Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Guest Samfire
Hi All,

Flights booked as well as first 5 weeks accommodation. we opted for a 2 Bed Spa appartment in Griffith with www.canbhol.com.au as our temporary home until we can rent something in the longer term, so expect to spend the first week or so looking at areas that have interested us from afar.

We arrive on the 30th October and of couse like everyone else who has emigrated are now busy finalising plans, seeing friends etc.

Peter

We'll be staying on your street in Griffith too, as will Spin2diz!!! Give us a shout when you arrive!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll be staying on your street in Griffith too, as will Spin2diz!!! Give us a shout when you arrive!

Will do Samfire, not sure whether Squem will be with us as she has not confirmed the dates that she is coming, but Tracy, I and my other two daughters will be there.

Guest Samfire

Great Peter - I know Squem won't be arriving for awhile, but sure we'll meet up upon your arrival when you've had a couple of days to get your bearings! Best of luck and see you out there!!!

just done our meds, and passed, so expect visas by xmas and a validation trip early in 2010. would love to organise a social event then, to see whats what

Guest wossall

Hi

Congratulations on your meds, you will probably get your visas within a couple of weeks. We received our visas within a couple of weeks of receiving them receiving our meds/police checks.

Good Luck

Lynne

Guest The Newboroughs

Hi de hi all,

We lodged our 176 SS by ACT on Monday 7th Sept. Its all very daunting! Uploading files and the like, not really knowing if i've done it all properly. We didn't use an agent.

There are four of us me Sam, my hubby Paul and our two little sprogs James 5 and Jodie 2. My bro lives in Sydney so we are looking forward to seeing more of him but not looking forward to missing the rest of our family/friends. Its all just getting a bit more real eeaaak!

We have taken the step of putting our house on the market as things are supposed to be slow at the mo. Thinking it might take 6 months to get an offer but hey ho what do you know we got a good offer the other day. Now rather worried that we might not get visa and will have no home! Ah well we'll have capital to do something else with. No good being a glass half full person is it?

We have listened to all the negative comments about Canberra from people and hope that we get on well there. We just watch the Moutain bike world cup take place there. Looks good for biking!

Well rambled enough. Hello to every one hopefully heading that way.:wink: Sam x

Guest Samfire
just done our meds, and passed, so expect visas by xmas and a validation trip early in 2010. would love to organise a social event then, to see whats what

Thats Great news Sabink - such a relief to pass the meds - not long now till visa grant! Should be no time at all! See you there in 2010!:jiggy:

Guest Samfire

Hi Newboroughs! That's good news about the house! We were in that boat not long ago (just before the recession) and were afraid to sell our house in case we didn't get our visas. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - we now wish we had sold when times were good and our house would have been snapped up!!! As it stands, we can't sell our house at all now so we have to rent it out until the economy recovers (its worse here in Ireland than in UK). It's a hard call to decide whether or not to sell when you haven't got your visas in hand! If you get State Sponsorship, I'd definitely consider putting it on the market. Good luck with your visa application and hopefully will see you all in Canberra soon - I quite like the idea of living in Canberra and wouldn't want to be heading for anywhere else to be honest. I'll let you know if I still feel that way after we get there - 2.5wks and counting!!!!

Hi to all of you.....

We have our visa and have to validate by end Jul 2010. Just have to sell our business then we are off...... There is me (Laurie), hubby Rex, Gemma (6) and Brendon (almost 4). Will be good to meet all in Canberra. We have already met and "made friends" with The Booths!!:biggrin:

Laurie x

Hi to all of you.....

We have our visa and have to validate by end Jul 2010. Just have to sell our business then we are off...... There is me (Laurie), hubby Rex, Gemma (6) and Brendon (almost 4). Will be good to meet all in Canberra. We have already met and "made friends" with The Booths!!:biggrin:

Laurie x

CONGRATULATIONS Laurie and Family!! :)

Hi de hi all,

We lodged our 176 SS by ACT on Monday 7th Sept. Its all very daunting! Uploading files and the like, not really knowing if i've done it all properly. We didn't use an agent.

There are four of us me Sam, my hubby Paul and our two little sprogs James 5 and Jodie 2. My bro lives in Sydney so we are looking forward to seeing more of him but not looking forward to missing the rest of our family/friends. Its all just getting a bit more real eeaaak!

We have taken the step of putting our house on the market as things are supposed to be slow at the mo. Thinking it might take 6 months to get an offer but hey ho what do you know we got a good offer the other day. Now rather worried that we might not get visa and will have no home! Ah well we'll have capital to do something else with. No good being a glass half full person is it?

We have listened to all the negative comments about Canberra from people and hope that we get on well there. We just watch the Moutain bike world cup take place there. Looks good for biking!

Well rambled enough. Hello to every one hopefully heading that way.:wink: Sam x

Hey Newbouroughs!!

Welcome to the ACT thread!! Good Luck with everything and keep us posted!!

Emma x

Hi Newboroughs

Good Luck with the visa application, and we hope to see you in Canberra when we get there.

We have not put our house on the market yet as we are going over to validate in the summer next year and have a good luck at schools, areas etc.

Will keep everybody informed of progress.

Thanks

Lynne

Guest destinationoz

Hi Everyone for Canberra!

Life been crazy lately so not getting on here much so just adding one big reply!!

Samfire: Congrats on booking your flights! Just 2.5 weeks to go ... that's so exciting but it does seem to be happening really quickly - life must be hectic as you sort everything - good luck with it all and enjoy, enjoy enjoy!! remember - some of us are still here!! Are you taking any of your furniture? Where did you decide to look to live - did you narrow it down?

Wossall: great news on your visa - you got it so quickly - I hope ours is just as quick but I get a feeling it may not be !! (issue or two on the police check from 20 years ago!!!) = may see you there next summer as if we do get a visa and can't sell the house, we will validate next summer too - although preference is to move there then!

Peter (101126) and Squem: Fantastic news on booking your flights and getting the early times sorted - I admit I'm envious!! Squem - hope all goes well here and when you do move - looks like we need you there soon thou cos you've been nominated in another thread as the social lead and I back that!!!

Boothy: Congrats on the visa - excellent news! Hope the house sale goes well and quickly!

The Newboroughs: we submitted our 176 application online soon after you and also intend to put our house on the market. We figured that even if it sells quickly, it will be a few weeks/months before its signed and sealed and if we do get the visa, we,d just have to pull out at the last minute - seems cruel but we gotta be somewhat selfish in Oz planning ... Congrats on selling yours so quick - that's fantastic ...

All other canberra folk ... Good Luck on next steps!!!

We've got our meds next week and waiting for police checks to come back ....

I've got a couple of queries under Form 80 on this Forum - if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it - no probs if not ..........

take care all!!

desty

Hi Desty

Good look with your medicals next week, keep us informed.

Hope to meet up with you next summer if you are there.

It won't be long after your medicals have been finalised you will get your visa.

Hope everything goes well. Speak with you soon.

Lynne

Hey desty!! What thread have I been nominated in? Ha ha :) good luck with your meds and sorting out your police check!

Sorry have no idea about form 80 dad did all of our forms

Emma x

Hi all,

Moved out of our house last week so have not been online, nointernet in the new place as we will only be here till Christmas & everyone wants 12 month contracts - I am typing this note on my mobile so apologies for any typos.

We are going to book our flights this weekend - probably for boxing day into Melbourne then to Kyabram Vic. for a New years eve party we have already had an invite to!

We will then take a few weeks to tour around & have a holiday before arriving in ACT later in January to face reality & knuckle down to buiding our new lives in Aus.

Regarding form 80 we uploaded Catherines (the main applicant) while waiting for a CO but as I have a large family it would have been a knightmare so decided to wait until asked for it & luckily we weren't, also to the guys with the house sale dilemmas - for us waiting for sponsorship was the longest & most agonising part of the process, once we got it the visa was easy so if you get an offer take the money and run!

Not sure if any of this makes sense cos The screen is to small to proof read it so I am posting anyway & will edit or delete when I get on a prper computer...

Rob

ps thanks for starting the thread Squem

Guest destinationoz

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks Rob for the info about Form 80s -

It's very exciting reading your post and imagining your trip - have a superb time and good luck with it all - hopefully see you there!

Well done for the mobile message - it was clear enough!!

Squem - I think it was a thread started by sablink (??) suggesting Canberra lot meeting up and Samfire mentioned you had started this post - which is brilliant - and "we" all think you'd be great at sorting out a social or 2 when folk arrive!! :-)

Cheers!!

Hi to all of you.....

Laurie x

Hiya Laurie

Catch u on skype tonight - had our passports back this morning :)

Speak l8ter

xx

Hi Everyone for Canberra!

Life been crazy lately so not getting on here much so just adding one big reply!!

Samfire: Congrats on booking your flights! Just 2.5 weeks to go ... that's so exciting but it does seem to be happening really quickly - life must be hectic as you sort everything - good luck with it all and enjoy, enjoy enjoy!! remember - some of us are still here!! Are you taking any of your furniture? Where did you decide to look to live - did you narrow it down?

Wossall: great news on your visa - you got it so quickly - I hope ours is just as quick but I get a feeling it may not be !! (issue or two on the police check from 20 years ago!!!) = may see you there next summer as if we do get a visa and can't sell the house, we will validate next summer too - although preference is to move there then!

Peter (101126) and Squem: Fantastic news on booking your flights and getting the early times sorted - I admit I'm envious!! Squem - hope all goes well here and when you do move - looks like we need you there soon thou cos you've been nominated in another thread as the social lead and I back that!!!

Boothy: Congrats on the visa - excellent news! Hope the house sale goes well and quickly!

The Newboroughs: we submitted our 176 application online soon after you and also intend to put our house on the market. We figured that even if it sells quickly, it will be a few weeks/months before its signed and sealed and if we do get the visa, we,d just have to pull out at the last minute - seems cruel but we gotta be somewhat selfish in Oz planning ... Congrats on selling yours so quick - that's fantastic ...

All other canberra folk ... Good Luck on next steps!!!

We've got our meds next week and waiting for police checks to come back ....

I've got a couple of queries under Form 80 on this Forum - if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it - no probs if not ..........

take care all!!

desty

Hiya Desty

We didn't have to do form 80. They never asked for it. After having a read of it i think most of the questions are in the online application so this could be why.

I would leave it unless your co asks for it.

Sam

Hi Desty

We got asked for the form 80 when we got asked to do our medicals and police checks, so you might have got away without doing them.

Good Luck

Lynne

I was thinking the other day when I logged in and saw a few ACT SS posts that there seem to be alot more people applying for ACT sponsorship then what there was when we applied....

So i thought i'd start a thread for all us Canberra PIO'ers to discuss where we are with the applications or actual move! And then hopefully organise meet ups in Canberra through this thread...

Well where should I start.... We have our visa and are currently trying to sell the house.... headache central!! There are 5 of us moving, me (Emma, 22), my dad (11026 on this forum), my mum (not on PIO still trying to train her up on a bluming computer) and my 2 sisters (1 is 17 and the other is 20). We have to validate the visa by February but we are hoping to move for good in January

Anyways I'm hopefully going to go to Canberra Uni and my dad is going to get back into some IT related job haha!!

Be good to hear everyone else's story....

YAY ACT :jiggy:

BOBJ > No sarccy comments about canberra please haha!

Nothing wrong with Canberra other than too many politicians there. Aaargh!

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks Rob for the info about Form 80s -

It's very exciting reading your post and imagining your trip - have a superb time and good luck with it all - hopefully see you there!

Well done for the mobile message - it was clear enough!!

Squem - I think it was a thread started by sablink (??) suggesting Canberra lot meeting up and Samfire mentioned you had started this post - which is brilliant - and "we" all think you'd be great at sorting out a social or 2 when folk arrive!! :-)

Cheers!!

Aha I found it Desty! I would love to organise a few social gatherings! I guess the first few will have to be arranged from my room in the UK haha!

Oooo Guess what folks.... WE'VE SOLD THE HOUSE!!

oooooo yeah! xx

Archived