Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

5 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Never been to Finland but must be a great country for rough camping or parking a van free anywhere in the forest or around there numerous lakes. I recall the days when it was an Aussie/Kiwi rite of passage to purchase a van outside Australia House later moved elsewhere due to traffic congestion. 

The annoying thing with Euro driving in countries like France and Portugal is the traffic. (besides some of the driving) It takes so long to get anywhere at least to popular destinations. Easy to forget the negatives . 

Actually the standard is reversed. Pre-Covid there had been an army of Europeans, Asian and North Americans mostly coming to Australia for road trips and camping and holidaying. Yes there was at one time whereby young Aussies and Kiwis flocked to the UK and Europe seeking out the Volkswagen Camper bus. Yet that was way back then. There a very few VW campers on the road today. The new standard includes campervans, camper trailers and caravans, the latter  with toilet, shower,air con, and solar panels which basically keep you powered up almost indefinitely. I had a 1974 VW 1.8L camper and it never had those features.

Now however, locals and internationals had flocked ( Pre-Covid) to Australia given that you could camp in over 3000 free designated camping sites, some with basic facilities and others with more up market facilities  and you could travel 4000kms (the distance from London to the Ural Mountains 1000kms west of Moscow as an example in European terms)) without the need to encounter language issues, passports, customs or traffic.

I am just wondering whether or not that, due to Brexit ( and Covid), those halcyon days scooting across Europe in a campervan out of the UK, will continue.

Edited by Dusty Plains

33 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Actually the standard is reversed. Pre-Covid there had been an army of Europeans, Asian and North Americans mostly coming to Australia for road trips and camping and holidaying. Yes there was at one time whereby young Aussies and Kiwis flocked to the UK and Europe seeking out the Volkswagen Camper bus. Yet that was way back then. There a very few VW campers on the road today. The new standard includes campervans, camper trailers and caravans, the latter  with toilet, shower,air con, and solar panels which basically keep you powered up almost indefinitely. I had a 1974 VW 1.8L camper and it never had those features.

Now however, locals and internationals had flocked ( Pre-Covid) to Australia given that you could camp in over 3000 free designated camping sites, some with basic facilities and others with more up market facilities  and you could travel 4000kms (the distance from London to the Ural Mountains 1000kms west of Moscow as an example in European terms)) without the need to encounter language issues, passports, customs or traffic.

I am just wondering whether or not that, due to Brexit ( and Covid), those halcyon days scooting across Europe in a campervan out of the UK, will continue.

1000kms EAST of Moscow

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Exactly!  That's what struck me forcibly when I was in the UK.  When I was growing up, we never went abroad - I remember going to Spain for the first time in my 20's, how exciting - but now, most Brits seem to go abroad once a year and some even twice, not to mention the occasional cheapie weekend trip.  And for some, especially some of the retired people I met, it felt like all they did for the rest of the year was save up for and look forward to their holidays. Almost as if they're only really living for their few weeks abroad each year.  

Many retired people go for a two/three month holiday over our winter.  Lots of the Spanish hotels do all inclusive packages off season and include the odd game of bingo and other bits of entertainment.  Many people I’ve spoken to say it’s so cheap there’s little difference in cost to being at home with the heating blasting out, all your other bills and your food shopping. 

14 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Many retired people go for a two/three month holiday over our winter.  Lots of the Spanish hotels do all inclusive packages off season and include the odd game of bingo and other bits of entertainment.  Many people I’ve spoken to say it’s so cheap there’s little difference in cost to being at home with the heating blasting out, all your other bills and your food shopping. 

We use to go to Spain at Xmas and as you say it was full of pensioners, they loved it.

State pension easily covered the hotel with all meals included.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Well, strictly speaking, you mean "proper shop-bought British mint sauce".    The commercially-produced stuff has added thickener to make it gluggy.

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Real-Mint-Sauce-2266363

If you want to float some chopped up mint leaves on vinegar and call it mint sauce that is ok too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_sauce&ved=2ahUKEwiwrN2x8ffwAhUIkRQKHV0YC90QFjARegQIHxAC&usg=AOvVaw3WeXVBNatfoh08Yb0aeCNe&cshid=1622600511069

15 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Makes sense. Can you still get your pension?

52 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Authentic mint sauce competition. 🤣 

When politics is off the table.....

Impossible to find an impartial judge, though.  People who have grown up with artificially-thickened mint sauce are going to like that better than the runny home-made or chef-made stuff.

Times change.

The food i got as a kid was the meat and 2 veg sort of stuff.

The thought of a curry, stir fry or pasta was never heard of.

Lamb chops (with mint jelly), potatoes and peas/beans was a staple, and fish fingers would be a treat or a change for a bit of variety.

There would be hell to pay if you tried not to eat all your peas. One day when i was a kid I kept all the peas in my mouth and spat them out after Dad had left the room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Parley said:

Times change.

The food i got as a kid was the meat and 2 veg sort of stuff.

The thought of a curry, stir fry or pasta was never heard of.

Lamb chops (with mint jelly), potatoes and peas/beans was a staple, and fish fingers would be a treat or a change for a bit of variety.

There would be hell to pay if you tried not to eat all your peas. One day when i was a kid I kept all the peas in my mouth and spat them out after Dad had left the room.

We used to feed food to the dog if we didn't want it. I think the post war no waste generation insisting that we clear out plates has a lot to do with the obesity crisis. That and the sugar in our diet.

But my mum must have been unusual. We had prawn curry, Italian, stir fried. She must have been one of the first to own a wok. She loved trying new things.

• Like 2

Impossible to find an impartial judge, though.  People who have grown up with artificially-thickened mint sauce are going to like that better than the runny home-made or chef-made stuff.

I grew up with both and prefer English style but really any will do. I love mint sauce. 

My paternal grandparents had a bitter and hateful relationship and I always recall my Nan tut tutting when my Grandad insisted on making his own mint sauce for the lamb roast. She'd mutter under her breath that his stuff was not as good as the shop bought version and make a point of getting it out to replace Grandad's home made sauce. 

Just now, HappyHeart said:

What do you buy from the UK section in the supermarket?

We get bachelor's mushy peas, paxo stuffing (No good alternative), bisto, Yorkshire pudding mix (husband insists it's 'easier') and occasionally a galaxy or ripple. 

Just let it all go. You're an Aussie now. You don't need all that crap.

• Haha 2
  • Congratulations 1

I was brought up on the thin watery stuff, and it was only when I went to the UK that I saw the thickened stuff. I don't really like either, but I guess the thickened stuff tastes a little better than plain vinegar with mint leaves. Mint jelly is okish, but I guess I'm just not a mint sauce kind of guy.

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Makes sense. Can you still get your pension?

Yes.  They’re still UK residents, just on a long holiday.  It’s a great idea, many return to the same place year after year and meet up with friends they’ve met previously.  

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Yes.  They’re still UK residents, just on a long holiday.  It’s a great idea, many return to the same place year after year and meet up with friends they’ve met previously.  

Even if they move to Spain permanently they still get their UK pension as though they were in the UK.

Its just Canada, Aus and NZ (a handful of others) that have this stupid pension freezing concept applied to them

• Like 1
  • Sad 1