Choosing a home down under

FirstWorldProblems

What to us Poms need to be aware of when it comes to the differences between living in a house/apartment in Australia?

For family and work reasons, when we move in 2026 we will be out in the Sydney Western Suburbs.  Australian flora really appeals to me and I really want a place that has views of Australian trees from the back deck, so I imagine myself living in a house that backs onto the Lane Cove national park.  I think that would be wonderful but my Aussie wife tells me we would constantly be dealing with spiders, snakes and being woken by kookaburra at 5am.   Is that correct?

image.thumb.png.678fc0b06452d232b1db0945142cea33.png

2018692718_10_1_230808_064254-w4606-h30752018685266_13_1_230803_115220-w1920-h1280

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

What to us Poms need to be aware of when it comes to the differences between living in a house/apartment in Australia?

For family and work reasons, when we move in 2026 we will be out in the Sydney Western Suburbs.  Australian flora really appeals to me and I really want a place that has views of Australian trees from the back deck, so I imagine myself living in a house that backs onto the Lane Cove national park.  I think that would be wonderful but my Aussie wife tells me we would constantly be dealing with spiders, snakes and being woken by kookaburra at 5am.   Is that correct?

image.thumb.png.678fc0b06452d232b1db0945142cea33.png

2018692718_10_1_230808_064254-w4606-h30752018685266_13_1_230803_115220-w1920-h1280

I lived in the dandenong ranges and snakes weren’t an issue, they were about but never a problem. Huntsman by the hundred. I used to catch them under a glass and put them outside. I got an indoor automatic bug spray thing and that stopped the spiders coming in. The birds were really noisy. No gentle dawn chorus! Full throttle banshee level caterwauling. 
That said I prefer birds to cars and we had echidnas and foxes, tawny frog mouths, rosellas, lorikeets etc that balance the kookaburras and cockatoos, which are still fab and are amongst the small number of things I miss.

Obviously that was Victoria, so NSW has some different and more exotic/deadly inhabitants. I’d be more concerned about bush fires than bird noise! I keep reminding myself as we have a soggy summer, at least we aren’t on fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange for an Aussie to be so concerned.  35 years in Sydney and I never, ever saw a snake, even when bushwalking.   Whereas in Queensland and Victoria I've seen several. 

More likely you'll be woken by the cockatoos and lorikeets but that will happen anywhere in Sydney.  Lane Cove is a nice area, glad to hear you're aiming for there rather than further west.

6 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

It's a long time since I lived in Sydney and I'm sure other's will correct me if I'm wrong about this, but Lane Cove is nowhere near the Western Suburbs. The latter is a general term for places much further west, like Blacktown, Seven Hills, and Castle Hill. Even when I lived in Sydney, these places didn't have a great reputation, not to mention they are quite far inland, so get as hot as hell in summer. Lane Cove is more like Lower North Shore / North West Sydney area.

Not to get caught up with semantics my main concern living anywhere close to or within the bush are the mozzies, as they make a beeline straight for me! I usually have to immerse my self in Aeroguard before sitting out in the evenings, which isn't some I like doing given all the chemicals it contains. As others have said, snakes are there, but not really a concern. You're very unlikely to see them unless you go looking, which I don't recommend! Birds will wake you up at the crack of sparrow's, but they do everywhere in Australia. I'm usually up by 5.30 most mornings so it doesn't bother me, and the sounds are quite lovely. You won't have a problem with spiders and other creepy crawlies in you house if you have fly-screens on the windows and doors, and a visit from a pest control company once a year (which will be arranged by your agent if you're renting, at no charge to you). If we're talking more rural bush, then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole given the bushfire risk.

• Like 3

Oh. I didn’t even think about the mozzies. They love me too.  Damn. That’s a problem. 

You’re right about Lane Cove national park. On a map it shows at west lindfield. I just don’t know where it ends and what the name is for what appears to be a continuous, unbroken set of bush and trails that run from there to north Epping and onwards to Thornleigh.   Suburbs either side of that stretch will work for us. 

• Like 1

Do be aware that asbestos was used here until quite late in the seventies. It can be a very expensive issue if you want to extend or alter a house later.

Trees are lovely to see, not close to house though, gums are notorious for dropping limbs!

Get a proper survey, not a requirement in most states or from lenders but……she may not “be right”

Check the bushfire and flood ratings insurance can be almost impossible for some places

Check the internet connection and mobile signal it can vary……a lot!

• Like 5

Here in the bush capital the bloody cockatoos are worse than jumbo jets at antisocial morning hours mind you, I'd take the screeches over the random Koels that visit here every summer - not for nothing are they called the drive you crazy birds. I'd agree with the others, check Bushfire and food risk, broadband connection, mobile coverage (so many black holes). Personally I wouldn't choose to back onto bush - too big a fire risk given the modern land management practices and having eucalypts on your block can be an expensive hobby. We lost 500 homes in Canberra suburbs in 15 minutes a few years ago so fires scare the sh!t out of me.  We are 3 blocks from bush and my DH is paranoid about management on our block because embers travel.

You'll get flies so ensure your fly screens are good. If you're near any standing water you'll get mozzies (they love me, the feeling is not mutual).  If you have a woodpile you'll likely find redbacks and watch out for Sydney funnelwebs. You're not likely to get snakes unless you're right on the bush but you might get lizards in the garden. Keep your screen doors shut and they won't come in.  You might find you get rats and mice occasionally, they often get in under the house.  Possums, if you live in a treed area can find holes into roof spaces and they're a bugger to remove if you get them.   I think Sydney might be more inclined to get cockroaches too - the pest controller will be your mate! 

Asbestos isn't an issue in Canberra any more since they demolished all the Mr Fluffy houses (well almost all) but in other states they haven't been nearly as assiduous. Definitely worth a full survey before you buy. 

Oh, and don't eat the mushrooms, they can kill you. 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Oh. I didn’t even think about the mozzies. They love me too.  Damn. That’s a problem. 

You’re right about Lane Cove national park. On a map it shows at west lindfield. I just don’t know where it ends and what the name is for what appears to be a continuous, unbroken set of bush and trails that run from there to north Epping and onwards to Thornleigh.   Suburbs either side of that stretch will work for us. 

You'll get mozzies in Sydney no matter where you live.  I thought they were bad when I lived in Africa, but you could protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and long pants.  In Australia, the little buggers bite right through clothing.  You'll be fine indoors with good fly screens.   Most mozzies bite after dusk, so if you want to sit outdoors in the evening, you'll need citronella candles or mozzie-zapper lamps (or look for a house with a loggia or veranda with fly screens!).  

The area you're describing is "Upper North Shore".   Unlike most of the rest of Sydney, bushfires are a concern so I'd be cautious about backing onto the National Park for that reason.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We lived in North Ryde and a number of years ago their was a horrible bushfire in the Lane Cove national park.  It crept fairly close to Chatswood and North Ryde.  In fact the Macquarie shopping centre had to close as it was getting very near.

Mozzies weren't a worry there but no matter how fastidious you were, cockroaches were a pain.  We backed onto a large nature reserve so lots of cockatoos   -  noisy buggers and during mating/nesting season the magpies were very aggressive and drew blood when they swooped you.  Never saw a snake but I'm sure they were around.  Don't recall much of a spider problem.  The huntsman spiders are harmless (I think!) and were easy to catch with a glass over them and sliding a piece of paper underneath then deposit them in the garden.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Here in the bush capital the bloody cockatoos are worse than jumbo jets at antisocial morning hours mind you, I'd take the screeches over the random Koels that visit here every summer - not for nothing are they called the drive you crazy birds.

That bird, the koel drove me batty.  The most annoying, monotonous bird call of any bird I can think of.  I swear, if I had had a gun I would have shot it.  That's how maddening it was.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lived in the eastern suburbs of Sydney for over 40 years now. Never had a problem with the temperatures being too hot or too cold. Only need heating for 6-8 weeks a year, only need cooling intermittently. Can manage quite well without any A/C as long as fans available for the few very hot days experienced each summer.

Never had fly screens on any property we've lived in here. Mosquitos not a problem, flies not a problem, spiders not a problem. Cockroaches are the biggest issue; they're endemic in the beachside suburbs and impossible to get rid of entirely though you do get used to them. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

You'll get mozzies in Sydney no matter where you live.  I thought they were bad when I lived in Africa, but you could protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and long pants.  In Australia, the little buggers bite right through clothing.  You'll be fine indoors with good fly screens.   Most mozzies bite after dusk, so if you want to sit outdoors in the evening, you'll need citronella candles or mozzie-zapper lamps (or look for a house with a loggia or veranda with fly screens!).  

The area you're describing is "Upper North Shore".   Unlike most of the rest of Sydney, bushfires are a concern so I'd be cautious about backing onto the National Park for that reason.

Have to disagree with most of this.

No mosquitos where I live in Sydney. None whatsoever.

You certainly don't need a screened veranda in order to sit outside in the evening! Hardly any houses in Sydney would have screened verandas or patios. It's not like Florida..

And I would say that the areas surrounding Lane Cove National Park are classed as North West Sydney. Not 'Upper North Shore' which are the suburbs along the Pacific Highway from Chatswood to Hornsby. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Parley said:

Waking up to Kookaburras would be lovely. It won't be 5am i don't think but around dawn maybe.

Living with kookaburras is a privelidge. We get a few near me in the park. Never hear them to wake me up though.

Have plenty near me, took these photos at a friends house, their expressions made me laugh

Was Trying to do this in a hurry, always a mistake!!!

IMG_9435.jpeg

IMG_9436.jpeg

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ramot said:

When you have days like this, 27’ in a Mooloolaba winter, who cares about the mozzies, snakes and all the other miserable things people have posted about, not a bad place to live!

BA7DB5F8-9512-42CA-8B74-839FE5DB1B8B.jpeg

9E6BB0E3-D985-47BE-82C2-E080B054B65F.jpeg

Its not the 27 degree winter days that's the problem its the 30 straight days above 35 in the summer!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, can1983 said:

It’s not the 27 degree winter days that's the problem it’s the 30 straight days above 35 in the summer!

Lived on the S coast for 20 years, not sure I can remember many if any 30 straight days at that temperature, wouldn’t live anywhere else, and I’ve lived in 5 other I countries, including Brunei for 10 years. Not saying you’re wrong have Just googled to try to see when that 30 day temperature was recorded, failed to find it.

The hot temperature here at the moment is unusual that’s why I posted, won’t post again as I don’t want the thread to get sidetracked as my post was supposed to be lighthearted 

Edited by ramot

6 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Lived in the eastern suburbs of Sydney for over 40 years now. Never had a problem....

You're in the Eastern Suburbs, mate. That's why.   I started out living in Bondi, Randwick etc and the sea breezes make an enormous difference to the level of comfort.  Similarly when I lived in the Eastern Suburbs, I barely noticed the mozzie problem.  They like humidity and still air, so they get worse as you go inland.

If I could afford to live in the Eastern suburbs I probably would never have left Sydney.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Lived in the eastern suburbs of Sydney for over 40 years now.

Never had fly screens on any property we've lived in here. Mosquitos not a problem, flies not a problem, spiders not a problem. Cockroaches are the biggest issue; they're endemic in the beachside suburbs and impossible to get rid of entirely though you do get used to them. 

7 hours ago, NickyNook said:

No mosquitos where I live in Sydney. None whatsoever.

You live in one of the most urbanised areas of Sydney, so it's no surprise that insects and other pests aren't a problem. The OP stated that he would like to live in a bushland setting - 'a place that has views of Australian trees from the back deck' - which isn't the eastern suburbs of Sydney.

I lived on Scotland Island for a year which is in the Northern Beaches, so technically part of Sydney. There were mozzies in the millions, cockroaches, spiders, and bull ants the size of your thumb. People are always worried by the snakes and the spiders, but I can assure you if you've ever sit down on a bull ant you will never ever sit down again without looking first!

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Well that's it.  No, no and thrice no.   I'm going to need a plan B.  I can't stand cockroaches and don't want to be dealing with them all the time

A few weeks ago I walked into the kitchen in the middle of the night to get a glass of water and there was this big scrunch, followed by a squishy feeling. Annoyingly I had to clean it all up there and then (including my foot) or you can spread their eggs around the house, and then the little buggers are everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1