Does anyone else feel homesick when...

Wanderer Returns

18 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

My son’s friend is going to the final.  He’s paid £1200 for the ticket!  Sounds such a lot but it will be such a memory.  You’d pay that for a holiday so why not if you can afford it I guess.

My sons mate is going to the final.  He’s paid £1200 for the ticket!

thats a lot.....I remember going to Euro 2000 in Charleroi and getting a ticket on the black market for the game against the Germans (we won 1-0) and paying £180 for it back then and thinking that it was a fortune to pay but well worth it after we won.....in contrast when you are a member of the supporters club and go to games at Wembley and around the World you get access to tickets at face value, I paid £70 (85 Euros) each for my 2 semi tickets.

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Have you seen the Vindaloo Two song with Will Mellor? It’s really good. 

no but someone told me they performed it Boxpark Wembley before one of the games.....I couldnt get in to Boxpark for any of the matches but we managed to get tickets for it for the final so hoping for a great build up to the game!

5 hours ago, Bulya said:

You obviously haven’t been in Melbourne at Grand Final time…

You are correct, but know English that have and claimed it a pale comparison to when England go off. I have witnessed numerous times at World Cup fixtures though. Probably the best and worst of all fans, but dull never. Australia on the other hand were dull (seen three Australia games to date)  to say the least in comparison. I know what is termed soccer here, isn't as big a deal , but same with cricket. Barmy Army out wits/sings/chants Australia on every level. 

On 09/07/2021 at 11:43, Paul1Perth said:

Don't feel homesick but I enjoyed the game against Denmark. I downloaded it as we don't have Optus. Good thing about downloading is the guys who rip it are good enough to take the half time break out and no add breaks.

Surprised how good the English team are. Don't even know who half the team are but best English performance I've ever seen. Who'd have thought England would have a couple of centre backs who can really play, happy with ball at their feet and not just be hoofing it down the ground. Some really skillfull players and all of them working hard, looking like they wanted the ball, playing with confidence.

The penalty might have been a bit lucky but they deserved to win.

@Paul1Perth Hi Paul, a heads-up - you don't need to subscribe to Optus to watch the final because they are (generously) live-streaming it for free. All you need to do is go to the Optus Sport website. I appreciate that given the 3am kick-off time in Perth, you may still wish to download it and watch it later! 🙂 

• Like 1

On 09/07/2021 at 11:43, Paul1Perth said:

Surprised how good the English team are. Don't even know who half the team are but best English performance I've ever seen. Who'd have thought England would have a couple of centre backs who can really play, happy with ball at their feet and not just be hoofing it down the ground. Some really skillfull players and all of them working hard, looking like they wanted the ball, playing with confidence.

On 09/07/2021 at 12:08, Johnny Kash said:

Agree, its great to actually see players playing for England who actually want to play for them and look like they're enjoying it.

What a change from the 'golden generation' who (Beckham and Ferdinand apart) didn't seem to give a toss about playing for their country and remember even bang average players like Jamie Carragher openly saying he always put club before country and didn't really enjoy playing for his country.

Cant help but wonder if some of these no marks are looking at whats happening now with some regret.

I was chatting about this with a friend the other day, and he quite-rightly pointed out that back in the 'good old days' half the players were on the p*ss, and they weren't fully match fit a lot of the time. There was no shortage of talent or enthusiasm - just look at Gazza. He could've been one of the greats, but instead we remember him more for his off-pitch antics. In the last 20 years there's been a seismic shift away from the drinking culture for many young Brits - statistics say that a quarter of 20-somethings are completely teetotal. The pub may still be the focal point of socializing for many of our generation, but not for the younger ones, who rely heavily on social media. This has also permeated sport, which has become far more competitive, and with more countries competing at the highest level players need to at the top of their game. Let's hope it's a fantastic final on Sunday (or Monday morning for us), and the enormous weight of expectation on the English players doesn't affect their performance.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

You are correct, but know English that have and claimed it a pale comparison to when England go off. I have witnessed numerous times at World Cup fixtures though. Probably the best and worst of all fans, but dull never. Australia on the other hand were dull (seen three Australia games to date)  to say the least in comparison. I know what is termed soccer here, isn't as big a deal , but same with cricket. Barmy Army out wits/sings/chants Australia on every level. 

Go to Melbourne during grand final time and then you’ll get it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@Paul1Perth Hi Paul, a heads-up - you don't need to subscribe to Optus to watch the final because they are (generously) live-streaming it for free. All you need to do is go to the Optus Sport website. I appreciate that given the 3am kick-off time in Perth, you may still wish to download it and watch it later! 🙂 

Thanks for that mate. I had a pretty bad wipeout in big swell on my surf ski this morning and my foot got caught in the footstrap. Thought I'd done something bad when I was swimming in. 6 stitches in my toe, massive swelled foot and a break in my tibula. Moon boot on and crutches for a while so I may as well watch it live.

• Sad 6

On 08/07/2021 at 18:55, ramot said:

In case anyone doesn’t know You can load Stan for a free trial at the moment so I can watch all Wimbledon live and someone has said  the England match will be on.?  I can only load it on my iPad, still trying to see if I can get it to work on the tv.

23 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Absolutely not....but then I've no interest whatsoever in football and most sports. I'm more intetested in Ash Barty and her first Wimbledon final. 

That should be good too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I was chatting about this with a friend the other day, and he quite-rightly pointed out that back in the 'good old days' half the players were on the p*ss, and they weren't fully match fit a lot of the time. There was no shortage of talent or enthusiasm - just look at Gazza. He could've been one of the greats, but instead we remember him more for his off-pitch antics. In the last 20 years there's been a seismic shift away from the drinking culture for many young Brits - statistics say that a quarter of 20-somethings are completely teetotal. The pub may still be the focal point of socializing for many of our generation, but not for the younger ones, who rely heavily on social media. This has also permeated sport, which has become far more competitive, and with more countries competing at the highest level players need to at the top of their game. Let's hope it's a fantastic final on Sunday (or Monday morning for us), and the enormous weight of expectation on the English players doesn't affect their performance.

There will be tears either way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Thanks for that mate. I had a pretty bad wipeout in big swell on my surf ski this morning and my foot got caught in the footstrap. Thought I'd done something bad when I was swimming in. 6 stitches in my toe, massive swelled foot and a break in my tibula. Moon boot on and crutches for a while so I may as well watch it live.

Oh no!!! Hope you heal quickly 

• Like 2

On 09/07/2021 at 07:22, kungfustu said:

eh? never had a side good enough? from 2000 to about 2010 we had a team littered with world class players, scholes was picked out by Zidane as the best player he has played against, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Owen, Shearer, Rooney how long have you got.....youv'e been out out of the scene for way too long Paul to know much if anything about our England team.....having the players was never an issue.....in fact the problems back then were not only the rivalry between clubs but trying to fit all these world class players into one team.....Gareth has changed the whole feel.....there is a unity now that wasnt there 10 or 15 years ago.....no rivalry and I think this generation of young people have a different outlook to past generations and that rubs off on the pitch.....oppositions always new they could get under the skin of one or two of our players and get a reaction......that doesnt happen anymore.....Italians will be a whole different proposition and we will need to be at our absolute best and need a big big chunk of luck to come through it.....if we win you can dine out on your English heritage for a few years Paul.......................................................through gritted teeth😂

You are too right. I've never seen England play like this before. They are playing like a team, which sounds strange, but I've never seen England play like a team before. Italy are going to be hard. They will try every trick in the book. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Get well soon and don't go stir crazy in the meantime.  😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Sorry to hear that, get better soon xM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Australia is dangerous mate..

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Hope you make a speedy recovery, Paul - and don't break the other toe doing a celebration dance on Monday morning! 😉 

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Oh heck.  I had a moonboot after I broke my ankle and they're a real pain.  Make sure you go to a good physio after the boot is removed even if the doc says it's not necessary.  I think most doctors are fairly inactive people and have no idea.   The muscles in that leg will be in bad shape after it's removed and if you try to go back to your usual activity without professional rehab, you'll end up injuring something else, guaranteed.

• Like 2

I used to love football and still have a passing interest.

But when you get used to AFL then if you try to watch soccer it is very slow to watch. Dare i say a bit boring. Too much slow ball movement and not enough scoring.

I still enjoy good tennis but mostly watch AFL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Parley said:

But when you get used to AFL then if you try to watch soccer it is very slow to watch. Dare i say a bit boring. Too much slow ball movement and not enough scoring.

AFL and NRL for our family.  Men’s football!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

You're having a laugh, aren't you?! In games involving the oval ball they're stopping every couple of minutes for some kind of set play, and that kills the drama for me. I enjoy watching it from time to time, but there's nothing like the level of skill involved that there is in football. The only reason that football hasn't ever caught on over here is that the Aussies just aren't that good at it, and when it comes to sport, I hate to say it but Australians are only interested in what they can win at!

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

You're having a laugh, aren't you?! In games involving the oval ball they're stopping every couple of minutes for some kind of set play, and that kills the drama for me. I enjoy watching it from time to time, but there's nothing like the level of skill involved that there is in football. The only reason that football hasn't ever caught on over here is that the Aussies just aren't that good at it, and when it comes to sport, I hate to say it but Australians are only interested in what they can win at!

The fact they had to invent a penalty shootout to make it exciting sort of speaks for itself.

20 hours ago, Bulya said:

Australia is dangerous mate..

No, it was my own fault. I knew I would have to pick my wave to go in, went in a bit too far, looked behind and there was a monster wave building that I knew I didn't have time to paddle into. I tried to catch it. Should have just bailed and swum in.