I am currently in the process of researching everything ACT and came across your post.

after a years wait i am now able to aply for ACT SS because my trade Graphic Pre Press is on the new ACT list

i was very encouraged to see that your husband has managed to get a job in the printing trade. did u find there are plenty of printing jobs in canberra ? as finding work is my biggest concern . because of your post i think i will send out my CV to a few printing companys.

thank u and good luck with your move

hopefully i will be out there soon !!

marc

Hi Marc

Glad to see that we have made a positive impact to some degree - I only hope it's not misleading, as hubby came across the position by pure chance. Friends of ours have moved over to ACT since July this year, and Simon who's a printer, has not managed to land a printing job yet. He may not be actively looking at the moment, because I believe he landed alternative work pretty much straight away. I'll get hubby to keep his ear to the ground and if he hears of any printing jobs once we get over there, I'll be sure to post on here! Best of luck and hope to see you out there!

P.S. Fyshwick is your best bet for searching printing companies, as it is the industrial section of Canberra.

Archived