Potential move to Sydney

Gbondy

Hello.

My husband has been offered a family relocation to Sydney on Sponsored Visa. 

Before progressing more with his company, i would like to get my facts straight money wise to make sure the move is within our budgets.

I have heard that Sydney is quite expensive, husband will be on roughly $120,000 but not sure what mine will be.

We have 2 children (8 and 12).

Please could someone give me a rough guide on monthly costs (Bills, Food) and also not sure where to even look regarding schools?

Still early days but would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

If it’s a temporary visa (482) then you will be up for school fees which are about $5-6k pa per child so you’ll instantly take $11k off your total.  You don't say if that figure is inclusive of superannuation or not - if it is, then that's even less you will have to play with. Schools will very much depend on where you live and I've lost track of how much Sydney rentals are in places you actually want to live in but I would think you'd be looking at at least between $5-700 a week so $2-3k per month. And what you don't pay in rent you pay more for transport and you'd probably need to be running 2 cars.

We pay everything on card (in Canberra which is similar) and there are only 2 of us, not paying for transport /parking because we are old, owning our own home and the card totals around $6k a month (we dont economise drastically but neither are we great splurgers) so that's an eye watering $72k a year just for general living, insurances, power & utilities, hobbies, house repair etc - I'm sure there are economies we could make but life would be less comfortable. 

The other thing to bear  in mind is that the dependents of temporary visa holders have been reported to have struggled to find work so unless your skill set is in a high need niche then you may find it difficult because employers tend to prefer not to invest in people who could leave in a year or two. 

Good luck! 

So it it's a temp visa as said above you will need 10k for school levy.

On 120 you will take home about 90k.

Take 10 off for school and you are at 80k

Which will be around 6.5k a month

Rental for a 3 bed in a decent area will be 3k, you've probably for 500 on bills so now 3k left

Still got to pay for cars and food and then some fun. 

It's doable but it ain't luxury

If you're coming from London, then you won't find Sydney prices excessive.  From anywhere else, you may be shocked.

It's hard to predict your rental costs without knowing where you'll be living.   When you consider it takes more than two hours to drive from one side of Sydney to the other, you can imagine that rental prices vary hugely across the city.   

You'll find a guide to prices, suburb by suburb, on realestate.com.au.  Notice there's a search box in the top bar where you can search for another suburb:

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighbourhoods/narrabeen-2101-nsw

What does he earn now in London as that seems a low wage to move to Sydney especially on a temporary visa.  If he earns say £100k now he would need at least 2x to 2.5 times that in dollars for similar standard of living so minimum $200k  preferably plus super.

There are websites that give typical pay rates for occupations in various parts of Aus, does this compare favourably?

Gosh that's not a high salary. Remember all the costs around living in Sydney with inferior transport and distances. It goes without saying rents, like London are very high. It would be fine for a young couple perhaps, looking for a change of location for awhile , I'd be very reluctant with two children in tow.

• Like 1

There are a number of surveys relating to the cost of living of world cities. Most indicate that Sydney is cheaper than London, overall.

This particular survey is especially comprehensive:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp

Sydney is generally found in the mid 30's in terms of the cost of living surveys, meaning that it is approximately the 35th city in world rankings.  Melbourne is generally cheaper however  Sydney has a better purchasing power based on the average wage.

I am a Sydney native and I have worked as a government officer through numerous departments right across Sydney for many years and raised a family here.

If you want a bigger picture let me know the general location of the position being offered to your husband. I would be happy to provide further general information. 

Just the fact that the question is ever posed is very suggestive to my mind just how expensive Sydney has become. I 'd say there is little between them these days in cost. London has far more options for spending money though, so that would prove expensive, if took up only a little that was on offer there. 

London is an Alpha world city. Few can compare. Would Sydney reach Beta status, not sure? I suspect the limitations would ensure not. But Sydney will be less hectic. Be in possession of better weather and of course the beaches. Just remember it is a massive urban sprawl, lacking in the transport infrastructure of London , not to mention some less than desirable suburbs. I suspect a lot will depend on where you could afford to live. 

It really requires a careful analysis as to feasibility. Long removed from 1989 when a French family I knew in Central London, could sell their SW 5 apartment and buy something with harbour views in Sydney with money to spare. 

35 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

There are a number of surveys relating to the cost of living of world cities. Most indicate that Sydney is cheaper than London, overall.

I would expect that to be the case, by a fair margin.   That's why I said that someone coming from London would not have any problem with costs.   What I said was that anyone coming from a regional British city would find the costs high.   I always find it's worth pointing that out, because a lot of Brits don't seem to appreciate that Sydney is an international city on the world stage.   

Recently there was someone from somewhere in the North of England asking about Sydney.  I said, "if your partner was offered a job in London, would you move?" and their answer was, "oh no, too big and bustling for us, and we'd have to live in a shoebox".  It transpired their idea of life in Sydney was probably closer to life in, say, Port Macquarie. 

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, Quoll said:

If it’s a temporary visa (482) then you will be up for school fees which are about $5-6k pa per child so you’ll instantly take $11k off your total.  You don't say if that figure is inclusive of superannuation or not - if it is, then that's even less you will have to play with. Schools will very much depend on where you live and I've lost track of how much Sydney rentals are in places you actually want to live in but I would think you'd be looking at at least between $5-700 a week so $2-3k per month. And what you don't pay in rent you pay more for transport and you'd probably need to be running 2 cars.

We pay everything on card (in Canberra which is similar) and there are only 2 of us, not paying for transport /parking because we are old, owning our own home and the card totals around $6k a month (we dont economise drastically but neither are we great splurgers) so that's an eye watering $72k a year just for general living, insurances, power & utilities, hobbies, house repair etc - I'm sure there are economies we could make but life would be less comfortable. 

The other thing to bear  in mind is that the dependents of temporary visa holders have been reported to have struggled to find work so unless your skill set is in a high need niche then you may find it difficult because employers tend to prefer not to invest in people who could leave in a year or two. 

Good luck! 

Wow if you are flinging around over $70k a year you must be living well..

I'd be surprised if i spend more than $30K.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Wow if you are flinging around over $70k a year you must be living well..

I'd be surprised if i spend more than $30K.

I disagree, there's no way we could live on 30K a year and we're in Perth. Quoll's living expenses sound much more realistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drumbeat said:

I disagree, there's no way we could live on 30K a year and we're in Perth. Quoll's living expenses sound much more realistic.

I'm speaking as a person who owns their home so no rent or mortgage. Is the average household income in Sydney that high?

I'm sure a lot of people get by on less than $72K after tax was my point. Not everyone is a high income earner.

Edited by Parley

15 minutes ago, Parley said:

I'm speaking as a person who owns their home so no rent or mortgage. Is the average household income in Sydney that high?

I'm sure a lot of people get by on less than $72K after tax was my point. Not everyone is a high income earner.

Thing being of course, is the likelihood the OP wants to be in a position more than just 'getting by'. Why bother to up turn life to just get by in Sydney? Quite likely in a very ordinary suburb as well far from the icons. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Parley said:

No rent or mortgage here either and we don't live a lavish lifestyle and have recently retired.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I would expect that to be the case, by a fair margin.   That's why I said that someone coming from London would not have any problem with costs.   What I said was that anyone coming from a regional British city would find the costs high.   I always find it's worth pointing that out, because a lot of Brits don't seem to appreciate that Sydney is an international city on the world stage.   

Recently there was someone from somewhere in the North of England asking about Sydney.  I said, "if your partner was offered a job in London, would you move?" and their answer was, "oh no, too big and bustling for us, and we'd have to live in a shoebox".  It transpired their idea of life in Sydney was probably closer to life in, say, Port Macquarie. 

Sydney is a world city by Australian standards but remotely akin to London. I suspect most Brit's are indeed aware of Sydney's relevance in status, (those with an interest anyway) Most would be less likely aware of Melbourne's role though. 

I'd suggest London is far more bustling than Sydney. The North of England person had a point. One just needs to look at stats with regards to how many people  per sq kilometer to understand the difference. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Sydney is a world city by Australian standards but remotely akin to London. I suspect most Brit's are indeed aware of Sydney's relevance in status, (those with an interest anyway) Most would be less likely aware of Melbourne's role though. 

I'd suggest London is far more bustling than Sydney. The North of England person had a point. One just needs to look at stats with regards to how many people  per sq kilometer to understand the difference. 

That may be the case but also arguable nonetheless. Lets not forget that the Poster was looking for helpful information:

17 hours ago, Gbondy said:

My Husband has been offered a family relocation to Sydney on Sponsored Visa. 

1 minute ago, Blue Flu said:

Us neither in Perth. (no rent or mortgage) But then I'm not even sure what a lavish life in Perth would really entail?  

Dinner out twice a week, once fine dining, bought coffee daily, cafe breakfast once a week, gym membership, nice wine a few times a week, two holidays a year plus city breaks in Sydney or Melbourne.  A new car every 3 years.  That should bring it up a bit 🙂

• Like 1

We've had this question before, and it depends entirely on what your expectations are.  Will you be able to buy a house after a year or two, live within 20-30 minutes commute of the city and also the beach on that money?  Not a chance, just like the equivalent ~£50k in London.  Might it be fun for a few years if you are up for it and not expecting to save any money along the way?  Yes.  Personally we decided to move to Perth rather than struggle to achieve what we want in Sydney on ~$200k.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Dinner out twice a week, once fine dining, bought coffee daily, cafe breakfast once a week, gym membership, nice wine a few times a week, two holidays a year plus city breaks in Sydney or Melbourne.  A new car every 3 years.  That should bring it up a bit 🙂

Do most those things. Actually eating out in Perth is more costlier than Sydney/Melbourne from my experience. There was a time in the late nineties when we ate out probably at least three times a week. These days that would cost a small fortune. Even the cheapest for two there wouldn't be much change (if any) from $100 with a bottle of wine . Hence these days not so frivolous , but Perth really was that much more affordable all those years ago. 

I used to drink two coffees a day outside with a muffin or similar. Hardly bother with coffee at all these days, unless meeting up and then usually more a brunch or breakfast. 

New car. Not a car person by a long chalk. Present car, purchased new in 2017, still only 25,000Kms on the clock. I'd be more than happy to not own a car, just renting when required for longer trips. As we live near everything , we are not obliged to use the car as most tend to. Even so around us, others use their car to go five minutes to the local 24 hour IGA. Although Inner City many never walk, unless it's walking the pooch. Very different to London. I guess parts of Sydney as well.

The holiday part is where we would easily way over spend. We were doing different Continents before the corona hit  But even simple holidays in WA cost plenty. There is a valid reason why Bali and Thailand are so very popular. Namely it is so expensive to holiday at home and honestly not worth the money. 

I recall the days when ate out in London most every night. Not a lavish lifestyle by any means, but a lifestyle that allowed that in the days where cheaper eating venues were still to be found. 

These days we eat out once a week usually in our area, which is one of the main 'going out areas' of Perth. We still go to music gigs (quite a few British events actually) and splash out at them. Hardly lavish though. 

29 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We've had this question before, and it depends entirely on what your expectations are.  Will you be able to buy a house after a year or two, live within 20-30 minutes commute of the city and also the beach on that money?  Not a chance, just like the equivalent ~£50k in London.  Might it be fun for a few years if you are up for it and not expecting to save any money along the way?  Yes.  Personally we decided to move to Perth rather than struggle to achieve what we want in Sydney on ~$200k.

I suspect the only way is to arrive with a shed load of money obtained through inflated London real estate that will allow a decent fist with the ability to obtain a Sydney pile , with location in mind. Otherwise an exercise with questionable probable outcomes. Especially with kids in tow. 

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

That may be the case but also arguable nonetheless. Lets not forget that the Poster was looking for helpful information:

I'd have thought pointing out the differing sq kilo population measurement as added information into both cities differing offerings. I don't see anything ambiguous  (arguable) about population density, when London comes in at something in the range of 5,701 people per sq kilo while Sydney almost countryside setting rates along the score of 442 per sq kilo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

That would do it. That sounds like a $70k a year lifestyle.

• 2 months later...
On 03/11/2021 at 23:24, Gbondy said:

I have heard that Sydney is quite expensive, husband will be on roughly $120,000 but not sure what mine will be.

Hello

$120,000 is a decent wage, plus whatever you earn ; lucky you two

The average wage in Sydney is $77,000

Yes, Sydney can be expensive, but that is depending where in Sydney you live

How you budget and survive, depends on your lifestyle. If you send your children to public school, that will obviously be cheaper than a private school. The further you live from the CBD, the cheaper it is for house prices. The further away you are from tourist holiday areas, the cheaper it is for food, petrol and pharmaceuticals.

(i.e.) I live in a tourist holiday area, but buy my petrol 30kms away near work, as consistently 40 cents a litre cheaper near work.

So impossible to say if you can afford it, as too many factors to take into consideration.