Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

After 12 plus years I still miss:

My old friends (so much)😭

British style curry (and the curry meal deals in Asda and Morrisons)

Massive superstore supermarkets with everything including alcohol on the shelves. 

A decent selection of crisps 

Old fashioned pubs and real ale

Sunday lunch at the in laws or my Dad's. 

Carvery at the Toby 

Proper chocolate

Coastal towns and villages in Wales

Historic Catherdrals 

Villages in the countryside. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Other than family and friends there is pretty much only food i miss,lol

A bury Black Pudding, a good UK curry, English fish and chips ,meat pies, pork pies, cheese and onion pies,lol, the list is endless.... 

Cal x

Yeah mine was mostly food oriented when I started thinking but I wanted to make it balanced lol. 
We get nice Irish black pudding here and several great British style bakeries in Perth for pork pies, pasties etc....I’d forgotten about fish and chips...there’s British chippies here too but not quite as good. Fish, chips and mushy peas or pudding, chips and gravy. Yum. 

59 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

After 12 plus years I still miss:

My old friends (so much)😭

British style curry (and the curry meal deals in Asda and Morrisons)

Massive superstore supermarkets with everything including alcohol on the shelves. 

A decent selection of crisps 

Old fashioned pubs and real ale

Sunday lunch at the in laws or my Dad's. 

Carvery at the Toby 

Proper chocolate

Coastal towns and villages in Wales

Historic Catherdrals 

Villages in the countryside. 

Supermarkets here have ‘alcohol on the shelves’, strange post. And British chocolate really isn’t, it’s vegelate or surrogate chocolate.  That’s why it was banned in Europe for so many years, but now can be sold as Family Milk Chocolate (decided lack of cocoa solids).  And there’s no shortage of old fashioned pubs, in NSW at least…  

Edited by Bulya
Typo

British TV and radio, I can’t stand aussie radio. The other day the hosts were laughing for 10 minutes straight at the thought of riding on a horse naked, I had to switch it off and drive home in silence. 

I miss not paying $55 a kilo for ginger which I like to use in smoothies and cooking with. I miss my old job and colleagues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tom1993 said:

British TV and radio, I can’t stand aussie radio. The other day the hosts were laughing for 10 minutes straight at the thought of riding on a horse naked, I had to switch it off and drive home in silence. 

I miss not paying $55 a kilo for ginger which I like to use in smoothies and cooking with. I miss my old job and colleagues. 

Change stations.  There are a lot of stations…

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tom1993 said:

Oooh good one, Australian radio is complete trash. I relate fully to your description..I often scroll through all available stations in vain hope of something, anything. Often I resort to classic fm.  We stream local UK stations sometimes. Very refreshing. The Australian SOH is not very 'evolved' as a rule...

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 3

I don’t really miss a thing, never have. 

The  clothes and shoe shopping is better in the UK and even better in Europe but I don’t give it much thought.

TV and radio definitely much better in UK, probably missing that more than I used to as I’m not as busy as I used to be.

All the food mentioned above is the food I never much liked so that’s no loss!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don’t really miss a thing, never have. 

The  clothes and shoe shopping is better in the UK and even better in Europe but I don’t give it much thought.

TV and radio definitely much better in UK

All the food mentioned above is the food I never much liked so that’s no loss!

You're in the right place then!! Are you happy in Aus?

12 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

You're in the right place then!! Are you happy in Aus?

As a pig in mud. My hubby (who’s Australian) persuaded me to try retiring back in the UK because he loves holidaying in Europe but it didn’t work out and I am so glad to be back!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

I’ve been here in Adelaide for just coming up to 5 months and here’s the things I’m missing.

Jars of pasta sauce - haven’t managed to find a decent one here yet.

Buying alcohol in a supermarket - I’m not a big drinker, but used to like buying the odd bottle of beer with my groceries.

Smoother road surfaces  - unless you’re on a main freeway.

British bacon - the bacon just doesn’t seem to taste the same here.

NHS - I’ve found the medical system here very good, but I don’t think you’ll ever be able to beat the NHS for what it offers the people of the UK.

Edited by North to South

2 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Central heating radiators and airing cupboards.

I’d struggle without my airing cupboard. I have a hanging rod at the top from one side to the other that I hang washing on and a few slated shelves for smaller bits like underwear. Things dry overnight in my airing cupboard.  It’s an amazing place.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Oooh good one, Australian radio is complete trash. I relate fully to your description..I often scroll through all available stations in vain hope of something, anything. Often I resort to classic fm.  We stream local UK stations sometimes. Very refreshing. The Australian SOH is not very 'evolved' as a rule...

I stream uk stations via Bluetooth when driving to and from work , also DAB has a lot more choice. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Really? 
nice not having the inconvenience of a wall ruined with a radiator. 

Nice when it’s freezing though. In winter when it’s really cold I get home from work, flick the kettle on and stand drinking a cup of tea with my bum against my dining room radiator. Its bliss.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, North to South said:

I’ve been here in Adelaide for just coming up to 5 months and here’s the things I’m missing.

Jars of pasta sauce - haven’t managed to find a decent one here yet.

Buying alcohol in a supermarket - I’m not a big drinker, but used to like buying the odd bottle of beer with my groceries.

Smoother road surfaces  - unless you’re on a main freeway.

British bacon - the bacon just doesn’t seem to taste the same here.

NHS - I’ve found the medical system here very good, but I don’t think you’ll ever be able to beat the NHS for what it offers the people of the UK.

Supermarkets sell alcohol, as does every corner shop…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Nice when it’s freezing though. In winter when it’s really cold I get home from work, flick the kettle on and stand drinking a cup of tea with my bum against my dining room radiator. Its bliss.

Radiators are extremely inefficient heating.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I’d struggle without my airing cupboard. I have a hanging rod at the top from one side to the other that I hang washing on and a few slated shelves for smaller bits like underwear. Things dry overnight in my airing cupboard.  It’s an amazing place.

Is it an airing cupboard because the hot water tank is in the cupboard ?

While i guess having a warm cupboard is handy it seems risky having the hot water tank inside the home. When it dies you could have a major flood. Mine is on an outside wall at the side of the house.

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

Are you in uk then ? 
I personally don’t miss the cold in uk 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

Is it an airing cupboard because the hot water tank is in the cupboard ?

While i guess having a warm cupboard is handy it seems risky having the hot water tank inside the home. When it dies you could have a major flood. Mine is on an outside wall at the side of the house.

When my parents built a house in the 1950s my mother insisted on an airing cupboard over the hot water tank in the laundry.  (This was before the days of tumble dryers).  I must say that in all my many  years I've never had a hot water tank leak.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Stupidly cold here, Mackay tropical coastal Queensland, wet, windy and 18c...

Cheers, Bobj.

You always make me smile / laugh with your reply’s Bob 

it’s a cool 13 in the Hunter with blue skies 

enjoy your day 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skani said:

When my parents built a house in the 1950s my mother insisted on an airing cupboard over the hot water tank in the laundry.  (This was before the days of tumble dryers).  I must say that in all my many  years I've never had a hot water tank leak.   

You would be unlucky. But I did have one which died after about 20 years and water was pouring out of. That was a long time ago now. The new stainless steel tanks are great.

I think though having outside you can have a much bigger tank.