Potential move to Sydney

Gbondy

4 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Hello

$120,000 is a decent wage, plus whatever you earn ; lucky you two

The average wage in Sydney is $77,000

Yes, Sydney can be expensive, but that is depending where in Sydney you live

How you budget and survive, depends on your lifestyle. If you send your children to public school, that will obviously be cheaper than a private school. The further you live from the CBD, the cheaper it is for house prices. The further away you are from tourist holiday areas, the cheaper it is for food, petrol and pharmaceuticals.

(i.e.) I live in a tourist holiday area, but buy my petrol 30kms away near work, as consistently 40 cents a litre cheaper near work.

So impossible to say if you can afford it, as too many factors to take into consideration.

Further out are increased travel costs and less infrastructure. Not sure what life quality that would enable. Is food really cheaper? Most think of Sydney as a waterside city . Living out in some dreary burb may not seem worth the effort for many.

11 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

How you budget and survive, depends on your lifestyle.

The point is that most people want to do more than survive!  Most people come to Australia for a better lifestyle, not to scrimp, or to settle for a smaller home, or to live two hours from the nearest beach. 

I would say, if you have to live in Sydney for work, then you can certainly find cheaper suburbs and make a moderate income stretch. However, if you don't have to live in Sydney, then everywhere else in Australia will be cheaper.   For the price of living in the outer suburbs in Sydney, you'll get much closer to the action in any other city.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Hello

$120,000 is a decent wage, plus whatever you earn ; lucky you two

The average wage in Sydney is $77,000

How you budget and survive, depends on your lifestyle. If you send your children to public school, that will obviously be cheaper than a private school. The further you live from the CBD, the cheaper it is for house prices. The further away you are from tourist holiday areas, the cheaper it is for food, petrol and pharmaceuticals.

(i.e.) I live in a tourist holiday area, but buy my petrol 30kms away near work, as consistently 40 cents a litre cheaper near work.

So impossible to say if you can afford it, as too many factors to take into consideration.

The average wage includes young people in hospitality jobs and those who are low income earners who paid off their mortgage years ago and don't need a high income.

The average person probably lives west of Parramatta where its always 5 degrees hotter with no breeze and not a beach to be seen

I suppose the 'average person' has actually paid off their mortgage in Sydney. But there are millions who haven't and for those people $120k a year is no where near enough to live a decent standard of living. My partner and I earned $200k between us in 2013 and that paid the rent in the flat build in a back garden of someone's house in a nice area and allowed us to save a bit but it would never support a mortgage on a house and never the needs of a family.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, can1983 said:

The average wage includes young people in hospitality jobs and those who are low income earners who paid off their mortgage years ago and don't need a high income.

The average person probably lives west of Parramatta where its always 5 degrees hotter with no breeze and not a beach to be seen

I suppose the 'average person' has actually paid off their mortgage in Sydney. But there are millions who haven't and for those people $120k a year is no where near enough to live a decent standard of living. My partner and I earned $200k between us in 2013 and that paid the rent in the flat build in a back garden of someone's house in a nice area and allowed us to save a bit but it would never support a mortgage on a house and never the needs of a family.

Pretty much underlines the wages/salary paid to the majority, is no longer sustainable to obtain a lifestyle, once taken for granted in Sydney . (Australia in general) This has been the case for sometime with the resulting fall in living standards.  . 

4 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Pretty much underlines the wages/salary paid to the majority, is no longer sustainable to obtain a lifestyle, once taken for granted in Sydney . (Australia in general) This has been the case for sometime with the resulting fall in living standards.  . 

Of course, it sucks, and for those of us with children how on earth will they get any kind of lifestyle in the future 😞

We managed to get into a very good lifestyle here in Hobart at pretty much the last opportunity (literally a year or two before it too became impossible to buy a home offering a good lifestyle on a real world income)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, can1983 said:

Of course, it sucks, and for those of us with children how on earth will they get any kind of lifestyle in the future 😞

We managed to get into a very good lifestyle here in Hobart at pretty much the last opportunity (literally a year or two before it too became impossible to buy a home offering a good lifestyle on a real world income)

You were indeed lucky. The race downwards has been somewhat incredible, if not unexpected to watch. The rot started in the eighties , building up momentum over the following decades. I'm at a bit of a loss just why people would immigrate to Australia these days, if not fleeing political persecution or some developing world countries but even that is not so clear cut.  

• Haha 1

On 20/01/2022 at 00:32, Blue Flu said:

Further out are increased travel costs and less infrastructure. Not sure what life quality that would enable. Is food really cheaper? Most think of Sydney as a waterside city . Living out in some dreary burb may not seem worth the effort for many.

Your opinion. Not mine.

It takes about two hours to drive from one side of Sydney to the other, so not sure why people would think Sydney is a waterside city. And given not everybody likes water, not sure why that is even a factor.

Most suburbs in Sydney have good infrastructure - shops, hospitals, schools, leisure centres, restaurants, cafes, etc..., so no need to live or work in the CBD

A majority of the people I know, actually work close to where they live. It takes me 35 minutes to drive to work. But most people I know, can either walk to work, or live within a ten minute drive. So even if you lived on the outer fringes, chances are you could find work nearby. 

And it depends on your definition of dreary. I live near the beach which I love. But I would be quite happy living in the Blue Mountains too. 

But if you want to live in a dreary outer burb with no infrastructure.....that is your prerogative

Most people would do their research and choose more wisely.

On 20/01/2022 at 08:58, can1983 said:

The average wage is $77,000.

Therefore, $120,000 is way above average.

And (depending on your lifestyle) you can live very well on it.

I live a good life on considerably less than $77,000. 

You were indeed lucky. The race downwards has been somewhat incredible, if not unexpected to watch. The rot started in the eighties , building up momentum over the following decades. I'm at a bit of a loss just why people would immigrate to Australia these days, if not fleeing political persecution or some developing world countries but even that is not so clear cut.  

Your a proper ray of sunshine aren’t you?
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

You took my comment out of context - you misunderstood 

No, I didn't.  I'm commenting from my own experience of having lived in Sydney for over 30 years. 

I understand that you're able to live comfortably on less than $80,000 as a single renter.  The OP is married with children, so that's four people who have to be housed and fed, plus school fees and medical expenses on a temp contract.   

When I lived in Sydney, I knew so many people like you, happily living in a beachside suburb as a singleton.  It's a great lifestyle and what Sydney is all about (been there, done that).  But when they got married and started a family, nearly all of them had to move West to afford a proper home for their children. There are some lovely neighbourhoods out West but it's like a totally different city. You say people can find work close to home, but people in the corporate world don't have that choice - the big companies all have their offices in the CBD, or in Parramatta if you're lucky.  

As for driving across Sydney in two hours - yes you can, but not in rush hour. I lived in Oatley (great little suburb by the way, more like a village).  Outside rush hour, it's a 20 minute drive to the CBD.  In rush hour, it takes an hour, and sometimes it took me over two hours. Luckily it's a good train line, but on the days I needed the car for work, it was a nightmare.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Your opinion. Not mine.

It takes about two hours to drive from one side of Sydney to the other, so not sure why people would think Sydney is a waterside city. And given not everybody likes water, not sure why that is even a factor.

Most suburbs in Sydney have good infrastructure - shops, hospitals, schools, leisure centres, restaurants, cafes, etc..., so no need to live or work in the CBD

A majority of the people I know, actually work close to where they live. It takes me 35 minutes to drive to work. But most people I know, can either walk to work, or live within a ten minute drive. So even if you lived on the outer fringes, chances are you could find work nearby. 

And it depends on your definition of dreary. I live near the beach which I love. But I would be quite happy living in the Blue Mountains too. 

But if you want to live in a dreary outer burb with no infrastructure.....that is your prerogative

Most people would do their research and choose more wisely.

Most people these days are increasingly limited in chose, owing to the huge cost of Sydney housing. I don't say only Sydney suburbs are dreary all Australian possess such places, most usually on the outskirts that possess poor infrastructure  and people only live due to affordability. Many abroad, at least, do have in mind a waterside city, it's what most all pictures show of that city. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Your a proper ray of sunshine aren’t you?

If the rain is leaking through your roof, no use pretending it's only due to the shower being used. Obviously many would prefer to live in an alternative world of mums apple pie and cream, but really only pie in the sky. 

3 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

The average wage is $77,000.

Therefore, $120,000 is way above average.

And (depending on your lifestyle) you can live very well on it.

I live a good life on considerably less than $77,000. 

Live considerably well on less than $77,000? In Sydney? Am I reading right.?  Are you not paying utility bills, rent or mortgage or going out? 

26 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

If the rain is leaking through your roof, no use pretending it's only due to the shower being used. Obviously many would prefer to live in an alternative world of mums apple pie and cream, but i  only pie in the sky. 

I am perfectly aware of what's going on here in Devonport.  There is a fair share of shifty looking shysters living around the place.  Meet plenty of poor souls and also drug affected people through the voluntary work I do.  However unlike your neighbourhood the police know exactly what's what and keep an eye on certain goings on.  I know the certain areas of town where most of the nefarious stuff is happening.  Doesn't mean to say the whole town is crime ridden.  Most of the place is trouble free and a really good place to live.  I never think twice about walking after dark for example and I've never heard of anyone being attacked walking on their own at night.                                                                                                                                     

• Like 1

To add to my post above, we were never burgled in the many years we lived in Sydney and I always felt safe there.  There were areas I wouldn't have wanted to live in I have to say but always enjoyed living in North Ryde.  Don't know how much it's changed in the last 8 years though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No, I didn't.  I'm commenting from my own experience of having lived in Sydney for over 30 years. 

Mmmm 🙂 

Yes. You did.

Since I was speaking from my own experiences. Not yours.

I probably worded my post wrong, and that is what caused the misunderstanding. Apologies. 

Brain too wine sloshed to make corrections now, so will have to leave be, and be misunderstood by everyone for ever more

Oh well......

If the rain is leaking through your roof, no use pretending it's only due to the shower being used. Obviously many would prefer to live in an alternative world of mums apple pie and cream, but really only pie in the sky. 

I have no idea what that means, All I’ll say is that you are an absolute misery

Most people on here including myself have fully embraced the move to Australia and love every minute of it
I wish you would stop jumping on every post and giving your utterly negative opinion
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Toots said:

To add to my post above, we were never burgled in the many years we lived in Sydney and I always felt safe there.  There were areas I wouldn't have wanted to live in I have to say but always enjoyed living in North Ryde.  Don't know how much it's changed in the last 8 years though.

No, it hasn't. I still have relatives and friends living there.  They've never been burgled.  I was never burgled in over 30 years and I lived in a variety of suburbs, North, South, East and West.  LIke all big cities, there are safe suburbs and rough suburbs.  Also you lock your doors and windows.  Sensible precautions not over-the-top.

Of course there are still drug issues etc under the surface even in the best suburbs but that's the same the world over.  The only time drug issues intruded on my life was when I was working in an office in Potts Point.  I was very careful about working late etc because I knew it was a drug haunt.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

On 22/01/2022 at 11:24, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I have no idea what that means, All I’ll say is that you are an absolute misery

Most people on here including myself have fully embraced the move to Australia and love every minute of it
I wish you would stop jumping on every post and giving your utterly negative opinion

Actually you sound as only a sanitized version of events or indeed words that agree with your world view of Australia are valid to the Mcguinnessp version. People have varied points  of view as very evident on a forum as this. Fully embracing Australia has little to do with critique much of which should be discussed in order to provide balance and provoke discussion perhaps, rather than a partisan view that all is Disney like Down Under. 

Allow me to explain what appears to have escaped your understanding. When your roof is leaking, it is futile to blame it on the shower. There is an actual problem that requires attending to with the roof. 

Feel free to post any opinion on any tread and I won't complain about over positivity or naivety . Promise. Of course the most simple way to handle the matter would be to simply ignore my posts. 

On 22/01/2022 at 08:47, Toots said:

I've never been burgled over many decades in Australia either. Have had stuff stolen on a few occasions from washing line when living in Darwin  and a bicycle stolen from outside even though locked. 

Contrary experienced a total of five break-ins in London over the course of perhaps a decade. 

On 22/01/2022 at 08:41, Toots said:

I am perfectly aware of what's going on here in Devonport.  There is a fair share of shifty looking shysters living around the place.  Meet plenty of poor souls and also drug affected people through the voluntary work I do.  However unlike your neighbourhood the police know exactly what's what and keep an eye on certain goings on.  I know the certain areas of town where most of the nefarious stuff is happening.  Doesn't mean to say the whole town is crime ridden.  Most of the place is trouble free and a really good place to live.  I never think twice about walking after dark for example and I've never heard of anyone being attacked walking on their own at night.                                                                                                                                     

No idea about Devonport apart from what I read on line with regards to drug issues. I suspect few get what I'm really attempting to outline when it comes to drugs in Perth. I have observed at close quarters just what is happening around me (had no idea until a couple of years back) and let me put it this way, the GDP of the inner city has been boosted considerably by illegal activities. Not drug consumption necessarily, but its manufacture. Reason I'm a big supporter in the legalization of drugs. The problem is where I sit it has become mainstream . Perth is from what I read the second biggest methamphetamine consuming city in the world after Adelaide. I know a number of people simply don't care or others simply  profiting . I see it on a daily basis. This is not inferring the inner city where I live, at any rate, is dangerous. In fact it's an area of closed curtains, little sign of life and people generally not wanting to draw attention to themselves. 

Edited by Blue Flu